User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Car Insurance

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: The best insurance company is ...
Allstate 0 0%
Geico 3 16.67%
Progressive 1 5.56%
State Farm 3 16.67%
Other 4 22.22%
They all suck. 7 38.89%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Car Insurance
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-07-22, 14:03

Im looking for a new car insurance, for the reasons detailed below. The obvious choice in terms of cost seems to be Geico, but looking around the interwebs, I find all kinds of horror stories. Of course, the same is true for most other insurance companies. So I'm wondering if you guys here can give me an idea which insurance I can trust, and which will not try to screw me over when I have an accident.

I also need fairly comprehensive coverage, because I am leasing the car. Do you think that this has a bearing on how nicely the insurance company behaves? I.e., would the leasing company try to armtwist them into paying if there was a claim?

Here's the background: I am not an American, and have only been here less than a year. I've had my Austrian driver's license for about 13 years now, but only got my NC one a few months ago. I need the insurance company to take that into account, otherwise the premiums are just outrageous. Also, my girlfriend is going to get her driver's license soon, and she will have to be added to the policy without the premium going through the roof. This doesn't seem to be possible with my current insurance company, which is why I am looking for a new one.

Thank you for your help!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-07-22, 14:08

I've been with State Farm for 20 years. A couple of minor claims, always handled quickly and cleanly. I've never had a problem with them until moving up to NY, when they screwed up the insurance transfer between offices... grr... but once it was brought to their attention, they jumped right on it and fixed it.

I don't know if they're the *best*, but I've found them to be at least price-competitive, and certainly responsive and courteous.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-07-22, 16:37

I've used progressive in the past and Allstate now. Fortunately, I've never had to make a claim (knocks on wood) so I can't speak to which is "best". I do think that progressive has it right with their website. It's very easy to make changes, etc. I have Allstate now because they do our homeowner's insurance and give us a nice discount by having multiple policies.
hiltond

Send a message via AIM to hiltond  
2006-07-27, 03:13

I have good news. I switched to Geico and saved a lot of money on my car insurance.

No seriously. My bill went from $2200 to $800. I laugh to myself when I pay the $75 dollars a month.

I have never filed a claim with them, but I find it is best not to file claims. If you get into an acident it seems the compant will raise your rates for years. It doesn't matter if it is your fault or not. Let us say that someone tried to pass you on the right (illegal) while you were making a right hand turn into your driveway (dumb), guess whos rates go up. Just pick the cheapest policy because whatever happens you are going to get screwed. Good luck.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-07-27, 03:35

And the winner is 'teh all sukc'..
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2006-07-27, 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiltond
I have good news. I switched to Geico and saved a lot of money on my car insurance.
I really dig the AIG commercials as well.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-27, 14:11

Over the years, I think I've had a few: Geico, Progressive, All State (20 years ago), etc. I guess they were okay, but I always felt like I was paying through the nose with a few of them.

Right now I'm with USAA (have been for about four years straight now), who is also my credit union (a military type deal, so not open to civilians or non-dependents). Got on with them via my wife, of course, and even though we're no longer married, it's a "once a member, always a member" type of deal (as is Navy Federal, another credit union I have as backup and have been a part of for about 12 years now).

And BY FAR the lowest insurance rates I've ever had, beating all the above companies soundly AND offering friendly service (I also have renters/property insurance with them). Not had to file a car claim, but recently had some lightning damage a couple of TVs and stuff. It was painless and there were on the ball.

A lot of retired military amongst their ranks, it seems. Frankly, it's the most dialed-in, professional (but still friendly and non-intimidating) outfit I've ever dealt with. Courteous, helpful, no surly twits or gum-smacking airheads manning the customer service phones, etc.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2006-07-27 at 14:18.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-07-27, 14:15

^^

x2.