Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Chance of powerbooks at WWDC?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Chance of powerbooks at WWDC?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
kashou

2005-04-28, 08:13

Looking for some opinions on whether we will see a PB update at WWDC or possibly even Paris.

My current situation allows me to wait, but my work would be much improved if I had a powerbook. Being chained to my desk is becoming more and more of a problem. I was going to get a 15", 1.67, 128MB vram model after Tiger is released, but now I am having second thoughts. I wouldn't necessarily benefit directly from a speed increase, but I plan on keeping this for many years and want a purchase that will last.

I know the release history. It just seems that with Jobs saying this is the year of HD and the last update being such a small bump there is a good chance that an upgrade within 5-6 months of the last upgrade is plausible.

-kash

Last edited by kashou : 2005-04-28 at 08:18.
autodata
hustlin

2005-04-28, 09:06

The difference between the ibook and powerbook is pretty narrow as well, particularly if the ibook gets a speed bump any time soon.
Buthidae

2005-04-30, 07:02

I reckon if we see anything at WWDC, it'll be an HD lcd option for the 17" (maybe 15" too, but I doubt it).

By my reckoning, the PB's are due for an update in about September, given that the updates have all been about 9 months apart (excluding the early intro of the 12" and 17" AlBooks). That suggests a Paris launch, and sure enough, google tells me that PAE is 20-24th September.

Given that it's still (only just!) April, I wouldn't expect any news or surprise releases before August, and I say go for it
dougiemac

2005-04-30, 13:05

Anyone think there is a connection between the Student Discount (Sales section) of Apple has a rebate on APP??? The rebate is valid until June 26th...
shningpath

2005-04-30, 15:13

hey,
i was just surfing thrugh and found out i wasn'tthe only one holding off for a HD Pbook.
Its getting so I'm sick of looking at my shopping cart ready to go - for a17incher.
I do video editing, and yeah, since I intend to wait out until the 2nd gen G5 Pbook,
I'd be really pissed if something came out in June and I missed that by a month.

BTW, what are the chances of an LCD upgrade, I mean just the screen - is this even possible?
v.noir

2005-04-30, 20:13

All you kids hoping for the HD powerbook... they'd better give it one heck of a kick in terms of performance as well; HD H.264 content plays like crap on my 1.5GHz 17" PBG4.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-04-30, 21:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.noir
All you kids hoping for the HD powerbook... they'd better give it one heck of a kick in terms of performance as well; HD H.264 content plays like crap on my 1.5GHz 17" PBG4.
Logical conclusion: We'll get an HD screen when we get a G5 powerbook. Dammit, now it'll never happen!
JK47

2005-04-30, 23:46

I just received a pamphlet from my college to purchase a laptop for next year. I flipped through it and was dismayed when I didnt see any Apples. Next to the two Dells offered is a section explaining that my college supports Apple computers but they arent featured in the brochure because their new back-to-school laptop models were not available at press time.We expect that in June 2005, configuration information and pricing for Apple laptops will be available at the college bookstore. I dont understand how the Powerbooks (introduced at the end of January) couldnt meet a press release for a pamphlet I just got, and wont be available till June. My only guess is that theyre waiting for an iBook update. (Even though 2 pictures of students using laptops in the brochure were Powerbooks.) Any thoughts?
alexluft

2005-05-01, 00:12

I am also waiting for a PowerBook update and was very unimpressed with the last update, however, after giving it much research, I found out that Apple does not make their own cases for their laptops. Rather, Apple buys designs from ASUS, a company that makes and designs notebooks, and makes them Apples... SO in order for a major update to any of the 'books, (such as G5 in PBs), we will also probably see either a design change or a new processor such as a G5 mobile or something ala Pentium M ofcourse, however, from IBM...
Bucolic Old Sir Henry

2005-05-01, 01:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexluft
after giving it much research, I found out that Apple does not make their own cases for their laptops. Rather, Apple buys designs from ASUS, a company that makes and designs notebooks, and makes them Apples...
Not very much research, apparently, because you are talking nonsense.

Apple designs every aspect of their computers in California, and then commissions companies such as Asutek to build them. What you suggest happens, I'm told, with some other computer companies. But not Apple.

I personally think that there's a good chance of significant PowerBook revisions at WWDC, including the introduction of a G5 Mobile chip. Apple and IBM are said to have been working on a low power chip since the first days of the 970. It will happen.

But not until I've caved in and swapped my Pismo for a G4...

Pip pip!
saschke

Send a message via ICQ to saschke Send a message via MSN to saschke  
2005-05-01, 05:28

amen sir henry
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-05-01, 05:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucolic Old Sir Henry
You might say that alexluft was talking out of his *asus*...
Bucolic Old Sir Henry

2005-05-01, 06:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrain
You might say that alexluft was talking out of his *asus*...
You might very well think that, but I couldn't possibly comment...

Pip pip!
alexluft

2005-05-01, 08:36

Sorry that you think that...I read it in an article, can't find it at the moment, however.

for now, you can check out http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l...&modelmenu= 1

That looks like an iBook to me. Especially the view with the latch.

Sorry if I'm wrong...Charge it to my head, not my heart
omem

2005-05-01, 09:10

Quote:
Sorry that you think that...I read it in an article, can't find it at the moment, however.

you haven't seen many ibooks, have you?
alexluft

2005-05-01, 10:33

Typing on one right now
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-05-01, 11:24

Quote:

Yeah, you're way off base here. If you look at the packaging of any Apple hardware, you'll see "Designed by Apple in California" prominently displayed. Your first clue about the ASUS laptop you think resembles an iBook is the height measurement. They list the height on the ASUS site as 1.7" where all iBooks are 1.35". Not even close. I think you might be confused with designs and part supply. I believe ASUS does supply Apple with some motherboards, which is often cited as a reason for the recent drop in quality assurance.

You might want to click on the enlargement if you still aren't convinced. You'll see that there aren't the same ports and those that are the same aren't in the same place. This laptop doesn't even have space for an internal combo drive. The bottom sides of the laptop are curved and dozens of other features don't even come close. It's yet another terrible attempt by a competitor to slap on one or two seemingly similar design ideas and call it good.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs

Last edited by sunrain : 2005-05-01 at 12:03.
autodata
hustlin

2005-05-01, 12:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47
My only guess is that theyre waiting for an iBook update.
I doubt it.
Quote:
Even though 2 pictures of students using laptops in the brochure were Powerbooks.
Those are just stock photos.
Silverhawk

2005-05-11, 15:20

Hi guys,

I began to read this thread as "Chance of PowerBooks at WWDC?" but for some reason I'm reading a lot about iBooks, don't get me wrong I have an iBook right now. But I'm really interested in a "G5 LAPTOP", is it possible that it would come out in June at the WWDC? or do we have to wait longer for it?

For me there's no other option but to wait, cause I'm reading in other forums that people are really troubled by QuickTime 7 in their G4s, apparently the G4s don't have the juice to run H264 tech. Only G5s can do it. And after working for more than 3 years on a laptop there is no way I'm going back to a desktop.

So please let there be an upgrade in PowerBooks soon!
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2005-05-11, 15:28

Is this a new PowerBook thread, or should I say, will this be "the" new PB thread until WWDC?
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-05-11, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude
Is this a new PowerBook thread, or should I say, will this be "the" new PB thread until WWDC?
And then it will be converted into MWNY or AEP and then MWSF and the same questions will be hashed out over and over again.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-05-11, 22:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucolic Old Sir Henry

Apple designs every aspect of their computers in California, and then commissions companies such as Asutek to build them. What you suggest happens, I'm told, with some other computer companies. But not Apple.

I personally think that there's a good chance of significant PowerBook revisions at WWDC, including the introduction of a G5 Mobile chip. Apple and IBM are said to have been working on a low power chip since the first days of the 970. It will happen.

But not until I've caved in and swapped my Pismo for a G4...

Pip pip!
Something about this post made me crap my pants in laughter. No, there's nothing really funny about it. Just the fact that the user name is ludicrous and the "pip pip" at the end. Then the following post says something about "amen."

Jesus, I need my meds.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2005-05-11, 22:36

Could it be anything to do with finals? I'm sure that had to drive some people to at least a moderate level of insanity.
Bucolic Old Sir Henry

2005-05-11, 23:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
Just the fact that the user name is ludicrous and the "pip pip" at the end.
And yours isn't?

[Mine is in homage to the late, great Viv Stanshall, who created the very memorable Sir Henry Rawlinson, a bucolic old English buffoon with a remarkable line in wit. When posting in a lighter vein, I sometimes use the name Old Scrotum, that being the name of Sir Henry's wrinkled retainer (personal servant). And I live in the country.]

I suppose you thought the G5Mobile bit was a real scream.

Pip pip!
CobaltFire

Send a message via AIM to CobaltFire  
2005-05-11, 23:26

I just have 3 things:

1) GIVE ME MY G5 PB.... Well, my 1.25GHz is still going strong, but I still want one...

2) My 15" PB's screen is technically HD native (1280x854 > 1280x720, aka 720p) so what is with the screen upgrade argument?

3) ASUS (ASUSTek) is known for extremely high quality parts... why they would be the cause of Apple parts failing is beyond me. They make some of the most reliable and high quality mainboards you will EVER find, and they RMA anything that has ANY problems.

Last edited by CobaltFire : 2005-05-11 at 23:32.
jbloodwo

2005-05-11, 23:49

Quote:

The QA lab at the office has one of thoe and it loos less lile an iBook in person. that unit in no diffrent that that HK shuffule kockoff. ASUS has buit this unint in response to the iBook. the white on the case is not higloss and is is a diffrent shade of white. it looks close but is not the same color as that on the iBook. I would not be suprised if the "frost white" for whatever it is offical called by apple has a product design trademak. ASUS had demand from pc makers to come up with a product that looked like that so ASUS deliverd. and i ma thinking that that model has only been around sence maby the fall of last year but it could be newer thatn that.

12" PowerBook (1.5Ghz 512 meg combo)
3g iPod (15 gig)
error406

2005-05-12, 07:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltFire
I just have 3 things:

1) GIVE ME MY G5 PB.... Well, my 1.25GHz is still going strong, but I still want one...
Ditto. I don't need a faster CPU, it's just that I don't want to pay today's price for yesterday's CPU....

Quote:
2) My 15" PB's screen is technically HD native (1280x854 > 1280x720, aka 720p) so what is with the screen upgrade argument?
Because it's ridiculously outdated. It's a joke. Much cheaper notebooks have much brighter screens in a much higher resolution. It's really embarrasing if you see my beautiful Powerbook side by side with some cheap ugly Wintel-notebook, because the first thing anybody notices is how dim and low-res the Powerbook screen is. My Asus (yes, build by Asustek themselves) W1N notebook does a bright and colorful 1680x1050 on the same size widescreen. It just makes the PB look very, very old.

And unlike the G5-problem, I can see no valid reason why Apple hasn't updated these screens, unless they are planning to release something very spectacular and portable very soon. To keep offering such an expensive notebook with a dim stone-age 1280x854 screen until september would be an insult.
CobaltFire

Send a message via AIM to CobaltFire  
2005-05-12, 13:08

Well, I do hope they would update it, having 1080i play natively would rock. With that said, i wonder who makes those screens, and how much they cost relative to the current ones. It does seem a bit unexcusable that they haven't updated the screens since going to the Al book's.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-05-12, 14:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot
Could it be anything to do with finals? I'm sure that had to drive some people to at least a moderate level of insanity.
Yes, yes, that was it! Finals! hahaha

3.6 GPA bitches!

Nah, I'm fine. Just glad that Summer is here. Going to see Coldplay and Social Distortion tomorrow!

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-05-12, 15:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
3.6 GPA bitches!
cough...penn state...cough