AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Fantasy Hockey Sign-up

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Fantasy Hockey Sign-up
Page 1 of 6 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-09-23, 08:41

Yes, that's right. The Apple Nova Hockey Extravaganza is only a week away. For the uninitiated (any new members out there who like hockey, this means you!), myself and a few of the veteran members have started up a free fantasy hockey league on Yahoo. This is your chance to step up where the so-called "too busy to join" hockey fans (you know who you are, bastards! ) came up short.

Should be a good chance to have a few laughs if nothing else; it's all in good fun. There was going to be a prize but since we've had only a few guys sign up and no funds moved, it's just going to be for bragging rights. That means second place for the rest of you.

If you go here and set up a new yahoo account (assuming you don't already have one for other Yahoo stuff), you can then go here. It should ask you for an id and/or password, which are "AppleNova" and "aldo2005", respectively. League ID is 632 if you need it.

Hope to see some of you there. Going to be a long, fun season if the pre-season games (which have been more high-scoring) are any indication!

...into the light of a dark black night.

Last edited by Moogs : 2005-09-23 at 15:51.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-09-23, 08:55

No one who is signed up is unemployed as I recall, nothing too involved or complex for us working stiffs.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-09-23, 09:10

Nope, we're all gainfully employed. However, some of these so-called "fans of the game" that we've come to know over the years... are just "too busy". *sniffle, wimper* It's all really very tragic. Probably the type of guys who head for the locker room when they get a blister in their boot....

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2005-09-23, 10:11

I know I shouldn't do this, but God I want to...
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-09-23, 10:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
Nope, we're all gainfully employed. However, some of these so-called "fans of the game" that we've come to know over the years... are just "too busy". *sniffle, wimper* It's all really very tragic. Probably the type of guys who head for the locker room when they get a blister in their boot....

If this were a hockey game, I'd be saying your number over and over until our next shift. Bitch.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2005-09-23, 10:58

Moogs, you should hope to God we never meet out on the ice
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-09-23, 11:00

What's a matter, boys? Conscience getting to you? Feeling left out and disoriented? Well, I have GOOD NEWS... you can save a bunch of money on car insurance by signing up for Fantasy Hockey! "YAH BABY!"

Quote:
Griz:
I know I shouldn't do this, but God I want to...
DO IT. Do it now, before it's too late and your world comes crashing down around you!

Last edited by Moogs : 2005-09-23 at 11:01.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-09-23, 12:04

Is there virtual foil to put on?

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2005-09-23 at 12:09.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-09-23, 12:33

Rolls and rolls of foil. We had it trucked in from Minot.

Sign up now, or forever will stigma of being a wus-bag [I mean Hostess Cupcake...] rule your destiny! Murray, I hope you're feeling spring-fresh today... I know how these fantasy hockey leagues give you cramps.

*cough*

Last edited by Moogs : 2005-09-23 at 12:48.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-09-23, 15:00

By the way there's a special message for Murbot and Burb on the league board, from the commissioner himself. Gotta register on Yahoo and login first though.
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-09-23, 15:10

Hey bitch, what's the league ID#? (not name)

It's saying it wants the number. God, it's touchier than you when you are when you get a run in your nylons.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-09-23, 15:20

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-09-23, 15:33

*Ehhhxellent*

Looks like Murbot is making an effort to shed his gender confusion and join the league of manly men... now if only the rest of you patsies would stop your knitting and sign up over there, a sense of normalcy may yet return. Swear to God... all these wannabe hockey people skipping out on the league of leagues. It's an abomination of the highest order.

Last edited by Moogs : 2005-09-23 at 15:35.
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-09-23, 15:35

You're getting waaaay too into this gender thing. Does it turn you on to talk about us in panties and knitting, Moogsie?

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-09-23, 15:37

Hey I can't help it if you guys would rather sit around and watch soap operas with your wives and girlfriends than join the fray. I mean if you're afraid to get your arse kicked in a friendly league like ours, just say so. There's no shame in admitting you don't know that much about the game. It's just sports, right?

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-09-23, 16:23

Crank up the zamboni... the Burbs are taping up sticks.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-09-23, 16:51

Get that man a beer... a manly, 15 proof beer, served in a 30 oz stein like the kind they have in Belgium.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2005-09-23, 17:30

I dunno Moogs. All this talk of gender and shit kinda makes me think you have a mental complex or something. Besides, real men wear kilts, and I don't see you on the pipes, buddy Kudos to the Leafs for always opening up the season in such a manly way
In all honesty tho guys, I'm on overload credits as it is, double-majoring in two of the three hardest fields at this college. I'll get my hockey from the league I'm playing in 3 (late) nights a week. At least I'm manly enough to play the damn sport rather than sit in front of my computer in some Yahoo group bickering over it

Last edited by RowdyScot : 2005-09-23 at 17:31.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-09-23, 17:33

Tell 'em the good news Murray... go ahead... tell 'em.

That's right... the ice-ninja cometh!

Now if only nancy-boys like Griz and Rowdy would man up and play with the big dogs, this could become a truly momentous thing... *sigh* What's the world coming to? Of course, these guys from Michigan... well, it goes without saying. They might as well be from Wisconsin or something. Their love of hockey is purely mythological in nature.

As if playing in a house league makes up for ignoring the mental side of the game. I used to play in house leagues too, in fact I may even re-join one this Fall. But will that stop me from playing the online ice, despite my woman's yammering about watching 4 games a night by mid-season? Heh... afraid not.

College? You act like you're there to study or something...

Last edited by Moogs : 2005-09-23 at 17:37.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2005-09-23, 20:05

Yes, actually, I am. Otherwise I lose my scholarships, which at a $30k/yr school isn't an option. Lace up your skates and I'll show you the real nancy-boy when I plant your ass in the ice, bitch :P
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2005-09-24, 00:14

Moogs, you bastard. I'm in. And "I will kick your ass".

With the draft being mid-day on a Saturday, I won't likely be online at that time. Saturday is my biggest day at work, and I won't give up Saturday commission just to kick your asses. I will pre-rank and I will own you bitches.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317

Last edited by Wyatt : 2005-09-24 at 00:16.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-09-24, 07:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot
Yes, actually, I am. Otherwise I lose my scholarships, which at a $30k/yr school isn't an option. Lace up your skates and I'll show you the real nancy-boy when I plant your ass in the ice, bitch :P
Actually I'm sure you would. I haven't skated since April... but you're still a sissy, even if you do have a great excuse for not playing. Go knit yourself a scarf or something, would ya?

Griz: there is a new message for you on the hockey board, and welcome. It won't take long for your womanly habits to wear off, now that you've joined the manliest fantasy sports league in N. America.

In general, everyone who signed up should check the board on our league page to see what's new. For example, we need to decide if we want head-to-head matchups over the course of the entire season (playoffs included), or if we want to go just by stat accumulation.

I opted for the latter at first but now I'm thinking I might derive great pleasure from showering you hapless bastards with ice shavings every time we meet.

Last edited by Moogs : 2005-09-24 at 07:59.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-09-24, 08:06

Here's the options (there are three actually, not two):

Quote:
Head to Head
In a Head-to-Head League, your team will square off in a weekly matchup against another manager's to see who can compile the best stats across a number of different categories.

A new weekly matchup begins every Monday and will consist of a set number of games based on your league's statistical categories. Each stat category counts as one game, with the win going to the team that finishes the week with the highest total in that category (the cumulative total after each Sunday's games).

So, if in a given week, your team scores more goals than your opponent's, you would be credited with a victory. However, if your opponent's team ended the week with a better save percentage than your team, you would be charged with a loss. If the two teams end up tied in a given category, each will receive credit for a tied game.

This weekly win-loss total will be added to a cumulative season record where each win counts for two points, each tie counts for one and each loss counts for none. The total of these points will be used to determine standings and playoff seedings.

Rotisserie
In a Rotisserie League, fantasy teams are ranked from first to last in each of several statistical categories. Points are then awarded according to the order of finish in each category and are totaled to determine an overall score and place.
So, if you are in a 12-team league, the team with the most goals scored will receive 12 points, the team with the second most will receive 11 points, etc. In the case of a tie, each team involved receives an average of the total points due -- i.e., in the above example, if two teams were tied for first in assists, each would receive 11.5 points [(12 + 11) / 2 = 11.5].

Therefore, the maximum number of points that a team can earn is equal to the number of scoring categories within a league multiplied by the number of teams in the league. Similarly, the lowest number of points that a team can earn is equal to the number of scoring categories multiplied by one, which is the lowest score that can be achieved in any category.

So, if you were playing in a league with 12 teams and 12 scoring categories, the lowest point total possible is 12 [12 * 1 = 12] and the highest is 144 [12 * 12 = 144].

Rankings within the individual scoring categories (G, A, etc.) are based on the cumulative stats earned by all active players during the season and not on any individual day or game.

Therefore, the overall ranking of your team will rise and fall depending on how it performs relative to the performance of other league members. So, the phenomenon of "losing points" can be explained as your rank falling in one or more of the statistical categories used in your league.

Points System
In a fantasy point league (available only to Custom Leagues), points are awarded based on how well your players perform in each of several statistical categories. All real-life statistics have associated point values, and each player's points are summed to produce your daily total.
So, if in your league, a goal is worth two points, an assist one and a penalty minute one, a player with two goals, three assists and 10 penalty minutes would score 17 [(2*2) + (3*1) + (10*1)] fantasy points.

Fantasy points, which are only awarded to starting players on your team, are tallied throughout the season. Each team with the highest total at the end of the year wins its league championship.

My gut feeling is to go with the Head-to-Head because it's almost like a series of games against your weekly opponent, where you can sweep the stat categories, split them, or get hosed. It's not like you get one point for the week's efforts if your team faired better. Plus, and I have to emphasize, it will be great for the trash talking... We just need one more manly man to recruit so Burb doesn't get a bye week right off the bat. Eight teams would be perfect.

[You guys should also check the stats we'll be scoring with to see if you agree. Unfortunately the only Defensive oriented ones are +/- and PIM. Was kind of hoping they'd have blocked shots in there but no luck...]

Last edited by Moogs : 2005-09-24 at 08:17.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-09-24, 11:56

First time doing this kind of Fantasy League for me, perhaps for others too... so I'm inclined to keep it simple and general rather than have head-to-head matchups which might give unfair advantage to experienced players, or in weeks where some members might have commitments which leave them limited time to tweak.

I read the manual, but admit I still can't visualize the points systems and the relative merits of one option over another out as far as the playoffs. Maybe it's just puck withdrawal after so long a hockey layoff.

What might be ideal is if the commish didn't have to make a full season decision, and perhaps we could test drive some of the options for limited periods during the season, ending with a mutually approved playoff format.

Sounds like there's no red line this year, so do they rewrite the 'offensive zone %' stats from your own blue line forward, or is that stat as deprecated as blocked shots and hits?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-09-24, 13:48

Not sure about the offensive zone thing, but it's not a scoring stat either way in this particular league.

Near as I can tell the "head to head" and "points" systems require less vigilance than rotisserie, and are less complicated in how they are scored also.

The disadvantage of head-to-head is that occasionally you may not have time to change your roster on a given week and miss out on some points because of it. Although, everyone will have 2 bench players, a spare goalie and 1 IR guy (though that's negotiable too), so it's not like our rosters will be drastically different from week to week.

The one exception would be dropping players and making trades (which you can do at any time), if someone goes into a slump, etc. But that's more a question of paying attention on TV (or wherever you get your fill from), than not having time to do the Yahoo part.

Conversely you still may miss out for the same reason in the "points" format, but still not have the benefit of having a specific opponent. In fact I suspect since the season can last up to 100 games (have ours set to 94 right now which would take us roughly through round two of the playoffs), rivalries will develop because we'll all play each other several times. If FF (which is a sport I'm not even interested in, strictly speaking) can be as fun as it is at times, I think hockey would be even better.

As for experience, I think this will be a first for all of us. We all know the game but never played fantasy until now AFAIK. I've played only fantasy football, but it appears to me it has almost nothing in common (other than the yahoo interface) with fantasy hockey, in terms of strategy and game-play. So we're all noobs.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-09-25, 18:21

One more guys... one more player and we're set. Go recruit someone if you have to.
Axl

2005-09-25, 19:58

I'll throw my name in…

I'm a hockey fan, but I've never played this fantasy hockey stuff.

+1 for Rotisserie League

Last edited by Axl : 2005-09-25 at 22:16.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-09-25, 21:06

Great. I signed into the league, but now I am told that my yahoo account has been disactivated. I have no idea why - although it does say that lack of activity on yahoo can cause this. I only set up on yahoo when I first registered for the fantasy league a few weeks ago, and have not been back since. I don't know if I will be able to re-register, or if I do, whether I will be able to have the same team. I'll try, but I don't have a lot more time than the half hour I have already devoted to getting back on.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-09-25, 21:27

Well. I'm back on. I was mis-entering my Yahoo ID. I am not sure why it told me that the account was disactivated (rather than just an invalid account), but maybe that was somebody else's account.

Red River Rats Roll! I'll have to pick up a copy of the Hockey News to elucidate my picks. I have not been a player-by-player follower of hockey for a few years now (basically since my kids were born). I have a feeling I'm going to get 'whupped'.

I vote for the Rotisserie scoring option, as that seems simplest, but I really don't know....

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.

Last edited by Chinney : 2005-09-25 at 21:28.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-09-25, 23:26

All right Axl! Good work, man... now we have an even eight at a minimum. Chinney, glad you got your acct to work. So far sounds like everyone wants to go Rot, so that's what we'll do.

What do you guys think of the scoring categories I've chosen? Too many? Right ones?

The teams are basically 3 lines, 4 D and 2 G with a couple guys on the bench and an IR in case you have a really good player whose hurt but who you don't want to put on waivers (so someone else can get him).

The stats are on the list of recent changes on teh league page. Not sure about a few. I put +/- in there because there was no other defensive minded categories for skating players (like blocked shots). PIM is there also which I think we should keep.

Any other comments welcome.