Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Bathroom repair question

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Bathroom repair question
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2010-07-12, 09:32

It looks like at least one of our bathroom walls is rotted. The tiles in the tub/shower are caving in. We have three companies scheduled to come out and give us estimates this week, but I was wondering if there's a way I can figure out how much to budget for this. We don't have a whole lot of spare money laying around, but obviously, we need to get this fixed before it gets even worse. Do I just wait till I get the estimates and work from there or should I have an idea already in mind? This is the first time we've had to do major repairs that couldn't be handled by family (we have an electrician and a plumber in my husband's family), so I'm really at a loss. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2010-07-12, 10:36

If it's rotting, there might be a good chance of a leak or water getting in somehow to the area. This might be one of those things where you won't really know the full extent of the damage until you get the area tore down.

Will you have to replace the tub? If it is just the wall and tile, that wouldn't be a very expensive fix IF you don't have to move or replace the tub. It would just require some 2x4's, plywood, drywall, tile, and grout, along with little things like chalk, screws, ect.

Unfortunately with something like you're describing, it tends to be worse then it really appears because by the time you notice it, there's usually other areas affected or need the work too.

Good luck.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-07-12, 10:57

Getting the three estimates is good, I think. If one of them is way higher (or lower) than the others, that gives you something to think about and perhaps investigate. And just make sure those people (and, of course, whoever you eventually go with) are on-the-level and do quality work.

Finding a good contractor/carpenter/remodel guy is like finding a good mechanic. Because it's those other fools who give the trade and industry such a bad name sometimes.

Get everything in writing, insist on being told exactly what it being encountered, what is going to be the approach to fix it (and why), etc. I think the worst thing many people do is bring some one in, and as long as they have a truck with a sign on it (and a bunch of tools in the back, and they walk-the-walk/talk-the-talk), they just feel comfortable with "turning them loose" and trusting them.

Uh...no.

I have two friends locally, on separate occasions, take a real "whatever..." hands-off approach and it bit them hard. They got mixed up with some real class-A clowns and know-nothings, and it turned into a horror show...cost overruns, a one-week job taking 4-5, codes violated (or ignored), etc.

It's your house, your bathroom and, ultimately, your hard-earned money. Make them work for it as hard as you have. No half-ass patches or "it'll be good enough and by the time it fails, she'll have forgotten all about us" types. Check all your local places to check (BBB, etc.), ask to speak to previous clients and homeowners, etc.

If someone does good, quality work and takes pride in doing so (and how he treats customers), he'll have no problem with this. Think about it...why would someone be opposed to letting a new customer talk to old ones?

Exactly. Run!

I watch "Holmes on Homes" too much...I tend to think everyone is a shady, inept crook until proven otherwise.

It's so easy for some unethical nimrod to talk a bunch of crap and overwhelm inexperienced, non-trade homeowners with jargon and lingo and put on a front of a "qualified, experienced contractor/carpenter" when they're anything but.

Do serious work, checking and fact-finding on your end first - before the first hammer is swung.

Then keep an iron pipe or baseball bat around and administer daily beatings to keep everyone on track.
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2010-07-12, 11:07

Thanks. I think the tub should be ok, but yeah, I'm terrified that we're going to find all sorts of things have gone wrong. The leak is probably coming from the wooden-framed window that's in the shower. I don't know who thought that was a good idea - I've been putting sealant on it and stuff, but it's not enough. We had been planning to get that taken care of, but now just isn't the best time (I don't get paid during the summer, and our furnace died in March, so we're a bit strapped).

And yeah, I plan to keep investigating these guys. I got all the names from Angie's List, and read all the reviews, so that helps, but I know that's not the end of the story. I'm suspicious of all contractors too - I've heard so many horror stories! Hopefully this turns out ok.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-07-12, 11:11

Cool. Good luck! Pics! I love seeing before/during/after stuff.

I document all the things my Mom and Dad, and a couple of other friends, have done to their houses in recent years (kitchen remodels, bathroom redo, landscaping, deck/patio rebuild, hardwood flooring, new paint colors in various rooms, sodded yard, new picket fence, two backyard privacy fences, carport, paver walkways, etc.), plus the two places I've had a direct hand in redoing (tile, plumbing, paint, flooring, etc.). It's always fun to go back and look at how something used to be (especially after a year or two) and admire the change. I know your bathroom situation is more structural, but still...you might like to have a record (for all kinds of reasons) down the road.

1/4 of my iPhoto library is a like an HGTV show.

I'm lucky in that between my Dad, former father-in-law, uncle and brother-in-law (as well as stepfather and grandpa, who have both since passed), I've been surrounded by really capable, talented folks who know a lot about lots of things. My Dad's background is plumbing and pipefitting, my former father-in-law is pretty much the Southern version of Norm Abram or Tom Silva , my uncle knows motors and mechanical things, as well as electrical, etc. I've been lucky and have never had to look far for help or advice on most household-related tasks.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2010-07-12 at 11:22.
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2010-07-12, 18:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naderfan View Post
Thanks. I think the tub should be ok, but yeah, I'm terrified that we're going to find all sorts of things have gone wrong. The leak is probably coming from the wooden-framed window that's in the shower. I don't know who thought that was a good idea - I've been putting sealant on it and stuff, but it's not enough. We had been planning to get that taken care of, but now just isn't the best time (I don't get paid during the summer, and our furnace died in March, so we're a bit strapped).

And yeah, I plan to keep investigating these guys. I got all the names from Angie's List, and read all the reviews, so that helps, but I know that's not the end of the story. I'm suspicious of all contractors too - I've heard so many horror stories! Hopefully this turns out ok.
I had an issue where the shower pan had developed a leak through the tile and it was discovered when it made it's way through to the outer wall in terms of leaks/dampness.

It was a $2000 job.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2010-07-12, 19:10

Whatever you do, don't leave it, it will only get worse and end up costing more in the long run.

Best of luck.
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2010-07-12, 20:31

Well the first guy came today and did a quick look. He's more of a plumber, so his partner is coming in tomorrow to give us a better estimate. However, with the window and everything, he said we're probably looking at a $5000 job. The other people are coming at the end of the week, so we'll see where things go.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-07-12, 21:45

First, sign up for Angie's List. A couple of wise fellows enlightened me on this a week or so ago in the patio thread. Looking through it seems like you can get a TON of good information about who is a reliable contractor and who is shit, and who provides good value for the money.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2010-07-20, 11:29

Alright, well, we've finally chosen a company to do the work. Good reviews, good recommendations, good price, etc. We're going to just go whole hog and redo the entire bathroom - since one complete wall and parts of two others are rotted and would need to be torn out and we're going to have to get financing to do it, we decided we might as well just do the whole thing at once.

What's the protocol though for the other people we didn't hire? Should I call them and say we went with someone else? Do I have to explain why? And am I total coward if I call after hours and leave a message? There was one guy in particular who was really pushy and I have no desire to listen to him try to re-sell me or badger me about why I went elsewhere.

On the bummer side, they won't be able to start work for another month or two, but that does at least give us time to get the financial side figured out.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2010-07-20, 11:42

I think you're fine to call after hours, but you should call.

Angie's list rules for local contractors, and avoiding one bad contractor can cover years worth of Angie's list fees.

I love them.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2010-07-20, 11:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
I think you're fine to call after hours, but you should call.

Angie's list rules for local contractors, and avoiding one bad contractor can cover years worth of Angie's list fees.

I love them.
Cool that's what I was thinking.

And yeah, I'm very glad we signed up for Angie's list. Made me feel a lot better about the whole thing.