User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Help me choose what I'm going to be when I grow up.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Help me choose what I'm going to be when I grow up.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-09-29, 12:44

Ok, so here I am at 33 and I have little idea what I want to be when I grow up. I've been an electronics technician my whole life and I do enjoy working on electronic systems and all that goes into repairing and troubleshooting them. I quit my job last year and attended college for a year with my major being Photography. I love photography but have just decided that while I love it now, it would become another job if I did it full time. I'd turn into the studio photographers at JC Penny's and Sears. All creativity would fade and I would soon hate that job. I just can't do this to myself nor my love for photography.

So after some true internal searching there is only one thing that has always stuck with me is working with computers. I love working with computers. I'm a geek and I know it. I am currently working a retail job () because I've taken this semester off so I don't have to continue down a degree path I know I'm only going to use for personal pleasure.

So here's where the help comes in. I love working with computers but it's such a broad field that I don't know which direction to head in training. I enjoy both the hardware and software side of computers/networking. I enjoy repairing internal components and also correcting software issues that most users just can't work through on their own (help desk kind of things). I've never had "formal" training in computers, just using them all the time has give me a lot of OJT. I also know how to research and find answers when I have no clue because I'm pretty good with critical thinking skills.

I'm not a designer and I know it. So web design is just not for me. I can't see me spending a whole lot of time laying out a web page. When I was 17 I enjoyed coding in C++, but that was more modifying code than creating code. I always loved seeing the result of a bunch of code turning into a valid running .exe file.

I have been working with a non-profit group running two podcasts and doing some back end web development stuff like modifying a web site and building new features into it. I like this side of things too. Seems that I am not as much of the creative side of making programs and sites as much as I'm into modifying what's already been established. I'm sure once I've been trained I can create from scratch. I also run a couple of web pages for myself and family and this is pretty enjoyable too.

I really enjoy mixing the podcasts with opening and closing and then getting them up on the web for our subscriber base. This just doesn't seem like a full time job though.

In general, I enjoy anything that involves computers and problem solving/troubleshooting. What are my options out there? I don't mind going back to school at a college or tech school. I have to admit that one of my desires is to be able to be mobile and not stuck in a cubical. Since I live at the beach I want to be able to work at the boardwalk if I want to. If I choose to take my family on a road trip I want to be able to work if I want to. I don't mind a boos, but I wouldn't mind being my own boss. In fact, I'd rather be my own boss because of the flexibility that gives us. So what are some fields I should look into?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-09-29, 13:49

While it's not a beach job, it's also not exactly a cubical job- maybe you could consider working toward a network administrator position? You already did lot of that with configuring your web server, SSH'ing, etc. etc. Seem to me that you could get into this field easily (with some extra training, if needed/required) and you'd be hopping all over the place where you may work....
Fooboy

2007-09-29, 14:04

Join the navy.

zsummers
Avast!

2007-09-29, 14:34

There's a real future in plastics.

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-09-29, 15:36

Don't get a job in computers- there's no demand, in fact, I am pretty sure that demand for any type of computer related jobs will be 0 in 5 years. Mashines will have taken over the jobs of hymans by then.
zsummers
Avast!

2007-09-29, 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
Don't get a job in computers- there's no demand, in fact, I am pretty sure that demand for any type of computer related jobs will be 0 in 5 years. Mashines will have taken over the jobs of hymans by then.
Machines will become the new vaginal mucous membrane?

Yes, I know it's spelled "hymen."
Freewell

2007-09-29, 18:41

Hmm... I have never been accused of being a geek in my life, so I wouldn't know where to begin from that angle. However, when making major shifts in my life, one of the things that really helps me to sort through all the loose ends and find the missing piece of the puzzle is to discover my passion. (Keep focused now guys!) If there are several things that interest me, inevitably there will be one or two that really inspire me. For example, I am sure that Michael Angelo may have made a fabulous furniture designer, but he was passionate about painting and sculpting! For many of us, it is not a matter of finding out what we are/would likely be skilled at, but what brings us alive and fires us up!

With that in mind, what kind of computer related fields are people here on AN into (and excited about) and what do you love about what you do? It doesn't matter how 'insignificant' it may seem to others; if it truly inspires you, share it with the rest of us! I met a guy the other day who has been a mold inspector for over 35 years, and was delighted to discover that he is still excited about what he does!!! Made me feel a whole lot better about having him inspect my home after a serious water leak was discovered!

Last edited by Freewell : 2007-09-29 at 19:23.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2007-09-29, 18:49

Wow. Not grown up yet at 33. Makes me feel young.
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2007-09-29, 20:13

Do insurance, it takes very little to be licensed. Yes it is a sales job, but it pays well (choose a company where you own your own book of business) so you can do that for a few years, and have time to do what you love on the side... your photography and the such. and you can most likely retire in 5-10 years with a decent amount of money. It is sweet....
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-09-29, 23:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
While it's not a beach job, it's also not exactly a cubical job- maybe you could consider working toward a network administrator position? You already did lot of that with configuring your web server, SSH'ing, etc. etc. Seem to me that you could get into this field easily (with some extra training, if needed/required) and you'd be hopping all over the place where you may work....
I've though about this because I do so enjoy most of what goes into network administrator job descriptions. My only hold back here is the lack of flexibility in most cases. I can do it as a business though where smaller companies don't need a full time staffer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooboy View Post
Join the navy.

The thought has crossed my mind. Seriously. I just don't want to leave my family even though I love what I do/did in the Navy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewell View Post
For many of us, it is not a matter of finding out what we are/would likely be skilled at, but what brings us alive and fires us up!
Yeah, this is why I'm not really thinking of electronics. While I love troubleshooting, I'm far from passionate about it. Working with computers though, I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souflay123 View Post
Do insurance, it takes very little to be licensed. Yes it is a sales job, but it pays well (choose a company where you own your own book of business) so you can do that for a few years, and have time to do what you love on the side... your photography and the such. and you can most likely retire in 5-10 years with a decent amount of money. It is sweet....
I don't mind sales, it's what I'm doing in the retail setting right now. It's not something I'm passionate about though. IOW, I can do it very effectively but it wouldn't really make me get out of bed in the morning.

I'm thinking of something like "Help Desk" seems to be the stuff I enjoy doing. I can still do other projects on the side or even in tandem. What is the training for a help desk tech? What degree path should I seek? Most of the info I'll learn will only serve as a refresher anyway.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Akumulator

2007-09-30, 00:21

I'm 33 and don't feel like I'm grown up either.

I took a photography class in art school so I'm curious as to why you say that you'd become a Sears photographer if you pursued it. Kinda aiming low there aren't you?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-09-30, 00:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumulator View Post
I'm 33 and don't feel like I'm grown up either.

I took a photography class in art school so I'm curious as to why you say that you'd become a Sears photographer if you pursued it. Kinda aiming low there aren't you?
No, I'm not aiming low. I've shot weddings, portraits and even done some photojournalism. While I do enjoy them it's just not the same as when I'm shooting for pleasure. I haven't even done but a few shoots since the spring semester and those were portraits so I can't even post them here. My reference the Sears was more of one who does it just for a job rather than out of love of what they do. Most photographers at the department stores don't love what they do. I would be great in photography if I chose to do it for a living.

NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2007-09-30, 01:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
Ok, so here I am at 33 and I have little idea what I want to be when I grow up.
Too late - you're already there.

I've got 10 years on you and I've found that when you do the work that you enjoy, opportunities will open up to you and you will find what you're looking for. It doesn't work for everyone by any means, but it worked for me.

Put yourself in an environment where you are happy (not necessarily financially happy) and you will flourish with the people around you.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2007-09-30, 05:24

Computers and photography... how about a career combining them... in web pr0n.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2007-09-30, 06:15

Thinking about what NosferaDrew said. A large proportion of the work force are in jobs they either hate or just tolerate (big salaries help). If you can find a proffession you enjoy you will be one of the lucky ones.

I once met someone who was a bank manager and hated it, he loved railways and got a job signalling in a small signal box,(much lower salary) he loved it looked forward to getting up in the morning and going to work, as his manager at the time it was always a pleasure to visit.

I wish i had been able to feel that way about my job, it would have made a big difference.

I used to be undecided.....But now I'm not so sure.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-09-30, 13:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosferaDrew View Post
Too late - you're already there.

I've got 10 years on you and I've found that when you do the work that you enjoy, opportunities will open up to you and you will find what you're looking for. It doesn't work for everyone by any means, but it worked for me.

Put yourself in an environment where you are happy (not necessarily financially happy) and you will flourish with the people around you.
Thankfully the financial side is not important to me. I've got things covered there, but I want to do some work, but the money isn't critical. This is why I'm able to go to school or do other things while not making the job rule my life. Finding the happy place is my primary goal though. It is truly a must.
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb View Post
Computers and photography... how about a career combining them... in web pr0n.
I certainly could make a lot of money doing this, but not being able to sleep at night would just suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeriatric View Post
Thinking about what NosferaDrew said. A large proportion of the work force are in jobs they either hate or just tolerate (big salaries help). If you can find a proffession you enjoy you will be one of the lucky ones.

I once met someone who was a bank manager and hated it, he loved railways and got a job signalling in a small signal box,(much lower salary) he loved it looked forward to getting up in the morning and going to work, as his manager at the time it was always a pleasure to visit.

I wish i had been able to feel that way about my job, it would have made a big difference.
See, this is why I thought I'd ask here. I tolerate my job and even mildly enjoy working with electronics and my last salary before quitting was $52k/yr. I love solving computer issues though. Both make about the same amount of money for the most part anyway. If I were to get into Bio-Med electronics I'd be making a killing. I just love working with computers too much though.

So what jobs are there in the computer world? I would be happy with just about anything on the technical side and would loath anything on the data entry side. Just keying in info would send me to my grave early I think. However troubleshooting a program or hardware issue would really stir me. I kind like the hardware side too because the electronics that are involved.

Well, while I'm "grown up" now, I still just haven't figured out what I want to do. Some one posed the question of "When you're 70 years young and look back on your past, what is it you want to be remembered for?" Helping people with technology is the only thing that comes to mind. But then that doesn't even seem like a worthy goal for a 70 year young person. Is it because I underestimate the value of it?