User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Logitech MX1000 laser mouse (warning large imgs)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Logitech MX1000 laser mouse (warning large imgs)
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-08-31, 12:34

This has been both slashdotted (of course) and put on MacNN, but I didn't see it here. It looks cool.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-08-31, 12:35

More images since it wouldn't let me put all of them in a single post:

Here is the page that was slashdotted. The guy who posted it at that forum has one and says a few things about it. Mainly, he says the tracking is excellent even on reflective surfaces (he tried it on a mirror), that it's a bit more ergonomic than the MX700, and that it is simply too fast for bluetooth. It uses 1 megabit of bandwidth for transmitting data. That's stretching bluetooth to its absolute limit, so you'll probably not see a BT version of this mouse.

Oh yeah, and it's expensive. $79, same as the MSRP for the MX700 until now. If you buy from a high volume reseller like NewEgg it'll probably cost $50-$65.

Last edited by Luca : 2004-08-31 at 12:40.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-08-31, 19:27

Jesus. . .I want that mouse!

Well a corded version that is.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-09-01, 00:39

What's wrong with a cordless? I have the MX700 and it's very nice. Better than a corded mouse - the charging station I put the mouse on every day makes sure the batteries never run out, and the tracking is excellent, not jerky like most cordless mice.

But I do believe the MX700 came out before the MX500. I'm almost certain there will be a corded version of this mouse, just give 'em a few weeks. Logitech hasn't even put this on their site yet.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-09-01, 03:04

For some reason I like corded mice and keyboards much better then any of their wireless cousins.

Donno why, but I do.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2004-09-01, 03:38

That looks pretty sweet indeed. I've always liked Logitech stuff.
ZO

2004-09-01, 14:33

i always take wired mice. I dont want evesdroppers to know where my pointer is

but seriously: I'm skeptical about wireless mice and gaming. I do FPS gaming and need to be damn sure nothing jumps or lags or whatnot. I honestly have never tried wireless, but, it just doesnt SEEM right

If them Logitech peope come out with a wired version of this thang, its as good as mine

I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-09-01, 19:08

Let me guess, ZO, you've never used an MX700.

It NEVER skips...EVER. It's the most accurate, high DPI mouse I've ever used short of a Boomslang. It's more accurate than ANY corded mouse I've ever owned. Plus, it's HEAVIER than corded mice so it feels much more solid and won't accidentally 'twitch' the cursor in your precious FPS.

I have no problems using an MX700 with Counter-Strike.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-09-01, 20:04

Now that is a nice mouse - ditto what FFL said ... I'm also a fan of Logitech stuff.

(I particularly like that sleek diNovo keyboard and mouse combo link - but I don't think it works for OS X. Also, it is Au$499. )

All I want is a simple life
twitter
ZO

2004-09-02, 04:05

you're right Eug, I havent. I also havent had the opportunity to do so. I guess I may finally take the plunge.

I'm still paranoid about people intercepting my mouse movements though...

I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2004-09-02, 05:24

i currently use a kensington trackball because my desk is pretty tight and it doesnt give me wrist problems. but i am getting a larger desk and this logitech looks pretty hot. i never liked logitech mice but this is gorgeous. but its not cheap.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-09-02, 21:07

I use a cheapo Logitech wireless. No problems.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2004-09-03, 23:32

Wow, that is one sweet ass mouse; too bad I just bought my second mx700 a while back after my first one crapped out on me. Definately like the new layout of the buttons and the overall look of the mouse. Longer battery and being more precise is always a plus and not having the power cord part of the usb cord is also good news. Logitech has definately raised the bar again with this one. Now, I just have to see this thing in person and play around with it. Who knows, maybe a family member might be getting a mx 700 for a christmas present this year.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2004-09-04, 06:46

I think cordless is great for laptop users. However, I try not to add to the electromagnetic soup. The Apple mouse is perfect, your hands should be on the keyboard anyway, all that neat stuff like multiple buttons and scrolling is right there.

If you're looking for a control surface with more precision, you ought to be using a tablet or a shuttle pro. The 1 button mouse is hard to beat for navigation.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-09-04, 14:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu
I think cordless is great for laptop users. However, I try not to add to the electromagnetic soup. The Apple mouse is perfect, your hands should be on the keyboard anyway, all that neat stuff like multiple buttons and scrolling is right there.

If you're looking for a control surface with more precision, you ought to be using a tablet or a shuttle pro. The 1 button mouse is hard to beat for navigation.
Using your logic, why have a mouse at all? The keyboard can do it all!

Let's examine this further...

I'd be willing to bet that the average computer user spends the majority of the time with a mouse in one hand, be it for web browsing, navigating the filesystem, games, graphics, etc.

My hand has several fingers. Two fingers rest on the top surface of the mouse. Why should these two fingers be stuck with one button? I use my index finger to scroll and my middle finger to right-click.

Scrolling is a form of navigation and it follows or precedes other forms of navigation. One clicks on a website then scrolls as he reads or searches for another link to click...

Contextual menus are inescapable with modern computer interfaces. Why are you going to force someone to chord both hands when one finger can do the job?

A two-button mouse plus clickable scroll-wheel is probably the sweet spot.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-09-04, 15:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene
A two-button mouse plus clickable scroll-wheel is probably the sweet spot.
That's how I see it too. . . I love the middle-button-clickable-scrollwheel idea. . .

and I get so pissed when I go to click the scrollwheel on someone else's computer and it does not 'click'.

Anymore buttons seems to be far to much. .. Unless you use a program that can make good use of the extra buttons (like maya or maybe some video editing software) then they seem to just get in my way.

Now the only thing that needs to be put to death. . . is the whole PS/2 thing. . .I mean, God, USB is starting to show it's age and we on the x86 side of things are still using PS/2. . . Move on with the times goddamit. .. (well, if PS/2 was hot-plugable the I would not care as much.)

sigh. ...

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
Wrao
Yarp

2004-09-05, 17:56

I'm in the market for a new mouse, but I don't think I want to spend so much money on one.

but coincidentally, I was on logitechs webpage the day before this post and read about the laser mouse and thought "took them long enough, we ARE in the 21st century, let's act like it...sheesh"
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-09-05, 18:23

I used to think more three or so buttons on a mouse would be too much. When Exposé came 'round and I picked up a Logitech MX310, this is how I have it configured. The MX310 has a button behind the scroll wheel, the scroll wheel, is clickable, left and right buttons, and then two more buttons on the left and right sides of the mouse.

This mouse also cost me $25 new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mx310config.jpg (33.2 KB, 95 views)

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-09-05, 18:38

The MX310 is indeed a nice mouse. It's a bit flatter than most mice too, so you can use the ergonomically-approved "grasp with your fingertips" method instead of the more common "rest your whole hand on the mouse" way of holding it. I grasp my MX700 with my fingertips, but it's not as easy with a big, heavy, tall mouse.

The MX700 essentially has two more buttons than the MX310, so I also have a browser forward/back function configured for the two extras. Very nice that you can elegantly use all eight buttons on my mouse, even though many would argue that it has way too many buttons.

A friend of mine has a mouse with dual scroll wheels. Now THAT I don't understand.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-09-05, 18:39

Not bad, Personally, I really like the thumb button, not so much for general use, but for gaming. I don't game often, but when I do, it's a nice thing to have.

I think I might have to get a 310, looks good.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-09-05, 18:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
A friend of mine has a mouse with dual scroll wheels. Now THAT I don't understand.
One to scroll up, and one to scroll down...duh

Disko

2004-09-12, 20:29

I've ordered mine. Should be here soon.
LAmezq3984

2005-10-21, 14:38

I know this is an old thread, but I figure most of you guys have picked one up by now as have I. I've been using my MX 1000 for about 3 months now, and it is absolutely awesome, however, I recently started doing some maya work and if you have ever used Maya, you know that by apple clicking and using the mouse buttons, it allows you to move around your object. This is a very important control feature of Maya, and I am having problems with it. I can rotate with the left, zoom with the right, but the wheel click does not respond to the move function, and instead rotates. I have tried the Logitech control center, but can't seem to find anything regarding that, and the keyboard and mouse settings in OS X don't resolve this issue either. Anyone out there have any knowledge on this subject? I've had to hook up my old Kensington pocket mouse to work in Maya, and its so small after using the MX 1000, I've been getting cramps in my hand. Thanks in advance!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-10-21, 15:20

By default, Logitech's drivers assign the wheel button to Button 3, or "middle click." You can change it to command-click in the Logitech preferences by telling it to do an "advanced click."
LAmezq3984

2005-10-21, 21:41

Thanks Luca, that did the trick!
AWR
Veteran Member

2005-10-22, 08:09

I use the MX1000 and has been great. Comfortable, quick like it's connected by cable and it keeps its charge forevah. Got it about 4 months ago as I transitioned to my first Mac. Cost about USD 62, which by the sounds of it is a decent deal.

Edit. OM, now I see how old the thread is. I've always like to be behind the curve.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-10-22, 11:50

Yes, I still think the MX1000 is the best mouse you can buy for the Mac. Logitech has come out with some new ones since it came out but I dont really like the layout of the buttons on them.

With a new layout and new dirvers being the only new stuff about these mice, I think the MX1000 will remain top dog for a while to come.