User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Steve Jobs at Apple town hall meeting talks about Google, Adobe, next iPhone, etc.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Steve Jobs at Apple town hall meeting talks about Google, Adobe, next iPhone, etc.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-31, 15:31

Surprised nobody has posted this yet. It's interesting on a couple of levels (1. It's Steve talking about all the Google stuff and this Adobe Flash business, 2. It's Steve talking about what's ahead in 2010).

The story is at MacRumors, and originating from Wired.

Jobs on Google:

Quote:
On Google: We did not enter the search business, Jobs said. They entered the phone business. Make no mistake they want to kill the iPhone. We won’t let them, he says.
On Adobe:

Quote:
Apple does not support Flash because it is so buggy, he says. Whenever a Mac crashes more often than not it’s because of Flash. No one will be using Flash, he says. The world is moving to HTML5.
The goodies (corroborated via other submissions, according to MacRumors):

Quote:
- Apple will deliver aggressive updates to iPhone that Android/Google won't be able to keep up with
- iPad is up there with the iPhone and Mac as the most important products Jobs has been a part of
- Regarding the Lala acquisition, Apple was interested in bringing those people into the iTunes team
- Next iPhone coming is an A+ update (Yay! - Paul)
- New Macs for 2010 are going to take Apple to the next level
- Blu-Ray software is a mess, and Apple will wait until sales really start to take off before implementing it.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-01-31, 17:46

Quote:
And it is, of course, in keeping with Google’s stated view (Android app marketplace notwithstanding) that the future is really in web-based applications and not in mobile apps at all. Web-based applications of the sort html5 makes much more viable.
I think this is the fundamental issue that Google and Apple are fighting over. It seems that if Apple has its way, there might not be a web, just apps. As I said in the other thread, I'm not a fan of going down that road. It's almost like going back to the Prodigy/AOL days where you have this internet "gatekeeper" mentality.
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2010-02-01, 10:12

On a side note: Steve is appearing to be in top condition again!

Apart from that, doesn't speculation about what 'next level' Macs might look like belong in a different section?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-02-01, 10:52

When it's part of this overall, generalized story, mentioned in passing? No.

I guess if we got into a long, multi-post discussion about specifics (specs, design, etc.), then yeah. But that hasn't happened. It's about his overall comments (of which the "2010 Macs" was a small part).

But I'll leave that for Brad to decide. It's his house...I just play in the yard.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-02-01, 10:55

Eh, sure. Thread split!
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2010-02-01, 17:24

I must admit that Apple seems to be heading down the road on becoming more Anti-Google. I wonder if this map company they have bought will replace Google Maps?? I did think in the iPad keynote that Steve made a point of saying that the Map programme uses Googles back-end, so therefore it sounded like everything was ok there.

Do Google really want to kill the iPhone??? Not so sure, but they have certainly made big steps into limiting its success or at least competing for the same customer base. I think both companies realise that hardware and software are intertwined and that the really benefits are when you "control" both. I honestly believe that Google will end up doing the same with computers as it has done with Android and the Google Phone. You'll end up with a Chrome OS Google PC/Laptop/Pad thingy.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-02-01, 17:55

Apple vs. Google is the new Apple vs. Microsoft is the new Apple vs. IBM. Notice a pattern? For being the perpetual underdog, Apple seems to last.

Few would argue that Apple is an underdog today. Not in the sectors that matter. Microsoft, however, seems primed for a rough decade. They won't go extinct, but...well, IBM is hardly relevant to consumer technology any more, either.

I think Google "gets" some things that Microsoft never understood. And they have an ace up their sleeves, which is "free." But I think Apple will still profitably provide a better experience to all but the most unwilling to pay for it. And those aren't people cares about, anyway.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2010-02-01, 19:11

Well I'm not so sure Blu-ray is quite the mess Jobs' claims. Maybe at a software level but then again Apple's entry into this field isn't exactly the shining example. We just got iTunes LP and Extras but I'm still not seeing where I should forgo on discs for downloads. There needs to be more "wow factor"

Google isn't trying to kill the iPhone they're just attempting to generate more billion dollar revenue categories and thus encroaching into other vendor areas. It's the nature of the beast.

Flash needs to go bye bye. It's a good technology for developers that have been flaky for me. Click2Flash has made me a happy man and that speaks volumes about where I stand with Flash.

Good to see more HTML5 stuff coming. Today it's SublimePlayer from Jilion

http://blog.jilion.com/2010/01/25/in...g-sublimevideo

I'm still thinking Apple would benefit from offering a Dreamweaver competitor that really delivers an outstanding HTML5 authoring enviroment to spur its use.

omgwtfbbq
joveblue
Veteran Member

2010-02-01, 20:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikstar101 View Post
Do Google really want to kill the iPhone???
From Daring Fireball:
Quote:
And one DF-reading little birdie emailed to say that while the gist is right, the Wired transcript is clearly paraphrased: “He actually said ‘teams at Google want to kill us.’ He never said it in a way that made it sound like the whole company did. Mostly just the Android team.”
drewprops
Space Pirate

2010-02-03, 01:15

And now comes the return fire as Adobe's CTO Defends Flash Against Apple HTML5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Lynch
Some point to HTML as eventually supplanting the need for Flash, particularly with the more-recent developments coming in HTML with version 5. I don’t see this as one replacing the other, certainly not today nor even in the foreseeable future. Adobe supports HTML and its evolution, and we look forward to adding more capabilities to our software around HTML as it evolves. If HTML could reliably do everything Flash does, that would certainly save us a lot of effort, but that does not appear to be coming to pass.
But as we've discussed elsewhere, this article supports the likelihood that Adobe will move where the developer market goes.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter