AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Does such a product exist?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Does such a product exist?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-01-25, 17:21

I was speculating a bit about Time Capsule and Windows Home server and began wondering if there existed an in-between product. Basically something like a Time Capsule with more features, but not the hassle or price of a Windows Home Server. I've summed up the features I was thinking of:
  • Router
  • Wireless access point
  • Network storage
  • Network back-up
  • File server
  • Print server
  • Remote access from the internet.
  • Built-in Bit Torrent client
  • Managed via network from another computer, either via an application or web interface.
  • Supports Windows, Mac and Linux.

Haven't found anything by searching on my own, so now I'm throwing up here to the experts.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-01-25, 17:35

I believe that's called a computer.
</sarcasm>
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-01-25, 17:40

Yes. It could be a MacMini for that sake, but I was more thinking of something a little more appliance like, such as the Apple TV. I don't think most people would bother with it if was a full-fledged computer.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-01-25, 17:44

The way I see it, most people who are too afraid to put together a real computer and set everything up probably aren't going to want or need a lot of the features you listed there anyway.

Also, a mini would be very poorly suited to those uses because it's limited to a laptop-sized hard drive. You'd want to put together a generic Linux or Windows box with 1-2 500GB hard drives, or just go for something like a Time Capsule or other network storage device.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-01-25, 17:50

Gotta admit, I'm looking at that list, thinking of my Airport Extreme, and seeing more overlap than not.

Router: check.
WiFi: check.
NAS: (USB port) check.
Backup: check. (use your own tool to the NAS, or Time Machine it)
Print server: check.
Remote access from intarwebs: check. (IIRC, that is)
BT: nope.
Managed remotely: check.
X-plat: for storage/print/backup? check. Mgmt? Hmm, dunno, can't recall if it has an HTTP mgmt page or not. Never used it.

Seems like a decent fit to me, but... *shrug*
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-01-25, 17:51

You are probably right about that, because part of my thinking was in fact that I didn't want to mess with either Linux or Windows myself. Feh. Maybe a MacMini with an external HD would be the easiest way of doing it.

Kinda puzzling that there are so many hardware manufacturers competing to build generic external HDs, but not really anyone other than Apple that try to up the functionality.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-01-25, 17:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
(...)

Remote access from intarwebs: check. (IIRC, that is)

(...)
Can it do that? How? I've never seen it on any feature list.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-01-25, 17:58

It's a NAS, right? It has access to the net, right? (Ok, mine does...) I seem to recall a 'Publish services over WAN Bonjour', and I'm 99% sure it allows for Back To My Mac access, which implies DynDNS as well...

I'll have to check when I get home, but I *know* you can print to it from outside the LAN, indicating that file access should be possible too.

Edit: Here ya go. Obviously, I don't have it set up to test it, but... it looks like it should do precisely that.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (46.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Kickaha : 2008-01-25 at 22:02.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-01-26, 07:31

You want to get an Airport Extreme, and a network-attached harddrive like the Linksys NSLU2 that can accept applications like a BT client. (This should work with 10.5.2)
(I *think* it can do that, I may remember wrongly, there are some out there at least)

Converted 07/2005.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-01-26, 07:41

Well, Bit Torrent wasn't a a deal-breaker, but it's nice to know it can be done.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-01-26, 12:42

Can the airport handle having a USB hub to accommodate the blue tooth dongle?

I didn't know routers comes with BT clients built in?
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-01-26, 14:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Can the airport handle having a USB hub to accommodate the blue tooth dongle?

I didn't know routers comes with BT clients built in?
In this thread, BT = Bit Torrent, not Bluetooth. (I had to re-read the thread to figure that out.)
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-01-26, 14:50

The irony? I actually thought BT= Bit Torrent and used that in my second sentence but got confused by Kickaha's BT and thought of Bluetooth.

Doh.
fteoath64

2008-01-28, 09:45

I believe the ASUS WL-700gE fits the bill nicely, Its a wireless router with 250GB built in NAS with print server, 3USD slots and does BitTorrent. It can do queued http/ftp downloads without a PC or Mac switched on.

I used it as a NAS for my PCs and my MacBook, i Used iTimemachine utility to do AirDisk do I can do TM to it wirelessly. MBA will do this across 802.11n with TC. But I effectively does the same using .g. Works like a charm. I can plug an additional USD disk to the Asus and extends the storage or even back it up.

I will still get a TC for its 802.11n and GigE ports and printer sharing features. The ASUS is not perfect, it has few printer compatibility and its BT is a bit flaky. But for my purposes it works very well. Its .g is long range so covers my iPhone nicely all over my house way over the edge of my pool.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-01-28, 09:51

Thanks for the heads up, fteoath64.

Too bad it doesn't have n-wireless, though.

Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-01-28, 09:59

I've created a single server (using Linux) to do all the things mentioned in the first post and after I quickly found out that any work I did on the server took all my services off the air, I created multiple servers (using Linux) to do the tasks... and ended up with multiple servers I had to manage.

At this point, I'm thinking 2 servers with services running on virtual servers. Linux will figure prominently...

real hackers don't use sigs
beardedmacuser

2008-01-28, 10:25

Have you thought of an NSLU2 combined with a wireless router and a USB hard drive?
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-01-28, 12:12

I just fond a pretty good review of the Asus thingy with the unwieldy name:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/939...off/index.html

Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-01-28, 12:15

Those kinds of network appliances are always so slow and limited. I'd rather buy a cheap used notebook and slap it together with whatever other hardware I need and run Linux on it.
Quote:
Apart from the highly impressive hardware feature set, the main attraction with the WL-700gE is its in-built operating system. Based on a minimalist Linux build, the onboard OS is embedded into the firmware and takes over the full capacity of the hard drive.
The heck with "minimalist" Linux, I want it all™!

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-01-28, 12:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post
Those kinds of network appliances are always so slow and limited. I'd rather buy a cheap used notebook and slap it together and run Linux on it.
Linux certainly is well suited for such tasks, but I was kinda hoping to avoid too much direct contact with it, as it's not something I'm very clever with. In fact, that Asus device appears to be complicated enough to begin with. But I do see your point, Taskiss.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-01-28, 12:22

Think of it as a "learning opportunity", Mugge!
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-01-28, 12:53

Quote:
Think of it as a "learning opportunity", Mugge!
I hate you because you are right.

Linux *shudder* uff.

Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-01-28, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
I hate you because you are right.
Because I'm right?

But ... I give so many other, more relevant reasons for you to hate me!

NOW I feel unappreciated. *pout*
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-01-28, 14:02

Quote:
(...)

But ... I give so many other, more relevant reasons for you to hate me!

(...)
Not really.

But with this suggestion, you have put a task in front of me which I can not deny that I should attempt.

Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-01-28, 14:14

Consider it this way:
Your time is worth $x/hour.
Learning Linux well enough to administer that thing will take you y hours.
If you can buy something else for less than the price of the Asus thing + $x*y, then you should do that

Converted 07/2005.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-01-28, 14:23

That's a good way of expressing it, Yonzie. Especially since I'm more economically minded than programming minded. So how good are you with Linux?

Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-01-28, 14:35

No wizard but I do run a few servers
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-01-28, 14:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonzie View Post
No wizard but I do run a few servers
Hmm... and you maligned the exalted CLI in the other thread, too...

You're a Windows Admin, aren't you!

WITCH! See if he floats! Or quacks! Or *shudder* BOTH!

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-01-28, 14:46

Quick! Toss him through the windows.

Only real witches would break the windows!
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-01-28, 14:51

Quote:
Hmm... and you maligned the exalted CLI in the other thread, too...
You're a Windows Admin, aren't you!
DAMN IT! I've lost two keyboards due to spillage before and you almost made me spit my soda all over it
I'll be a Windows Admin when hell freezes over. And then I'll call support bitching about their crap not working and it not being my fault due to my MCSE and A+ certifications making me immune to errors!

Before I got my first Mac, I ran Windows. Before that (2002-2003-ish), I ran Linux exclusively for the better part of a year. It wouldn't have worked out if I didn't have a Linux-guru as a flatmate. Wasn't suited for the desktop, and still isn't suited - unless you are a guru, have tech support manage everything or just use it for email and the web like an Eee or something. (Or, have lots of time and patience to fix problems).
Then again, the same could be said for a Windows box with no Antivirus/Antispyware/Firewall/etc/etc/etc, which is why I'm here.

Converted 07/2005.