MC: AppleNova Minecraft server upgrades & maintenance

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: AppleNova Minecraft server upgrades & maintenance
Page 19 of 21 First Previous 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21  Next Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-12-24, 16:43

Of course, it is Christmas Eve and Daddy Santa has a lot of work ahead so I'm going to be hit of miss tonight and tomorrow!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-01-12, 08:31

Server is coming down. Likely for two days. I'll let you all know when it comes back up.

Major electrical work at my house for the solar install.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-01-12, 09:45

Good luck! Thanks for the heads up.
¡Damned!

2023-01-12, 11:09

Renewable energy FTB FTW!!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-01-12, 11:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
FTB

¡Damned!

2023-01-13, 14:12

Right? Up until a bit ago I had that world running on an old High Sierra cheesegrater – I'd revisit every once in a while just to jetpack around. Somewhere along the way FTB upgraded their login app and I couldn't get the old world running again. C'est la vie.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-01-13, 15:07

We should be back up and running solid again. Solar isn't done but the power outages related to it should be for now. I've not been able to test it... this has been a REALLY stressful couple of days.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-02-07, 10:35

I'm gonna shutdown the server for a little bit so I can upgrade the host. Should be up in relative short order.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-02-07, 11:21

We are back.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-02-08, 11:02

Ok, I'm just gonna throw this out there, my internet service is really sucking right now. A tech is on the way but who knows when it will be "properly" repaired. Was stable, isn't now and hasn't been since the 3rd or so.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-02-24, 13:42

Known downtime is coming Monday the 27th. Likely all day but should be back up by evening.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-03-31, 14:51

Ummm...

We might have some REALLY bad news. I know that this server is not really being played on much, but it might get even less traffic here in a month or so.

I got a call from someone claiming to be AT&T to tell me that they will be killing my VDSL service next month. There is no other provider in this area. Everything is pushing me to go wireless. Those all have data caps and no static IPs nor port forwarding.

I might lose ALL of me resources being hosted in my house. This would be all my web services and all would have to go away or find a new home on the web again.

I looked at Starlink and they don't even offer coverage in my area yet. I would be waitlisted for them. So far they seem to be my best option though... once I would be able to get service with them. No static IPs, but maybe port forwarding. I also think they are free from data caps IIRC.

This sucks. I'll keep y'all posted.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-03-31, 17:38

We will pay for an AWS instance if that's necessary, or are there dedicated MC world spin-up companies?

Also: that sucks. Very sorry to hear your news

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-03-31, 20:40

Dang. Sorry to hear that! Minecraft server aside, I seem to recall that you've been hosting so much other personal stuff from your home network. I can only begin to imagine how stressful that will be to sort out. I've had Google Fiber in my home for the last few years, and whenever I hear news about their Fiber division, it's almost always a rumor about its inevitable demise, and my anxiety ramps right up. My next "best" options are Spectrum and AT&T, and unsurprisingly they are both much more expensive for much worse service.

As for the Minecraft server, I could trim the world and bring it back over to the main AppleNova server here. I'd need to enable the world border setting since I don't have unlimited disk space, but like you said, there's not a lot of activity lately, and I'm pretty sure this server could handle the load. (More on that below, though…)

As much fun as our little gaming community has been, though, I do believe its glory days are firmly behind us, several years behind us in fact. I would be bittersweet to say goodbye, of course, but maybe it's a happy ending for the server go quietly in the night while nobody is watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
We will pay for an AWS instance if that's necessary, or are there dedicated MC world spin-up companies?
Yeah, there have been dedicated Minecraft server hosts for the better part of a decade. I believe it's a pretty mature market now, but the last time I looked around (never seriously, just out of curiosity), most of them (certainly not the cheap ones) didn't allow the freedom to basically run with root access and do anything like we've had with T's server (and previously mine on AppleNova).

AWS gets expensive pretty fast, especially considering how little time we spend in game, at least compared to the dedicated Minecraft hosting services. The baseline EC2 type we'd want would probably be t4g.medium (2 CPU cores, 4 GB RAM) which would run $25/month plus disk storage costs. To compare, dedicated Minecraft hosts with roughly equivalent resources run around $10/month. Do we have enough interest to sink ~$150-300/year on Minecraft? Probably not. I think my last login was around the December/New Years holiday break, and I've doubtless sunk countless hundreds of hours into our worlds over the years.

I currently pay $30/month for the server that runs AppleNova. It also hosts a few other personal projects of mine, and it's still somewhat idle. Linode just announced their first price increase in the whole 15+ years that I've been a customer ("Created: 2008-02-11"). Previously, as hardware got cheaper, every few years they'd actually give existing plans more resources for the same price point. I guess selling out to Akamai means someone took on a fat wad of debt, and now daddy's gotta get paid.

Anyway, soon it'll be $36/month, and I'll probably opt down to the next lower tier at $24/month (I'd already been thinking about dropping from $30 to $20, and this rate increase may push me over). The current tier has 3 CPU cores (of a 2.2 GHz AMD EPYC 7601) and 6 GB RAM. The $24/month tier has 2 CPU cores and 4 GB RAM. That would be pretty slim for the forums, database, my personal projects, and Minecraft. It could probably muster a couple people online, but certainly not the 10+ we had when business was booming a decade ago.

Huh. Actually, now that I do the math, it might be more economical for me to move all of AppleNova into AWS. That certainly wasn't always the case. One of the problems with running AppleNova in AWS EC2, though, is that EC2 blocks normal sendmail activity. That means the forums sending automated emails (subscribed thread updates, PM notifications, password resets) would be difficult or impossible to configure. But I digress…

T, I'll try to keep a close eye on this thread for your updates in the coming days and weeks. I'm long overdue for downloading a backup from your server; I'll update my local copy this weekend. As we approach end of service, I think it makes sense to coordinate a proper shutdown of the game server, at least in its current state. Maybe we can rally the troops for one last hurrah before the end?

If we don't migrate to a new server, I'm thinking it would only be fair to (…drum roll please…) finally share a downloadable backup of the current world for Drew, Grey, Ken, and anyone else who's still lurking to enjoy exploring on their personal machines. I could upload it to a free junk file hosting site like MEGA since serving god-only-knows how many GBs from AppleNova might be a tall order.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-04-01, 13:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Dang. Sorry to hear that! Minecraft server aside, I seem to recall that you've been hosting so much other personal stuff from your home network. I can only begin to imagine how stressful that will be to sort out. I've had Google Fiber in my home for the last few years, and whenever I hear news about their Fiber division, it's almost always a rumor about its inevitable demise, and my anxiety ramps right up. My next "best" options are Spectrum and AT&T, and unsurprisingly they are both much more expensive for much worse service.
You are one of the few who likely understands my true pain. It has been rough and I do host a bunch of services from my network. I run static IPs and use those to access specific work related resources as well. Going to wireless or even Starlink would kill the ability to even have an external IP in most cases. Routing traffic back to my network for hosting services would not happen. The list for me really does go on and on.

Quote:
As for the Minecraft server, I could trim the world and bring it back over to the main AppleNova server here. I'd need to enable the world border setting since I don't have unlimited disk space, but like you said, there's not a lot of activity lately, and I'm pretty sure this server could handle the load. (More on that below, though…)

As much fun as our little gaming community has been, though, I do believe its glory days are firmly behind us, several years behind us in fact. I would be bittersweet to say goodbye, of course, but maybe it's a happy ending for the server go quietly in the night while nobody is watching.
This has crossed my mind a number of times. I don't mind hosting the server at all and even kinda enjoy it. I have been tracking the access to the server via my Zabbix monitoring server and the "mcstatus" app running on the anmc server. We have had little traffic overall for more than the year it has been logged.

Our max was three at one time near New Years Eve and normally one person coming and going here and there. The graph makes it really easy to see.
Quote:
Yeah, there have been dedicated Minecraft server hosts for the better part of a decade. I believe it's a pretty mature market now, but the last time I looked around (never seriously, just out of curiosity), most of them (certainly not the cheap ones) didn't allow the freedom to basically run with root access and do anything like we've had with T's server (and previously mine on AppleNova).

AWS gets expensive pretty fast, especially considering how little time we spend in game, at least compared to the dedicated Minecraft hosting services. The baseline EC2 type we'd want would probably be t4g.medium (2 CPU cores, 4 GB RAM) which would run $25/month plus disk storage costs. To compare, dedicated Minecraft hosts with roughly equivalent resources run around $10/month. Do we have enough interest to sink ~$150-300/year on Minecraft? Probably not. I think my last login was around the December/New Years holiday break, and I've doubtless sunk countless hundreds of hours into our worlds over the years.

I currently pay $30/month for the server that runs AppleNova. It also hosts a few other personal projects of mine, and it's still somewhat idle. Linode just announced their first price increase in the whole 15+ years that I've been a customer ("Created: 2008-02-11"). Previously, as hardware got cheaper, every few years they'd actually give existing plans more resources for the same price point. I guess selling out to Akamai means someone took on a fat wad of debt, and now daddy's gotta get paid.

Anyway, soon it'll be $36/month, and I'll probably opt down to the next lower tier at $24/month (I'd already been thinking about dropping from $30 to $20, and this rate increase may push me over). The current tier has 3 CPU cores (of a 2.2 GHz AMD EPYC 7601) and 6 GB RAM. The $24/month tier has 2 CPU cores and 4 GB RAM. That would be pretty slim for the forums, database, my personal projects, and Minecraft. It could probably muster a couple people online, but certainly not the 10+ we had when business was booming a decade ago.

Huh. Actually, now that I do the math, it might be more economical for me to move all of AppleNova into AWS. That certainly wasn't always the case. One of the problems with running AppleNova in AWS EC2, though, is that EC2 blocks normal sendmail activity. That means the forums sending automated emails (subscribed thread updates, PM notifications, password resets) would be difficult or impossible to configure. But I digress…
Most web services suck. Azure and AWS are brutal to the wallet. I would recommend looking at DigitalOcean if you are considering moving. I'm sure the AN server would actually fit in one of the $10/m droplets. If not I'm sure you would still end up better off than if you went with "traditional" hosting.
Quote:
T, I'll try to keep a close eye on this thread for your updates in the coming days and weeks. I'm long overdue for downloading a backup from your server; I'll update my local copy this weekend. As we approach end of service, I think it makes sense to coordinate a proper shutdown of the game server, at least in its current state. Maybe we can rally the troops for one last hurrah before the end?

If we don't migrate to a new server, I'm thinking it would only be fair to (…drum roll please…) finally share a downloadable backup of the current world for Drew, Grey, Ken, and anyone else who's still lurking to enjoy exploring on their personal machines. I could upload it to a free junk file hosting site like MEGA since serving god-only-knows how many GBs from AppleNova might be a tall order.
I spent the better part of today on the phone with AT&T. It has been painful and frustrating to say the least. Of all the conflicting information I've been given the common theme is that I likely won't lose my VDSL in a month but I might gain fiber as an option in the next couple of weeks. I don't believe that in the least... but I am glad to hear that I might not actually lose my ISP as it is. For the other parts of my call, I've been contacting AT&T because my internet connection is horrible today. Coming and going with absurd latency hit or mis. It has just been brutal.

Yesterday I contacted Spectrum who is our local cable provider. They do not currently offer services for my "neighborhood" (in the sticks) but do for a new one a stone's throw away. They are now going to come out and do a survey to looks at replying services to our neighborhood! In the next "one to two weeks" I should hear from a Spectrum rep on the expansion into our area to get me service. I would assume if they do expand it would be fiber. Of course, this is all still a pipe dream until I have a new cable connected to my building.

If we do make the world available for download we will figure out a way to get them somewhere public. I think I still have the world files from all the previous builds too, like my old favorite of Bridgeport.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-04-02, 14:30

So my connection is still total crap. I've had to attempt to post many times and the post gets lost because I don't save it to clipboard before trying to post and then it gets eaten because my connection is down at the moment I attempt to post it.

AT&T is supposed to be out Tuesday to try again. This just sucks.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-04-03, 09:24

Here is a small sample of my current at&t service:
Code:
64 bytes from 144.160.155.43: icmp_seq=674 ttl=241 time=85.302 ms 64 bytes from 144.160.155.43: icmp_seq=675 ttl=241 time=88.127 ms 64 bytes from 144.160.155.43: icmp_seq=676 ttl=241 time=288.257 ms 64 bytes from 144.160.155.43: icmp_seq=677 ttl=241 time=84.643 ms 64 bytes from 144.160.155.43: icmp_seq=678 ttl=241 time=85.287 ms 64 bytes from 144.160.155.43: icmp_seq=679 ttl=241 time=107.234 ms 64 bytes from 144.160.155.43: icmp_seq=680 ttl=241 time=84.990 ms 64 bytes from 144.160.155.43: icmp_seq=681 ttl=241 time=175.348 ms 64 bytes from 144.160.155.43: icmp_seq=682 ttl=241 time=1595.754 ms 64 bytes from 144.160.155.43: icmp_seq=683 ttl=241 time=599.009 ms 64 bytes from 144.160.155.43: icmp_seq=684 ttl=241 time=407.780 ms 64 bytes from 144.160.155.43: icmp_seq=685 ttl=241 time=131.371 ms Request timeout for icmp_seq 687 Request timeout for icmp_seq 688 Request timeout for icmp_seq 689 64 bytes from 144.160.155.43: icmp_seq=686 ttl=241 time=4505.776 ms 64 bytes from 144.160.155.43: icmp_seq=687 ttl=241 time=3499.289 ms 64 bytes from 144.160.155.43: icmp_seq=688 ttl=241 time=2504.454 ms 64 bytes from 144.160.155.43: icmp_seq=691 ttl=241 time=95.396 ms 64 bytes from 144.160.155.43: icmp_seq=692 ttl=241 time=85.090 ms 64 bytes from 144.160.155.43: icmp_seq=693 ttl=241 time=94.702 ms 64 bytes from 144.160.155.43: icmp_seq=694 ttl=241 time=94.149 ms 64 bytes from 144.160.155.43: icmp_seq=695 ttl=241 time=199.171 ms 64 bytes from 144.160.155.43: icmp_seq=696 ttl=241 time=85.155 ms 64 bytes from 144.160.155.43: icmp_seq=697 ttl=241 time=95.208 ms 64 bytes from 144.160.155.43: icmp_seq=698 ttl=241 time=87.217 ms 64 bytes from 144.160.155.43: icmp_seq=699 ttl=241 time=84.730 ms
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-04-03, 09:34

Oof.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-04-07, 08:04

Still sucks...
Code:
Fri Apr 7 09:02:47 EDT 2023: 64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=14182 ttl=51 time=45.790 ms Fri Apr 7 09:02:48 EDT 2023: 64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=14183 ttl=51 time=40.208 ms Fri Apr 7 09:02:49 EDT 2023: 64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=14184 ttl=51 time=496.138 ms Fri Apr 7 09:02:52 EDT 2023: Request timeout for icmp_seq 14186 Fri Apr 7 09:02:53 EDT 2023: Request timeout for icmp_seq 14187 Fri Apr 7 09:02:54 EDT 2023: 64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=14185 ttl=51 time=3944.725 ms Fri Apr 7 09:02:54 EDT 2023: 64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=14186 ttl=51 time=3029.585 ms Fri Apr 7 09:02:54 EDT 2023: 64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=14187 ttl=51 time=2090.295 ms Fri Apr 7 09:02:57 EDT 2023: Request timeout for icmp_seq 14191 Fri Apr 7 09:02:57 EDT 2023: 64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=14188 ttl=51 time=4845.359 ms Fri Apr 7 09:02:57 EDT 2023: 64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=14189 ttl=51 time=3844.342 ms Fri Apr 7 09:02:57 EDT 2023: 64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=14190 ttl=51 time=2870.008 ms Fri Apr 7 09:02:57 EDT 2023: 64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=14191 ttl=51 time=1871.834 ms Fri Apr 7 09:02:58 EDT 2023: 64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=14193 ttl=51 time=63.304 ms Fri Apr 7 09:02:59 EDT 2023: 64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=14194 ttl=51 time=54.269 ms Fri Apr 7 09:03:00 EDT 2023: 64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=14195 ttl=51 time=670.643 ms Fri Apr 7 09:03:01 EDT 2023: 64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=14196 ttl=51 time=684.705 ms Fri Apr 7 09:03:05 EDT 2023: 64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=14197 ttl=51 time=2880.985 ms Fri Apr 7 09:03:06 EDT 2023: 64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=14198 ttl=51 time=2931.369 ms Fri Apr 7 09:03:06 EDT 2023: 64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=14199 ttl=51 time=1996.645 ms Fri Apr 7 09:03:06 EDT 2023: 64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=14200 ttl=51 time=996.950 ms Fri Apr 7 09:03:06 EDT 2023: 64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=14201 ttl=51 time=94.231 ms
The most frustrating part is that AT&T says the lines check out as good. Clearly there is something still wrong and it might be beyond the lines.

Edit: It has gotten so bad I'm now logging ping from a Raspberry Pi connected to their router. So they can tell me it is good but I'll know. They also jump to tell me I have a third party router and that is the real problem. This is why I'm running this Pi on their router.
Code:
ping -O 1.1.1.1| while read pong; do echo "$(date): $pong"| tee -a attPing.txt; done

Last edited by turtle : 2023-04-07 at 09:02.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-05-02, 21:15

Guys, I hate to say it... but I think it is time for the party to be over.

It is hard to believe I have been hosting the Minecraft server for more than 12 years now. It all started with a bare metal install on an old Dell R300 (that has since been donated to TCC's computer club), Lenny.

Since then it has been moved and upgraded along the way and ended up in a virtual machine. During that time you guys chipped in for hardware upgrades that made the server more enjoyable. Right now is is on the big black machine in the lower right, Volstagg.

Volstagg is running an "ancient" i7-6700K with multiple SSD and 64GB of RAM. It is also running ESXi which is how the VM for "anmc7" is managed.

We spent many hours together, and individually building and playing. Sharing resources and just helping each other out with community builds as well as our own personal projects. Members have come and gone from the server with a few that have been around until now. I also built and published mapping for our server along the way. Google took away their API so we can't even look at the old maps now.

Personally, I have moved from Va Beach where I had FiOS to now the sticks of north western SC in the foothills. I have horrible internet but one hell of a great view. My personal life is so much more enjoyable too. I didn't gain more time to get back into MC though.

Time marches on and rather than letting this languish with my inattention and old (soon to be retired) hardware I'm going to say we need to pull the plug. My internet connection is total garbage right now and this isn't helping. I'm still under the threat that I"m going to have AT&T terminate my VDSL at any time forcing me to move to cellular or Starlink for internet services. This will not work with anything inbound where I happen to host a number of services.

Of course, if Brad wants to move the game to the applenova.com server that would be awesome for 709, who is the one consistent player who will be impacted the most.

I'm avoiding giving a drop dead date for when I'm going to shutdown the VM. I think it would be worth it for those who are interested to be able to log in again to be able to do so before I shut it down. I'm also very open to making the world files available for download. Then you all can visit the old worlds all you want on your local machines.

Last edited by turtle : 2023-05-02 at 21:47.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-05-02, 21:46

Thank you for providing this for us all this time.

I faithfully follow Mindcrack and Hermitcraft and Empires players on YouTube, and dream of having time to become a famous YouTube Minecrafter.

I am sorry that we will be losing this common meeting place, but every chapter has an end.

If there IS a future server that will be wonderful.

¡Damned!

2023-05-03, 07:37

It has been a great run! Probably far longer than any expected. Many thanks, T, for hosting our crazy asses through thick and thin. I have very fond memories of our times and builds together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
... 709, who is the one consistent player who will be impacted the most.
There's rarely anyone on anymore so don't feel obligated to make any moves that you wouldn't otherwise make without me logging on now and then. All good things and all that.

I'd definitely like a copy of whatever worlds are available, when it comes time to finally turn out the lights.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-05-04, 10:25

Quote:
Guys, I hate to say it... but I think it is time for the party to be over.
🥲👏🫡

Quote:
It is hard to believe I have been hosting the Minecraft server for more than 12 years now.
That's… impossible! We left Bridgeport just, uhh, a couple years ago, right? Stop making me feel old.

Quote:
Thank you for the history lesson and trip down memory lane, and double plus thank you for diligently hosting our games for all these years!! This was an incredibly kind and generous gift, and I hope you know that your efforts are recognized and very well appreciated! Seriously, you're a champ, and these years of your generous support won't soon be forgotten.

Quote:
Of course, if Brad wants to move the game to the applenova.com server that would be awesome for 709, who is the one consistent player who will be impacted the most.
Unfortunately, I doubt* I will keep the server running in perpetuity on my applenova VM, but I would like to host some short-lived special events from time to time, if people are interested. I really enjoyed those new-world survival expeditions we used to do after major updates, and I loved that one survival game we did years ago with the gradually shrinking world barrier. I would totally be down to host some more events like that if we could get folks interested and committed to a calendar date from time to time.

* I haven't tried setting up MC again recently on the AN server. I do plan to try soon, but no promises.

Quote:
I'm avoiding giving a drop dead date for when I'm going to shutdown the VM. I think it would be worth it for those who are interested to be able to log in again to be able to do so before I shut it down. I'm also very open to making the world files available for download. Then you all can visit the old worlds all you want on your local machines.
I downloaded a world backup tarball a couple weeks ago when you mentioned your network troubles. When you're ready to stop the game for good, please let me/us know, and I'll jump back in to retrieve a few more backups, after which you're welcome to torch my SSH user. I can't say it enough, but thank you for sharing this hardware and trusting me to SSH into your network to manage bits and pieces of the game. It's a huge gamble to grant access to some rando on the internet that you've never actually met in person, and I'm still honored and flattered that you put that trust in me.

I know you have various other older backups on your network, too, which I plan to comb through before calling everything done, and I also have kept backups of each of our main worlds over the years. That includes Bridgeport, Sedona, Loch Green, TerraNova, Cactuar, two unnamed worlds, Tekkit, FTB, and of course the current Cashout Cove. The older backups need to be converted (maybe going through multiple steps) and need some minor tweaks to their "level.dat" files to make them fully playable in single-player mode. I won't try to convert the Tekkit and FTB backups since they require a pile of mods that may or may not even be available now. Once we shut down, I plan to process the last known backup for each of these worlds and put them all up in shared storage for anyone to download.

It's been an amazing ride, guys. Hopefully this isn't the very end, but in case we can't align calendars for future Minecraft meetups, I want to say thank you all again for the countless fun adventures and discoveries and creative monuments and memories! 💜

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-05-04, 17:14

SIGN ME UP for an event!!!!!!!!!! <3

I promise to try to set aside the time.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-05-05, 09:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Thank you for providing this for us all this time.

I faithfully follow Mindcrack and Hermitcraft and Empires players on YouTube, and dream of having time to become a famous YouTube Minecrafter.

I am sorry that we will be losing this common meeting place, but every chapter has an end.

If there IS a future server that will be wonderful.

As much as I want to play MC more and watch others on YouTube it just doesn't fit into my day much anymore. Heck, it hasn't for more than a few years if I'm being transparent. I still love the game, just things jump in front of it. My kids getting older and pulling me to play their games with them is just one example. It is helping me be a part of their lives. Though I will say I never got the Fortnite bug. I played it once and got the Victory Royal. I stopped there, not gonna get much better than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
It has been a great run! Probably far longer than any expected. Many thanks, T, for hosting our crazy asses through thick and thin. I have very fond memories of our times and builds together.

There's rarely anyone on anymore so don't feel obligated to make any moves that you wouldn't otherwise make without me logging on now and then. All good things and all that.

I'd definitely like a copy of whatever worlds are available, when it comes time to finally turn out the lights.
I really do have some very fond memories as well. Believe it or not, that is part of the major pull that kept me running the server. One day we might have a mass party playing again! It was just tons of fun playing together doing projects together or that were for the community and just just our own builds.

Of course, days of destruction were awesome too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
🥲👏🫡

That's… impossible! We left Bridgeport just, uhh, a couple years ago, right? Stop making me feel old.
I had to look at the start of this thread to recall how long it had been. It really is hard to believe it has been that long. I mean, of you quote my fist post in this thread I was still using "http" and not "https" on my images which is why they won't load now. Just a simple example of how much has changed since I started hosting the server.

Quote:
Thank you for the history lesson and trip down memory lane, and double plus thank you for diligently hosting our games for all these years!! This was an incredibly kind and generous gift, and I hope you know that your efforts are recognized and very well appreciated! Seriously, you're a champ, and these years of your generous support won't soon be forgotten.

Unfortunately, I doubt* I will keep the server running in perpetuity on my applenova VM, but I would like to host some short-lived special events from time to time, if people are interested. I really enjoyed those new-world survival expeditions we used to do after major updates, and I loved that one survival game we did years ago with the gradually shrinking world barrier. I would totally be down to host some more events like that if we could get folks interested and committed to a calendar date from time to time.

* I haven't tried setting up MC again recently on the AN server. I do plan to try soon, but no promises.
I have overall really enjoyed hosting the server. It forced me to learn so much about linux I never thought I would. My skills in scripting and troubleshooting issues in CentOS (linux in general) grew so much thanks to projects like running this. One patch update and it doesn't work! Now I have to figure out why... Oh, java v6 isn't supported anymore. I have to update Java... but which java? There are like 18 million types of JAVA!!!!

Quote:
I downloaded a world backup tarball a couple weeks ago when you mentioned your network troubles. When you're ready to stop the game for good, please let me/us know, and I'll jump back in to retrieve a few more backups, after which you're welcome to torch my SSH user. I can't say it enough, but thank you for sharing this hardware and trusting me to SSH into your network to manage bits and pieces of the game. It's a huge gamble to grant access to some rando on the internet that you've never actually met in person, and I'm still honored and flattered that you put that trust in me.

I know you have various other older backups on your network, too, which I plan to comb through before calling everything done, and I also have kept backups of each of our main worlds over the years. That includes Bridgeport, Sedona, Loch Green, TerraNova, Cactuar, two unnamed worlds, Tekkit, FTB, and of course the current Cashout Cove. The older backups need to be converted (maybe going through multiple steps) and need some minor tweaks to their "level.dat" files to make them fully playable in single-player mode. I won't try to convert the Tekkit and FTB backups since they require a pile of mods that may or may not even be available now. Once we shut down, I plan to process the last known backup for each of these worlds and put them all up in shared storage for anyone to download.

It's been an amazing ride, guys. Hopefully this isn't the very end, but in case we can't align calendars for future Minecraft meetups, I want to say thank you all again for the countless fun adventures and discoveries and creative monuments and memories! 💜
Last night I looked through my backups and it looks like I have a couple of copies of ALL the worlds I hosted. Even "cinco" or "world5" that we apparently never actually named. IIRC, that is the one that became the tekkit/FTB world.
Code:
minecraft@anmc7 [~/longstore]# ls -lah minecraft/backups/ total 100K drwxrwxr-x 9 1024 users 20K Oct 12 2020 . drwxr-xr-x 8 minecraft minecraft 4.0K May 12 2013 .. drwxrwxr-x 2 1024 users 4.0K Jul 14 2012 backup_bridgeport drwxrwxr-x 2 1024 users 4.0K Jul 14 2012 backup_cactuar drwxrwxr-x 2 1024 users 4.0K Jul 14 2012 backup_lochgreen drwxrwxr-x 2 1024 users 4.0K Jul 14 2012 backup_sedona drwxrwxr-x 2 1024 users 4.0K Feb 16 2013 backup_tekkit drwxrwxr-x 2 1024 users 4.0K Dec 9 2012 backup_world5 minecraft@anmc7 [~/longstore]# ls -lah minecraft/speedy/minecraft/worlds/ total 48K drwxrwxr-x 6 1024 users 4.0K Feb 8 2013 . drwxr-xr-x 4 1024 users 4.0K May 11 2013 .. drwxrwxr-x 5 1024 users 4.0K Jul 14 2012 cactuar drwxrwxr-x 5 1024 users 4.0K Aug 4 2012 cinco drwxrwxr-x 8 1024 users 4.0K Dec 19 2012 cinco_tekkit drwxrwxr-x 5 1024 users 4.0K Apr 23 2013 feedthebeast_direwolf20
I appreciate the "thank you" from you all. It does mean a lot and I don't want to brush it off. It is truly appreciated. It really has been a pleasure to host the server and the maps for them. It has just plain been a blast overall and I will miss doing it I'm sure once we shutdown the server for the last time.

I think us all doing a community fun day again would be a blast. Practically speaking though, I would be surprised to see how many actually show up. So many players have moved on and are doing other things now. If a date is set, I'm certainly willing to make playing it a priority though!

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2023-05-05, 10:02

Quote:
Of course, days of destruction were awesome too!
Was that the day of the Great Forest Fire in Bridgeport? I think 709 ended up installing a waterfall on one of the rail tracks to try and stop it destroying everything. (That was in the days that fire spread was much more acute!)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-05-05, 10:46

I really don't know. I don't think it was because it was with other images that were from blown up buildings and such in BP.

I do recall the never ending fire though. We added firebreaks to the skywalks after that too!

arteggio

2023-05-22, 12:22

Thank you, turtle, for your effort and devotion over the years.

The server might be 13+ years old though?!

The forum post go back to only 2011, but I'm pretty sure I remember playing in the late months of 2010 when I built my castle out west (which was then transplanted from the original world through to the current one).

This MC world is a goldmine of digital nostalgia, and it was really fun and meaningful for me to jump back into the world every so often. In the last decade+ I checked out only a few other servers, but never set up shop anywhere else but here.

Somehow, January and July became my annual times of returning to MC over the years! (Where I usually run into only 709. )

Looks like there may not be a next July, but this feels like a ripe time to close a chapter of our lives. Other personal events been invoking that same 2010 period in my life too, so it's all quite timely for me.

As for the MC map data, I'd love to get a copy of that. I'm a data hoarder so 144k more files don't faze me.

Brad, thanks for making the maps available when the time comes. There are so many creations I haven't checked out and I envision myself returning to our world every now and then in the future.

Occasional events do sound fun. A good way to jump in, have a blast, and then return to real life.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-05-22, 17:22

Yeah, I'm not sure how long the server lived on the AN forum VM. The "Server Details" thread was started December 2010. This thread was started just over three months later. It seems like we played longer than three months on the original AN server.

Then again, I feel like I've always hosted it though I know I didn't.

Heck, when the server first moved into my house I wasn't even an admin in the game. I had sudo on the server, but Brad was the only admin "OP" in the game server. I was like that for years before I finally upgraded to OP.

For the current map: Here you go!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-05-26, 20:32

Code:
minecraft@anmc7 [~]# sudo systemctl stop minecraft minecraft@anmc7 [~]# sudo systemctl status minecraft ● minecraft.service - Minecraft server Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/minecraft.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled) Active: inactive (dead) May 20 18:07:23 anmc7.dyndns.org systemd[1]: Starting Minecraft server... May 20 18:07:23 anmc7.dyndns.org minecraft_server.sh[927]: * Minecraft was not already running. Starting... May 20 18:07:23 anmc7.dyndns.org minecraft_server.sh[927]: * Using map named "world"... May 20 18:07:33 anmc7.dyndns.org minecraft_server.sh[927]: * Checking Minecraft is running... May 20 18:07:33 anmc7.dyndns.org systemd[1]: Started Minecraft server. May 26 21:16:26 anmc7.dyndns.org systemd[1]: Stopping Minecraft server... May 26 21:16:37 anmc7.dyndns.org systemd[1]: Stopped Minecraft server. Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full. minecraft@anmc7 [~]# exit