AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: 1.9 - C'mon baby, take a chance with us

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: 1.9 - C'mon baby, take a chance with us
Page 5 of 16 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  Next Last Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-05, 11:53

I'm not for "hard and fast" rules in terms of what can be built on the surface, other than avoiding those things which cause serious FPS issues, which I've spelled out.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-11-05, 12:09

Oh good. I refused to buy a home with a home owner's association and I'm not going to be doing on in MC again either.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-05, 13:48

As far as the ideas I have for downtown, it's just in that crosshairs area. I think that should be set aside for community builds, as I stated. Outside that, build an igloo. Who cares, right? We want it to be fun and interesting.

Just no underground/redstone stuff within 500 of downtown, and no mines within 1000. That's where the trouble is lurking.

Considering MC's rendering distance, those numbers would allow us to wander all over town and never encounter anything that junks up our FPS.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-11-05, 19:20

With Nether paths and an above ground rail system again we would be able to travel to the various shops and things like the Guardian dropper, Mob farm, etc. I'm thinking that would be pretty cool.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-05, 19:29

Grey has been talking about building a rail system in 1.9. Perhaps we will do that?

Grey?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-11-05, 21:09

I'm still for building a rail system in CC.
¡Damned!

2015-11-06, 10:21

I suggested a high-speed line out to Drew's New Dirt Empire™ after the 1.9 trim. I'm still up for that.

Perhaps the Empire could even serve as a test run of what Ken's talking about in the 2.0 thread.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-06, 10:29

Dirt empire?
¡Damned!

2015-11-06, 10:57

Having a 'New World' and still keep CC through 1.9.

A place far, far away from CC where one can live the simple life. Bring nothing from the city and survive as you would in a new world. Doesn't have to grow into a city, but a nice rustic spot away from the 'big builds' is appealing.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2015-11-12, 14:05

The high-speed line idea got a nice little boost in the new snapshot... mobs don't spawn on rails anymore! Huzzah. So we could realistically do a 1x wide bullet train out to wherever without worrying about the light levels too much.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-11-12, 15:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
The high-speed line idea got a nice little boost in the new snapshot... mobs don't spawn on rails anymore! Huzzah. So we could realistically do a 1x wide bullet train out to wherever without worrying about the light levels too much.
yussssssssssssssssssss

It's about stinkin' time. Notch!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-12, 15:17

No doubt. Time to start the planning phase.

Off to Creative mode.

What we want it to look like? I'm thinking something that maybe stays close to the ground, just above the trees?

Maybe 1x1 with rail on top and redstone block every 10 or so?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-12, 19:10

Okay, first draft images for the 1.9 Bullet Rail To Nowhere!

Each tower has a 3x3 "platform" (for looks) with a block of redstone in the center (putting them here means they're hidden along the half-slab rail) and two blocks of glowstone (not to keep out the baddies, but to light it a bit). Above each redstone is a powered rail (my trials indicate a powered rail above each tower and 50 blocks apart is enough to keep the cart moving). Each tower has a 3x3 stone base.

When we encounter a tunnel (and I'm sure we will) we need to block it in some fashion to keep the baddies out. I'm thinking about a 3x3 square tunnel with 1 overhead glowstone every 10 blocks (I'm working on mocking this up.)

Quote:
Short tower with polished andesite blocks

Quote:
A tall tower with polished diorite blocks

Quote:
A tall tower with polished granite blocks

Quote:
Slightly different platform ( I like this look better)

Quote:
Some night shots

Quote:
3x3 Platform above each tower

Quote:
Some longer views. The towers are at 50-block intervals

Quote:
Looking down the rail

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-11-12, 21:48

I actually like the idea of there being two rails for a coming and going. Glass blocks in the middle so no light and no spawning. We can use detector rails to energize the powered rail from one side and not have to worry about redstone blocks or torches.

Two trails would still for your 3 x 3 idea too.

Like this:

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2015-11-12 at 22:36.
¡Damned!

2015-11-13, 09:01

Don't know if I'm a fan of the 3x3 platform atop each tower. Seems too bright and big to be there every 50 blocks, plus if you're zipping along they're really going to block the view to below. I very much like the idea of putting the rails on half-slab, though I may've put them atop another block so it looks more like a 'levitating' hi-speed rail (plus it would be quicker to build). I also hear what T is saying about no lighting... that could be nice to travel at night in the dark.

I dunno. I'll probably jump in at some point today and put a couple thoughts together as well.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-13, 12:48

I'm working on a double-track mockup. But, if Turtle wants doubles, he's gonna have to drop me a small chest of iron blocks, 'cause that's an awful lot of iron. I mean, 10,000 to 15,000 x 2 rails is a few rails. I can't cover even half of a single line, let alone 2 full-length lines. And, I really do think a double line is gonna look a lot nicer.

¡Damned!

2015-11-13, 14:00

I went back and checked our old Bridgeport world to see what the height of those walkways/rails were since they seemed like the perfect height, and they were at 98. Also, I checked the MC wiki on rail speed and it looks like 32-36 is optimal for the highest sustained speed. So I've roughed some ideas out based on lengths of 32 since those would be really easy to keep track of. Track of... heh. Also I've used just stone brick and slabs since they go great with any biome and don't look too fussy.

Single Rail:

Double Rail:

Single is lit and Double isn't, obviously, but they could go either way. Also could use detectors instead of redstone block on either. Makes no nevermind to me. The glowstone is underneath the redstone on the Single track, so it's not so bright while riding. I like both at night, honestly.

Pillars are 65 apart on both. 32 blocks, redstone, 32blocks, etc., etc. 32 blocks tall, glowstone, redstone. Easy. I dig the 'levitating' path in the Single version a lot. Anyways, just my 2¢.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-13, 15:24

More mockups. Added a dual track design and added a "levitating" layer to the single track to appease Grey's madness!

Quote:
Single and dual side by side

Quote:
Dual track with "levitating bullet train" madness!

I think it looks great, but don't anybody tell Grey.

Quote:
The support struts

Quote:
Looking down the line. In this line I'm using a powered rail with a detector rail on both sides (so the track will function in either direction … just in case)

Quote:
Cross section of the support strut and tower. Note the block placement has no lighting and, to prevent baddies spawning on the unlit towers, the only exposed surface is a set of half slabs. This design can be unlit the entire length of the track.

Quote:
Double track tunnel. Fenceposts above will prevent baddies from dropping onto the track. Unsure yet if the tunnels should be lit or unlit. My design makes it so baddies can spawn below the tracks, but not get onto them.

Quote:
Single track tunnel. You can see that I cleared a 1x2 path on either side of the track to keep baddies off the tracks. This single-wide track tunnel is lit with glowstone overhead and at 5-block intervals. I like the idea of having unlit tunnels just for the thrill. There would be nasties on either side of the track as you swooshed through. However, baddies might somehow get onto the track, so maybe they do need to be lit?

Or, we could line the floor of the tunnels with half-slabs to prevent any spawns, then we wouldn't need lighting. Personally, I like that idea better.

I like the double track. There's more mass to it and, if we can sort out the "this way to out" direction, two people can be on the line going in opposite directions and not crash and send each other into the spider-filled abyss below!

I'm not a fan of the stone bricks. Brick has a proper "architectural reality" in a tower, but not in an unsupported span. It looks out of place. Also, I like the granite color, since it brings a strong contrast to the biomes and their natural coloration. I prefer engineering to stand out and be it's own thing, rather than trying to blend in.

Anywhere the tracks get close to the ground, there should be a minimum 1-block wide path two blocks deep to prevent baddies from getting onto the tracks.

I'll defer to towers every 65 blocks since that makes sense for efficiency's sake and symmetry with the powered rails. I suggest this atop the towers (and at 32 block intervals):

Quote:
The dual detector ensures the carts will run somewhere no matter which direction. My testing with a single detector stopped me cold if I was going the wrong way. I suppose you guys sorted that all out with the previous rail system?

Last edited by kscherer : 2015-11-13 at 17:11.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-11-13, 16:37

Shouldn't there be a glass tipped edge to the tunnels, with a 2-block high glass lip that prevents baddies from wandering onto the track?

X
X
XXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXX
X
X

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-13, 16:59

You might notice something like that in the picture above (tunnel entrances). There is a glass roof with some fence posts on top of it.

Been thinking of that very thing.

If/when we build this thing, Grey and I will make sure it's safe for all you whiners.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-13, 17:21

Tunnel Entrance

Quote:
I mocked up a tunnel entrance (two-track). The floor inside the tunnel is lined with half slabs laying on top of the floor. Since 1.9 prevents mobs from spawning on track, this arrangement will prevent mobs from spawning anywhere inside the tunnels, even without light. Also, the front is protected by fenceposts at both the bottom (to prevent mobs from wandering in) and top (to prevent them from dropping onto the tracks). The more I tinker the more I think we should build the entire structure without any lighting, other than at stations.

This mockup should prevent any and all mob intrusion. Gonna switch to survival and stand inside the tunnel just to see what happens.

Update: I convinced a horde of zombies to attack and none were able to defeat the entrance. They tried from the bottom and the top and couldn't get onto the track. Also, none spawned in the very dark tunnel. Yay!

Quote:
An updated tower strut. Much simpler and cleaner. Plus, it gives the impression that the rails are supported from beneath and the girders/spans are suspended below them.

I like this design a lot more than my previous, which looked too busy. It will also be a lot easier to build!

Last edited by kscherer : 2015-11-13 at 17:53.
¡Damned!

2015-11-13, 19:51

I don't mind the polished pink granite for horizontals, but man it bugs me for the struts. Too much of something. It doesn't look good.

The 3 spaces between rails is nice for the double-wide. I like that a lot. It will be interesting to see these at the right height... I may try some of that when I get back.

Drew's an architectural genius, maybe he can weigh in here.

[edit]: I didn't see that last image before, but the top looks way better.

[edit2]: Maybe a combo of both. My venerable stone bricks get the respect they deserve by supplying the struts and support. The top... whatever y'all decide is the way to go.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2015-11-13 at 20:49.
¡Damned!

2015-11-13, 20:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
This mockup should prevent any and all mob intrusion. Gonna switch to survival and stand inside the tunnel just to see what happens.
Spiders will (and do) jump over fences easily, so Drew's double-height wall is still a good idea. In fact, a lip on the further edge makes it that much safer.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2015-11-13, 20:27

Quote:
But, if Turtle wants doubles, he's gonna have to drop me a small chest of iron blocks, 'cause that's an awful lot of iron. I mean, 10,000 to 15,000 x 2 rails is a few rails. I can't cover even half of a single line, let alone 2 full-length lines. And, I really do think a double line is gonna look a lot nicer.
Mang, a stack of iron blocks makes like 1500+ rails. I can cover that* x10. What you should be worried about is your granite supply. Even I can't help you there.

*I signed up for a one-way trip. If T wants a return trip he can cough up the additional 10 stacks.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-11-13, 20:49

I know I'm late to the party (again!!) but my initial reaction is that I actually like Turtle's dual-track mockup best plus the grey andesite supporting blocks of Ken's earlier post. Although that styled tunnel entrance looks très bien.

Granite looks... I dunno... not right? That salmon color strikes me as really weird to be the primary color for the railway.

One suggestion I don't think I've seen is a possible way to escape the track if needed. If you decide you want to nope out halfway to a destination, you could reach ground level if the support pillars have a ladder running down one side. Like many real-world structures, you could even omit ladders from the bottom two blocks to prevent non-spider baddies from trying to climb up.

I guess I'm going to have to go fire up a creative mode session too!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2015-11-13, 21:00

I think the 'nope out' thing will be relieved by at least a few pit stops along the way. Think BP towers where the carts slid into those dips, then could carry on by the push of a button. We'll have those.

Though seriously, 96-98. That's the ideal height. Tall enough to have the best chunk view, short enough to be a part of the scenery.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2015-11-13 at 21:13.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-13, 21:46

So, let's go with stone brick towers, polished Andesite (the dark gray stuff) rail trusses, and stone half-slab rail guides.

Can everyone imagine that?

I'm not where my mockup is (work) and won't be 'til Monday, but I'll mock it up then.

I'll start mining for more Andesite. That will take some work.

Those of you who think you have enough iron to cover 20,000 rails, dive in!

We'll do the 2x glass over the tunnel entrances. As far as nope-out, I'm with Grey. Anyone who wants to "nope out" had best be thinking ahead, 'cause half-way is 5000+ from home, and that's a hike without the rail cars.

Height to be 97, 'cause that's right in the middle of Grey's brain.

T will be kind enough to cough up a crap-ton of iron and maybe some Andesite. We have a few weeks, so I'll get as much as I can. To be honest, I'm more worried about cooking the stuff than … wait a minute! No I'm not. I gots me a super-efficient oven with 52 simultaneous cooking capacity-lisciousness that needs testing out!

¡Damned!

2015-11-13, 22:00

Well, let's not pull the party balloons down just yet. We've barely cracked the keg.
¡Damned!

2015-11-13, 22:14

Quote:
I'll start mining for more Andesite. That will take some work.
I'll put my old math here again just for the sake of it:

½ quartz + 1 cobble = 1 Andesite
1 quartz + 1 cobble = 1 Diorite
2 quartz + 1 cobble = 1 Granite

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-13, 22:26

Oh no. Bring on the balloons. Until Brad gets his ass into creative and delivers the Star Trek Enterprise version of rail transportation, this ship has sailed!

Or not. We're just getting started.