User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Powerbook Concerns

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Powerbook Concerns
BenP

2005-06-30, 13:22

I went to the Apple Store today, pretty much ready to buy a 15", but when I got there I changed my mind. For starters I couldn't get the EDU discount without my acceptance letter, which was at home.

But besides that there were some other things that bugged me.

All the notebook screens were pretty dull looking. This suprised me because my friend's new 15" PB sceen is beautiful. I checked the display settings but they were maxed out. Could the store lighting or the angle from which I was looking at the screen make it look dull?

The notebooks were also slower than I had hoped. I'm on an 800 MHz G4 iMac but I couldn't see a noticable difference in speed of launching Illustrator or opening Finder files on a 1.67 PB. That disappointed me, but I don't see how there's anything I can do.

My main concern is that I liked the size of the 12" better than the 15" but the 12" is considerably less powerful than the top end 15" I was thinking of buying. I wish the video card was better and I want a backlit keyboard. OTOH, the 15" seemed bigger than necessary. The size of the 12" is perfect.
I want to be able to take it to class and stuff without being ultra-cramped on the desk.

The only semi-intense thing I plan on using the notebook for is Illustrator, and occasionally Photoshop, but it's not like I'm majoring in graphic design or anything...I just do some casual stuff. I do want to keep the notebook for four years. Based on that stuff, would the 12" or 15" work better for me? And is it worth waiting in the (probably vain) hope that they will bump the PB before September? I can wait until then but it doesn't look like there is any reason too. Last thing: is it possible to replace a PB video card with a 3rd party one? Obviously it will void my warranty, but can it be done?

Sorry for the long post and unimaginative subject...big purchase, though, and I'd rather ask than not.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-06-30, 13:26

I'd look at the performance difference (except for video card, which is non-upgradable) as moot if you take the $$ difference between the 12" and 15" and use it to max out the RAM in a 12".
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-30, 13:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenP
All the notebook screens were pretty dull looking. This suprised me because my friend's new 15" PB sceen is beautiful. I checked the display settings but they were maxed out. Could the store lighting or the angle from which I was looking at the screen make it look dull?
Absolutely. The Apple stores have all that white and those bright lights; it all drowns out any brightness of the notebook screens. You'd think someone would have realized that when they designed the stores.

Quote:
The notebooks were also slower than I had hoped. I'm on an 800 MHz G4 iMac but I couldn't see a noticable difference in speed of launching Illustrator or opening Finder files on a 1.67 PB. That disappointed me, but I don't see how there's anything I can do.
Application launch time is linked directly to hard drive speed. The notebook drives are much slower and, thus, application launching and file opening will be slower. Other actual computational operations should be markedly faster on the PowerBook.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-06-30, 15:15

12" PB will be fine for what you have in mind but I would recommend at least 1 GB of RAM - either Apple or 3rd party and install yourself. As you say, the 12" is excellent for portability - it's the best combination of power and portability you can buy.In my experience the PB screens (both 12 and 15") are very good - must have been just the lighting in the Retail Store. A backlit keyboard would be very useful for working in semi-dark, but I wouldn't wait for a bump, too uncertain as to when and what.
awilso

Send a message via Yahoo to awilso  
2005-07-01, 06:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenP
I'm on an 800 MHz G4 iMac but I couldn't see a noticable difference in speed of launching Illustrator or opening Finder files on a 1.67 PB. That disappointed me, but I don't see how there's anything I can do.

Yeah, I just got a PB1.67 upgrade from a 667. I had put a 7400 drive in the 667 and the application launch speed was quite snappy. Its slower on the new 1.67.

Just a shame you can't get the battery life on 7400 drives as the 1.67 would fly. Guess I'll wait a year or two and then upgrade the HD on this one.

I know what you mean though - I was also less impressed with the Screen on the new 1.67 versus the titanium 667. Still evaluating though.

The force is strong in this one