User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Official: Little Things that Rule™ thread.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Official: Little Things that Rule™ thread.
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-02-10, 16:01

So as I go about my daily business recently, I start to notice little things (i.e. things that don't amount to much in the grand unified theory of life, origins and beer) that make my sometimes hum-drum days worth living. For instance:

Cape Cod Sea Salt and Cracked Pepper Chips

Puppies that hang over the back of the sofa (picture coming later), just when you're sure they're going to make your head asplode.

A good digital camera

Amazon
(a big place but a purveyor of many little things I buy).

TiVO (I don't own one, yet I still know they rule... that's how cool TiVO is)

Dashboard widgets (ditto)

Z i n g o s
(I'll give you a link , but don't say I didn't warn you. Once you partake of the fruit, should you ever be parted from them later you will need a detox program to bring you back from the abyss.)

Krackel Bars

Marie Callendar's frozen dinners (KITTEH THATS MAH POT-PAH!)

Gas pumps that take credit cards.

Puppies that wag their entire back end instead of their tails alone.

Mute buttons

Boone Boards and push-pins

Pens that actually feel good to write with (wait for it....here it comes...)

Flannel sheets when it's freezing outside

Slim CD cases instead of the big clunky things

Planar desk speakers

Edy's Grand Light Ice Cream
(Half the artery-clogging goodness of your regular ice cream with all the same great tastes)

V e l l u m Magazine (derrrrr, which way did she go George, which way did she go?)

Satellite Info Button

Home-made Kettle Chips with Gorgonzola sauce

[I cannot in good conscience start and end this thread with potato chips so I give you... Freefall.

That's about all for now... you know what to do from here.

...into the light of a dark black night.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-02-10, 16:16

- Fierce Berry Gatorade

- A soft "r"-dropping Southern accent by a girl with a slightly husky voice (don't knock it 'til you've been there)

- a good Blimpie tuna

- Old Spice bodywash

- Waking up, looking at your alarm and realizing it's only about 1:48am and you still have another six or so hours to sleep (can I get an "amen" on that one?)

- Hitting all greenlights on the way home, realizing you shaved a good 13 minutes off your commute

- Sitting down with nothing to do or watch, and having one of your favorite movies ever starting on USA or TNT in about six minutes

- That double-take eye contact in a Barnes & Noble or Target, just to let you know "yeah, I'm creeping up on 40, but I still gots it!"

- Phil Hendrie on a night when I'm wanting/needing to laugh

- Movie popcorn

- A cold, fizzy, packed-with-ice Dr. Pepper

- Garlic on anything

- A full tank of gas and nowhere to be

- Apple stores, especially that first 3-4 minutes when you're just taking it all in and realizing how damn cool they make their stuff (try it)

- Target on a weekend afternoon (soccer mom vixen city)

- Faded, comfortable Levi's that fit you just right

- warm sweatshirt, just out of the dryer

So many more...

murbot
Hoonigan

2005-02-10, 16:25

Having to hold both handrails to get down the stairs after a good leg workout.

Having 2 and 4 year old daughters race each other to give you a huge bodycheck/bearhug when you get home from work.

Driving around the block again to hear the end of a good Satriani song.

Guessing right on the big "when do I fill the bbq propane tank" question.

Coffee mugs big enough to hold 2 regular cups. Which reminds me...
Random Hero

2005-02-10, 16:26

- rsync

- cron jobs

- automatic doors

- a lab partner that knows what they're doing
Wrao
Yarp

2005-02-10, 16:26

the USB gamepad I got recently has a built in fan to cool sweaty palms. that's pretty rule.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-02-10, 16:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
Having to hold both handrails to get down the stairs after a good leg workout.
Yesterday I cleared about 18 steps by basically falling horizontally grabbing the rails about halfway down and swinging vertically again. it was sweet
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-02-10, 16:31

Kraft Dinner

Sitting on the back deck on the first day of spring enjoying a smoke (Can't Wait)

Sitting on the dock at my cottage on the May 2-4 weekend enjoying a smoke (can't wait)

The day bass fishing season opens.

My idiot dogs freaking out every time I come home.

Enjoying a smoke.
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-02-10, 16:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
Yesterday I cleared about 18 steps by basically falling horizontally grabbing the rails about halfway down and swinging vertically again. it was sweet
I've done that. Fun stuff.

This morning, I had to totally support myself to get down 2 flights of stairs. Today was Leg Day. I was relentless.

Every step down those stairs was a mini "fall" that was stabilized by my arms on those rails. I literally could not have walked down those stairs without the rails.

If I can ever do those stairs pain-free after Leg Day, I need to get my ass back in the squat rack.

All of this is a good thing, BTW. After a while you enjoy the frying of quads. heh heh
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-02-10, 16:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan
Sitting on the back deck on the first day of spring enjoying a smoke (Can't Wait)
There some iron-y in thar somewheres.

I get the distinct impression you have a smoking habit which you believe in your heart that you truly enjoy. I recommend changing addictions to Z i n g o s. It won't put any weight on you and they taste better than cancer sticks.

:smokey:

SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2005-02-10, 17:01

TiVo! I've convinced 4 people to get TiVo and all of us agree that it's the best devise to enter our lives in ages, how did we live without it? especially if you have kids.

After 4 years in this house with a piece of crap garage door that had to be opened manually, we got a new door with an automatic opener. sometimes I just go out for a soda just to open it and close it.

I used to work on the road in Texas a bit, in three different cities, in San Angelo the hotel I always stayed at gave me the same room, it was nice, I always felt like I was home.

In Abilene there is a Restaurant called Zaentners Daughter that when I came in the waitress would just bring me my big boy beer, call me hon, and say my order was already going. (I always got the same thing)

In Temple they always had a box of Jelly-Bellys on the pillow with the little recipes to make Jelly-Belly cocktails.
It may seem trivial but being away from home weeks at time can be harrowing but if you're going to do it Texas is a place where the people are so great at making you feel welcome and at ease in their part of the country.
Except Houston, to many ex-New Yorkers in Houston.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Grip

2005-02-10, 17:05

Three-day weekends

Reading a book you wish would never end

Finding money in a coat pocket (your own)

Being on the telemarketing "no-call" list

Daylight savings time when we "spring forward"

Broken parking meters

*Batteries included
SKMDC

2005-02-10, 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip
Three-day weekends

Reading a book you wish would never end

Finding money in a coat pocket (your own)

Being on the telemarketing "no-call" list

Daylight savings time when we "spring forward"

Broken parking meters

*Batteries included
amen to all of those, except you like getting an hour less sleep?
Grip

2005-02-10, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC
amen to all of those, except you like getting an hour less sleep?
I like long days.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-02-10, 17:15

- at the gym, feeling that this is the weakest day you have had all year and nothing is going to work out, but then you take a breather and afterwards successfully lift substantial if not record weights
- having a package filled to the brim with DVD's waiting for you in the customs
- while running outside, suddenly realizing both that you are in a horizontal blizzard and that your gear does its job so well you can almost ignore it

These are just for today.
SKMDC

2005-02-10, 17:21

Quote:
I like long days.
I never looked at it like that.
how optimistic.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-02-10, 17:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
I'm having trouble picturing this... and I'm always interested in learning new crazy tricks. Is it like you keep your feet planted, fall forward (or jump forward)? How is it better than just jumping all the way down?
Wrao
Yarp

2005-02-10, 18:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodari
I'm having trouble picturing this... and I'm always interested in learning new crazy tricks. Is it like you keep your feet planted, fall forward (or jump forward)? How is it better than just jumping all the way down?
Jumping all the way down would have hurt... a lot. It was a pretty large jump. Essentially what you do is grab the rails and swing the distance of the steps. Since the distance was so great, I could not grab them at the top without most probably clipping the bottom stairs and hurting myself(granted I could have probably cleared it that way it would have been more challenging) So, essentially I had to trust myself that I would catch the rails and use them to swing across with. By swinging this way, I am able to soften the landing and not get hurt.(though I still put a little too much weight in my feet, and they were sore for a few minutes afterwards)

It's not all that daring(though were I to have slipped I would have been very hurt) but it was still very satisfying.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-02-10, 18:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
There some iron-y in thar somewheres.

I get the distinct impression you have a smoking habit which you believe in your heart that you truly enjoy. I recommend changing addictions to Z i n g o s. It won't put any weight on you and they taste better than cancer sticks.

:smokey:
Mints!?! How can I replace cancer sticks with mints!?! You must be mad I tell you! MAD!!! And yeah, I enjoy my habit. I'm probably one of the few smokers that has no intension to quit. Unless my doctor makes me.
nomorewindows

2005-02-10, 18:39

serving 2 aces in the same game

coffee in bed

any beach in Cozumel

Colorado sunsets

my cat on my lap

listening to my daughter play her flute

chocolate cake with chocolate icing and homemade vanilla ice cream (Alton Brown's recipe)

"A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the other." Baltasar Gracian
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-02-10, 19:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan
Mints!?! How can I replace cancer sticks with mints!?! You must be mad I tell you! MAD!!! And yeah, I enjoy my habit. I'm probably one of the few smokers that has no intension to quit. Unless my doctor makes me.
Mere mints you think, but ah... hidden pleasures await you in the world of Z i n g o. This ain't no menthol billboard lad... the is the real McCoy. And the chics... they LOVE the Z i n g o s. Cigarettes are so 80s... so Hollywood. The real deal is waiting for you InactionMan; are you up for the challenge?

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-10, 19:53

Getting sleepy around 9-10 PM and, having completed all my homework for the next day, just flopping into bed and getting a long, refreshing sleep even though I have to get up early the next day.

Being all snuggled up warm indoors as you hear a rainstorm begin and gradually pick up momentum until it's a raging (but not in any way dangerous) thunderstorm.

Seeing your family and/or pets after a long time away, and being just so happy that you can't help but hug everyone.
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2005-02-10, 19:54

Quitting a job you hate, even though you have nothing to go into

Then getting an interview within two weeks and getting the job

Then finding out that not only is this job more enjoyable and fun, BUT you are also getting paid an extra $100 per paycheck compared with old crappy job.
SKMDC

2005-02-10, 20:24

when the organ comes in on "jungleland"

when aretha turns it up a notch at the end of "say a little prayer"

when the choir comes in on "walking in memphis"

Grip

2005-02-10, 20:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC
when aretha turns it up a notch at the end of "say a little prayer"
That song sends a chill down my spine every time I play it. Kinda song that makes you wish your volume knob went to "11" (unless I am using my iPod).
SKMDC

2005-02-10, 20:48

Quote:
That song sends a chill down my spine every time I play it. Kinda song that makes you wish your volume knob went to "11" (unless I am using my iPod).
I know man, cause she turns it up on the chorus before the last one kind of as a tease, but I defy anyone not to start dancing on the last chorus.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-02-10, 21:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Being all snuggled up warm indoors as you hear a rainstorm begin and gradually pick up momentum until it's a raging (but not in any way dangerous) thunderstorm.
Ooh, that's a good one. That just happened here a couple of nights ago. I climbed into bed as the rain began falling, and it got louder and harder over the next 30 minutes and the wind was blowing and there was distant thunder. And I was all wrapped up in my jersey sheets and comforter, snug as a bug. I slept really well that night (this was Tuesday, I believe).
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-02-10, 22:09

I am so suprised that no one has said opening the new packaging of a brand new piece of Apple kit!!! (Perhaps I missed it...)

Getting 16,000 feet on a skydive when you only paid for 12,000 and the clouds are at 6,000 feet... So you get two skydives.. One over white and then the second half over green! Whee!

Installing a new piece of Apple movie manipulation software, or Motion!

Discovering a new band that you have never heard of, but has a library of about 4 or 5 albums that all rock!

First eye contact with the girl you (are going to) love.

Watching your pet squirrel packing straw in it's mouth 'cos it's gonna rain and they need to make their nest that bit more snuggly!

Bank error in your favour (not in Monopoly!).

I do love the thunderstorm one too.. Fantastic.

A nice big fat joint at then end of a day of skydiving, and the cold beer that follows.

Denzel Washington movies.

I am sure there are more.. It is good to be alive!

EDIT - Oh yeah... Waking and seeing the clock and knowing it is 1am and you have hours left to sleep. That is a good one Scates! I like that to go on a bit... You know.. Waking every hour or so and seeing that it has only moved on a little bit.. Feels like the night lasted for ever. For some reason that is better than sleeping right through!!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
k squared

2005-02-10, 23:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0

Waking up, looking at your alarm and realizing it's only about 1:48am and you still have another six or so hours to sleep (can I get an "amen" on that one?)

That's one of the best things in life.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-02-10, 23:17

Listening to a song you know backwards and forwards, for the 1000th time, and hearing a new note.

Finding peace in the bottom of your breath.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-02-10, 23:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
Mere mints you think, but ah... hidden pleasures await you in the world of Z i n g o. This ain't no menthol billboard lad... the is the real McCoy. And the chics... they LOVE the Z i n g o s. Cigarettes are so 80s... so Hollywood. The real deal is waiting for you InactionMan; are you up for the challenge?

Well, them's strong words. Mayhaps I'll give them a shot. Not saying I'll give up my precious DuMaurier Lights... :smokey: :smokey: :smokey:

And I'll give a nod to thunder storms at night. Nothing better.

And walking through a snow swept parking lot in the middle of the night. There's something really nice about that.