User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

Help with Java development in XCode3

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Help with Java development in XCode3
Gizzer

2007-12-04, 20:18

As an existing PC developer (but long time Mac user) I have decided to bite the bullet - twice - and start developing on the Mac and learn Java at the same time as my chosen language.

Can any Java developers out there suggest a site that specifically deals with teaching Java within the XCode environment? I could go down the Sun SDK route, but I kind of like the idea of using XCode to do it instead.

Thanks in advance.....
autodata
hustlin

2007-12-04, 21:45

You may have already done so, but don't neglect to also look into TextMate, Eclipse and NetBeans.
Enki

2007-12-04, 22:34

Yes, I would definitely use a Java-centric solution for Java coding. OS X programming and Java programming use mutually exclusive APIs since the death of the Cocoa-Java bridge. Use Xcode for Obj-C in OS X.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-12-04, 22:52

Eclipse is rather designed specifically for Java development, but I've never been thrilled with (or happy, satisfied, content, or able to vaguely stomach) the UI.

Just as an aside - with the more or less complete break between Java and the Mac APIs, why are you thinking you can learn the Mac through Java?
Gizzer

2007-12-05, 04:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Just as an aside - with the more or less complete break between Java and the Mac APIs, why are you thinking you can learn the Mac through Java?
Ok, to expand things: I need to learn Java to help me out at work (I want to shift my expertise to Java as we are short on Java developers). I could learn Java on my work PC but I'd rather learn it on my Mac (I'd hate to be using a PC at home when I could be using my iMac instead!).

Having quickly skimmed some notes on the Apple developer site, it reads as though Java application development is fully supported in XCode 3. Am I missing something here? I just installed XCode and it certainly seems to give the options of creating Java apps, but as I am unfamiliar with XCode I could be missing something obvious!

I have installed Netbeans on my work PC, so I guess there's no harm in using Netbeans on the Mac too - plus obviously I'd then be using a common toolset on both Mac & PC. But it did seem like XCode offered a large and useful toolset.

If anyone can explain why not to go down the XCode route, I'm only too open to suggestions!

...Also the comment above about there no longer being a Cocoa-Java bridge. What does that mean? Again, I got the impression that using XCode you could create very "OS X Native Looking" apps, but in Java.

Last edited by Gizzer : 2007-12-05 at 06:57.
Enki

2007-12-05, 12:26

While Xcode "supports" Java development, I have yet to talk to anyone that likes it or feels that it has adequate Java specific features, including myself. Personally, I use Netbeans for Java development as it has many Java specific development features built in. If you use Xcode you will only touch the most superficial portions of the IDE during Java dev, while missing out on the really nice Java development extras of a Java specific IDE. So you have more pain in development with less "learning of Xcode" than you might think.

And if your real goal is to become a Java coder, it will be more valuable to become a Netbeans expert where that knowledge is portable, than know a little Netbeans at work and a little Xcode at home. Use your two platform experience to concentrate on addressing potential differences in cross platform distribution.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-12-05, 12:32

Another good idea (a lot better than NetBeans, IMHO) is eclipse. But the best choice is clearly the IDE the other developers at your company are using, since working with them will be easier when you all use the same one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzer View Post
...Also the comment above about there no longer being a Cocoa-Java bridge. What does that mean? Again, I got the impression that using XCode you could create very "OS X Native Looking" apps, but in Java.
They do look like native programs, but they don't directly use the native interfaces. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, since the point of Java is platform independence, and you presumably want the code to also run on non-Macs (PCs or Unix servers).
Gizzer

2007-12-05, 12:46

Thanks for your help. As I've installed NetBeans on the work PC, I've gone ahead and done the same on my Mac.

Sharing the same Dev environment certainly seems to make sense so I appreciate the advice.
autodata
hustlin

2007-12-05, 13:17

Quote:
..Also the comment above about there no longer being a Cocoa-Java bridge. What does that mean? Again, I got the impression that using XCode you could create very "OS X Native Looking" apps, but in Java.
The cocoa-java bridge has been deprecated as of tiger and apple is basically abandoning it. Some apps like Eclipse use JNI.
Enki

2007-12-05, 16:51

Quote:
In addition to the above... Native-looking is not native. The Java widgets are still Java widgets textured with OS X style bitmaps and shapes, not OS X Cocoa or Carbon widgets. That is implemented with just a single selection statement choosing the correct Java look and feel. Since they aren't native OS X widgets which are part of Apple's OS X APIs, you aren't getting OS X programming experience per se, nor are you creating a native application.

You will have a flexible cross-platform application though, which is almost always a good thing.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-12-05, 17:03

Well, if that's your main requirement it is.

When working in an Eclipse/RCP app, I sorely miss *many* niceties of native OS X apps, primarily around text fields. It's really more like working in a Windows app with a skin, than anything.