AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iBook to PC Music Sharing

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iBook to PC Music Sharing
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-08-20, 19:41

Okay. Up in my room, I have my awesomely huge music collection on my iBook. Downstairs is an old Pentium box running Windows 98, conveniently hooked up to a stereo. I would like to play my iBook's music on that PC downstairs, however the hard disk is quite tiny (3 GB). Both computers are on my network. So, how do I set up the Windows 98 PC to access my iBook's Music folder?

Please note that I don't think I can install iTunes, since it needs Windows 2000. I would just like the PC to be able to access my music folder over the network.

Thanks in advance!

You ask me for a hamburger.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-08-20, 19:46

That's going to be problematic, because I've never managed to get OS X's SMB to work with Windows 98. Others may have more success, but it almost certainly involved buggering around with the text configuration file.

You could try streaming music with VLC or Darwin Streaming Server, I suppose.

Actually, you could maybe do it via ftp… Windows Explorer can browse ftp shares quite handily. I haven't used Windows 98 in so long that I really can't remember how it handles it.

Last edited by staph : 2005-08-20 at 19:50.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-08-20, 23:43

Well, I played around with SMB/CIFS on the iBook for a while. On the PC, you can type in "\\192.168.1.101\chrismartin" in explorer. It prompts you for a password. Presumedly, you'll be able to access the iBook after you type it in and click "ok".

One problem: my user password on my iBook is 16 digits. Windows will only allow you to type in 15. Is there any way I can type in the whole password and access it without changing my root password (which I really don't want to do)?

chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-08-21, 02:29

As the other guy suggested, you probably want to use VLC media player. It supports iTunes's built-in music sharing.
staph
Microbial member

2005-08-21, 07:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
Well, I played around with SMB/CIFS on the iBook for a while. On the PC, you can type in "\\192.168.1.101\chrismartin" in explorer. It prompts you for a password. Presumedly, you'll be able to access the iBook after you type it in and click "ok".

One problem: my user password on my iBook is 16 digits. Windows will only allow you to type in 15. Is there any way I can type in the whole password and access it without changing my root password (which I really don't want to do)?
Well, I haven't tried it for a while (not since 10.2, I think). It might work these days.

As for the password thing, no, I think you're buggered.

BTW, here's a screenie of DAAP (aka iTunes Bonjour sharing) in VLC:

You enable it from the File > Services Discovery > DAAP shares. As you can see, I have excellent musical taste.

Last edited by staph : 2005-08-21 at 07:17.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-08-21, 09:21

Well, I downloaded VLC, but...

Where do I find "services discovery"?
staph
Microbial member

2005-08-21, 09:53

In the windows version, open your playlist, then Manage > Services discovery.

Strangely, it doesn't include DAAP on my Windows version. Perhaps support for it hasn't yet filtered over to the Windows version?
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-08-21, 09:54

I did, and all that's there are "SAP announces" and "Shoutcast Radio Listings". No iTunes share.
staph
Microbial member

2005-08-21, 10:15

Quote:
I did, and all that's there are "SAP announces" and "Shoutcast Radio Listings". No iTunes share.
Yeah, my second sentence noted that.

Hmm. Not sure where to go from here…

Edit: it seems there were GPL issues with libopendaap which have now been resolved — so a future Windows version will have daap support. See here

Last edited by staph : 2005-08-21 at 10:26.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-08-21, 10:29

Well, according to this, I can get something called "libopendaap" for VLC. Sadly, there's no download link.

Edit: guess you found it before I did. Thank you much. Anybody else have some insight?

staph
Microbial member

2005-08-21, 10:59

Quote:
Well, according to this, I can get something called "libopendaap" for VLC. Sadly, there's no download link.

Edit: guess you found it before I did. Thank you much. Anybody else have some insight?
It seems to be a compile-time option. There's a good chance you'd have to do your own custom build.