User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Buckwheat all grown up, working at Office Max!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Buckwheat all grown up, working at Office Max!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-19, 12:08

Check your Office Max Sunday circular inserted in yesterday's paper, won't you? Behold, the re-emergence of Buckwheat.

For those who don't read papers - or already threw it away - I give you this link, featuring the same fella:

http://www.officemax.com/

If you click throughout the site, you'll see him in other poses. Apparently the new mascot? Gotta give Office Max points for being hip, but it doesn't quite work. I actually love when traditional companies attempt to "go hip". The results are, more often than not, amusing and always worth a glance.

I totally realize - and appreciate - the funkiness of hairdos in this day and age. And I totally dig them. It's just that you expect to see such outrageous do's in funky magazines, stock photo collections and youthful, cutting edge programming. I don't even blink an eye when I see a mohawk, dreadlocks or a huge afro in those settings...it makes sense.

This guy, however, just looks silly and not quite right. And he's on the front cover of the Office Max circular, bigger than life and looking funny as hell.

It's Office Max, so you've got, most likely, a decidedly non-hipster crowd thumbing through it, seeing this guy and his hair (and the facial expressions don't help). Taken out of context - and not being hip to the do's of the day - one might think they've time traveled back to the 30's and will meet Alfalfa, Spanky and Darla on ensuing pages...

I look forward to the Revco circular with the employee in the green double-mohawk, inserted with no trace of irony...

[Edit: Found the cover...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2004-07-19 at 12:25.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-07-19, 12:35

That guy was on their tv ad too, delivering office supplies to 'Rubberband Man'. Way funny.
HOM
The Elderâ„¢

2004-07-19, 12:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
That guy was on their tv ad too, delivering office supplies to 'Rubberband Man'. Way funny.
By The Spinners.

Love the ad, hate the company and store.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-19, 12:46

Oh, I haven't seen a commercial on TV for it. I'll keep an eye out. It just struck me as funny when I saw it yesterday.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-19, 13:27

Personally I would like to see Lumpy as the Office Max mascot of choice.