iCloud to get banned in Germany
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-11-18, 23:11

Wow that would suck. Going on trial over Motorolla patents... Sorry Chucker

http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/gizmodo/v...se-of-motorola
EmC

2011-11-28, 20:34

All of this patent crap has got to stop. "A method for syncing" Are you kidding me? People have been doing this for years by hand, copying one set of contacts and dates from one datebook into another. Just because it has been implemented in software shouldn't make it something to be patented. As long as one software company did not copy code from the other, different implementations of the same features should be allowed. This is a crazy waste of resources and time. Instead of making their product better so that people will choose it, they are forcing people who want that feature to only use their product.

What is moto currently selling that uses this patent anyway?

What Adobe Updater‽ What‽ What‽ WHAT‽
Dave
Ninja Editor

2011-11-28, 23:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmC View Post
All of this patent crap has got to stop. "A method for syncing" Are you kidding me? People have been doing this for years by hand, copying one set of contacts and dates from one datebook into another. Just because it has been implemented in software shouldn't make it something to be patented. As long as one software company did not copy code from the other, different implementations of the same features should be allowed. This is a crazy waste of resources and time. Instead of making their product better so that people will choose it, they are forcing people who want that feature to only use their product.

What is moto currently selling that uses this patent anyway?
That right there is half of the "no software patents" argument.

The other half is that either by law or by long-standing precedent (I forget which) you can't patent math, and all software boils down to math on 1s and 0s.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2011-12-10, 07:18

Well I just read on BBC news, that "A German court has ruled in Motorola Mobility's favour in a patents dispute with Apple." But this is preliminary ruling from a regional court.

Further:
Quote:
Motorola could now try to force Apple to remove the feature from its devices or halt sales in Germany. However, Apple said it intended to appeal.

"In Germany you get a first ruling by a regional court rather quickly - this litigation started in April this year. Usually between companies of this stature the disputes go to the higher regional court and that could take a couple of years,"
I am just wondering, when did so many infringement of every crap began? I feel like it suddenly started with the introduction of iPhone.

Also, can someone please explain to me in lamest terms what this means

Quote:
The case relates to Motorola's patent for a "method for performing a countdown function during a mobile-originated transfer for a packet radio system".
And here is the next fun fact:

Quote:
Although the targets of Apple's lawsuits are often firms which use Google's Android software, the two firms have avoided suing each other. That is set to change when Google's takeover of Motorola Mobility is completed early next year.
At the end I feel like we are at the receiving end of all this sh**t
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2011-12-21, 08:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
That right there is half of the "no software patents" argument.

The other half is that either by law or by long-standing precedent (I forget which) you can't patent math, and all software boils down to math on 1s and 0s.
Can't patent math? Ha… that was the argument the US Supreme court made before '74 I believe. Somehow we decided that patenting math was right. Software patents are really a moral gray area. Considering patents are supposed to increase the willingness to make technological strides, I think they last too long and become anticompetitive.More so when it comes to pharmaceuticals IMO, no wonder government expenditure on healthcare per capita in the US is worse than more socialized countries with greater aging population and higher taxes.

Retired 8 years ahead of schedule.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-12-21, 09:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I've always found that argument a little strange. Software boils down to binary much like novels boil down to As and Zs; they're much, much more than the sum of their parts.

I don't support software patents at all, but I don't find this to be a valid argument.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-12-21, 10:21

Oh yeah, it's totally not 1s and 0s.

You're not touching the math, you're touching the virtualization of a "built thing" that can only be built with the "magic" of software. Each app is a "machine" that you control with buttons and levers and things that "do" things when you push, prod and swipe them.

It's the manner in which these things operate which is in question.

If I push button "A" it will make rotating plate "B" drop down to show me data element "C".

I agree that this is arguably something you might patent.

Apple is fighting for its life to never repeat the mistake of allowing another company to steal its interface and gain control of the market. They've been down that road and they realize the stakes.

Consumer bitching be damned - if it's patentable, goddamned patent the bitch and charge a fee if your competition can't arrive at a similar solution.

Yes, this is a Karmically dangerous path to take but the alternative has already been experienced back in the late 80s.

I'm still trying to remember who came up with the "pull down to refresh" interface on the iPhone first. I think it was the Tweetie app wasn't it? If they aren't already charging a licensing fee, those guys should be suing the shit out of Facebook and a bunch of other devs for glomming onto that particular way of refreshing a page of data.

It's unique and a great solution. Their interface should be acknowledged and they should in some way be rewarded for the innovation.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2011-12-21, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Oh yeah, it's totally not 1s and 0s.

You're not touching the math, you're touching the virtualization of a "built thing" that can only be built with the "magic" of software. Each app is a "machine" that you control with buttons and levers and things that "do" things when you push, prod and swipe them.

It's the manner in which these things operate which is in question.

If I push button "A" it will make rotating plate "B" drop down to show me data element "C".

I agree that this is arguably something you might patent.

Apple is fighting for its life to never repeat the mistake of allowing another company to steal its interface and gain control of the market. They've been down that road and they realize the stakes.

Consumer bitching be damned - if it's patentable, goddamned patent the bitch and charge a fee if your competition can't arrive at a similar solution.

Yes, this is a Karmically dangerous path to take but the alternative has already been experienced back in the late 80s.

I'm still trying to remember who came up with the "pull down to refresh" interface on the iPhone first. I think it was the Tweetie app wasn't it? If they aren't already charging a licensing fee, those guys should be suing the shit out of Facebook and a bunch of other devs for glomming onto that particular way of refreshing a page of data.

It's unique and a great solution. Their interface should be acknowledged and they should in some way be rewarded for the innovation.

I was reading that even if the HTC lawsuit was a minor victory, that once you accumulate patent victories around the world, baby steps, it's likely to cause android serious functionality issues,

Retired 8 years ahead of schedule.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-12-21, 10:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I'm still trying to remember who came up with the "pull down to refresh" interface on the iPhone first. I think it was the Tweetie app wasn't it?
Yup.