User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

can the new mini mac support tiger?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
can the new mini mac support tiger?
macnewbie

2005-01-12, 05:33

New to the apple world, was really impressed with the Tiger OS and the Mini Mac. Was wondering if the new Mini can be upgraded to the Tiger OS when it comes out and take full advantage of all the goodies (i.e. can the hardware handle it well?)
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-12, 05:47

yes, the mac mini will run tiger just fine provided you upgrade the ram...

there will be SOME missing eyecandy, but in terms of performance, there will be NO problem...

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
macnewbie

2005-01-12, 05:55

thanks...now I can finally go to sleep!
Wraven

2005-01-12, 08:39

Paul,
Thanks for writing an ENLIGHTENED answer. I was nervous that some people were getting the impression from a few minutia-focusing posts that Tiger would not run well on this new mac mini, which is of course not the case. The *ONLY* real hit will be a few pieces of eye candy, as you pointed out, AND the mac mini (as with other Macs) will probably run FASTER once Tiger is installed on it. I am considering purchasing a mac mini to get my feet wet in the Mac world and delay the large sticker-shock purchase of a G5 system a couple of years. I figure after a year or two I will give the mini to the wife and upgrade to a new mini or a full-blown Mac.

Thanks again for the rational post.

Cheers,
Wraven

Last edited by Wraven : 2005-01-12 at 08:54.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-12, 08:45

Methinks Apple needs to slap a big "YES, IT WILL RUN TIGER, JUST LIKE NEARLY ANY OTHER MAC MADE IN THE PAST FOUR YEARS" graphic on the Mac mini pages.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Wraven

2005-01-12, 08:58

Brad,
Good call - and they also need to slap a big "IT CAN ALSO SYNC PLAYLISTS AND INDIVIDUAL SONGS" sticker on the iPod Shuffle as some idiots in the media are focusing JUST on the shuffle part. I was listening to the radio this morning and some idiot DJ who claims he is a Mac enthusiast was saying the iPod shuffle plays songs in random, and he thinks it is a stupid gimic. That is just ONE feature obviously, and he did not know about (or ignored) the rest of the features. Although, I think Apple FOCUSING on the shuffle feature might confuse some simple-minded journalists and consumers into thinking that is the ONLY way it plays music. Oh well, time will tell...

Cheers,
Wraven
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-01-12, 09:00

But will it run Motion???!!!?!!

And how good will Core Image be!??!

Zodiac
Shiny, Musky, Fleshy Member

2005-01-12, 09:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Methinks Apple needs to slap a big "YES, IT WILL RUN TIGER, JUST LIKE NEARLY ANY OTHER MAC MADE IN THE PAST FOUR YEARS" graphic on the Mac mini pages.

What kind of eye candy does it hold you from? I don't really care about eye candy. But I'm still curious.
Wraven

2005-01-12, 09:01

scratt,
That is exactly what I am talking about (obviously).
Wraven

2005-01-12, 09:03

zodiac,
Apparently some ripple effect in Tiger and a couple other meaningless things. Point is if you like all the eye candy in Panther, this machine will do all that. So if you are on the fence about purchasing one, go ahead and pull the trigger. I am getting one in March.

Cheers,
Wraven
scratt
Veteran Member

2005-01-12, 09:15

Yes, absolutely. I agree with Wraven.
In fact we are considering retiring my Wife's iBook (G3 600Mhz) and getting her one of these and a big third party screen... I have loads of spare mice and keyboards from Apple as I have gone Bluetooth everywhere!!

If you look at the raw specs (ignore the video card) then the machine is not far off my RevA 17" G4 Powerbook!

And that won't run Motion either..

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Zodiac
Shiny, Musky, Fleshy Member

2005-01-12, 10:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraven
zodiac,
Apparently some ripple effect in Tiger and a couple other meaningless things. Point is if you like all the eye candy in Panther, this machine will do all that. So if you are on the fence about purchasing one, go ahead and pull the trigger. I am getting one in March.
Yup! I'm giving this guy 60 bucks and a eMac. He buys my mac mini(1.42GHz+512mb ram) and a cheapy screen.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-12, 11:43

Heh, actually the video card is about as powerful as the rev. A 17" as well. GeForce 440 vs. Radeon 9200 is pretty much the same, although I'm pretty sure the 17" had 64 MB of VRAM.

Ah well, yes, any current Mac will run Tiger great. It's just that the Radeon 9200-equipped ones will not be able to handle pixel shader based effects, because the Radeon 9200 can't do pixel shaders. Saying your Mac "won't support Tiger" if you don't have a pixel shader capable video card is like saying your car won't run if you don't put premium gas in it.
scratt
Veteran Member

2005-01-12, 11:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Heh, actually the video card is about as powerful as the rev. A 17" as well. GeForce 440 vs. Radeon 9200 is pretty much the same, although I'm pretty sure the 17" had 64 MB of VRAM..
Bitch!
stoo

2005-01-13, 08:51

Quote:
Ah well, yes, any current Mac will run Tiger great. It's just that the Radeon 9200-equipped ones will not be able to handle pixel shader based effects, because the Radeon 9200 can't do pixel shaders.
The Radeon 9200 does do pixel shaders (v1.x), but not version 2, which is required for full CoreImage acceleration.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2005-01-13, 12:26

On a similar note to this thread, I want to buy a PowerBook, and since it is now obvious that the G5 won't be inside it for a while, I'm wondering how Tiger will run. Actually, I do a lot of scientific image processing, and was hoping to take advantage of CoreImage, which sounds really good for that. Does anyone know if CoreImage will work on the current PowerBooks? I realize that getting a PowerMac would make more sense, but I need the notebook right now for giving presentations.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-13, 13:11

Yes, all the current PowerBooks have 100% CoreImage support. The only Macs that don't are the eMac, iBook and mini.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-01-15, 15:28

Update: The hardware requirements for CoreImage have disappeared from the Apple website. Public and developer. Possible they're getting revamped to include the mini et al? This happened with Quartz Extreme too, where older hardware was added late in the dev cycle.

Makes sense from an engineering standpoint: get it working first, then get it working fast. It's easier to get it working at all on uberfast hardware, then you optimize the crap out of it for older hardware.

So... hope that the mini will support CI. I think it just might. Maybe. Possibly.

Oh, who the heck knows?
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-01-15, 15:37

i just think they took it off, so peopel wouldn't confuse that with Tiger.

I can tell you right now 95% of PC users don't even know what ripple effect is outside of gaming...

But I'm sure all those watching the keynote had wet pants.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-15, 15:40

But the problem is, how are they going to rework CI so it runs on Pixel Shader 1.x video cards? Wouldn't that involve pretty much a rewrite of it? From what I understand, CI is going to need PS2.0 in order to work properly. It's one thing to reduce the requirements to 32 MB of VRAM from 64 MB, but I would think it would be very difficult to change how CI works enough so it will run on the Radeon 9200.

Good news is that if they are indeed reworking it so it runs on the 9200, it might also run on other PS1.x capable video cards, like the GeForce 4 Titanium, Radeon 8500, and so on.
stoo

2005-01-15, 18:57

I imagine that CoreImage works quite well on Altivec, with as much as possible offloaded to the GPU. This will vary depending on the GPU (with full acceleration coming form Pixel Shader 2.0 cards). From what I understand the Radeon 8500, 9000, 9100 and 92000 all have (roughly) the same core, and support Pixel Shader 1.4.

(PS: the fastest video card made from the 8500 is probably still the 8500. )
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-01-16, 00:38

Till Tiger is out, no one but Jobs knoiws how well Tiger works...
Cingular Geek

2005-01-17, 16:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad

I agree!
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-01-17, 16:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstarrising
Till Tiger is out, no one but Jobs knoiws how well Tiger works...
Tiger is going to be very, very, very good indeed .......