User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iCloud
Page 2 of 8 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-06-07, 09:42

Forgive a stupid question (but I don't see it blatantly stated anywhere, and none of the demos online or in yesterday's keynote seemed to provide an answer)...using this iCloud, I assume the Photo Stream thing will work from Mac-to-Mac, correct? It's not just an iOS + Mac thing, is it? If someone has two Macs, imports their photos into iPhoto on, say, the iMac...they'll appear automatically over on the MacBook too? I understand it's just the most recent 1,000...but they could take those pics from the Photo Stream section of the MacBook's iPhoto and place them into permanent albums?

That's still going to save double-importing, etc.

What about enhancements/tweaking?

A "real life" type of scenario:

- My mom gets home from a ballgame, with 22 photos. Earlier in the day, she'd met some relatives for lunch and took 12 photos.

- She connects her camera to her iMac, the photos import into iPhoto (as usual), automatically divided into two separate events (22 ball game pics, 12 lunch pics)

- She goes into each event to do the magic wand one-click "enhance", maybe a little red-eyd reduction, cropping, etc. to most/all of the photos (again, as she usually does after importing new photos).

- Is it those good, corrected versions that ultimately get mirrored/synced/clouded to her MacBook? Or just the raw originals she first imported? In other words, is she still going to have to sit down at the MacBook and perform the same enhancements, red-eye, cropping, etc.?

That's what we're trying to avoid...the double-work/redundancy she's doing now.

She has no iOS devices, so, in her specific situation, it's Mac-to-Mac.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2011-06-07 at 11:21.
Noel

2011-06-07, 09:53

It sounded like it's for any device that's been activated with a given Apple ID, so Mac-to-Mac should work just fine.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-06-07, 10:05

Yeah, that's my assumption. Was just hoping to see it confirmed, 100%, before I started talking it up to Mom (and others I know in similar situations). Didn't want to sell them on it, and get them all hyped and excited about what's coming this fall, and then learn that there's an iOS-required component.

In fact, the demos and keynote all talk about "when you get a new phone..." or whatever, and shows the service being turned on/configured on an iPhone.

Mom has no iOS devices (she needs an iPad instead of her bulky, overkill MacBook that she only uses to surf, but that's another battle ), so is this stuff going to be able to work in a Mac-only environment? I assume there will be a System Preference in Lion (or at least added by an update this fall) that turns the cloud thing on from the Mac?

I've just been under the impression, for the past 20-ish hours, that there was a mandatory iOS-based component to all this (simply based on the demos and videos I've seen so far).

If any of you are at WWDC and reading this, do me a favor and ask one of the Apple engineers/employees present about this.

I'm gonna be severely disappointed with the whole damn thing if I learn that there must be an iOS device of some sort to trigger/initiate all this stuff (and that people in a 2-3 Mac household, with no iOS devices, aren't able to participate). Kinda negates/misses the whole point, IMO, if that turns out to be the case.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-06-07, 11:08

Good question Paul, but I have to assume that iOS only is not going to be the case.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-06-07, 14:43

MobileMe treats Mac-to-Mac like any other two Apple devices, so that should work just fine.
ironlung

2011-06-07, 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonn89 View Post
How do you figure that 5 GB of storage, for free, that only applies to documents, app data (but not apps themselves), calendars, contacts, and email storage is pathetic? Dropbox only gives you 2 GB for free (although you can absolutely get more space for free, but not 3 GB worth), and Dropbox counts stored photos, music, and apps against your total.
I have 10.75 GB worth of free dropbox space. I used to have only 5 GB, but then they doubled my free space just because they're awesome and because I've had dropbox since almost since they started.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-06-07, 17:42

This harkens back to my olde college days when I had 50 MB of space on a server that I used as my swing space for work around campus. The problem is, then as now, it required a connection to the internet. While most people probably don't suffer the calamities of internet connection that I do: having Clear Wireless is possibly the most painful consumer experience I have ever had, it makes me realize that this fragile link of servers is just that... fragile.

Unessential files will be tossed into the Ether (honestly, a better word than cloud), but I cannot see myself depending upon it as a productivity tool, I just don't trust it enough to do so...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-06-08, 10:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post

Mom has no iOS devices (she needs an iPad instead of her bulky, overkill MacBook that she only uses to surf, but that's another battle ), so is this stuff going to be able to work in a Mac-only environment? I assume there will be a System Preference in Lion (or at least added by an update this fall) that turns the cloud thing on from the Mac?

I watched they keynote last night and my take from it was it will work from one computer to the other just fine. All the demos show iOS to iOS with it being pushed to the Mac but that's because Apple is "Post-PC" and not pushing that. The PC was "demoted" to the same level as an iOS device. So what if you only use iOS, so what if you only use Mac/PC, iCloud is where it's at.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2011-06-08 at 10:55.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-06-08, 10:50

Good to know. Cool.
zippy
Veteran Member

2011-06-09, 00:19

I was thinking/hoping that the folks who write 1Password will be some of the first to utilize the new iCloud APIs. That will allow me to drop my dropbox account. But more importantly, I think it will make it easier to convince friends and family to implement a web-syncing 1Password solution. Many of them just aren't willing to trust a lesser-known company like dropbox with something as sensitive as all their passwords.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2011-06-09, 03:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I watched they keynote last night and my take from it was it will work from one computer to the other just fine. All the demos show iOS to iOS with it being pushed to the Mac but that's because Apple is "Post-PC" and not pushing that. The PC was "demoted" to the same level as an iOS device. So what if you only use iOS, so what if you only use Mac/PC, iCloud is where it's at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Good to know. Cool.
I've not seen anywhere that Lion is specifically required for iCloud use, but I'm assuming that it will be. If so, no cloud for my Mac mini.
Nogs

2011-06-09, 09:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
I was thinking/hoping that the folks who write 1Password will be some of the first to utilize the new iCloud APIs.
The problem is that they now support 1Password on the PC so would require iCloud API's on windows to be able to support it for all users.
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2011-06-13, 13:17

Bad news for MobileMe customers who use the more "advanced" features of the service.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/12/...ud-transition/

OK iWeb may not be hugely advanced but for people like me, who have linked domain name to my MobileMe space and use it to host a website, it is a pain in the arse to move your website across! Especially since a lot of the comment features don't work on anything but MobileMe servers.

I can't help but this that Apple is screwing over its MobileMe customers, who have stuck with it for years, just because Apple wants to bury the MobileMe name and experience. Oh well maybe its time to move to Wordpress and Flickr... Yuck!
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2011-06-13, 13:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogs View Post
The problem is that they now support 1Password on the PC so would require iCloud API's on windows to be able to support it for all users.
They currently support both a Wi-Fi sync option and Dropbox. I expect they'll add iCloud, but keep Dropbox too.
zippy
Veteran Member

2011-06-13, 14:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogs View Post
Per Steve Jobs, iCloud will be available for Windows users, so there has to be some kind of APIs for Windows, right? The question then, is are these available for the developers? I don't know the answer to that.

But like screensaver400 mentioned, they still have dropbox, so maybe the Windows users just don't get to take advantage of iCloud syncing for things like this.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2011-06-15, 05:24

I think the biggest hidden benefit of the iCloud is that it allows you to own more devices than you would otherwise bother to own, because the simplicity of the data management makes it effortless. There's no more saying, "Well, I don't want an iPad to manage along with my iPhone. I have a hard enough time keeping the phone up-to-date, let alone a whole different device that needs its own care."

Once iCloud launches, owning all of these devices is fine and can even make sense because then you don't have to compromise for the sake of data management. Rather than just settle with an iPhone to use as your "away from the desk" internet device, use the iPad; it's updated and has everything on it your iPhone does, plus the larger screen.

I'm sure Apple's bottom line will benefit too.

Also, I completely believe the report about the 50% of iPhone users not syncing their phones once activated. iCloud will automatically deliver a better user experience to users who don't have a clue. This is great. My mom has a Verizon iPhone and iCloud is the perfect solution for her. Honestly, for most people since our lives are all so busy, we shouldn't need to be managing all of this stuff and again, this is the place where Apple shines above all others. One article out there spoke of how Apple is so in touch with how people really live and relate to technology, more than any other company, and iCloud may be the best example in recent years of this.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration

Last edited by Messiahtosh : 2011-06-15 at 07:34.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-06-15, 07:43

I can believe the "50% of iPhone owners not backing up" report.

I've had more than a few friends do one of those Facebook events "LOST CONTACTS!!" and they owned an iPhone. If they just backed up every once in a while, they'd have them all backed up into Address Book.

Since I've had MobileMe, I only dock my iPhone to update my music, and with iCloud, I won't even have to do that anymore. This is going to be awesome.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-06-15, 08:43

Yeah it's easy to believe. I only sync my phone to unload pictures cause it's getting full...

Last edited by dmegatool : 2011-06-15 at 14:25.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-06-15, 09:02

I dock it anytime it want to charge it and keep it close by, unload new pics or video or sync music. Most of the charging is nighttime from the charger on my nightstand. Having MobileMe, my contacts, emails, bookmarks and calendar stuff all stays nicely synced OTA between my iMac and iPhone. I never even think about it, and it'll be nice to continue that without the $99/year cost.

I'm assuming bookmarks will still be synced, right?
joveblue
Veteran Member

2011-06-16, 04:57

I think that's the thing about iCloud over Apple's previous cloud attempts. With MobileMe and it's predecessors, you had to not only pay to use it, but put conscious effort into doing so. With iCloud, once it's activated you'll start using it without even noticing you're using it, because it does all the work for you. This is going to be a huge hit by stealth.

For me, there's no "will this be a big hit with the punters?" aspect to it, like there was with MobileMe. It just will be because people will keep doing what they're doing and it'll just do it's thing.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-06-16, 11:36

God damn I love Apple's attention to detail.

(source)
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2011-06-16, 12:15

Who the hell discovered that?!?
Dutch Pear

2011-06-16, 15:46

Yeah, just saw Gruber link to that. I think this perfectly exemplifies all the little things that came together to make apple the succes story it became in the last decade.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2011-06-17, 03:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotcatbug View Post
Who the hell discovered that?!?
This.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2011-06-17, 09:42

What's interesting (besides the question of how somebody discovers something like this) is that that little cloud icon really does seem "just right". The cloud's not too tall or too wide and the "puffs" that make up the cloud aren't too small or too big. It's like the perfect version of such an icon.

Which makes me think, is that simply because of those ratios? Or, at least, how much did using those ratios make that icon so nice. Or is it just that some crazy Apple designer wanted to put an Easter egg into their icon.

Ugh.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-06-17, 10:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotcatbug View Post
Which makes me think, is that simply because of those ratios?
Mostly. Humans find the golden ratio to be aesthetically pleasing, and it shows up everywhere in nature.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2011-06-17 at 11:43.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2011-06-17, 16:32

This holds true cross culturally as well. My thesis investigated aesthetic perceptions and the golden ratio was a key identifier from both sample groups.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2011-06-22, 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh View Post
I think the biggest hidden benefit of the iCloud is that it allows you to own more devices than you would otherwise bother to own, because the simplicity of the data management makes it effortless. There's no more saying, "Well, I don't want an iPad to manage along with my iPhone. I have a hard enough time keeping the phone up-to-date, let alone a whole different device that needs its own care."
Right on, Messiahtosh!

Even though I own several iMacs, PowerBooks, a MacBook Air, iPad, iPhone, and many iPods, keeping all my data synchronized is still an imprecise hassle. If iCloud can indeed remove the hassle of picking up a different device on a given day, I am likely to buy even more Apple hardware! That makes me happy -- both as a consumer/end-user and as a shareholder!

Apple hardware should be like a pair of shoes or a shirt. The transition from one day to the next should be completely seamless -- whether you're going to the beach in shorts and flip-flops or dressing up in a formal suit and tie for a meeting with uptight clients.

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
arteggio

2011-08-01, 20:10

Upgrade prices revealed (along with pictures):

an extra…
10GB: $20/year
20GB: $40/year
50GB: $100/year

For comparison, DropBox offers only a 50GB upgrade for $99/year. Me, I would like just a few more GB without resorting to friend-invite links. If Apple does their integration thing right, DropBox might be dead...

Or they'll lose me, anyway. The 10GB option is just up my alley, and iCloud's going to replace most of DropBox's mobile feature set (cloud library synchronization) as it is. I can't wait.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2011-08-01, 22:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
Upgrade prices revealed (along with pictures):

an extra…
10GB: $20/year
20GB: $40/year
50GB: $100/year

For comparison, DropBox offers only a 50GB upgrade for $99/year. Me, I would like just a few more GB without resorting to friend-invite links. If Apple does their integration thing right, DropBox might be dead...

Or they'll lose me, anyway. The 10GB option is just up my alley, and iCloud's going to replace most of DropBox's mobile feature set (cloud library synchronization) as it is. I can't wait.
The pricing is reasonable IMO. I've already read a bunch of "Google offers 200GB for $x" which means that either these people didn't watch the keynote or didn't grasp Jobs' comment that iCloud was not designed to be a "Hard Drive in the sky". iCloud provides metadata storage and conflict resolution for syncing and probably a bunch of other stuff that I don't know about but clearly it's more ambitious than simply providing a bunch of storage.

What sizing i'm going to need is going to be based on whether or not iDisk functionality is replicated. I've seen or read nothing that states whether iCloud will have the ability to just drag and drop files the storage. We will see.

omgwtfbbq