MC: 1.9 - C'mon baby, take a chance with us

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: 1.9 - C'mon baby, take a chance with us
Page 7 of 16 First Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-11-14, 17:23

For the track design, why not skip the larger beam under the track? This would give the best view when on the track and keep a somewhat minimal design:

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2015-11-14, 21:39

Stupid question: stations? Or do we just crash on/off the track?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-14, 22:59

There will be stations. One at each end and one at every important stop on the way. Grey has that in hand.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-11-14, 23:38

My mockup is at Turtle Heights if anyone wants to see it in person. Seems like something that might be worth building the mockups in one are in the main world. Then we can all see them in person if interested. There is a field near the train station that might work great for this.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-14, 23:54

I'm going to build one in a day or two.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-11-15, 01:37

I went back in game a little while ago to move my little man back out to my exploration place out east.

Decided to reverse Grey's suggestion and try taking his tunnel out to my place.

Bad idea.

Got lost for 20 minutes, finally found a tunnel that took me east, but dumped me in the wrong area, in a totally DIFFERENT mineshaft, had to rub a few sticks together and use the torch trick to dig straight up, then ran and ran and ran around until I found the place again.

Sheesh.

How did you build all that stuff Grey????

SERIOUSLY!!!

Sheesh.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2015-11-15, 08:48

Sorry about bailing early... I logged off to reset the night and got a phone call that I couldn't get out of.

Checking your position on the map, that's a lot of ocean!

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2015-11-15, 09:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Decided to reverse Grey's suggestion and try taking his tunnel out to my place.

Bad idea.
Yeah, getting to 'topia from that tunnel is pretty simple, but I would have a hard time describing how to actually get to it from inside. The lower levels look all neat and clean but in reality they're kind've a maze. The north tunnel (impossible to find without directions or dumb luck) is the one you want to take to head to your place in the east, the east tunnel is the one to head south... or super east, which I assume is the way you took. Plus that tunnel is really freakin long, so it's easy to second guess yourself if you don't know where it leads to. It's a dead end too, as you found.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2015-11-15 at 09:51.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-11-15, 11:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Sorry about bailing early... I logged off to reset the night and got a phone call that I couldn't get out of.

Last night was fun!

Next time we do something like this, I'm going to have to resuscitate the TeamSpeak server so we can get our chat on.

Looks like mcmap hasn't totally updated yet. We trekked all the way to the 16k portal. Encountered some really great sights along the way.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-15, 19:20

Yeah, great time. Sorry you couldn't stay in, Grey. So it goes. We buried you and left a little gift for you at 250, 15000. Be careful with it, though. Kind of like opening a bottle of champagne after shaking it, if you're not careful.

Also, one thing we discussed very momentarily in game was using the barrier blocks to build the floor between the rails. They are invisible and you cannot pass through them. It would give the impression of having a wide open space between the rails while still providing a secure floor for bringing back wild-finds.

Is that still viable? If so, I would greatly appreciate if Brad/Turtle could leave me about 10 stacks to work with. I plan on building a full 3-tower mockup over the next day or two. If those blocks are not useable outside of admin, then it would be super handy for one of you to place them after the mockup is built.

Thanks!

edit: I just did a quick mockup in creative and the barriers make things awful nice. Eliminates the glass-pane look between the rails, yet provides a nice, solid (and unbreakable) walking surface. Definitely worth "breaking the rules" if you ask me.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2015-11-15 at 20:10.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-15, 20:09

At the end of the day, the route was spectacular. Very nice biomes. Three or four mountain ranges we might have to tunnel through, two or three monuments that might get in the way, lots and LOTS of ocean to cross [which means lots of deep foundations for our towers (I suggest we use cobble for the foundations, capped with stone slabs)]. It's a great route. A lot of everything, except jungle and mesa. We found none of that.

I'm starting on a materials list. Gonna be a lot of blocks. This sucker is gonna make Nether Hub 2.0 seam like a sandbox project. We're talking 230 towers alone! 30,000 tracks of various type; 31000 stone bricks; 30000 gray clay/brick (depending on our final choice); 9000 bricks for towers; 1000 brick stairs; 230-ish glowstone; if we use barrier block, then 45000 of those. Sheesh!

Busy, busy, busy

And that's just for the main line. We haven't even thought about stations, yet (well, maybe Grey has), which are going to add thousands more of all that stuff. Gonna big a big project.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
¡Damned!

2015-11-15, 20:47

I really don't like the idea of adding admin stuff in such large amounts. Glass block is fine with Brad's 'clear' texture, and really, how many times are we going to walk that 16K path? Not many I'll bet.

OP stuff freaks me out. Just sayin'.

Again, sorry about having to cut my adventure time short. But did y'all see the lake I mentioned upthread? It's nice. If south is the direction we decide upon going I think that'll make a nice 'home away from home' area.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-11-15, 20:51

The image in the texture pack will need to be different if you use barrier blocks. I'm not sure what I think about them since there is no indication that there is actually a block there. I like that there is some feedback about glass blocks there.

If you look at the maps now from our trek south you will see the barrier blocks on the map near 709's grave. No pretty at all.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-15, 22:44

Yeah, i saw those.

We'll do what's best for the entire team.

As for direction, when I trekked East it was just jungle, jungle, jungle. What a pain in the ass!

Haven't been north or west, but South was gorgeous. And that lagoon in among the mountains and the hideout-fort-cavern thing in the hills west of the portal? Just … WOW!

I vote for South, and think we should make home-base at roughly 15,700 around that lake. We could build an Italian-vista-style world around the lake and into the cavern with sky-bridges and houses amongst the cliffs and stuff. What a great spot. If New-Downtown isn't there, I'm claiming it!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-16, 16:47

I built a mockup just to the NW of Turtle Heights (250, 1280-ish) if anyone wants to have a look. It would be visible from the picture Turtle posted above.

Don't worry T, it's just temporary.

Quote:
Also, new mockup. This is a redesigned tunnel entrance which could also be used for the entire underground portion of the line. Glass blocks down the center and half-slab stone "sidewalks" along the outside edge. Glowstone overhead every 5 to 20 blocks (this is every 10) depending on how we want the atmosphere in there. Lighting is not required as this design will be monster-proof!

I like the idea of a glowstone "ring" around the entrance.

If we choose a design like the above, we will need to add an additional 25% to the material costs of this booger to cover the distance from the subway to wherever we come up for air!

Last edited by kscherer : 2015-11-16 at 17:16.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-11-17, 00:06

/give ken glass 134980263408236
/give ken rails 34534095872340972

Supplies should not come out of personal stashes for this project. If anyone wants to spend their own then have at it. Otherwise point me to chests and I will fill them up.

I don't mind if the area near Turtle Heights is used, just so long as everyone returns it to my untouched look when we are done.

The tunnel entrance looks great if you asked me. Are the sides of the rails 1/2 slab down so no baddies can spawn? I can't tell but am pretty sure that's what I'm seeing.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-17, 00:55

Yes, the sides are 1/2 slab for the exact purpose of keeping out the baddies. This design is completely monster proof (in 1.9 with no baddies spawning on the rails hopefully … *looks at Grey*) even without lighting.

As far as personal stashes/chests are concerned, I agree. The amount of materials this thing is going to suck up will bankrupt any one of us, me thinks.

The gray clay or stone bricks alone are going to number into 13+ large chests. I have 3 of clay. When I rebuilt my storage facility I told myself there was no way in hell I was going to need all that stone and dumped about 20 large. Now I'm down to 18, which would dry up under this load (Gray has 4000 large of stone, so no big deal there ).

Again, we're talking about a number exceeding 150,000 individual blocks of various types to build this, so I'm all for "Turtle Dumps" on this one.

I do think we should wait until the 1.9 upgrade passes the test before loading up, though. At that point, we'll build some supply caches along the route and let you populate them.

¡Damned!

2015-11-17, 12:30

Man, I just took a walk out there along the 250 coord and now that I'm back I'm kicking myself for not putting up some location signs. Would've been helpful for laying in temporary Nether portals while we build...

Eh, it's not that far. Probably still worth doing. It sucks to get portalized in caves under an ocean.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-17, 13:46

True that. I was just thinking that wherever those temp portals land, we should build a little fenced-in corral—well lit—capable of taking something on the order of 10 large chests and an End Chest. Caches, if you will. Say, every thousand blocks? When the time comes, we can have Turtle populate them with the necessaries for the next 1000 meters of build.

Save us an awful lot of carting crap out there.

When we finish the thing, we could take another trek along the ground to each cache, build a little room beneath the nearest tower to store away a chest of emergency supplies, then destroy the leftovers. We could tack a ladder up that pole so we have emergency up/down access at 1000-meter intervals.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-11-17, 21:05

Grey did you happen to strip out all the diamonds out where I'm digging? The mineshaft was tame, as if it had already been cleaned out.

¡Damned!

2015-11-18, 10:29

I was mostly mining from bedrock to ~11, so I probably picked up some in the strips. The mineshaft was a little too high up for diamonds, iirc.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-11-18, 12:09

Otay thanks!

I ended up building a portal using lava buckets.

Ken, I added a portal at 145 -88 in the Nether and attempted to match the design standard, but I know that it's not perfect and ran out of energy and did not add the suspended iron hangers and left off a few details.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-18, 12:47

Oh, dear.

Refusing to follow the über-strict Nether Hub 2.0 guidelines results in an automatic fine of 1 diamond block and loss of walking-forward privileges for 14 Minecraft days. You must walk backwards everywhere you go. Please deposit diamond block in my security box. Should you fail to pay said fine, Brad will turn loose quantity three (3) charged creepers in your basement.

I'm sure it will be fine. Grey will be running by there, see that and his OCD will force him to make the necessary repairs.

It's why we keep him around.

¡Damned!

2015-11-18, 13:00

ON IT. *

Actually I did just go out to Drew's to confirm my theory, and yes, you aren't quite deep enough for diamonds yet. I think they start at 15? Maybe 12. Either way you're a few levels too high.

I don't know that I've ever been out that way in the daytime. Neat place.

* Speaking of... did I never put hangars up in that short strip next to the new portal? Sheesh. First time I noticed.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2015-11-18, 13:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Man, I just took a walk out there along the 250 coord and now that I'm back I'm kicking myself for not putting up some location signs. Would've been helpful for laying in temporary Nether portals while we build...

Eh, it's not that far. Probably still worth doing. It sucks to get portalized in caves under an ocean.
I did just that early this morning before work. Basically just marked the shorelines and any mountainous areas near or above 90 along the 250 coord heading.

Also during my walk yesterday I took a boat out past the portal to check out the monument, saw a tiny sand island to the west, found another monument right offshore of that, then spied a little red sand island! So I did a tiny explore of the mesa and adjacent desert. I was wondering if we'd have something nearby for glass making, so that helps.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-11-22, 18:26

Whoops! Just now catching up on the discussion I missed here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Also, one thing we discussed very momentarily in game was using the barrier blocks to build the floor between the rails. [...] Is that still viable? If so, I would greatly appreciate if Brad/Turtle could leave me about 10 stacks to work with. I plan on building a full 3-tower mockup over the next day or two. If those blocks are not useable outside of admin, then it would be super handy for one of you to place them after the mockup is built.
It we can build the railways without resorting to barrier blocks, I'd much prefer we go that way. Barrier blocks present a few problems. They show up ugly on the map, they require us magicking in the resources (not a big deal), you can't see where they are unless you're in creative mode, and you can't break them unless you're in creative mode. If we want to make any corrections as we go, that would require me or Turtle to be supervising so one of us could enter creative mode (or put one of you into it) as needed.

As for normal resources, I'm about to get online and fill a few chests in town with supplies! Rails, booster rails, button rails, glass, glowstone, smooth slabs... anything I might be forgetting?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-11-22, 18:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
As for normal resources, I'm about to get online and fill a few chests in town with supplies! Rails, booster rails, button rails, glass, glowstone, smooth slabs... anything I might be forgetting?
I filled a few chests in the former testificate house downtown. Should be enough for a little start! Will refill later as needed.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-11-22, 19:40

I miss those testificates.

Nothing like mindless jabbering in the background.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-22, 23:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I filled a few chests in the former testificate house downtown. Should be enough for a little start! Will refill later as needed.
Just waiting on a decision whether we will go with stone brick or gray clay. Then we can pile that stuff in, too.

As far as construction goes, since we will not be wiping the spawn chunks, it seems that we can go ahead and start carving out a subway tunnel following Grey's route out to the South portal, right?

Are we far enough along with the design that we can do that?

We will have to come up out of the ground out there somewhere, and I suggest we build a "station" at that point and get the first tower up. That way, we'll have a solid starting point once 1.9 goes live. We can just build the sky-rail out from there. It'll give me something to dig while we wait for the update.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-11-23, 01:23

If the rail will sit on the 250 line then it would need a station by my place. I can make the connection underground as needed since it would really just be for me. If the player who lives near me wants rail access I can build it if they ever come back to the server.

I'm still not sure there needs to be the clay or stone brick. It could just be the half slabs with the rails on them as far as I'm concerned. I like the look of the grey clay since it more resembles concrete we would see in a rail up in the air like that IRL.