User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Post count (and reputation) removed due to recent post lameness.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: scratt wanted to add a poll to vote on bringing back the counters
No, sillies. 46 30.46%
Leave them in the user CP 27 17.88%
Put them back in the main thread view 45 29.80%
Beer. 33 21.85%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Post count (and reputation) removed due to recent post lameness.
Page 1 of 14 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-05-23, 21:39

That is all.

Much love,
The Overlords

PS. Reputations too.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-05-23, 21:40

What?!!??

It looks so empty on the left now.

So how long will this last?
MrENGLISH™
HerrDEUTSCH™

2006-05-23, 21:47

Why do I feel like I am to blame for this...
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-05-23, 21:51

But I was just about to hit 1400! Khaaaaaaaan!
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2006-05-23, 21:54

I was two posts away from 500. I was saving it for something special. I think I'm going to cry and remember how warm and squishy I felt when I got green dots.

Meeeemories. Like from that Brooooadway play Caaats. Meeeeemories.
colivigan
Veteran Member

2006-05-23, 22:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie
It looks so empty on the left now.
Brad just needed to free up the space for avatars.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2006-05-23, 22:06

How does this affect who can post in the Bazaar?
rasmits
rams it

2006-05-23, 22:12

boo!

I just hit 1,000.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-05-23, 22:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrENGLISH™
Why do I feel like I am to blame for this...
Because you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot
How does this affect who can post in the Bazaar?
It shouldn't have any effect.

The fields still exist, they're just no longer visible. When the retardation dies down, they may be back.
MrENGLISH™
HerrDEUTSCH™

2006-05-23, 22:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
Because you are.

Why not keep reputation though?
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-05-23, 22:19

Thanks to all those who put the "gay" in "this place is getting so gay".

EDIT: obligatory so no one cries.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-05-23, 22:24

But how do we know when new members join?

Now we are all equal, except for those user titles...
colivigan
Veteran Member

2006-05-23, 22:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend
But how do we know when new members join?
Join Date?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2006-05-23, 22:26

We'll still trying to track down the damned Molblin.

World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-05-23, 22:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJohn
Join Date?
That goes by month, I mean a more specific way of telling.

Oh well, we shall get used to it...
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-05-23, 22:58

Mario will bust a cap in that Molblin.

Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-05-23, 23:01

Nooooo! How will I ever know when to make my 2000th post hijack?
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2006-05-23, 23:42

I swear I only saw this thread just now. But it just goes to show, a true master can make lame post after lame post with nary a post count or rep point in sight.

For newer members, see this
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
When the retardation dies down, they may be back.
That actually says "Keep your shirt on, Snowy. You're going to get them back you brainless twit. Do you think we'd be so stupid as to take them away permanently? There'd be all out mutiny after 3 days. People'd be plotting revolution in secret corners of the board, Mr English would log on under Brad's ID and confuse the hell out of some of us for a brief period of time, that bastard WLP would skulk off and register applenova.org........"

Been there, done that. <marlene deitrich voice>Don't you know, revolutions are so passé, darlink. This year we're all subjecting ourselves to the overlords. Oh ya, lord it over me, murbaby.</marlene deitrich voice>

Actually, I was wondering, is this a first for the Bastard Child? I don't recall "Ye Olde Groupe Punishment" being administered here before. I usually found them very enjoyable. Kind of turned into a group bonding thing once everybody realised it was bullshit. Help! I'm being repressed. Now we see the violence inherent in the system. The person who invents a way to deliver group spankings over the internets will end up one very rich son of a bitch, mark my words.

And the answer to the first of your questions in the other thread, alcimedes, which I could see on the groovy mini transparent window thingy that pops up when I get an email, is no. (Surprisingly enough, I'll admit.)
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2006-05-24, 00:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychester
I swear I only saw this thread just now. But it just goes to show, a true master can make lame post after lame post with nary a post count or rep point in sight.

For newer members, see this

That actually says "Keep your shirt on, Snowy. You're going to get them back you brainless twit. Do you think we'd be so stupid as to take them away permanently? There'd be all out mutiny after 3 days. People'd be plotting revolution in secret corners of the board, Mr English would log on under Brad's ID and confuse the hell out of some of us for a brief period of time, that bastard WLP would skulk off and register applenova.org........"

.........And the answer to the first of your questions in the other thread, alcimedes, which I could see on the groovy mini transparent window thingy that pops up when I get an email, is no. (Surprisingly enough, I'll admit.)
I know I shouldn't rise to the bait, but chester dear, you're entirely too verbose for me to ignore. Such a humorous, ironic, tongue-in-cheek response requires a reply of some nature, so here goes.

Post counts have been removed before (at .com). There was a school of thought that one shouldn't be measured by one's post count/quality over quantity, that whole thing. Consider this another trial of this school of thought. Post counts aren't worth anything, and don't do much other than let people know how much time you waste on an internet forum.

The rep system has always been a beta/test idea. It was built into Vb, we figured we'd give it a try. It's all still there, just invisible. You know our fascination with hidden things. Gotta have 'em!

No need to fester sweet chester, everything will be just fine!

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
faramirtook
A for effort.

2006-05-24, 06:13

*applaud*
wecallitfall

2006-05-24, 06:43

i think its a great idea

no more elitism

EDIT: and whats with my user title?
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-05-24, 06:52

Brad just doesn't want us to know when he hits 10,000.

On a side note…why did you get rid of user rating? I thought that was determined by reputation…which isn't post count, it's about quality of posts. Isn't that the most important thing, that SHOULD be viewed as a reason for respect? Now hell, I'm screwed either way, I was just wondering.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2006-05-24, 06:54

are we moving to communism here?
i think post count gave people credibility. it created a sort of a heierchy and now its all gone. a new user has as much credibility as an old timer which sucks.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-05-24, 06:58

Only thing I take issue with is - if you're going to require people to have 300 posts before they can use the Bazaar, it strikes me as a little inappropriate that users cannot tell where they stand on gaining that privilege. Same goes for the self-altering of user 'titles' (at 1000 posts).
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-24, 06:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurp
i think post count gave people credibility. it created a sort of a heierchy and now its all gone. a new user has as much credibility as an old timer which sucks.
Well, there's still the Join Date.
mattf

2006-05-24, 07:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe
Only thing I take issue with is - if you're going to require people to have 300 posts before they can use the Bazaar, it strikes me as a little inappropriate that users cannot tell where they stand on gaining that privilege. Same goes for the self-altering of user 'titles' (at 1000 posts).
Go to your user profile.

Find all posts by (username)
Showing results 1 to 30 of x

However, I'd say that people knowing that they have to have 300 posts / 1000 posts etc, helped towards the problems that caused the Admins to do what they did.

EDIT: BTW, that x value may not be entirely accurate for various reasons, but it's likely to be close.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-05-24, 07:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurp
Credibility ought to be based on the quality of posts, not the quantity, anyway.

If people spent more time writing cogent and clever posts rather than spamming to reach some arbitrary quota, the overall value of the board would be improved, which is sort of the point.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
Joolz34

2006-05-24, 07:12

Being honest with you I dont think that post count signifies any kind of heirarchy at all - I would argue that quality over quantity shoud be the norm. Just because someone has over 3000 posts doesnt mean that theyve always gave valid advise or said something worth reading

With regards to the other stuff - i.e. how to know when youre able to post in the bazaar or have enough posts to change your title, that could be taken care of with a PM from the mods - Or you could just try and see

Im on many forums and dont post often, either because most of whats on there doesnt deserve a response or I try to post only something thats worth posting (but I admit I dont always succeed at this). This is the first forum though where Ive broke a 100 posts and the reason why is for once I think that Ive actually found a forum that is a community as many of them claim to be with intelligent people having intelligent conversations or asking intelligent questions and Im happy to be a part of that.

If removing the post count means that this forum will stay like that then Im all for it - I think that there are a good bunch of people on here and hopefully it will stay that way.

Sorry for the rant - I'll put the soap box away now - Thanks for your time and Im happy to be a part of this community.

Cheers,

Andrew
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-05-24, 07:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattf
However, I'd say that people knowing that they have to have 300 posts / 1000 posts etc, helped towards the problems that caused the Admins to do what they did.
No, I'd argue that having those restrictions in the first place is what helped towards the problems that caused the Admins to do what they did. I think it's necessary (or at least beneficial) in the case of the Bazaar; but the artificial restriction on the user title remains, whether you know your post count or not; so the "spamming" of posts to get to the number doesn't go away.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2006-05-24, 07:34

We're working on a better solution.

So far it involves beer and a stripper. This might take a while.