AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Merry Christmas/Holidays/Whatever.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Merry Christmas/Holidays/Whatever.
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2011-12-24, 11:12

Hopefully the title of this thread will stop anybody being offended.

I wish all fellow Novians. A Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Geri.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-12-24, 11:39

Merry Christmas to all!

Who cares about offense. Only those who want to be offended for the sake of being offended will be offended.

Happy New Year to you all as well!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-12-24, 11:52

A very Merry Whatever to you too, geri.

Everyone should be sure to check out all the things we built for our all-denominational holidaypalooza in this thread!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2011-12-24, 13:53

Indeed, merry christmas to all.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2011-12-24, 14:02

Glædelig jul, fellow novians!
tomoe
Veteran Member

2011-12-24, 14:13

¡Feliz Navidad!

Christmas came a bit early for me...went over to feed my friend's cat and she left me a bottle of Jameson and some toffee she made.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-12-24, 14:47

Holiday comix!

<3

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
tomoe
Veteran Member

2011-12-24, 14:50

ELVES! Starring Grizzly Adams.
Foj
Veteran Member

2011-12-24, 14:55

Santa and reindeer singing White Christmas
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2011-12-24, 17:44

As a big Christmas fan, I wish everyone here a Merry Christmas!!!!

Obviously I hope you all get all the Apple gear you deserve
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-12-24, 19:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
(Penny Arcade)
That's not bad, but you missed out on some of the best Penny Arcade holiday strips!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-12-24, 19:14

I deliberately didn't post those two.

But since you opened up that can of worms, here's one more, for everyone's holiday pleasure:

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-12-24, 20:13

Leave it to you guys to do what ever you can to oppose Christmas. Good work guys, you didn't let me down.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-12-24, 20:44

sigh
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-12-24, 20:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Leave it to you guys to do what ever you can to oppose Christmas. Good work guys, you didn't let me down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Who cares about offense. Only those who want to be offended for the sake of being offended will be offended.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-12-24, 21:03

well played. 1M points to robo
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-12-24, 22:21

Santa's almost here: http://www.noradsanta.org/

(Don't worry, my kids know he's me. )
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-12-24, 23:15

Merry Christmas, I got you all a bit of Salvation for Christmas.
I'm keeping it wrapped up until you need it!!

Pscates, you got a rock, too. Just so you know.
It's a really nice rock. I kept it for you from Halloween.

Hope you all have a Holly Jolly, you batch of sad, godless cretins... first spiked Egg Nog is on me!!

(our church service tonight was OFF the whacky meter on eff-ups)

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
zsummers
Avast!

2011-12-24, 23:28

I am getting obliterated on Bowmore.
So Merry Christmas.
Foj
Veteran Member

2011-12-25, 09:07

beardedmacuser

2011-12-25, 10:29

Happy Christmas everyone! Sorry haven't been round here much, what with retraining, relocating and reproducing in the last year. Have a wonderful day!
Mac+
9" monochrome

2011-12-25, 16:18

Congrats on the little bearded one bmu.

Merry Christmas (Boxing Day down here) one and all. Hope it was a day spent with the ones you love. Life is too short to waste it otherwise.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-12-25, 22:12

Right at the end.

Merry Christmas everyone.

And happy holidays to all as well.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-12-26, 21:23

Merry Christmas from (somewhat) snowy Annapolis Royal Nova Scotia, where we are visiting for the holidays.

Re some of the comments above, my own view is that whether you are Christian or not, everyone can enjoy Christmas if you want to. I am probably not on all fours with my Church on this (though I belong to a pretty open minded Church, so I could be wrong on that point) but I personally do not believe that the the benefits of Christmas, or indeed Christianity, depend first and foremost on faith. There are different ways to feel it, and I would never begrudge anyone celebrating Christmas regardless of the particular nature of their faith, or lack of it.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-12-26, 22:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
Merry Christmas from (somewhat) snowy Annapolis Royal Nova Scotia, where we are visiting for the holidays.

Re some of the comments above, my own view is that whether you are Christian or not, everyone can enjoy Christmas if you want to. I am probably not on all fours with my Church on this (though I belong to a pretty open minded Church, so I could be wrong on that point) but I personally do not believe that the the benefits of Christmas, or indeed Christianity, depend first and foremost on faith. There are different ways to feel it, and I would never begrudge anyone celebrating Christmas regardless of the particular nature of their faith, or lack of it.
We had a discussion on this in Minecraft. The way I see it, is that there are basically two Christmases. There's Christmas as a modern cultural construct, with the family togetherness and the (secular) music and the gift-giving and the Starbucks Christmas Blend, and then there's Christmas as a religious observation. I call these "Santa Christmas" and "Jesus Christmas."

I celebrate "Santa Christmas." Most of the modern Christmas traditions aren't related to the Christian religion anyway, so it's not like you have to believe in Jesus to celebrate them. I only call it "Christmas" by popular convention — I really don't feel like I'm observing a religious holiday I'm "opposed to," any more than I consider observing Thursday to be statement of faith in Thor. It doesn't bother me enough to make me want to call it something else. I think a lot of people are in this boat. But some nonreligious people aren't, and they celebrate Holiday or Festivus instead.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-12-27, 02:48

I haven't been following my RSS feeds the past few days or else I would have shared this in a more timely fashion.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-12-27, 03:15

Also, somebody made a Portal Christmas tree:

Windswept
On Pacific time

2011-12-27, 19:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeriatric View Post
Hopefully the title of this thread will stop anybody being offended.

I wish all fellow Novians. A Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Geri.
Hope you all had a great Christmas.

Hope you have a wonderful 2012, geri.

And the same to all our friends here at AN.

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-12-27, 20:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post

Here's the problem with that: You make it seem like you can completely divorce the roman-greek-pagan aspects of this Christian holiday from its celebration. You cannot. And suggesting that people who don't celebrate simply do not have the desire to celebrate misses an entire point: some people just do not see any reason to celebrate at all. I neither ever want to celebrate Christmas nor do I see its celebration as a normative ideal. So, no, Chinney, it's not that I don't want to celebrate Christmas, I don't, it's that your religions cultural offshoots have no bearing on me and will continue not to.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-12-28, 20:37

Happy Hannukah from TerraNova

Spoiler (click to toggle):
blichte1 = billybobsky, werejack = Robo

edit: Or not. Apparently no one can see this video because I had Daft Punk playing in iTunes when I recorded it and YouTube has blocked it. GREAT.