MC: beta 1.8 - Exciting Times

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: beta 1.8 - Exciting Times
Page 10 of 12 First Previous 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12  Next Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2011-09-14, 11:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Agreed. We should probably put a moratorium on excess exploration as well.

There is one tedious project I was working on by the rink. Maybe I'll make it a goal to finish it for 1.9 so it'll look finished for anybody that wants it for offline.
Or this, though I'd like to have the option of upgrading the world as it is now directly into 1.9 to take advantage of all the "finished" biomes.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2011-09-14, 18:39

wrt to the whole mob persistence thing that's supposedly upcoming, I don't know if a passive trap is going to be feasible. Apparently once passive mobs spawn, once they get killed off they don't come back. This could be a problem.

Though, there is talk of procreation in 1.9. I wonder how that will work? Just put 2 pigs together and eventually get a baby pig? Curious.

Or... you don't think... I mean... sheep, sure, but... oh god. MC is about to get embarrassingly weird.

So it goes.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-09-14, 19:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I agree with everyone that 1.9 should be our jump into the new world. Seems logical.
I just wish we knew when that would be.
¡Damned!

2011-09-14, 20:08

Likely 2 or 3 days before 1.10 (final?) drops at MCFEST or whatever the fuck that thing is called at Las Vegas in November.

/bitchy

Middle of October, probably.

So it goes.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-09-14, 21:53

It's either going to take forever (mid-october) or be somewhat fast (1-2 weeks, tops), if it's mid-october a lot of shit is going to have to go into it. Isn't this the point in normal software development that things start getting released in a virtual stream of consciousness?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-14, 22:18

I do hope it isn't long. I'm kinda missing playing with everyone.

However!

I found my stronghold. Iron doors with push buttons, jail cells, library and stone bricks and mossy stone bricks. Pretty sweet actually. About 800 blocks south and 100 east. This was a fun find. Found it right before work though so I haven't been able to explore it really yet. Planning to do that some tonight.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-14, 23:32

Quote:
wrt to the whole mob persistence thing that's supposedly upcoming, I don't know if a passive trap is going to be feasible. Apparently once passive mobs spawn, once they get killed off they don't come back. This could be a problem.

Though, there is talk of procreation in 1.9. I wonder how that will work? Just put 2 pigs together and eventually get a baby pig? Curious.

Or... you don't think... I mean... sheep, sure, but... oh god. MC is about to get embarrassingly weird.
One thing about this. There is a duck stuck inside a fence at my new souther property. It's been in the fence for days now. I collect eggs from it. I'm thinking this is the kind of persistence that is a good thing. I have killed endless scads of sheep, cows and pigs and they all come back. I can't imagine we will have endangered species.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-09-15, 09:44

Quote:

So basically with the new hunger bar addition in 1.8 if you want settle down and build, then the first thing you need to do is set up a farm. Joy.

With the snow and ice getting nerfed, I can't finish any of my projects at the rink until 1.9.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
¡Damned!

2011-09-15, 10:37

I don't remember where I read that mobs don't repopulate... hopefully that was another "wild-ass -fact" that will be disproven in-game. It would be a true pain if so.

With 1.9 comes animal breeding for sure, as tweeted by jeb. Not sure of the mechanics involved with that one.

I've seen some simple ducken farm designs out there that basically involve a 5x5 pit filled with water with a hole at the bottom to retrieve eggs. Ducken farm > eggs > smash eggs > more duckens > meat.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-15, 11:14

http://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/status/76647002317930496

Quote:
@Mr_Flopsie All animals will be more persistent "soon," so re-growth of wool will be necessary
From @jeb_ on June 3.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-09-15, 11:25

Persistant doesn't mean won't respawn -- just means they will be less likely to despawn (perhaps to 0?). We might need a communal animal farm/breeding center.
¡Damned!

2011-09-15, 13:11

That could be fun to build. Maybe we could build the hostile mob trap directly beneath it (I think you and I briefly talked about this a while ago in-game) so it's kind of a one-stop area to collect mob goodies. If it's anything like the old design it should go much quicker as we just basically have to carve it out underground instead of building it up from the center.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-09-15, 20:17

Can "The Abattoir" have a neon sign like the Theatre? How gauche would that be? I'm starting to feel like becoming a Minecraft vegetarian.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-15, 22:49

I'm thinking this is the persistence they are talking about. This duck has been here for days upon days now.

BTW, anyone install the newest update? Even know what it is? I'm going to hunt now, just given the greeting to ask if I want to update.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-09-16, 05:43

I did. One thing, dont knowmwhat update it came with, but one shift click while crafting will craft everything on your workbench. If you have 64 sticks and coal, one shift click gives you 256 torches.
¡Damned!

2011-09-16, 08:22

Yeah, that's part of the latest update. About friggin' time. Making tons of slabs was a huge pain.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-09-16, 09:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I'm thinking this is the persistence they are talking about. This duck has been here for days upon days now.

BTW, anyone install the newest update? Even know what it is? I'm going to hunt now, just given the greeting to ask if I want to update.
So my guess about the persistence thing was right -- passive mobs simply do not despawn. Of course, they *have* to respawn...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-16, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Of course, they *have* to respawn...
Maybe. At the very least, the spawning algorithm has significantly changed and some areas/biomes appear to either never get respawns or have a significantly reduced rate.

I posted this a few days ago, and it's still true. My old "challenge island" used to be bustling with animals, and now it's dead quiet. I've even increased the grass surface area to try to boost the chance. Nada.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-09-16, 14:59

Can you herd sheep in Minecraft? You could run some of them toward your island.
I don't want to know what else you do with them after that.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-16, 15:48

Sorry, I meant it was on my Survival Island map.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...dls-★★★/

It's a manmade map that puts you on an island surrounded by a reasonably large ocean, large enough to make herding anything a serious challenge (and against the spirit of the rules).

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2011-09-16, 16:09

Man, I feel sorry for those Craftbukkit guys. Been checking in on their Twitter once in a while ever since you mentioned them and they're getting slammed with the typical "wen is 1.81 out neeed it NOW" shit.

Hopefully this will mean an uptick in their donations though as people realize what they go through for free. Sounds like this was especially painful as it's a total rewrite.

So it goes.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-09-16, 16:19

Endermen have destroyed my new bases on SSP 4 times now. I just can't build fast enough to get something lit before they arrive, and they've been spawning near me every time. I don't know if that's just terribad luck on my part or what, but I hate the fuckers.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-09-16, 16:47

Water, Rowdy. Build near water. At least at first.

I lucked out witha ready-made village on the edge of lake, near another lake. I only had two sides to protect.

Also, the sooner you can get a bed made and not give them time to mess about, the better.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-09-16, 17:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Maybe. At the very least, the spawning algorithm has significantly changed and some areas/biomes appear to either never get respawns or have a significantly reduced rate.
No, no... they have to... The game would be completely useless if the *insert passive mob name here* all died because they fell down a hill.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-16, 18:09

Quote:
Man, I feel sorry for those Craftbukkit guys. Been checking in on their Twitter once in a while ever since you mentioned them and they're getting slammed with the typical "wen is 1.81 out neeed it NOW" shit.
The forums are the same way. Whenever I go in there looking for plugins or relevant information, it feels like the place is filled with self-absorbed technically-inept 12-year-olds.

There are a few good eggs and talented contributors, but they're definitely outnumbered.

Quote:
Hopefully this will mean an uptick in their donations though as people realize what they go through for free. Sounds like this was especially painful as it's a total rewrite.
Oh yeah, and half those 12-year-olds had to borrow mom's credit card to buy the game and the other half are proudly pirating the game with no remorse. So, good luck on the donations front.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-09-16, 18:10

Couldn't we bank AppleNovaLand for a week and do multiplayer together on Turtle's machine? Nobody build anything they can't leave later? Couldn't we????!

COME ON!!!

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-09-16, 18:17

And, gulp, have an adventure! No permanent structures that we don't find ready made. Just exploring and fighting nasties. Sounds cool to me.

No Bukkit would mean no warping, though, so no easy way to catch up with the gang.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-16, 18:36

Sure, what the heck. Barring objections, I'll probably pull the switch when I get back later tonight (probably a couple of hours).
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-09-16, 19:39

With a fresh, random seed? Sweeeeeet....
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-09-16, 19:51

Has anyone found a melon yet? Or pumkin seeds? I have no idea how these work.