Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: 1.9 - C'mon baby, take a chance with us

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: 1.9 - C'mon baby, take a chance with us
Page 6 of 16 First Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  Next Last Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2015-11-13, 22:46

I had an ideal, of an Olde Guard that made these stone block railways – the same peoples that build the strongholds – that they were used to get from end portal to end portal. Old, brick, ganky shit. Built for the ages. NOW some other 'survival' type people retrofit the decaying paths by a 'levitation' layer above the stone block.

fun

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2015-11-13 at 23:21.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-11-13, 23:44

Hey, I'm playing in survival mode out east (just a bit) and dug down into an abandoned mineshaft and while I was clearing it out I wandered down to the lowest level and found an ENORMOUS tunnel cut through the land... that surely must be the work of one of you, right?

There's a one-bock higher notch carved out through the middle of that tunnel, and it's REALLY well lit.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-11-14, 02:23

I will happily donate from my personal stash and from creative for this. Personally I'm thinking this whole rail supplies should be from admin magic since it's a way to upgrade and maintain the existing world while allowing expansion into the new settlement.

For the spiders and tunnels: I wouldn't worry about them too much since they won't spawn while someone's coming and on top of that there aren't going to be many tunnels at 98. Also, the speed of travel means they wouldn't be around until after you had already passed in all likelihood.

I like the idea of the lowered accent style lighting if there is going to be lights on it. The way it looked on the single rail thing 709 did looked nice from the distance. I liked it. I will say that I also like the idea of being able to run on the rail rather than being forced to try to run on the tracks if you get dismounted by something like a baddie or other freak event. My mockup gave a foot path when needed, the future path doesn't need to be just like mine, but something would be nice. Getting a horse up there would be a bonus!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2015-11-14, 08:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Hey, I'm playing in survival mode out east (just a bit) and dug down into an abandoned mineshaft and while I was clearing it out I wandered down to the lowest level and found an ENORMOUS tunnel cut through the land... that surely must be the work of one of you, right?

There's a one-bock higher notch carved out through the middle of that tunnel, and it's REALLY well lit.

'Tis me. I was strip mining for emerald ore over there. It's an area that will go boink with the upcoming trim, so feel free to swing that pick with abandon.

The 2x wide tunnel also leads back to 13topia if you want a safe way to return to civilization.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2015-11-14, 10:59

Well, it doesn't sound like we'll be getting any new blocks besides the few already announced. This latest snapshot came with the line "Now is also a good time to look into the changes between 1.8 and 1.9 if you are creating resource packs ... ". Bummer. I thought for sure we'd at least get 'ite' slabs since they were in the previous snapshots at one point. Ah well. Lots of stuff to like still.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2015-11-14, 11:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I like the idea of the lowered accent style lighting if there is going to be lights on it. The way it looked on the single rail thing 709 did looked nice from the distance. I liked it. I will say that I also like the idea of being able to run on the rail rather than being forced to try to run on the tracks if you get dismounted by something like a baddie or other freak event. My mockup gave a foot path when needed, the future path doesn't need to be just like mine, but something would be nice. Getting a horse up there would be a bonus!
This brings up a good point. I never considered that we needed a walkway because I was just focused on a bullet train, but now that the consensus seems to favor 2 rails it makes sense to incorporate a walkable/ridable path.

To that end, where is the point that the subway from downtown turns into an elevated rail? Do we tie into Turtle's rail system and head south? Would that even work?

There is a very nice area about 16k out heading south. A simple lake about as big as our cove with extreme hills on one shore and grassland on the other. Ample dark oak not too far, plus a neighboring village to make quick friends with. Ocean and a monument just offshore. Don't know what the terrain is to get out there, but it should be explored. Preferably by a team!

As far as starting points go, I vote the subway station in Bradtropolis. We could head south, make a jog at Ken's and head west, then tie into T's line if he's up for it. Then go above ground at some point south of Turtle Estates. Also, for purely selfish reasons, I like that subway station because it lines up perfectly with 'topia and I'll eventually do something about that. Plus the transplanted Grand Central is getting turned into a paper mill.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-14, 12:02

I might have some time tonight?

Also, my current two-rail design has the rails three blocks apart. We could add a walking path right down the middle, and maybe a half block lower than the rail slabs? The walking path would then be invisible from outside the system and not add any additional visual "overhead". We could tie the path into the rails at 65-block intervals (at the towers—nothing in between). That would look good, me thinks. No "safety net" between rail and path. Add an element of danger to it. You fall off, tuff beans!

Alright, Gray. Fine. Let's do stone bricks with my design and see what it looks like. Since we will have stairs available with bricks, I have an idea for a "Y truss" with a walking path between. The path can also be stone bricks (at half-height so no baddies). The rails will ride on stone slabs (the color contrast will be nice). We can embed glowstone in the towers beneath the walking path to hide them from above yet add a little light every 65 blocks.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Rail Height: 97
Stone brick towers
Stone brick viaducts
Stone brick stair "Y-trusses" which maintain that "over-under" structure that I like
Stone slab rail supports
Stone slab foot path
Glowstone lighting acts as support for foot path

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2015-11-14 at 12:29.
¡Damned!

2015-11-14, 12:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I might have some time tonight?
I'd be up for a trek tonight. Anna's with girlfriends in Detroit so I'll be in underwear and socks with a bottle of Bushmills for the foreseeable future. Vacation day.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-14, 12:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
… underwear and socks …
TMI, dude, TMI!

The kid could use a break from school, so maybe something after 5:30 MST? We have some math to work on (ugh!), but we can do that before or after, depending on time.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
¡Damned!

2015-11-14, 12:35

That's 7:30 in civilized America time, right?

Let's do it. I'll signal BatDrew via the tweeters.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2015-11-14, 12:38

Tonight is possible, but I can't make any promises.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-14, 13:11

Jess and I will be there!

Beware the MST Barbarians!

PS: Jess has a bow and she hasn't gotten to play much, so watch out!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-11-14, 13:18

I'll try for tonight!

As for the rail designs... I just spent the last hour playing around with different ideas in creative, but I might as well throw it away because I basically made what's in Ken's last post.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-11-14, 13:40

Can we fall through Ken's design? Is there an option where I can put something on the keyboard and not fall to my death?

I'll try to be on later tonight too. I won't promise, but I'll do what I can!

As for cutting into my tunnel to head south, I don't mind at all. The train starts in my basement at the cove though, should likely be connected under the cove near down town. Also, I had to cut around Parapa since it actually cut right in the middle of my tunnel.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2015-11-14 at 13:54.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-14, 13:41

Copy cat!
¡Damned!

2015-11-14, 13:42

I like this a lot. I hear what you're saying about bricks being unsuitable for horizontals, but I still like it. Maybe they should be just straight up stone block? It's not without effort – you still have to cook cobble to get it – so I could see it being used by a Lost Civ People or something. Plus I loves me a smooth span.

Not sure about the center path... fine if you're riding or footing it out there as long as you pay attention, but what if I want to bring my dogs? What if I find a rare zebra out there and want to leash it back to town? We all die, that's what.

I think there's something to Turtle's center glass idea. Not at rail level, but a block below. Could be right on, especially with our 'clear' glass texture.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2015-11-14 at 13:53.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-14, 13:43

We could put glass panes between the walkway and the viaducts if that will help folks.

P.S. I support T's "creatively fill my chest with supplies" idea, because 15,000 of everything times 2 is gonna be a lot of crap.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-11-14, 14:01

I was going to try to get the numbers for the track locations on my rail at CC but I'm at a horrible connection right now and can't get down there. I'll post them later today when I get back home and have a solid connection.

I wouldn't be shocked if this double posts it is so bad!

709, mind putting a map down to show where you are talking about running the rails. I think I agree, but want to be sure before I say I do.

¡Damned!

2015-11-14, 14:03

I figure we can put in temporary Portals too every thousand blocks or so, just to make it easier to get back to town and our loot. The nether paths are already there, we just need to decide on a direction.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-11-14, 14:15

186 54 350 and 190 54 350 are the two endpoints for my tracks near CC.
¡Damned!

2015-11-14, 14:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
709, mind putting a map down to show where you are talking about running the rails.
Roughly here:

We would need permission from grendagle7 to pass through her base, but the rest of the underground is pretty clear afaik.

Plus Ken would like it if there was a stop at his place. He gives out pumpkin pie at his tours.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-11-14, 14:20

That shouldn't be a problem as far as I'm concerned. My east most track actually goes beyond my house because I wanted the achievement of riding the rails for 1000 blocks. My west track goes up to my house directly since it as a private line. I'm ok with that being reworked for community use though. Same with the area in my basement.

¡Damned!

2015-11-14, 14:42

I don't want to hijack your path. Don't feel like you have to... I only mentioned them earlier because you're the only person thus far in this world to do anything meaningful with rails.

I think the ultimate goal is to get to the Far South portal via underground pathways, then rise up to the hi-speed rails to continue south. You can start at the Far South Portal or start in Bradtropolis and get pie. Either or.

Actually, it might be even better to zig over near your place for a stop, then continue on the proper heading.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2015-11-14, 14:56

Better in that it still passes by Ken's (pie) and gets very close to T's house. Turtle serves fish (obviously) and his place is very, very nice. Wipe your feet.

Just a quick jaunt from there to the South Portal. A short tower will need to be designed to accommodate the incoming traffic and the peeps who get there via the Nether and want to lay a cart down, but that's simple stuff.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-14, 15:25

My basement is pretty deep and loaded with mechanicals, so … we might have to pass just to the side. An underwater rail through the lake there might be neat.

Jess and I did a couple quick mockups and came up with these. Both are the same design—with a 3-wide glass floor below the rails—but with different viaduct materials. Top two are stone brick, bottom two are gray clay with grey cotton at the pylons (the cotton gives a nice "riveted" effect.)

I am really partial to the gray clay. It keeps the darker look bud makes the viaducts look like one piece attached to the pylons with rivets. It looks awesome!

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

¡Damned!

2015-11-14, 15:27

I'm out of liquor.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-11-14, 16:13

Love the glass floor. I'm torn between the clay and the bricks. They both look good!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-14, 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I'm out of liquor.
I'm not.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-14, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Love the glass floor. I'm torn between the clay and the bricks. They both look good!
Like I did with the Nether Hub, I'll build a small mockup on the server where anyone can log in and have a look.

Just because of my affinity for sudo-realism, I like the clay over the bricks. The brick viaducts look like they should fall down, whereas the clay looks more like a material that could hold over long spans.

I'm just being picky, since the map is loaded with crap that would never stand.

The brick towers look best with the clay viaducts, IMO.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-11-14, 16:54

I really do not mind at all if the path the goes under CC comes through my basement. I'll control the stop at my basement in CC but I don't mind. Then the same for Turtle Heights other than that is much more open. Then we can just jog east from the current rail path and that has us covered from CC to almost the south portal.

I'm also not going to be bothered in the least if my current rails are left for me and my personal use. I won't be bothered at all.

My east track ends at 190 54 1366 right now.