User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Adobe Creative Suite 3.0 launches March 27!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Adobe Creative Suite 3.0 launches March 27!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-03-05, 10:14

Yay!

http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2544

I can't wait. And all the Intel-based based Mac users rejoiced. Definitely one of the big "waits", huh?

Can't wait to hear about performance on all these new Core Duo Macs...
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-03-05, 10:37

Yeah, this is exciting news. There will be a webcast at 8:30 pm UK time so I bet a lot of people over here will be watching from work. I know I will be.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-03-05, 10:52

From the article:

Quote:
Adobe has lined up half a dozen distinct bundles of the Creative Suite package that will sell at various price points, each including a different assortment of creative applications.
This has me very interested. Maybe some lower prices, or the option to get an affordable 2-3 app suite based on your needs? Some "pick and choose" options, perhaps?

Looking forward to seeing what the various offerings will be.

I've even considered bypassing InDesign and Photoshop completely and only having Illustrator (it would force me to only focus on that one app, and it would mean I could only accept freelance work of an illustration/infographic/logo design nature (which is the type of work I enjoy most).

No page layout, brochure design, etc. (I do enough of that at my real job).

In fact, I can't remember the last time I launched InDesign or Photoshop at home for serious, paying work...hmmm, all stuff I'll have to think about.
¡Damned!

2007-03-05, 11:01

I'm really curious to see how "Adobe-ized" the Macromedia apps are now. Dreamweaver and Fireworks are mentioned, but what about Flash? Will it be easier to work with? Maybe something along the lines of the old Live Motion interface? That's what's always turned me away from Macromedia apps (besides Freehand). Outstanding tech with an ungodly UI. This should be interesting.

So it goes.
beardedmacuser

2007-03-05, 11:16

Yey! When both Photoshop and Excel are Universal I can start to justify a new fancy Intel Mac! Hopefully once Leopard is released!
¡Damned!

2007-03-05, 11:31

I wonder what's in store for Photoshop? I mean, what serious functionality could they possibly add nowadays? It seems like with the last two releases there hasn't been anything truly groundbreaking introduced, so I wonder what they could bring on to entice users to upgrade. Hell, I can remember Photoshop with no layers and only 1 undo...and having time to take a shower or cook dinner while I applied a filter. Those were the days.

So it goes.
Jason
Veteran Member

2007-03-05, 11:45

This is good news for me - bad news for my Amex...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-03-05, 11:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I wonder what's in store for Photoshop? I mean, what serious functionality could they possibly add nowadays? It seems like with the last two releases there hasn't been anything truly groundbreaking introduced, so I wonder what they could bring on to entice users to upgrade. Hell, I can remember Photoshop with no layers and only 1 undo...and having time to take a shower or cook dinner while I applied a filter. Those were the days.
For me, and for what I do, I demand nothing else. If they'd simply made the CS2 Intel-native, that would've been enough for me. Call it CS3, I don't care. The one feature: it runs natively on the Intel Macs...ta-da!

I probably don't use 86% of the snazzy, trumpeted "marquee" features anyway, so they don't have to impress me by adding a bunch of other crap I'll never use. Just make it run zingy (natively) on any new Intel-based Mac I'll be buying this year, that's all.

And I don't think Office is due until late 2007...hard to believe an Office app like that takes longer to convert over than all that complex Adobe stuff (or is that more indicative of Microsoft's priorities?).

Each new Windows-dinging "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" commercial Apple releases, the new Universal Office slips back another week...I wouldn't doubt it (and I can't say I'd blame Microsoft...I'd be a bit irked too).

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-03-05, 12:13

I'm with pscates, all I really wanted out of Photoshop was it to run natively. The CS3 beta has been my answer thus far and, hopefully, when the various bundles are launched I'll be able to get a Photoshop/Dreamweaver bundle and can pull my Dreamweaver 8 out of the Rosetta era.

Website | Twitter
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-03-05, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
I'm with pscates, all I really wanted out of Photoshop was it to run natively. The CS3 beta has been my answer thus far and, hopefully, when the various bundles are launched I'll be able to get a Photoshop/Dreamweaver bundle and can pull my Dreamweaver 8 out of the Rosetta era.
God, Dreamweaver is awful over Rosetta. It used to be my favorite tool, but I've completely stopped using it since I bought an Intel Mac. I don't own Photoshop yet, but I've been looking to buy it. I'll be keeping my eyes open for a PS/DW bundle too.

While we're on the topic, has anybody seen any academic pricing information yet? I've actually not seen any retail pricing information for CS3 yet, but I'll be buying the academic version if I get it.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-03-05, 14:15

Yeah, I haven't seen any pricing period. No retail, academic or upgrade (which is what I'm looking forward to). Hopefully bits of information, like price and bundle options, will be released prior to the March 27 unveil.

Website | Twitter
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-03-05, 17:45

I only skimmed over the thread so apologies if someone already mentioned it. March 27th is not the shipping date; it's only the announcement date. It will ship "later in spring".
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-03-05, 18:14

I'm looking forward to this too. I need it for my profession now. (That still sounds strange to me I might add.) It's not just for making cell phone wallpapers anymore.

I'm really interested in seeing what the educational/academic price is on this one. That's going to determine how soon I get it! I don't mind the bugs it might have off the start either. I'll have CS2 to fall back on just incase it's bad. I can't see that though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
admactanium

2007-03-05, 22:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I'm really curious to see how "Adobe-ized" the Macromedia apps are now. Dreamweaver and Fireworks are mentioned, but what about Flash? Will it be easier to work with? Maybe something along the lines of the old Live Motion interface? That's what's always turned me away from Macromedia apps (besides Freehand). Outstanding tech with an ungodly UI. This should be interesting.
from what i've heard the majority of the adobe-izing is going to have to wait for the next version but they're doing some work on it to make it fit.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-03-05, 23:44

I'll be upgrading sometime in June... you guys go knock the bugs out for me!!

My upgrades will include:
Illustrator
Photoshop & ImageReady (does it still exist?)
Acrobat
InDesign
--
Dreamweaver
Flash
--
if GoLive still exists I'd be curious to see how it blends with Dreamweaver

I'm getting better and better at Flash's scripting language, Actionscript, and share the general curiosity at the changes to the Macromedia applications. As a longtime Adobe customer I have found Macromedia's interface "unusual".... interesting in certain ways and ass-backward in others. Hoping they made smart decisions about what to change.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-03-06, 07:41

I've read that ImageReady is being replaced by Fireworks (which I've never liked) and GoLive is being replaced with Dreamweaver in the Adobe lineup. Guess they didn't want to overlap programs.

Website | Twitter