Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

iPhone: 8 GB or 16 GB?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone: 8 GB or 16 GB?
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2008-07-03, 04:06

I'm probably going to buy the iPhone somewhere next month, and I'm wondering about the amount of memory I should buy.
My expectations for my own iPhone usage are that I might buy about 2 games and some simple music composing app. Ik keep about 900 MB of mail on .Mac.

People using an iPhone with 8 GB, what restrictions caused by your memory do you notice?

How do people expect the availability of 3rd party apps is going to affect the amount of memory needed.
Gizzer

2008-07-03, 06:29

I'd go 16Gb if you can afford it. My 8Gb currently has:

776 songs
52 videos (music videos, not TV shows or films)
1369 Photos

That leaves 223Mb free. As it stands, I wish I could get more of my music on there than I currently have. To add to that my expectation is that I am going to become a bit of an Application Whore and that will start eating into the rest of the RAM.

That's why I'll be buying 16Gb....
joveblue
Veteran Member

2008-07-03, 09:59

How much music/videos do you have?

I'd go 16 GB.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-07-03, 13:57

Always get the most you can afford, because if you don't, you'll wish you did.

Honestly, though, it depends on what you're doing with it. Are you going to treat it like an iPod and want to cram as much music and video on there as possible? Is it going to be a phone that has the advantages of the internet and the ability to access some media? In the first case, a 16GB makes sense. If you're mostly going to use it to make calls, check email, surf the web, and only listen to a few artists/playlists at any given time, I think the 8GB would do you fine.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-07-03, 14:04

Another vote for the 16GB. I've had an 8GB iPhone since Week 1 and it's been great, but with a growing music and photo collection and the availability of third-party apps, more space would be an improvement. (I was hoping for a 32GB model but I'll be getting the 16GB 3G iPhone sometime in July or August when I'm back in the U.S.)

Your personal use/needs aside, a 16GB model will probably have far better resale value a year or two from now when it comes time to upgrade, etc.
beardedmacuser

2008-07-03, 14:09

The choice between black 8 gig iPhone and white 16 gig iPhone is something else to consider. If you really don't want a white iPhone then it'll have to be 8 gigs, or vice versa...
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-07-03, 14:35

Actually, the 8GB is only available in black, but the 16GB will be available in black or white.
beardedmacuser

2008-07-03, 14:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
Actually, the 8GB is only available in black, but the 16GB will be available in black or white.
Ah, oops! I didn't realise that.
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2008-07-03, 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzer View Post
I'd go 16Gb if you can afford it. My 8Gb currently has:

776 songs
52 videos (music videos, not TV shows or films)
1369 Photos

That leaves 223Mb free. As it stands, I wish I could get more of my music on there than I currently have. To add to that my expectation is that I am going to become a bit of an Application Whore and that will start eating into the rest of the RAM.

That's why I'll be buying 16Gb....
Ha, I think in reality I'm going to be much like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
A 16GB model will probably have far better resale value a year or two from now when it comes time to upgrade, etc.
Interesting point - that does it.

Thanks everyone!
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2008-07-07, 04:20

I think 16 GB is a must. With downloadable software and games and movies and music, it's going to be way cluttered as is, even with variable playlists.