Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

12in iBook vs. Powerbook

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
12in iBook vs. Powerbook
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
porter

2004-09-07, 14:45

I'm looking for a new laptop, which I will probably buy early next year.

I'm looking at the 12in iBook, with 768MB RAM , 60GB HD, and other options costs $1700.

The 12in Powerbook with the combo drive similarily equipped is $2200.

Is the power difference between the 1.33G4 and the 1.0G4 models that noticible to spend $500 on it? Or am I better of getting a new iPod with that money?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-09-07, 15:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter
I'm looking for a new laptop, which I will probably buy early next year.

I'm looking at the 12in iBook, with 768MB RAM , 60GB HD, and other options costs $1700.

The 12in Powerbook with the combo drive similarily equipped is $2200.

Is the power difference between the 1.33G4 and the 1.0G4 models that noticible to spend $500 on it? Or am I better of getting a new iPod with that money?
The PowerBook's advantages are:

333 MHz in clock speed
Faster video card with double the VRAM
Native support for monitor spanning
DVI output instead of VGA output
Smaller and lighter (slightly)
Better keyboard (from what I've heard)
Superdrive option
Slightly faster bus speed and memory
Internal bluetooth and 802.11g standard
Optional 5400 RPM 80 GB hard drive (which you should definitely get if you're getting the PowerBook)

If any of these things are important to you, think about getting the PowerBook. It will be noticeably faster and useful for longer than the iBook. Also, you shouldn't be buying RAM from Apple. Going straight to Crucial's site will save you a good $100. By the way, that 5400 RPM hard drive is a biggie. It increases performance by a lot.

Personally I'd get a PowerBook because not only does it have all those things going for it, but it's also just a better made computer. I avoid iMacs and iBooks.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2004-09-07, 15:20

i prefer the ibook since it feels more durable and i prefer the white plastic to the alluminum of the pbook. but the powerbook is a better deal. bluetooth and wifi come with the powerbook by default...

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
Quagmire
meh

2004-09-07, 15:23

I think by early next year, the Pbooks and ibooks are going to be updated. So we might a see a G5(pbook) vs a G4(ibook) or a dual core G4 vs single core G4.

Even if there are no updates by the time you buy your new laptop I would go for the pbook. It will last you longer(unless you drop it and tinker with the parts). I say the only thing the ibooks have along there side is price and durability.

PS: Luca, why avoid the new imac?

giggity
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-09-07, 15:33

You will appreciate the PowerBook more over time, for sure. The build quality feels like night and day compared to the iBook, IMO. Add a better display to Luca's list of pros for the PowerBook.

They're more expensive, but totally worth it, if you ask me.

BTW, Luca has to rag on the new iMac or his souped up Power Mac won't turn him on as much. Kind of like when you're stuck with an ugly girlfriend and you try to think of reasons why that hot chick across the room "ain't all that".

Crusader

Send a message via AIM to Crusader  
2004-09-07, 15:36

The iBooks are so...big. The Powerbooks are thin and sexy.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-09-07, 15:57

porter: As others have said, the main advantages of the PowerBook are video related: double the video memory, DVI-out, and spanning/clamshell-support out of the box. Plus you get Bluetooth and AirPort built-in. Since I was planning on using my 'Book with an external LCD, Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and AirPort network, the 12-inch PowerBook was a no-brainer.

If you don't actually need all of that added functionality, there is little reason to pay extra for the PowerBook. The iBook G4 is a very nice notebook in its own right. Of course, your choices may be completely different come January.

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-09-07, 17:30

You'll probably get more longterm bang-for-the-buck with the PowerBook, for sure...all those reasons listed above are true and dead-on.

The few things the iBook might have over the PowerBook (well, one of them is definite, the other two up for debate, with recent PowerBooks out there):

1. iBook definitely more rugged and roadworthy. They're just made that way.
2. iBooks historically have tended to get stronger AirPort reception.
3. Same thing as #2, regarding battery life.

Again, that might be different now (#2 and #3) with these more recent PowerBooks. But #1 is an undisputable fact. Some research - or input from others here - could confirm or debunk #2 and #3
wretched

Send a message via AIM to wretched  
2004-09-07, 18:11

I own a 12" 1.33 ghz combodrive pBook and I'm loving it. The battery last's for around 4.30 hours depending what I'm doing and we have a wireless network installed in the house and I can get on anywhere I want in the house. I haven't had any problems, but 256 mb of ram isn't enough for me, so I ordered some more ram.

I can't compare that to an iBook because I've never owned one, but a pBook is worth the money.

Starsky: "Do it."
Think for Yourself. Question Authority
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-09-07, 19:19

I have both.
I've got a 12"PB (Rev. A, 867Mhz) and recently bought a 12" iBook.

No truly noticable difference in speed, but the PowerBook just feels better.

Get the PowerBook if you can afford it.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-09-07, 19:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
PS: Luca, why avoid the new imac?
Because I don't like non-upgradable machines, all-in-one computers, or computers made for consumers. They're built cheaper. I'd take a two year old piece of pro hardware over a brand new piece of consumer hardware. So yes, I prefer my PowerMac G4 over what the iMac G5 offers.
porter

2004-09-07, 20:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
I think by early next year, the Pbooks and ibooks are going to be updated. So we might a see a G5(pbook) vs a G4(ibook) or a dual core G4 vs single core G4.
You think a G5 will appear by next year? It seems like, after reading all the hoopla about the new iMac that cooling the G5 was something that took more than a bit of engineering prowess. If they struggled that much with the iMac, then I think we won't see a G5 laptop until June.

Damn, I knew the PB would be better- but the iBook looks cool and is cheaper. And I want the new iPod too...

Well... that's what educational discounts are for, I guess.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-09-07, 20:47

Well get the iBook! It's a great machine too. What kinds of things are you going to be using your laptop for? Perhaps the iBook makes more sense, if you're just surfing, e-mailing, writing, iTunes, etc.?

And it does travel better, if you're one to be on the go a lot!

And yes, you'd have plenty saved over for a new iPod too.
usurp

2004-09-08, 01:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader
The iBooks are so...big. The Powerbooks are thin and sexy.
the 12inch ibook and the 12inch pbook are nearly indentical in size.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-09-08, 01:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurp
the 12inch ibook and the 12inch pbook are nearly indentical in size.
Not even close. iBook is much thicker as portables go.
I own both, check the pic.

Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-09-08, 01:40

:drool: I've seen it before - but I love seeing that set-up!

Also, the cinema display and the PowerBook match quite well.
wretched

Send a message via AIM to wretched  
2004-09-08, 01:50

I think the Powerbook looks a lot cooler than the iBook. But then again... if you want an iPod... hmm... it's a tough choice, but it does depend on what you're going to use the ibook or powerboook for.

Throughout that post, I had to scroll up to look at that setup... damn.... I love that display, that's just... huge.

Starsky: "Do it."
Think for Yourself. Question Authority
usurp

2004-09-08, 05:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosferaDrew
Not even close. iBook is much thicker as portables go.
I own both, check the pic.

put them next to each other u will notice the sizes are similar. the pbook is smaller by a bit but they are basically the same.
agent302
"I'm learnding!"

Send a message via AIM to agent302  
2004-09-08, 08:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter
And I want the new iPod too...

Well... that's what educational discounts are for, I guess.
Actually, Apple's still running the Cram and Jam promo, where you get a $200 mail in rebate when you buy a laptop and an iPod through the educational store. This is on top of the already existing Edu discounts, so you can basically get an iPod for $70.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2004-09-08, 12:33

If the Powerbook didn't have DVI and spanning, there would be almost no buyers left for it. I wonder when we are going to see both features go into iBook. Every, and I mean every, Windows laptop sold has spanning. DVI, on the other hand, should appear in the iBook so that Apple can sell displays for it. The distinction between 12" PB and 12" iBook loaded with connectivity features is very, very small right now.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-09-08, 18:02

So why would you take away the PowerBook's two biggest selling points?

The iBook can span, but it's disabled for more reasons than just keeping a differentiation between it and the PowerBook (read: insufficient VRAM)

DVI isn't available on really any PC notebooks that I know of. They all have VGA, and if DVI is available, it's working its way into the current lineups very slowly. iBooks don't need DVI. Apple is assuming (and rightfully so) that if someone buys a consumer machine, they don't need a pro display.

Come waste your time with me
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

2004-09-09, 01:18

Quote:
put them next to each other u will notice the sizes are similar. the pbook is smaller by a bit but they are basically the same.
Of course they're similar! They're both 12 inchers.
The point I'm trying to make (and you seem to not understand) is that the PowerBook is almost a half inch thinner and when you take your computer with you everywhere, that size difference is quite noticable.
usurp

2004-09-09, 01:36

Dude i didnt say they were identical. I said they were similar. Which means that if you bought one or the other there isnt much difference. Check what i wrote and take a chill pill.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

2004-09-09, 01:58

OK dude.
Lemme try once more.

I ride my bike everywhere. In my backpack, you'll find lots of stuff.
In comparing my ride to and fro with my iBook or my PowerBook in my fully stuffed backback (here it comes, concentrate!) there really is a difference because the PowerBook is almost a half inch thinner than the iBook.

You saying that "there isn't much difference" is proven wrong in my case.
¿Comprende?
usurp

2004-09-09, 04:00

There is 0.17 inches difference in height.
If to you thats is a lot of difference then good for you.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-09-09, 08:47

Quote:
There is 0.17 inches difference in height.
If to you thats is a lot of difference then good for you.
usurp: Have you actually handled (with your own hands) a 12" iBook and a 12-inch PowerBook at the same time? If you use the iBook and PowerBook side by side, stack them on top of each other, hold one in each hand, turn them around on a table side by side, etc., there is an obvious difference. That "0.17 inches difference in height" might seem small on paper. In real life, that difference is magnified in a manner that you wouldn't expect from reading the specs.

Note that I am saying this after having used a 12" iBook since they came out in May 2001, and switching to a 12-inch PowerBook (Rev.C) in July of this year. I handled the iBook and PowerBook side by side at my local Apple Store many times before placing my order. I still own both notebooks, and there is still a noticeable difference when I hold one in each hand.

As important as specs are, nothing beats a real-life physical comparison with your very own hands. I hate to flog a dead horse, but in this case it seems still to be alive.

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
usurp

2004-09-09, 12:40

my brother has a 12inch powerbook and i have a 12inch dead ibook.
once again, i didnt say they were identical i said they were similar.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-09-09, 12:53

usurp: You say they're "similar." Others see an undeniable and significant difference. I guess we're arguing over semantics then, like so many times in the past.

What's intersting is that to you the iBook and PowerBook were similar enough for you to choose the less expensive iBook. For your brother, on the other hand, it appears that they were different enough for him to choose the PowerBook. It all depends on your needs and point of view.

Escher

usurp

2004-09-09, 13:15

i know but similar doesnt mean they are the same or that they arent different.
Similar: resembling in many respects; somewhat like; having a general likeness"

thats all i meant.

i tried to convince my brother to get an ibook since he already has a powermac. but he wouldnt budge. i actually think the powerbook is a better deal since it comes with wifi and bluetooth built in for example. But i personally prefer the ibook since i like to take my gear to the limit. the ibook feels like it could take a bashing.

sadly though my ibook past away due to a logic board problem. so dont mind me if i am here trying to protect his pride.
http://www.unex-t.com/deadbook/

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-09-09, 13:23

It's all about the PowerBook, I like the iBooks, but they honestly feel bulky in comparison to my PB. The 14" is a monster. I'd take the 15" PB over the 14" iBook, even if they were the same speed and everything. I like compactness, the ability to take it anywhere. I really think the 12" PB is the sweet spot there.

Granted, the iBooks are great computers, I wouldn't mind owning one, and I would if I hadn't bought the PowerBook, but I really do notice a difference between the 12" PB and the 12" iBook.

Come waste your time with me