User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

COVID-19 Outbreak

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
COVID-19 Outbreak
Page 32 of 42 First Previous 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36  Next Last Thread Tools
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-01-09, 18:51

What Capella described is definitely the nightmare scenario. It's here and playing out in real-time.

So many essential professions have been treated terribly for years—healthcare providers, teachers, bus drivers—and now we're paying the collective price for shitting on them this whole time.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-01-09, 20:31

Hey Drew, Those ECMO machines are at best 2-3% of total ICU capacity. Some hospitals may have two, some have none. Your friend’ brother got assigned through some combination of grace and blind luck, and some level of battlefield triage (his relative odds of survival).

Some months ago, as Ontario’s third wave loomed, the OMA (Ontario Medical Association) issued a guidance to doctors on triaging patients if resources should become the limiting and therefore deciding factor on who is given lifesaving acute care. They were concerned that doctors were not trained to deal with the mental stress of having to chose who lives right now. They weren’t talking about sober decisions about reasonable means, or efficaciousness. They were talking about scarcity: you can’t save both patients ‘cause you only have one ventilator left… someone then has to tell the unlucky party, I’m sorry but we’re not treating you… Doctors are trained to triage on the basis of most critical need first, and the OMA was worried that they would have to start deciding (on the spot) who they could stand a better chance of saving and who they would simply have to turn away from treatment. Options included assigning someone to take the decision out of the doctors’ hands and even simply choosing at random. At one point Ontario reached 1600 patients of 2300 total ICU bed capacity. We never got to the point where ICU space was being assigned on a battlefield model, but we got there with ECMO circuits.

There may be 70 ECMO suites in the whole province. People could be (and were) disqualified as candidates based on age, underlying health conditions, and length of time already spent on a ventilator. I know one family that didn’t get the same chance we got.

At the peak of the third wave, the 12 ECMO suites in Canada’s largest Children’s hospital all had adults with COVID on them, just across the street from my wife’s hospital, with some staff pulling double duty at both locations. I was lucky enough to live within 40 minutes of approx 2/3rds of the province’s capacity. There’s a chance we got that bed just because we were an hour closer than someone else…
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-01-09, 20:50

Colorado is getting to the same point. 93% of ICU beds full and the state has authorized hospitals to include vaccination status in triage decisions.

Colorado has a pretty high vax rate (68% fully vaxxed) and we're still in a terrible situation here. I don't even want to think about other parts of the country with vax rates in the 40s or 50s.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2022-01-10, 01:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
What Capella described is definitely the nightmare scenario. It's here and playing out in real-time.
I think back in mid 2020 or so there was a study out of the UK about how many people in the UK would die (or die early) due to delaying cancer screenings. We’ve known this kind of thing was more or less inevitable since the beginning, and it’s finally here

Doesn’t make it suck any less, though.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-01-10, 03:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Would also be important to see which age groups people in ICU are, vaccinated vs not. Fully vaccinated seniors are still far more likely to end up in ICU!
The lack of relevant data has been the most frustrating part of this pandemic.

A lot of the conspiracy theories and public misinformation definitely seems to come from the lack of detail released. People feel that the data is being hidden/manipulated to support a narrative, and the internet takes it from there.

There's no good reason not to have age-range reporting daily on deaths and ICU admittance two years into this thing unless you have something you want to hide. And some people are assuming the worst.

------

One other thing: Given that the flu is a major seasonal thing even without a pandemic, is it time we really looked at treating this very differently? I don't know what a separate health care stream dedicated to the Flu would look like, but it seems to me that this issue of moderately-sick, very contagious people flooding hospital ERs, doctor's offices and pharmacies every Winter needs to get fixed. As we've seen, it's a major drain on families, businesses and health care resources.

There has to be a better way to handle this seasonal influx. Even the Postal Services expand hiring for Christmas. Toronto makes a big deal about its readiness for winter highway snow cleaning. We got porcelain bathrooms after the Spanish Flu pandemic, hopefully we get a quantum leap in flu diagnostics and treatment after this one.

Last edited by Frank777 : 2022-01-10 at 04:50.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-01-10, 09:16

Except that, until very recently, most of the relevant data has been freely available. What is still being collected is available too, but isn't as complete because testing is being curtailed. You can download rather complete data sets directly from the government of Ontario's public facing COVID websites, and you can get epidemiological studies directly from Public Health. Same with Government of Canada COVID data trends page, and probably every province. I don't have the time to analyze them all, since it's merely a personal pre-occupation, but I know how and where to look. It's similar enough to my own work that I can tell where a recommendation is soft pedaled in order to pass bureaucratic/political muster. The essential information is right there, both in data and essentially plain English, even when the language is softened considerably.

Since the pandemic began, at nearly every turn, Federal and Provincial decision makers have had the information they need well in advance, but there have been a number of key instances where decisions were needlessly delayed despite broad scientific and medical consensus.

The impression of dissent fostered by social media is one thing - seeking out and amplifying outliers in order to torque the narrative. Perhaps even more problematic is a general weakness in mainstream scientific media that doesn't really understand the importance of scientific process, which is essentially conservative about what it knows, and loathe to make absolute declarative statements. That's not sexy. Media wants the "news" and so often reports on the most tantalizing bit, the hypothesis itself. This is the suspicion, albeit of trained investigators (scientists), that can't possibly be rigorously tested yet, that might simply be a misread clue, or a completely irrelevant one. It leads people to believe that science is dancing all over the place and cherry-picking data to serve some other agenda, when it most certainly objectively is not doing anything other than testing hypotheses that are falsifiable - that is, can be refuted by empirical test or observation. Over time this kind of reporting reduces everything to pseudoscientific impressions and conjectures which no one appears to refute, because it's not reported when they are refuted. The refutation is where all the science is, but the "news" doesn't cover that. People don't understand what they're seeing/hearing is at best incomplete and then... politics, conspiracy, confirmation bias, general ignorance despite the sheer abundance of information. This produces other dissonances in the population. Ask yourself how can people with so much information understand so little? We live on a continent where in recent memory, since the Scopes trial in the USA, 14 states have tried by various tactics to insert creationism or otherwise limit the teaching of evolution in science curriculum.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-01-12, 23:02

I know things have been crazy the last couple years, but this idea of taxing the unvaccinated into compliance has gained serious discussion in Canada.
And it's embarrassing.

Anyone who is even remotely familiar with the Charter of Rights understands that this insane idea will not withstand a court challenge.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-01-13, 09:16

Not unprecedented in the least, we tax people for doing all kind of things that cost the health care system extra money in Canada. We tax cigarettes, alcohol, and sugary products due to the health issues they can cause and the extra burden they put on the system as a result. How is this any different? The unvaccinated are costing hundreds of millions of dollars, fill up the ICU units that other people need, and are preventing people with other illnesses from getting procedures they need. I lost any ounce of sympathy for those people a long time ago.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-01-13, 10:49

Rights are open to interpretation, limitation, and suspension depending on the circumstances. The typical benchmarks for doing so are two: that the reasons are bonafide due to the circumstances, and the criteria are evenly applied. You absolutely can limit rights within those two caveats, and it is done all the time in safety regulation, workplaces, emergency measures, state/national interest... and is being done, entirely legally, as we speak, right across the country. Under Ontario's Emergency Measures and Civil Protection Act restriction to freedom of assembly and movement have been in place for months and have failed no legal challenges.

That said, such actions are also open to unintended consequences. Maybe the unvaccinated pay a surtax, but end up treating the "tax" as a pay-for-play fee? Basically thinking, "I don't have to vax, since I paid my fee," and given that as a group, anti-vaxxers are more often contrarians (amongst other interesting qualities) it's not much of a leap to assume that some proportion will expand their reasoning to justify other selfishness, like, "I paid, so you have to let me in to your store... or, I don't have to wear a mask in your store, or I can have a gathering as large as I want... because I paid, and YOU have to let ME!" Many in the group are not so concerned with their own freedom, so much as they tend to be very concerned with imposing their will on others. It's a defining characteristic about disagreeable personality types. They may be socialized to look and sound "agreeable," so they will often present their case as a version of "live and let live" but social media is full of qualitative examples that show the difference: when you see some furious Facebook/Instagram/YouTuber posting, they're always somewhere in public looking to pick a fight with someone who must acquiesce to their demands. They're not at home, or alone somewhere, they take it to the street to "prove a point". It always involves trying to bully someone who has no authority to accommodate their demands.

Last edited by Matsu : 2022-01-13 at 13:42.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-14, 08:59

If you just had Covid, can you catch it again?
I'm not sick, I just want to see Spider-Man.

Dr. Bobsky

2022-01-14, 09:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post

Yes
¡Damned!

2022-01-14, 09:32

We've been playing it safe (still masking, out only when necessary, no dine-in, no theatres, etc) but not safe enough, apparently, as it got into the household a couple of weeks ago. Anna has terrible allergies and we had a construction project end of year removing a plaster & lath wall, so we thought the dust was the problem, but even after it was finished and cleaned up she still felt off. So I picked up a couple of home tests last week at the local pharmacy and bingo bango she had the bug. We tested again this morning just to se if it was still hanging on or if she passed it to me, but it looks like we're in the clear. Both of us are boosted, fortunately, so she just spent the week stuffy and feeling weak, but man, that little purple line showing up on that home test was a wake up moment.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-14, 09:48

Quote:

Did they not release it for home viewing as well, like a lot of other recent, high-profile movies ([007, Black Widow, Ghostbusters, etc.)?

Strikes me as a bit shitheaded, releasing a big, highly-anticipated movie like this “theaters only” in the midst of something said to be so contagious and with numbers going the way they’ve been the past month or so.

Any surge/spike numbers in December, prior to the 24th-31st, has to at least partially be laid at the feet of this movie, with all the box office/attendance records it set worldwide?

How could it not?

I mean, we’re either in the middle of something or we’re not. The entire planet is talking out of both sides of its mouth at this point.

“We’re seeing huge spikes in cases, hospitals are overrun, entire workplaces are temporarily shutting down, this thing is spreading like crazy. But hey…go sit in a room with God-knows-who for two-plus hours to see a comic book movie, fuckers. I mean, what’s the worst that could happen?”

You couldn’t pay me to go sit inside the Cough-A-Rama 22. Not even Neve Campbells’s International Bubble Bath Adventures: the Lesbian Files would be enough. And I loves me some Neve Campbell.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-01-14 at 10:08.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-01-14, 10:26

We just got our boosters 2 days ago. This one really beat the crap out of me, yesterday I felt like I did when my COVID was at its worst. Today I’m mostly back to normal. We’re taking no chances. Kids got their first pediatric doses 10 days ago and will get their second by end of month.

I just caught something from the regional officers of health presentations to council. It’s not on their public pages though. Omicron seems to be 5x more transmissible than Delta (infects 5x as many). Delta appears to be 5x more deadly (kills 5x as many of those infected with it). If I’m reading it right total deaths from both net out the same.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-01-14, 11:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Did they not release it for home viewing as well, like a lot of other recent, high-profile movies ([007, Black Widow, Ghostbusters, etc.)?

Strikes me as a bit shitheaded, releasing a big, highly-anticipated movie like this “theaters only” in the midst of something said to be so contagious and with numbers going the way they’ve been the past month or so.
You'd think so, wouldn't you? Alas, shithead corporate profits ultimately trump any potentially humane reason.

That brief moment a year ago when studios finally decided to do simultaneous at-home and in-theater releases might end up being outlier and a footnote in the history books now. Although some movies are still seeing simultaneous releases, Matrix Resurrections and Dune being the only ones that immediately come to mind, plenty of the recent big-budget studio releases like Shang Chi, Eternals, Ghostbusters Afterlife, and Spider-Man No Way Home have been back to "only in theaters" for the last six months or so. Their "only in theaters" time has been much shorter than in the before times, though. I think Disney is generally holding movies exclusively in theaters for two months before coming to home options.

That's still plenty long enough for the cultural zeitgeist to move on and for spoilers to become commonplace across news, media, and memes, though. So, "true fans" still need to cough up their cash (and health) by seeing them in theaters.

Eternals just released for home viewing a few days ago. Its theater release date was November 5. Ghostbusters Afterlife also came home a week ago, and its theater release date was November 19. Spider-Man No Way Home released to theaters on December 13. Especially since it performed very well in theaters, it's not likely to see any at-home options until February at the earliest, maybe not even until March.

No joke: I've actually gotten into the habit of setting a date on my calendar at 30/45/60 days from movie release dates so I know when to start looking online for them. That's how I knew to catch Ghostbusters Afterlife this week, and it's how I remembered to watch Shang Chi a few weeks ago (in theaters September 3, at home mid November).

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-14, 11:45

Ooh, I was wrong about Ghostbusters: Afterlife. I thought it was out for home viewing the same day.

They're going to have to go to this approach for good, sooner or later, pandemic or not. The tech/hardware is there for many (most?) at this point, and if that's how many people (and growing) prefer to see stuff, they'll make it known by continuing to shun the multiplex in the coming year(s). If they want to make anything, Hollywood will eventually be forced to do the home release/same day thing, every movie.

And now that we know they can, they really have no excuses to trot out like that might've 5-10 years ago.

But, with this COVID thing in place, that they're not doing so is makes them look really jerky and warped.

"Hey, come see the new Spider-Man movie...if you dare! Because we're doing it theaters-only, at the worst time imaginable!"

WTF kind of approach/mindset is that?!

"Here, wrap this chunk of raw, bloody meat around your torso the next time you go surfing! It heightens the experience."

Yeah, I'm sure it does.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-01-14, 11:52

In addition to my previous comments about the relative severity and transmissibility of the variants, prior exposure appears to confer very little ongoing protection from Omicron, so re-infection is far more likely.

Other reading suggests it is no less severe, so it's possible we don't really know yet, or for reasons mentioned earlier in thread (limited testing), we don't have a complete picture of the interplay between the vaccination status of individuals and population, infection rate, variants, and severity. A steady uptick in daily reported deaths suggests the new variant is not less severe, or at the least we should very precisely describe what is meant by that description. Less severe, how... to whom?

I did learn that hospitalization (taken as trailing indicator of infection) seems to manifest within the population 5-7 days after infection. So, we have some clue about spread in the community based on that:

Ontario reports as of today 535 COVID patients in ICU (527 adults and 8 children) compared to 143 on Dec 31/2021. That's nearly quadrupled in two weeks. If you count the growing daily death rate, it has quadrupled: they also reported 42 new deaths today, compared to a daily death rate that had been in the single digits through much of December.

If you consider that Ontario reported over 18,000 cases on Jan 1/2022, it's not inconceivable that there are now as many as 80,000 active infections circulating the province... against that backdrop the government plans to re-open school to in-class learning on Monday... Interesting... I'm not sending them back.

Last edited by Matsu : 2022-01-14 at 12:04.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-14, 12:22

I wouldn't either.

These numbers in Chattanooga are heading upwards as well. Way more than they were a few months ago.

But after two straight months of big "gathering"-based holidays from October 31 to December 31 (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Eve), plus a major, record-setting theater-only movie release, malls and events fully open for business, airports/flights going...WTF do people actually expect at this point? I remember telling someone back in mid-December "the big news, come mid-January, will be 'we've experienced a significant surge in December...".

Well no shit.

It's January 14 (I consider that "mid-January"). And all that's on the news - local and national, print and broadcast - are COVID numbers, infections, hospital numbers and deaths.

I give up.

"News" would've been numbers going down, with everything above in place. What's happening now is more "yeah, well...and your point?"

Again, we're either in the middle of some stuff, or we're not. But don't act like the latter and then feign shock/surprise when the "numbers are rising at an alarming rate".

Yeah, that's what happens when people needlessly gather/travel (movies, ballgames, New Years Eve parties, etc.) with strangers whose status/outlooks you know nothing about, and otherwise fuck around and roll the dice.

And the news will be even lousier, come the first week or so of February. How will it not? What's going to change in the coming weeks?
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-01-14, 13:01

Being inclined to dig around at the analytics of things, I'm sometimes guilty of poo-pooing the notion of "just a little common sense" as it's often used on an unfounded basis, but Paul, you're absolutely right here. WTF do people expect to happen if when they ignore any sort of caution? Sometimes it's pretty simple to put cause and effect together and 2+2 really is just 4.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-01-14, 13:16

Based on reports I've read here and elsewhere, I continue to me amazed and impressed by the apparent high mask compliance in my local establishments (Cary, North Carolina, USA). This town is kind of a liberal haven with a slightly older and wealthier than usual population ("CARY" jokingly (derisively?) being referred by some as Containment Area for Relocated Yankees) at least compared the the rural conservative sea just a few miles away. We're also on the outskirts of Raleigh and Durham and not far from Chapel Hill, all of which are bigger metropolitan liberal-leaning cities; a lot of people here (like me!) live here but commute to work a tech or other white-collar job in one of those cities.

I have a weekly routine, usually on Tuesday afternoons, of going shopping to restock groceries and home essentials. Other that that, I'm pretty much at home indoors all hours of the week. No food deliveries coming to our door either. I'm tightly masked and gloved everywhere I go, still swiftly maintaining distance and avoiding contact, and every time I go out, I keep a mental tally of how many folks I see masked versus unmasked, dick-nosed, or with chin diapers. The overwhelming majority, and I mean like easily 90% or more, of the folks I encounter are all masked correctly. Young grade-school kids too, for the most part, aside from toddlers. It's not a perfect solution, but it has been incredibly reassuring. We had a mask mandate at the start of this mess, but of course it was never enforced, and the official mandate was lifted many months ago. Yet, somehow against all odds, common sense seems to prevail.

At least that's how it is in our grocery stores and Target. I have no clue how bad restaurants or fast food joints or other stores or businesses or schools are.

I keep seeing videos and reading posts online where someone will rant or lament about being the only person masked in some crowded store or building. It just blows my mind. It's like people are living on different planets.

How has mask compliance been lately where all of you live?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-14, 13:54

Immediate reinfection seems low (not trying to justify going to the movie theater) from what I'm reading, but

The CDC's material about reinfection is pretty sparse at this point which is why I'm curious.

BBC--> Covid immunity: Can you catch it twice?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Dr. Bobsky

2022-01-15, 10:25

Quote:
Immediate reinfection seems low (not trying to justify going to the movie theater) from what I'm reading, but

The CDC's material about reinfection is pretty sparse at this point which is why I'm curious.

BBC--> Covid immunity: Can you catch it twice?

It's unlikely... but not impossible -- especially if you have a variant that doesn't elicit a robust immune response. There's also the 'risk' that our immune system normalises to having covid around, and so you no longer have an adequate response and the infection becomes chronic...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-15, 11:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
Being inclined to dig around at the analytics of things, I'm sometimes guilty of poo-pooing the notion of "just a little common sense" as it's often used on an unfounded basis, but Paul, you're absolutely right here. WTF do people expect to happen if when they ignore any sort of caution? Sometimes it's pretty simple to put cause and effect together and 2+2 really is just 4.
That's usually how I tend to see life/the world, and I'm rarely surprised. There's nothing noble or "cool" about needlessly complicating (or ignoring) the obvious.

We're in the midst of a very contagious thing. A lot of people aren't acting like it. And the numbers are going in a direction nobody likes. So, yeah...there absolutely is a link/connection. I don't think it's any big mystery to solve or chin-scratch over. People spent two solid months up each other's ass (figuratively), so...yeah.

Again...WTF do people truly expect from all their get-togethering, mingling, moviegoing, partying, basketball-watching, pub trivia, concert gatherings, mall sprees, etc.?

I just don't believe those kinds of things are a "must" at the moment, so I'm not doing them. I will again, someday. Absolutely. I can't wait! But November-December 2021 and January 2022? Nope, just not interested.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-01-15 at 11:18.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-15, 12:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
There's also the 'risk' that our immune system normalises to having covid around, and so you no longer have an adequate response and the infection becomes chronic...
CHEESES!

Chronic Covid.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-01-15, 12:22

Having it become chronic wouldn't be unusual. There are many viruses that are part of our DNA now, that are no longer harmful to us. Of course if COVID 19 didn't become harmless before that happened, it would be an issue. That assuming what I remember my father telling me was correct (he majored in biology).
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-01-16, 08:00

So... I'm not sure if this is better fit here in the COVID thread, or in the daily news thread, but I'm so happy with Australia right now for kicking Novak Djokovic out of the country. Fuck him. Some of his supporters will argue that his vaccination status shouldn't matter because he was granted an exemption. I'm glad the government found a way to reverse it. He lied about his test positivity and travel history, which has some significant penalties in Australia. He's lucky to merely be deported. I think he should be banned from re-entry for a period of time.

Apologists for him will argue that he was deported for political reasons, but there are problems with that argument. Politics ultimately is about the process of making decisions in groups that are effected by those decisions. Initially accepting him was equally political by that measure. A looming election might have sharpened the State's reaction, but it's still the right one. I'm so fucking tired of everyone thinking they're special and don't have to follow the same rules. How many Australians have sacrificed over the lock-down periods? They live off tourism to a larger degree than many other nations, but they shut it down in the best interests of the community, and have embraced science based decisions on infection control, including one of the highest vaccination rates. So, it's their country, and their people generally don't want to accept some selfish ass-hole looking for ways to skirt the rules they've all agreed to accept.

I'm putting Australia on my list of post pandemic travel destinations.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-16, 09:30

Hats off to Australia!
Dude lied. Go home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
I'm putting Australia on my list of post pandemic travel destinations.
22 hours in a metal tube with other people?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-16, 10:12

It’s a tennis player, what do you expect? Their twat levels are proven to be higher than the general population.

*ducks*

In all seriousness, if he lied and all…well, yeah. Australia - any country - has the right/obligation to enforce their rules. Should be nothing controversial or divisive about that.

Especially for jackass, dickwit tennis players, of all people. Hell, I wish we could kick a few dozen of ‘em out of this country.

Apologies for my tennisist words/leanings. I realize it’s 2022, but I probably picked it up from my grandpa. Things were different in the 70’s, and not as tolerant/evolved as they are now. I know better than to judge a person by their sport. I’ll try to be better.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-01-16, 10:38

Quote:
Hats off to Australia!
Dude lied. Go home.

22 hours in a metal tube with other people?

OK, post-post-post pandemic. It's not that much of a stretch for us. We have some extended family there, and have had New Zealand on the bucket list since watching the Making of LOTR DVDs 15 years ago.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-01-16, 12:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
It’s a tennis player, what do you expect? Their twat levels are proven to be higher than the general population.

*ducks*

If the shoe fits… They tend to be right up there with golfers.