User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Logitech mouse comparisons - user experience?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Logitech mouse comparisons - user experience?
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-03-26, 00:09

Hi all,

I am thinking of purchasing a new mouse and I'd like it to be wireless. I like the Logitech stuff and am asking for opinions on these two devices.

1. Logitech MX1000 Laser Cordless Mouse link

Pros - excellent ergonomics (for RH users), wireless, rechargeable battery, plethora of configurable buttons, OS X supported, laser precision
Cons - I think the charging/receiver station will take up a USB port

2 Logitech MediaPlay Cordless mouse link

Pros - great design, doubles as a media remote for your computer with backlit buttons, plethora of configurable buttons
Cons - requires two AA batteries, no OS X support, I think the charging/receiver station will take up a USB port

Now, you probably think the decision is made, b/c option 2 does not have OS X support. But I read somewhere that LoCash used an MX700 or something which did not advertise OS X support - but he still got it to work. I also have a System Preference Pane for my Logitech Mouseman Traveler - and I don't think they advertised OS X support. I'm inclined to believe the MediaPlay model could be the same - it will "probably" work under OS X ... but I am not sure. Does anybody have any experience with it?

Of course, if this is the case (will work with OS X even if not advertised as such) then I'd be saving my Yuan for the Logitech diNovo keyboard/mouse combo - damn expensive though. read more

Other perspecitve - am I better off forgetting these wireless RF models and opting for BlueTooth instead?

TIA.

Last edited by Mac+ : 2005-03-26 at 00:19.
Kyros

2005-04-02, 20:21

I have an MX 700, it has drivers for OSX. It is a great mouse, plenty of buttons and I have never had a problem with it. I have been using it for at least 9 months now, I think. I don't remember exactly, it may even be a year now. The battery lasts long, the charging station makes it easy to just charge it overnight (no need to take out the batteries and put them in a charger).
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-04-02, 20:37

I have the MX1000. It kicks ass. Get it.

Logitech's MX900 (bluetooth version of the MX700) does not support Mac OS X. That doesn't mean it completely doesn't work, but it does mean that you can't use Logitech's drivers with it. So instead the mouse uses OS X's built in mouse drivers, which handle button 1 (left click), button 2 (right click), button 3 (middle click), and scrolling. OS X also recognizes buttons 4-8 (forward, back, cruise up, cruise down, quick switch), but doesn't assign a function to them by default. You can assign them to Exposé functions in the preferences. Or you can use USB Overdrive to assign them to whatever you want.

I don't know why you would want the Media Play one though. The main advantage it has, and the reason it costs so much, is that it's designed to be a wireless home theater/multimedia controller in addition to a mouse. On a Mac, it won't have any of those capabilities. You'll be paying a lot of money for just another cordless mouse, and one that isn't that ergonomically sound either (with ergonomic sacrifices made to make it a better remote).

I repeat - the MX1000 kicks all ass. I'd suggest getting it. On the other hand, you can pick up a Logitech Cordless MX Duo, which includes both the MX700 mouse and the wireless Elite keyboard, for about the same price. Both are very good. I used them for about a year before I sold them, sadly, with my PC. That's why I got the MX1000 as a replacement.

EDIT: To answer a few of your other questions... yes, they will both take up one USB port. And no, you're not better off getting bluetooth peripherals. Most reviews I've read say that bluetooth mice tend to skip and suffer from lag. Logitech's FastRF is extremely fast and there's no lag. In fact, there's no delay at all when going from "sleep" mode on the MX1000 to "active" mode. Most wireless mice go to sleep after about 30 seconds of inactivity, and take half a second to a second to wake up. The MX1000 takes more like 3 seconds to go to sleep, but it wakes instantly. It also has an on/off switch, and the batteries last a very long time for a mouse that big. Combine that with the battery meter and charging station and it's one hell of a mouse. Basically throws all the disadvantages of wireless right out the window.

Also it tracks perfectly even on bad surfaces, like my leg. And from really far away (about 20 feet, almost as long range as bluetooth).

Last edited by Luca : 2005-04-02 at 20:43.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-04-02, 20:51

What Luca said. I didnt think I would ever find a replacement for my MX700 (well anytime in the near future) but I was wrong. The MX1000 kicks some serious ass. Comfortable, customizable, all the buttons you could ever want, battery meter, button to turn the mouse off, etc.

Get it, you wont regret it.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-04-02, 22:08

Do bluetooth mice work with the internal bluetooth on powerbook?
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-04-02, 22:24

Thanks Kyros, Luca and oad - I was beginning to give up hope of this thread being answered.

*Ironically* ... I ventured into a tech centre in Nanjing yesterday and managed to communicate with my basic and broken Chinese (as well as some mime ) to a salesperson, how I would like to take the MediaPlay home and see if I could to get it to work with OS X. If it did not, I told him that would like to return it and I'll purchase the MX1000. He appeared to understand and replied to me as much in his broken English. *

Well, I know it seems stupid b/c they do not advertise OS X support for the MediaPlay, but they didn't for the Traveler either - and that works!

Anyway, I brought the MediaPlay home last night - and the mouse would move the cursor - but I could not get any buttons to click/work. It is a fine looking piece of equipment and I could imagine the remote control functions would come in handy one day. I guess I'll have to wait for a Bluetooth iPod now.

As for the ergonomics, yes - the mouse holding design has been sacrificed for the remote holding design, yet it is still comfortable. Bear in mind, I'm coming from using the rather spartan Mouseman Traveler so most mice would be a step up in comfort and ergonomics. Anyway, as I said, it was not uncomfortable to hold and looks like a fine piece of kit next to the silver colour of my TiPB - it would obviously complement an AlBook and the Cinema Displays as well.

I'll ride back down to the tech centre this afternoon and exchange/pay a bit extra for the MX1000. Thanks for the informative answers to my questions, I really appreciate it!

PS - If I were to go for a cordless desk set-up I would opt for the diNovo line from Logitech. Those units just look to complement the aesthetics of the Apple hardware so well. I wish they wrote some OS X drivers for them!

* I have to add, we English speakers are a spoiled bunch ... I'm doing my best to learn Chinese at Uni now, but it puts me to shame when I encounter so many Chinese who are able to speak my native tongue.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2005-04-03, 01:02

why do they both take up a USB port? I use the MX900 Bluetooth mouse at work, and while the charging station can be plugged in via USB, that's really just for Windows because the charging cradle acts as a Bluetooth hub. If they wrote mac drivers for it you wouldn't need the DLink USB Bluetooth dongle on non-BT equipped macs. So at work I have the cradle plugged into the wall, the USB cord just dangles behind the desk; no reason to plug it in.

Unless things have changed in the new mouse...

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-04-03, 01:13

LoCash - those two models are not Bluetooth equipped, so the RF needs to get into the computer somehow, thus the USB cable I presume.

[EDIT] Can you tell me if the MX900 does not have drivers for OS X how you got it to register mouse clicks and the like? I have the MediaPlay in front of me now, but I can only get it to move the cursor. TIA.

twitter

Last edited by Mac+ : 2005-04-03 at 04:59.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-04-05, 04:12

Well I returned the MediaPlay yesterday and paid a bit more for the MX1000 in exchange.

The MX1000 (as Luca and oad have attested - thanks btw! ) is a beautiful mouse to use. I especially like the fact that it contains a 3 way LED charge level meter and that it does not use consumable batteries. Having the base station acting as a charger is also an excellent feature. From an ergonomic perspective it is very well designed and I now love being wireless!

Even though I am very happy with this mouse, I so wanted the MediaPlay one to work with OS X! If ever Logitech writes some OS X drivers for it and adds a rechargeable battery, I'd be all over it!

My MouseMan Traveler now resides permanently in my laptop bag - sleek, discrete and a beautiful complement (imho) to the Ti and Al Books. It also does not require batteries so I will never be annoyed by a loss of functionality because the charge has dissipated. I think it is the perfect travelling companion!

Once again thanks for the feedback and advice AN'ers - I'm very grateful for it.

twitter
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-04-05, 04:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
I'm pretty sure they do ... but I do not have BT on my TiPB, so I have not been able to check it out for sure.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-04-05, 05:18

Glad you like the MX1000 Mac+. I haven't used it but in my experience anything with "MX" on it is good. I've used three other MX models.

BTW, guys, what options are there for configurable remote control?
I know Salling Clicker and Romeo can be used to transform some BT phones into remotes. Is there purpose built remote hardware?
ast3r3x

2005-04-05, 05:36

Mac+, can't you use USB overdrive to set the buttons to act as key commands that control a media player? I mean even better you could set it for each media application so that you are sure it always works.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-04-05, 07:19

ast3r3x - what is USB overdrive? I would have loved to have tried that before I returned the Media Play. Aside from the fact that it used batteries, I actually thought it was one cool piece of kit.

twitter
ast3r3x

2005-04-05, 09:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
ast3r3x - what is USB overdrive? I would have loved to have tried that before I returned the Media Play. Aside from the fact that it used batteries, I actually thought it was one cool piece of kit.
USB OverDrive X

Quote:
The USB Overdrive is a universal USB driver that handles all USB mice, trackballs, joysticks and gamepads from any manufacturer and lets you configure them either globally or on an application-specific basis. It reads all kinds of wheels, buttons, switches and controls and supports scrolling, keyboard emulation, launching and complex macros as well as all the usual stuff like clicking, control-clicking and so forth.
To say the least...it's very customizable.

Since I lately broke my MX500 (still usable, but the increase button is broken after a recliner...with me in it was applied to the mouse) I am in the market for a new mouse. I would LOVE a moues with buttons to control different media applications because I am constantly connecting my powerbook to my TV to watch things.

I really don't see the batteries as a problem because I'll just use rechargable batteries anyways.

I really like the MediaPlay, but I do so desire a bluetooth mouse, it's so annoying to connect a wireless thing to my computer and take up a USB port when I wouldn't need to.

*sigh*

Last edited by ast3r3x : 2005-04-05 at 09:52.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-04-05, 09:54

Quote:
Yes, they do. I have a Macally BTmini bluetooth mouse that works with the internal bluetooth on a 12" PB.
ast3r3x

2005-04-05, 10:02

What makes the MX10000 scrolling so great? I mean I understand how precise it is, but I can't say I have a problem with my MX500.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-04-06, 01:59

ast3r3x - D'oh! If only I knew about this when I had the MediaPlay in my hands. Too embarrassed to go and ask for it back again.

I do agree with you though, if Logitech made the MediaPlay BT that would be great - since it would not hog a USB port. Sort of defeats the purpose of going wireless aesthetically if you still have a cable connected to your computer. But for now, the MX1000 - with full OS X compatability (Logitech drivers) - makes me happy enough to endure the charge station/RF base being connected to the TiPB.

Quote:
What makes the MX10000 scrolling so great? I mean I understand how precise it is, but I can't say I have a problem with my MX500
The scrolling is not the special thing with the MX1000, it is the tracking ability. I have tried it over a number of surfaces and it is always up for the challenge. Cursor movement is consistently smooth and not jerky - this will be good for my glass desk back in Australia, I'm sure. Another plus, as Luca pointed out, is that this mouse wakes from sleep instantaneously. Even though I haven't tried other wireless mice to compare it to, I do know that the MX1000 is fast and responsive.

I'm sure the MX500 scrolls well and probably tracks beautifully too - but if some clutz reclined on it and broke it () then that sounds like the perfect excuse to upgrade.

Btw - if you get a chance to try the MediaPlay mouse with USB OverDrive please post your findings.

twitter
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-04-06, 02:19

I wouldn't even say the tracking is the main selling point for the MX1000. Having owned *takes a deep breath* an MX500, two MX700s, three MS Intellimice (various revisions), a Kensington Studio Mouse, a Kensington Pilot Mouse, and now the MX1000, I can say that all those mice tracked well enough. Some may have been slightly better than others, and the MX1000 is definitely the best, but still. The main reason you get it is for the features and ergonomics. It's simply a joy to use. The battery lasts forever (2/3 bars left after exactly one week), it's comfortable, the scroll wheel has just the right touch, it wakes from sleep instantly, and there are plenty of buttons that are all comfortable and easy to use without being easy to accidentally press. My ONE complaint is that the horizontal scrolling is useless because it doesn't move nearly fast enough. Other than that, I'd have to say this is the perfect mouse.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-04-06, 02:36

Oh yeah, the ergonomics and button functionality is superb. I was sort of just relating to the tracking question.

I love the fact that I can accomplish so much when browsing or reading emails and documents without having to take my hands to the keyboard. The buttons are well laid out and provide good options for customisztion. (For example, I use the scroll wheel click as command+delete ... just select a file, click the wheel and to the trash it goes!) As for battery use - I look forward to discovering how good it is.

twitter
ast3r3x

2005-04-06, 07:03

I love the feel of my MX500 so much that I might have to go with the MZ10000. I had wireless logitech before, but it was just a regular mouse, not something as nice to use as the MX.

Decisions Decisions.
nataliepants

2005-06-25, 18:26

I found this thread googling for a way to get my iBook to play nice with my brand new Logitech MediaPlay cordless mouse. At ast3r3x's recommendation, I downloaded USB Overdrive and have successfully assigned all the Media buttons except the Play/Pause button. I just wanted to post and thank those who posted in this thread for keeping me from returning my MediaPlay mouse. And if there's a way to assign the Play/Pause button that I'm missing, I'd appreciate the pointer. Thanks guys.
YS 2003

2005-06-30, 19:10

I think the original poster answered his own questions by listing pros and cons. Even though the second one (media mouse) has many buttons but its software does not support OS X (so you may not be able to take full advantage). The first is MX 1000. It is the best mouse available in the market so far and it supports OS X. You can buy USB hub on the cheap and that will settle that point. Go with MS 1000. It's about $60 to $80 range depending on the retailors.

YS2003 (Mac head)