AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iOS Migration Tool

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iOS Migration Tool
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-04-30, 18:31

Is it any good? Should I trust it over using iTunes/Finder and a cable?

It looks like I'm going to switch cell providers and they are steeply discounting phones making it worth upgrading them. The guy wants to use the Migration Tool built into iOS but I've never used it and wonder if it is worth me using or just sticking with the cable.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2020-04-30, 19:09

That's how I transferred when my wife and I got the iPhone 11 Pros in the fall. Just transfers over the essentials, but the bigger items like apps and such get downloaded like normal from iCloud if I recall.

iTunes will definitely get this stuff back quicker, but this works as well.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-04-30, 21:39

Cool. I think I'll go ahead and backup to iTunes/Finder and then try the migration tool. Worst case then would be I end up wiping and restoring from iTunes if I don't like the migration. I'm sure it will be fine just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-05-06, 14:00

I have to say the only perk to doing this method was nothing. I mean, maybe if I didn't have an iTunes backup it would have been better than just iCloud but that is only because it would have saved me from having to log into the device with iCloud off the start. Beyond that is it the same as an iCloud restore from what I could tell.

iTunes/Finder backup and restore still win by all accounts if you can use it.

What would make the most difference is if they could make it less painful to migrate devices when the OS doesn't line up. I get that they need to match for settings to properly migrate... but man it sucks bad having to update the devices before being able to migrate.