Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

AAPL Earnings Q4

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AAPL Earnings Q4
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2009-10-19, 15:08

Tell me, how many shares or the % of your portfolio it takes? How scared were you waiting after market? Earnings are so just the roll of the dice. Right now I'm shitting myself man, SHITTING MYSELF!

Man I need a smoke...

Retired 8 years ahead of schedule.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2009-10-19, 15:10

No thread yet? Sheesh, you guys are SLACK!

What do we think? I haven't seen the numbers yet but I expect AAPL to surprise again.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-10-19, 15:24

In one account, would you believe 100% AAPL?

I plunked some windfall money into it when I was an undergrad, and just let it sit.

Considering I bought it at ~7 split-adjusted, I don't think that's too bad...

Ought to make a nice house down payment sometime soon.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-10-19, 15:32

I still have seen the press release, but something's out there - AAPL up $7+ in after hours.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-10-19, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosus View Post
Tell me, how many shares or the % of your portfolio it takes?
Enough stock to buy a nice specced-out MacBook Pro or two from earnings alone.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-10-19, 15:36

Threads merged!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-10-19, 15:37

- 3.05 million Macintosh® computers
- 10.2 million iPods
- 7.4 million iPhones

- quarterly profit of $1.67 billion, or $1.82 per diluted share
- revenue of $9.87 billion

3 million Macs! Almost $10 billion in revenue! Wow.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-10-19, 15:41

And to think it feels like just yesterday that breaking the "1 million Mac" wall seemed unfathomable. Good times! Good times.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-10-19, 15:41

Holy crap! AAPL is up $12+ in afterhours. Unbelievable. My eyes literally widened when I saw that after hours jump. And I'm a therapist so not much makes my eyes widen any more.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-10-19, 15:42

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/10/19results.html

46% earnings increase.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2009-10-19, 16:07

Crazy numbers. No recession there!
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-10-19, 16:13

Good sign for Apple and the broader economy.
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2009-10-19, 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Good sign for Apple and the broader economy.
What's good for Apple is good for America!
cosus
Veteran Member

2009-10-19, 16:24

And Half my portfolio was AAPL. Four hundred shares @ $168. I would buy more things I actually own instead of going the way of never buying anything I have an affinity for. :/

The other half is GS @ $90, otherwise I really just daytrade and today I cleaned out my portfolio. My retirement fund is just AAPL and a fuckton of ETFs.

I really hate mutual funds man. Anyone on that one with me?

Retired 8 years ahead of schedule.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-10-19, 16:30

Awesome. They just keep going up and up. Seems like every quarter, when these things are released and talked about, the kicker is "our most profitable quarter ever". That's been the case now, for, what...a couple of years now?

They're a steamroller, baby.

One thing that jumped out at me, reading the article at AppleInsider:

Quote:
"We are thrilled to have sold more Macs and iPhones than in any previous quarter," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "We've got a very strong lineup for the holiday season and some really great new products in the pipeline for 2010."
Should we take that to mean "everything's been updated and set..." (in other words, no new, redesigned iMacs or other models - not even minor "bump" updates - until after the new year)?

I'm hoping they'll capitalize on this popularity and momentum and release updated consumer Macs to take advantage of the November/December shopping frenzy, and really move some merchandise!

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-19, 16:37

That's what I was wondering too Paul. But I guess if they wanted to wait until next year I'd be okay with that.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-10-19, 16:41

I hope he was just talking in general (or not tipping his hand at the updates coming tomorrow).

I wish.
ime_NY

2009-10-19, 17:11

So anyone here still have AAPL shares circa 1996-97?

What can Apple do to make sure Q1 of 2010 will be the most profitable quarter ever up that date? Will spec bumps be enough to keep momentum rolling? Perhaps the end of AT&T exclusivity? Announcement of the oft-rumored iTablet for a June '10 release?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-10-19, 17:15

*raises hand*
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-19, 17:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ime_NY View Post
What can Apple do to make sure Q1 of 2010 will be the most profitable quarter ever up that date? Will spec bumps be enough to keep momentum rolling?
New MacBook Air, with SSD standard, 4GB of RAM, i7 processors, and a glass trackpad, and maybe (maybe!) a glass OLED display? And a thinner enclosure, of course.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-10-19, 17:34

Doesn't the adamo ship with SSD standard? I think it's about time the Air start selling with SSD as the baseline.
ime_NY

2009-10-19, 17:34

That's awesome, kickaha! I hope the stock quadruples in value in 2010.
noleli2

2009-10-19, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ime_NY View Post
So anyone here still have AAPL shares circa 1996-97?
Heh. Me, too. Only 65 shares, but 4.17, split-adjusted.

Just remember: "Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful." When to get out…?
¡Damned!

2009-10-19, 18:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I hope he was just talking in general (or not tipping his hand at the updates coming tomorrow).

I wish.
Wouldn't that just be a donkey-punch though? On Monday they exceed all expectations financially, then on Tuesday it's "Oh, by the way, here's some new kick-ass product in time for Santa to load them up on his sled."

Windows what?

So it goes.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-10-19, 18:25

I've been thinking about that too noleli2 - "what's next for Apple?" If they hit a steady-growth state, *great*! But how many more industry changers can they pull out of their hat?

iPod/iTunes: revamped music. This one's maturing.
iPhone: (kinda) revamped phones. This one isn't done, but isn't guaranteed.

What's next? Publishing?

Technologically, I think LightPath is exciting, and the timing of it is interesting (Q1 2010). Between that and DisplayPort, they're really condensing peripheral IO to something tiny and power-frugal, while still providing performance that current desktops are hard pressed to match. (Toss in Peer to Peer WiFi (again, 2010) and suddenly it's a very different ballgame between the three techs.)

The question is if they're too far ahead. Again.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-10-19, 18:27

I'd love it beyond words.

This financial news is making all the news networks and website's "main stories" sections! That's publicity and attention you can't put a price on. Everyone's buzzing about these numbers, it seems.
Eugene
careful with axes

2009-10-19, 18:55

I wish Apple could/would do something with its $34B in cash. No companies to invest in or buy? Pay dividends to shareholders...something. What company needs that big of a nest egg, especially when it's not bleeding during a recession?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I'd love it beyond words.

This financial news is making all the news networks and website's "main stories" sections! That's publicity and attention you can't put a price on. Everyone's buzzing about these numbers, it seems.
Well analyst predictions were higher than Apple's actual performance, so buzz is an appropriate term I guess... It's definitely not major-epic news...
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-10-19, 18:58

The "when to get out" question is one that I've often had.

We recently bought a house. We asked ourselves if we should put more down or sell some AAPL?

Do we move some of the AAPL into a fund or keep it in the stock?

Right now we're buying a car. Does it make sense to finance it or pay for it outright by selling some AAPL?

Everytime the answer has been to hold on to the AAPL. and so far we've been right.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-10-19, 19:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Well analyst predictions were higher than Apple's actual performance, so buzz is an appropriate term I guess... It's definitely not major-epic news...
I'm just seeing it on the front page of all the mainstream news sites. That's something I don't see all the time. Outfits beyond the usual Mac geek/news/analysis sites seem to see it as a interesting or newsworthy enough to put on their homepages in the current/main story listings.

Those numbers are impressing someone in these news organizations (or, as I've long suspected, they simply watch each other and take their cues from their competitors).

"Hey, CNN has them in the number two spot on the homepage...we better put something up there about it too!"

BTW, I just cruised/scanned through a few sites that an average joe might go to for financial news and info and every one mentions how Apple outperformed or "blew past" analyst predictions. Maybe that's why it's getting such play? Nowhere did I see "analyst predictions were higher than Apple's actual performance".

CNN: "Apple Inc. said Monday that record sales of Macintosh computers and iPhones lifted its quarterly profit and revenue, which trounced Wall Street's forecasts."

CBS MarketWatch: "Apple Computer handily beats Wall Street estimates for fourth-quarter earnings, helped by sales of its iPhone and Macbooks."

CNBC: "Apple shares leaped to an all-time high in late trading Monday as the company reported a profit and sales that rose from last year and blew past analysts' forecasts."

Or were we talking more about Mac-centric sites/analysts and their predictions (vs. mainstream/Wall Street/business types?). I'm not sure what you're referring to. It looks like Apple did better than everyone was saying...not worse.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2009-10-19 at 20:04.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-10-19, 19:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post

Where are you getting your facts? Apple beat the consensus estimates from everything I've read.