AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

AAPL earnings discussion - 1Q 09

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AAPL earnings discussion - 1Q 09
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2009-01-21, 16:52

I swear I saw MCQ here earlier today but no thread started yet, so here goes. AAPL beat expectations but are lowering outlook.

- Sales up to $10.17 billion from $9.6 billion last year
- Expected EPS - $1.39. They earned $1.78/share.

More details to follow when I find a press release.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-01-21, 16:52

Stock's already up 5.92%; 9.38% after hours. Live coverage at https://twitter.com/macjournals.

YOY, desktops are down 31%, portables up 23%, iPods down 16% and iPhones up… uh… 417%.

I like how Europe and Japan are up 12% and 20%, respectively.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-01-21, 16:53

For the record - I beat chucker's thread.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-01-21, 16:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
By seconds? I was surprised not to see a thread so I decided to start one. I wonder about the milliseconds difference.

Anyway, any mod care to merge these?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-01-21, 16:56

I should have taken a screen shot. Both were posted at 16:52 (my time) but yours was above mine in the forum - meaning it was more recent. Meaning mine was posted first! But that macrumors twitter link you gave is very informative. https://twitter.com/macjournals
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-01-21, 17:01

Quote:
Is this the official psychiatric way of saying nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah ?
chucker

2009-01-21, 17:05

Quote:
I should have taken a screen shot. Both were posted at 16:52 (my time) but yours was above mine in the forum - meaning it was more recent.
*nod* I believe you.

Quote:
But that macrumors twitter link you gave is very informative. https://twitter.com/macjournals
macjournals ≠ macrumors </nitpick>

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
Is this the official psychiatric way of saying nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah ?
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2009-01-21, 17:08

Impressive. I hope they can sustain this momentum into the tougher Q2 by unveiling some new toys this month.

BTW, are the 4m iPhones sold a bit on the low side? I thought estimates were quite a bit more.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-01-21, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
Impressive. I hope they can sustain this momentum into the tougher Q2 by unveiling some new toys this month.

BTW, are the 4m iPhones sold a bit on the low side? I thought estimates were quite a bit more.
Well, they sold 4.4 million and some analysts were expect 4.5 but still very close and very impressive.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-01-21, 17:28

According to a report on MacNN, iPhone numbers are disappointing. I guess people (Piper Jaffray) wanted to see 6M+ sales. Maybe this explains the recent iPhone discounts popping up around the world?
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-01-21, 17:39

Nice.

AAPL up over $11 total for the day so far, including after hours.

Hopefully this will get AAPL back up over $100.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2009-01-21, 19:33

Quote:
I swear I saw MCQ here earlier today but no thread started yet, so here goes. AAPL beat expectations but are lowering outlook.

- Sales up to $10.17 billion from $9.6 billion last year
- Expected EPS - $1.39. They earned $1.78/share.

More details to follow when I find a press release.
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/01/21results.html

Yeah, I haven't posted much (or any?) in the last few months. Been busy for a bit.

Nice earnings report! Good margins (as usual), and the adjusted earnings, 2.56! Excellent.

Their guidance is actually pretty good, not much sandbagging compared to the consensus.

Almost 26 billion in cash/short term securities... well positioned to withstand a prolonged downturn.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-01-21, 20:01

The tech stocks are saving the market!
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2009-01-21, 20:03

Definitely good to see decent growth in Europe and Japan.

I know little about finance, so I don't have much to say about that, but is it a bit worrying that just 29% of worldwide Mac sales were desktops? Is this when Apple starts to think about the sense of selling a full range of desktops?

The iPhone was probably more harmed by the economy than the Macs and iPods. Buying an iPhone ties you into a length contract with minimum monthly payments, which is exactly the thing you wouldn't want to risk if you weren't sure to have a job in a few months.

I also note that the Twitter link contains more badmouthing of netbooks by Apple. From what I've heard from netbook owners they're delighted with their purchases, with some even beginning to question the point of a larger notebook. Hardly what Apple would like us to believe, which is that customers are unhappy with them.

With today's refreshed MacBook White and this silly anti-netbook chat, it looks like Apple has no plans to try something here for probably at least a year.

Last edited by Dorian Gray : 2009-01-21 at 20:15. Reason: Added thought about iPhone
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-01-21, 20:30

I think the anti-netbook talk is just laying the groundwork for pimping their own. "All the other guys did it wrong. Ours does it right!" It'd be a harder sell if they praised the current models out there.

This is precisely what they did with music players and cell phones prior to their entry to the market. And we know how that turned out.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2009-01-21, 21:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
I know little about finance, so I don't have much to say about that, but is it a bit worrying that just 29% of worldwide Mac sales were desktops? Is this when Apple starts to think about the sense of selling a full range of desktops?
That is a pretty drastic shift in product mix towards notebooks, though I think it's primarily a function of the recently updated notebook line, and the complete lack of attention to the iMac. It's in desperate need of a refresh.

I think once Apple refreshes the iMac (hopefully with something competitive like they did with the $999 white Macbook today), the mix will shift back closer to 60% notebook / 40% desktop.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-01-21, 21:10

Quote:
I think the anti-netbook talk is just laying the groundwork for pimping their own. "All the other guys did it wrong. Ours does it right!" It'd be a harder sell if they praised the current models out there.

This is precisely what they did with music players and cell phones prior to their entry to the market. And we know how that turned out.
That's very true. They've certainly done that sort of thing in the past, and then, when everyone least expects it (or has finally given up hope), they come out with their own take on (and manage to make the others look like complete dogs in the process because they implement such simple, "well of course!" features or enhancements).

But, in my gut, I don't think it'll happen. In their eyes, I believe they see something like the MacBook Air (not in price, but in "smallness" and full features/keyboard and roomy display, in that space). I often just think we might need to give up the idea - regardless of the economy - that Apple is ever going to play in that ~$500 sandbox when it comes to Macs (even a new mini, based on the Unibody MacBook guts, will probably go up $100 in price and sell for $699).

It just doesn't seem like them (unless they underwent a huge philosophical shift).

But they don't seem to be fans of "stripping" or dumbing-down their products. They seem to like the whole enchilada (nice display, full-size keyboard, etc.). And if you asked an Apple exec about a netbook, chances are you'd get a pat, scripted "well, we have the thinnest, lightest notebook on the planet with a full-size keyboard..." response.

Nevermind that it's $1,000 more than the person asking the question was looking to spend...

But that's Apple.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2009-01-21, 21:10

So what happened to chucker's thread.. I liked that one.

Great results.

I also liked Tim Cook's response to questions about SJ.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2009-01-21, 22:16

I think Apple will eventually enter this market. Not too long ago Apple had what you might consider netbook-ish in the highly popular 12" G4 PB. Although not as svelte as the current MBA, it's squarish dimensions made it quite compact.

You would think utilizing the manufacturing know-how from the MBA, Apple could bring something down to 11" and still retain a full or decent sized keyboard. Discontinue the MBA since it's pretty much the same size as a MB. Price this new MBA mini below that of a MB, at $800-$900 and I think it would sell.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2009-01-21, 22:18

Actually, based on similar past comments made by Apple I wouldn't be surprised if they launch one next week...

/offtopic
On batteries I would rather they sold me a 17" with a 1 hour battery and a PSU inside.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt