User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

AppleNova Minecraft Server

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Minecraft Server
Page 41 of 49 First Previous 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45  Next Last Thread Tools
Chellovek

2011-03-29, 03:12

With some luck (thanks Brad) I should be joining you all on the server over the next couple of days. I should be able to lend a hand somewhere.

I'll be sure to pack my pickaxe.

Edit:
Wow, just wow. There is an amazing amount of stuff there guys! Currently wandering around it all getting good and lost. The giant trashcan/tree farm is cool, as is the giant glass egg.

I could do with a map with some landmarks marked on it!

Last edited by Chellovek : 2011-03-29 at 15:03.

Chellovek

2011-03-30, 03:36

After an epic trip to page 23 of this ginorma-thread, I found the map with annotations... off to explore some more.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-03-30, 06:34

Trashcan?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-30, 07:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit View Post
Trashcan?

¡Damned!

2011-03-30, 08:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit View Post
Trashcan?

A trashcan full of AWESOME:

Last edited by 709 : 2011-03-30 at 09:02.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-03-30, 09:19

OK, I want to play Minecraft now. Am I, like, way too late to get into it? Can someone explainzorz it to me? It sounds crazy complicated.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-03-30, 09:40

It's never too late. We can explain the basics, but half the fun is trial and error / terror of creepers / research on the wiki. Go buy a licence quick, while it's still Beta!

¡Damned!

2011-03-30, 09:41

I wonder if we shouldn't mention a few guidelines now that we're getting a few more players on the server? There's no "rules" per se, but we do try to be mindful of the world and each other's projects.

• For example, if you want to build something massive or close to someone else, ask if there are already plans in place for the area or if they're trying to leave it as-is.
• There's a hard limit of how much disk space we have, so we try to keep the map from bloating (with varied success ). Basically try not to go trekking for days off in one direction.
• If you need starting resources we all have various personal farms for wheat, wood, sugarcane, cacti, etc. that we'd likely let you harvest until you get settled and start building farms of your own. There's also the community traps which are great for harvesting arrows, gunpowder, bones and meat. There's a large wheat farm in Bridgeport, but I don't know if that's a community farm or not. I'm sure you could use it if you need to. When harvesting wood or wheat it's good-practice to replant saplings/seeds so they'll grow for the next person. There are 2 sand mines (Kitty Hawk and Dry Dry Desert) as well, but you'll need to get directions in-game to those.
• There's a community exchange near spawn that's probably a good place to grab some starting resources too. I think there's lots of cobble and whatnot at the moment, but it's worth checking if you're looking for something in particular.
• If a creeper blows someone else's shit up as you're running away from it, mention it. Don't try to rebuild unless it's an easy fix (some of us are picky in our aesthetics ). If it's leaking lava/water everywhere put a bandage on it.

That's off the top of my head. Hopefully others will chime in with anything I may have missed.

Welcome to the world!

So it goes.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-03-30, 09:49

Robo, you should TOTALLY join in!

¡Damned!

2011-03-30, 09:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
OK, I want to play Minecraft now. Am I, like, way too late to get into it? Can someone explainzorz it to me? It sounds crazy complicated.
It's not complicated at all.

1) Mine block.
2) Place block.
3) Get blowed up by creeper.

That's really the game in a nutshell.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-03-30, 10:20

Yeah, that's the game in a nutshell and it's really fun. The best part is getting creative on where and what you're going to build. That's when it gets downright awesome. I mean, who'd have thought to build a UFO? With invaders!? We have them thanks to 709.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-30, 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I kept wondering why you weren't playing this game. It seemed like another perfect fit for you.

Aside from what the guys above said, hit up the veeeery first post in this thread and spend a few minutes watching the first couple of YouTube tutorial videos there. It all boils down to this simple formula:

Punch trees; get wood.

Alternatively:

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Chellovek

2011-03-31, 03:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
It's not complicated at all.

1) Mine block.
2) Place block.
3) Get blowed up by creeper.

That's really the game in a nutshell.
Really you can get by with skipping steps 1 & 2

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-03-31, 05:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellovek View Post
Really you can get by with skipping steps 1 & 2

You should be able to get really good about running once you hear the fuse noise.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-03-31, 08:48

I think my favorite thing I've done with Minecraft was the day at work when the power was out all day. The people who were there stayed to clean in the dark, and quite a few of us play. I snuck around behind people in the dark and made the hissing noise. I made quite a few people jump, lol

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards

¡Damned!

2011-03-31, 10:49

According to Notch's twitter 1.4 might drop today.

Quote:
We're focusing on doing an update today, but stats and achievements are getting pushed back to the next update because they don't work.
I couldn't give a shit about stats and achievements, but I'm hoping for birch saplings. Cookies, meh, but cocoa beans might be nice (if there's the ability to grow cocoa plants, that is). Wolves though, that I'm a little excited about.

So it goes.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-03-31, 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I kept wondering why you weren't playing this game. It seemed like another perfect fit for you.
I kept on meaning to get to it but life kept intervening.

But fuck life, it's Minecraft. A rad dude gifted me a code (thx!) and so now I'm watching tutorials and trying to decide on a username.

I have a feeling I'm not going to get much done today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Aside from what the guys above said, hit up the veeeery first post in this thread and spend a few minutes watching the first couple of YouTube tutorial videos there.
I watched the first video and I'm hooked. You draw a picture of what you want to make on the crafting screen? Genius!

Now I'm learning how to make a house. It's like massively multiplayer Lego! I have been waiting for this moment my whole life.

But now my little sister wants to watch Futurama with me. I suppose that's an acceptable non-Minecraft activity.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-03-31, 12:21

Quote:
Minecraft Beta 1.4

* Added tameable wolves
* Added cookies
* Sleeping in a bed now resets your spawn position
* New Minecraft logo
* Holding shift while climbing will hang on to the ladder
* Spiders will no longer trample crops
* Lots and lots of infrastructure for Statistics lists and Achievements
Cool. Does the presence of cookies also indicate the presence of Cocoa Beans?

¡Damned!

2011-03-31, 12:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Cool. Does the presence of cookies also indicate the presence of Cocoa Beans?
So far it's been "confirmed" that cocoa beans can be found in dungeon chests - which would suck. Looks like cookies are stackable though, so there's that. Brown sheep have been introduced too, so that would alleviate some of the demand for beans.

So it goes.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-03-31, 12:40

Gah: They really need to do some more work on those items you can only find in chests. For example: how hard would it be to make a crafting recipe for saddles out of leather? (It'd give us something to make with all that leather, for a start.)

I'm going to feel bad about all those wolves falling into the passive mob trap.

For about a minute.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-03-31, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Looks like cookies are stackable though, so there's that. Brown sheep have been introduced too, so that would alleviate some of the demand for beans.
But they only heal half a heart.

Still, that means a full stack of cookies heals for 32 hearts... enough to fully heal you more than 3 times. But if cocoa is that rare then it's still kinda pointless.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

¡Damned!

2011-03-31, 12:52

They only stack to 8. Lots of pointless.

Great update Notch! Hire some fucking coders.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-03-31, 14:07

Torches can no longer be planted on trees. At least on leaves/pine needles*. Creepers just got more plentiful.

Edit: Unless on fast graphics. Can switch, place, switch back.

¡Damned!

2011-03-31, 14:44

Mushrooms in trees? Mushrooms in trees.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-31, 17:48

Server software updated to 1.4.

Also, does the game feel a bit more laggy/jittery with this update to anyone else? Even single-player mode is stuttering and dropping frames for me.

edit: Rebooted my Mac after a couple months running and it seems a little better now.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-31, 19:12

Woo! I'll have to wander out that way.

Also, this:

Quote:
* Sleeping in a bed now resets your spawn position
...is apparently broken or buggy in SMP. I slept in a bed in my house, killed myself, and reappeared at the default spawn location.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-03-31, 19:14

Dammit! That's the only feature I wanted....

Sigh.

Maybe I'll put an emergency kit chest at spawn with some iron armour/tools and weapons. You'd all have to promise to return them when you find your old stuff, though.

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-03-31, 19:58

I just avoid the whole spawn point thing by not dying. Works out quite well for me, in fact.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-03-31, 20:20

Pride comes before what, again?

*Specmode falls into lava.*

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-03-31, 21:16

I've actually been specifically avoiding lava lately for just that reason.

Says the guy who just made a 'geothermal power plant' in his own courtyard out of...you guessed it...lava.