AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iCloud vs Mail vs 10.5.8 (and older)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iCloud vs Mail vs 10.5.8 (and older)
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2012-04-12, 02:54

Migrated to iCloud a few days ago and now both my computers can not connect to the mail server.

Keep getting a rejected password prompt

"imap.mail.me.com rejected the password for user..."

I know this password is correct because I have changed it ten times in the last two days and coming up with new passwords is getting tedious. My iPad can connect no issues but on both my TiBook and G5 machines Mail is borked. I can connect via the web to the Cloud.

I have even deleted the account and tried creating a new one, but seem to be too much of a mongol to set them up correctly.

HAWLP!

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-04-12, 07:56

Doesn't iCloud require Lion on the Mac side?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-04-12 at 08:24.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-04-12, 08:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Doesn't iCloud require Lion on the Mac side?
Apple tells you this to try to get people to upgrade, but the reality is that the iCloud servers use the same standard IMAP and SMTP mail protocols as Mobile Me, .Mac, iTools, and virtually every other email service on the planet. The only gotcha is that Apple hides the server names and hard-codes them into the new OS.

As for the specific issue Ω is having, I'm not sure. I still haven't upgraded my account to iCloud because I'm postponing the inevitable headaches like this.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2012-04-12, 08:13

Here's Apple's support article. It somewhat misleadingly claims 10.7.2 is required, but it's really just standard IMAP/SMTP stuff. Perhaps you forgot SSL?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-04-12, 08:35

That's douchey of Apple.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2012-04-12, 09:15

What is? Them not supporting something new on something old? I wouldn't do that either, especially when the new thing is free.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2012-04-13, 02:04

Going to spend some time on this on Sunday when I have more time. I was hoping that maybe someone here had gone through this nightmare before and had the magic bullet to fix easily. At the moment with google I am just getting a lot of chaff which is not too technical or even that complete so will have to dig deeper.

Still happy for someone to chime in with magic bullet though as I have better things to do with my weekend than fixing my "it just works" machines.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-04-13, 08:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
What is? Them not supporting something new on something old? I wouldn't do that either, especially when the new thing is free.
Chucker, I was only thinking of the ability to connect to the mail servers, not the integration with OS. I keep forgetting that there's something more involved than simply getting your mail - there's a whole "Exchange" sort of thing happening here, right?

Can you tell that I haven't moved to Lion yet?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
chucker

2012-04-13, 09:19

I'm not seeing any evidence that they've deliberately broken e-mail access from older OSes, though. They just aren't documenting it.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2012-04-17, 03:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
That's douchey of Apple.

I'm going with this, though language at the moment is a lot stronger. Their "support" article is arse.

I particularly like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wankers!
iCloud Mail uses IMAP and SMTP standards supported by most modern email applications. You can use the server information below to manually configure your email application to send and receive iCloud Mail.
Obviously Mail 3.6 is not classed as a "modern" email application.

Can anyone out there confirm that I can actually get this to work as my google-fu is lacking at the moment and I can't seem to find anything of relevance that actually has any substance to it. I even attempted to look at the apple community pages, where I log in using my apple ID, and then it wont let me proceed because someone else is using that email address (namely me, but I don't have the option of being me. Gah!)

Ready to stab someone!

chucker

2012-04-17, 03:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ω_ View Post
Obviously Mail 3.6 is not classed as a "modern" email application.
How do you figure?

Quote:
Can anyone out there confirm that I can actually get this to work as my google-fu is lacking at the moment and I can't seem to find anything of relevance that actually has any substance to it. I even attempted to look at the apple community pages, where I log in using my apple ID, and then it wont let me proceed because someone else is using that email address (namely me, but I don't have the option of being me. Gah!)
I can't, not having a machine running 10.5. I suppose I could set up a VM…
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2012-04-17, 04:11

Quote:
How do you figure?
According to the "support" article Windows 2007 is considered "modern" enough even though "Outlook 2007 was available in retail stores at the end of January 2007" and Mail was bundled with Leopard which was released on 26 October 2007.

Quote:
I can't, not having a machine running 10.5. I suppose I could set up a VM…
Thanks for the offer, but really not necessary. I am just all snarky at the moment because Apple is reaming me! I only upgraded to keep my .mac address and then the delicious irony is that I can't use it!

chucker

2012-04-17, 04:38

Quote:
According to the "support" article Windows 2007 is considered "modern" enough even though "Outlook 2007 was available in retail stores at the end of January 2007" and Mail was bundled with Leopard which was released on 26 October 2007.
No, how do you figure that Mail on Leopard won't work when it's just a plain ol' IMAP and SMTP server according to them?
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2012-04-17, 05:19

Because I have spent about three hours to get it to work! Keeps rejecting my login details. Have tried the imap and stmp setups as detailed and also many variations of my login (.mac, .me, just me username etc) and it just refuses to connect.

I know my login details are correct because I can go to icloud.com and type them in there and connect straight away. I would show screenshots but alas my iDisk is no longer active.

dmegatool
Custom User Title

2012-04-17, 10:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
The only gotcha is that Apple hides the server names and hard-codes them into the new OS.
Think I've seen someone saying that you can in fact set it up without being on Lion. You need to figure on which server you need to connect though. It's not icloud.com but something between p00.icloud.com and p10.icloud.com (Can be me.com or whatever. Just brainstroming about the pxxs)

Just throwing ideas, I'm really not sure if this is a working path...

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2012-04-18, 01:09

Seen those addresses floating around, initially when iCloud went live it looks like p99 was the server of choice for all parties involved.

Hoping I don't have to go up to .99 as that would rip my nighty! Also compounded the fact this may not be my magic bullet, me thinks me may need to crack open a few tasty beverages! Silver lining in the cloud!

_Ω_
Veteran Member

2012-05-11, 23:47

By accident I may have found the solution. When synching my iPad I discovered an option in iTunes to sync mail, which looks like it allows me to connect. Not a 100% sure if it got the new mail from the iPad or downloaded it from the cloud. Keep you posted.

_Ω_
Veteran Member

2012-05-19, 19:46

Looks like the router may have also been an issue on this one. While I could receive emails, sending was another story. Also helped the delete the MobileMe IMAP account and just use IMAP.