Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2015-10-22, 19:52

Can join, but can't do anything like Teamspeak tonight
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2015-10-22, 20:01

Okay, so is this on the regular server? Or are we doing something different?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-10-22, 20:07

I'm logging in to the regular smerver.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-10-22, 21:48

Uh oh! Ze crash?
¡Damned!

2015-10-22, 23:45

See? That was so fun.... SO FUN.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-10-22, 23:46

Sorry I missed. Just got done helping the kid with math.
¡Damned!

2015-10-25, 09:16

Well there's E and S that could be tackled, though I suspect S is mostly ocean. Still, Drew will have to pick an area for our new Dirt Empire, so maybe it's worth a couple more adventures. Someone always dies.

*On that note: thanks to Brad for the assist. Those 4x4 death pits are so friggin easy to fall into. No warning.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-10-25, 23:10

I kept getting lost, because I was playing UHC survival and everybody else was playing RUN AS FAST AS POSSIBLE TO THE NORTH.

I finally asked T to whack me, so I'd regen back at spawn.

When he set me on fire it awakened my survival instinct and I whacked him.

He then came back and killed me properly.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-10-26, 23:52

Yeah, we had a blast and it was go North as fast as possible. Heck, Me and 709 were the only ones who actually made it to 15,000. I built me a house up there on the new cove too. Then 709 said we are going to prune it after 1.9 drops and we upgrade so we can have the new stuff underground. I couldn't take it and walked into lava.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2015-10-31, 16:55

Just told Anna about a fast-run to the E and she legit kneed my in my sac.

wtf, sexy bitch, wtf.

Anyways. I'm going E. Eventually.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2015-11-01 at 00:48.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-11-01, 00:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Just told Anna about a fast-run to the E and she legit kneed my in my sac.

wtf, sexy bitch, wtf.

Anyways. I'm going E. Eventually.
What fun did I miss tonight??
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-11-01, 16:12

I finally got around to trekking over to 13topia to check out the banners 709 was talking about the last time I was online.

Nice banners!

But.

Holy moley. I know I haven't been out to 13topia in a while, but when did it grow to have like everything?? If you can farm it, it's basically there. Every plant, every animal. All so nicely arranged!

(Though with all the stuff going on, my system does start dropping frames like mad... but it's worth it to marvel in all the wonders!)

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-11-01, 16:31

Since I'm obviously wandering around the world for the first in a long time, let me also geek out for a moment at Castle Whammerstein. The overhead views on mcmaps that I've seen for so long definitely don't do it justice!

I know people aren't on the server much these days, but if there's anything you need in terms of a patron bank-rolling more stuff like this, Ken, I'll make it rain all the wood, gold, and diamonds you need! I see the beginnings of an unfinished ship out here, for instance...

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-01, 19:42

Thanks, Brad. I'm kinda like Grey: I've got works-in-progress scattered all over the map!

Glad you like it. Some day, I'll finish some stuff off. Someday.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-11-01, 22:27

I needed get out of my head a bit today and went into Grey's East, but not far. I wanted to do some survival play and made myself busy hollowing out a hideout in a hill. Brad was freaking out at all the stuff he mentioned above.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-02, 12:50

I'm hanging out in the wayoutnorth doing some roughing-it. So, if someone gets trigger happy with a wipe, please don't leave me hanging out here!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-11-02, 20:09

Don't worry, we could just wipe your player data for you!
¡Damned!

2015-11-03, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Holy moley. I know I haven't been out to 13topia in a while, but when did it grow to have like everything?? If you can farm it, it's basically there. Every plant, every animal. All so nicely arranged!
The lower pen is kind've a mess, but 8 slices didn't work so well. 4 seems to give them more room and less of a chance of escaping (which they still do). It's really just for bunny feet, wool and eggs. The occasional mushroom soup. The expansions since you transplanted it are mostly the horse farms and netherwart. Plus some seafloor art & smoothing that I need to finish before underwater glass becomes completely transparent in 1.9.

Quote:
(Though with all the stuff going on, my system does start dropping frames like mad... but it's worth it to marvel in all the wonders!)
I have no idea why. The only things really active are animals, since I've used source blocks for all the farm water. Hopefully the boosts helped. I generally get 30+ out there, but you're right that it's slower than normal. Though I never get hit like I do when I'm on the main strip downtown. That place is a mystery.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-03, 13:52

As I understand it, MC renders every exposed block, whether it is immediately visible or not. From what I have read, standard mining practices and below-ground development projects expose a lot of blocks that the system then renders, regardless of your ability to "see" them. Considering the spawn chunks are always loaded (and downtown is within spawn) that means there are many tens of thousands of exposed blocks beneath the streets. Add in all the redstone contraptions, tree farms, animal farms (with their many animals), my Monument Tower (with its thousands of pulsating blocks), etc, and downtown is a rendering mess!

I regularly drop down to <10 frames around MT, and <15 pretty much everywhere else within 300 to 400 blocks of spawn. It's pretty bad.

Taking this into account, I would like to propose the following minor "rules" changes when we switch to 2.0 (which I am assuming will require a complete vanilla do-over (everything gets wiped?).

1) No basements deeper than [X] blocks within the spawn chunks (perhaps 10). This will prevent deep operations that expose many thousands of blocks
2) No mining within the spawn chunks; All mining operations must be >1000 blocks from spawn. This will prevent deep operations that expose many, many thousands of blocks. We are all capable of moving away from spawn and establishing mining operations. This will also alleviate mine crowding.
3) From the N/S/E/W Spawn intersection, a corridor 10 blocks wide is set aside out to 500+ blocks from center
4) The 4 200x200 intersecting lots are set aside for community purposes

The idea being that the major builds within spawn would be above-ground displays only. Redstone contraptions such as chicken farms, etc could certainly be exceptions so they are always running and always producing, but any other major redstone machines should be built on the fringes (outside of spawn) so they shut down when no one is around to run them (a good example are the various traps/farms whose busy-ness would render downtown painfully slow).

It's nice to dig in as soon as we spawn and start mining, but I think this has had a detrimental long-term affect on downtown's responsiveness and it's kind of becoming a drag to visit. It would be better if we institute some long-term planning if we're going to start from scratch. Spawn is for above-ground displays, houses, etc.; We could set aside a transportation corridor running N/S/E/W from spawn's exact center; We could say that the four 200x200 square parcels that intersect at spawn are set aside for community projects (establishing a true "downtown" area)—I would love to see this area mimic a true "downtown" with streets and brick/stone buildings much like you see in old towns.

Essentially, we could treat Spawn much the same as we treat Nether Hub 2.0: Inside the grid, no mining/development.

Just my two bits.

Perhaps we could start a 2.0 longterm planning thread? Yes, I think that makes good sense. Consider it done.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
¡Damned!

2015-11-03, 14:02

Says the guy who built the tallest skyscraper ever in the middle of a short-ish downtown.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-03, 14:08

Yep. I kan lurn!

Why you think my Tall Town is out in the sticks?

If Brad could still copy/paste, I'd have MT moved. It's out of place down there.

¡Damned!

2015-11-03, 14:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Why you think my Tall Town is out in the sticks?
I know why Tall Town is out in the sticks... and I thought it was a great idea. Too bad the mechanics changed.

MT does stand out a bit Downtown, sure. It's fine though. Frankly I liked your lollipop much, much more.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-03, 14:19

Maybe the mechanics will return in a future update?

Though, by then any return to that idea might take a while, considering the resources.
¡Damned!

2015-11-03, 14:23

You could leave it open like you did for the Trail of Towers, where others could pick a plot and build – within certain parameters of course.
¡Damned!

2015-11-03, 14:25

Gross light-purplely blocks everywhere!!!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-03, 14:55

Yeah, that's a problem. The blocks, not the idea.

As far as 1.9 is concerned, I'm just not feeling it. They simply haven't done anything that makes me feel "woo-hoo". Fixing water on glass is awesome, but not "I can't wait to upgrade earth shockingly awesome".

The new blocks are ugly in their default color scheme. The end is no more exciting (other than for exploring). The new End Fortress things are kinda dumb and pointless. The chests don't contain anything worth taking the risk for. The only block I care about are the new End Rod, which can be crafted with chorus fruit and blaze rods. Which means we're gonna need a blaze farm!

It's like 1.9 hasn't really been thought out very hard. I wonder if Microsoft came in and said "keep it dirt simple and save the awesome for 2.0."

I don't much care, really.

¡Damned!

2015-11-03, 16:57

There's a lot of really great stuff coming in 1.9, but a bunch of new blocks are not a part of it, unfortunately.

There's still time I guess for obvious additions like endstone slab and stair (because why have only brick?), maybe some surprise additions like 'ite' polished slabs, but other than that... eh.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2015-11-03, 21:23

Quote:
Since I'm obviously wandering around the world for the first in a long time ...
Did you get out to the NW area with the Dropper, T's Monument and K's Squid Farm? Every one of those are worth a look, but you'll likely die at T's place. Just saying. I did. Twice.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-03, 23:21

I almost died in there with my super-armor on.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-11-05, 01:47

I had no idea MT was Monument Tower. In the Navy we wrote "MT" on things that were empty. Em-tee. Since your office tower has nothing inside I just figured that's what it was. How funny.

I'm sorry you guys have died or almost died at the Monument. I did provide sand and ladders for you at the entrance.

The 2.0 thing I'm thinking we don't wipe ever again if we can help it. Instead we just designate a new area as spawn and work out of there. This is the last world that we are likely to see some of the major works we've done over the years since there is no craftbukkit to work with mods. If the day comes when we can copy and paste again, then I'm cool with wiping.

I do like the idea of "general" guidelines for a town but I will not have another meltdown that happened TerraNova where laws created more animosity than helped. I'm totally with moving mining operations away from the towns though. It also makes wiping those areas of the maps easier and allow for chance regeneration with the new minerals and such for updated game code.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.