[spoiler]Lost just jumped the shark[/spoiler]

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
[spoiler]Lost just jumped the shark[/spoiler]
Page 1 of 8 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-04-25, 21:16

They just brought back a character we saw die.

Fuck that shit...
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-04-25, 21:18

It's a clone.

See? All better.
billybobsky
BANNED

2007-04-25, 21:20

noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-04-25, 21:22

wtf?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-04-25, 21:23

Ive always wondered this....what exactly does jumping the shark mean?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-04-25, 21:25

Just jumped the shark? Just??

Dude. Lost jumped the shark somewhere in the second season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
It's a reference to a Happy Days where Fonzie was pulled on water skis and jumped over *gasp* a shark. Now it signifies a turning point in a series at which the writers have given up on producing quality material and the show "loses it".

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-04-25, 21:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Refers to a 1970's TV sitcom. It had a main character known for being the Coolest guy on TV (The Fonze). As the series entered one of its last seasons, the writers had this oh-so-cool guy waterskiing in his trademark leather jacket, to jump a shark. It was truely the moment when the series went downhill from there and was soon mercifully cancelled.

http://jumptheshark.com/index.jspa


Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-04-25, 21:27

I win.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-04-25, 21:28

Ah, so it's basically refers to the point to where the show gets to such a point where it's struggling for ratings or views that you can tell they are just trying way too hard and that obviously the show has turned the corner for the worst....in a nut shell

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2007-04-25, 21:29

Yes, just like the entire series of "Home improvement"
billybobsky
BANNED

2007-04-25, 21:29

So Lost is the only show I watch habitually. I can't stand TV but somehow the oddness of the show captured my imagination or perhaps it's just ms. lilly.
Spoiler (click to toggle):
they killed off some russian communication other dude the other week with a sonic weapon of sorts. he came back in tonight's episode. it enrages me.

jumping the shark means that a television show has made a plot move that is likely to result in the show's death due to its absurdity or clear loss of sense of the show...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-04-25, 21:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
I win.
Huh?
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2007-04-25, 21:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Huh?
Damn you. You moved your post.
billybobsky
BANNED

2007-04-25, 21:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Just jumped the shark? Just??
Noooooo!!!!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-04-25, 21:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
Damn you. You moved your post.
ha, tricky bastard
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-04-25, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
So Lost is the only show I watch habitually. I can't stand TV but somehow the oddness of the show captured my imagination or perhaps it's just ms. lilly.
they killed off some russian communication other dude the other week with a sonic weapon of sorts. he came back in tonight's episode. it enrages me.
See, seeing that just made me wonder more about the island, just like
the new news that they found the plane and there were no survivors...
. I don't think it's jumped the shark. I love this show.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-04-25, 22:16

I love marking these moments, or talking about those turning points on shows. They all do it. When a sitcom brings in a new baby to replace the previously cute kids who are now hitting that awkward pre-teen stage (Cosby, Growing Pains, Family Ties and about six dozen others), that's one of the sure signs.

Every show - sitcom, drama, reality, etc. - hits that point sooner or later, sadly.

Some, like "Home Improvement" and "The Apprentice", somehow manage to hit it on their second or third episode.

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-04-25, 22:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Every show - sitcom, drama, reality, etc. - hits that point sooner or later, sadly.
Some shows handle it better then others, well, really only one I can think of. When Arrested Development jumped the shark they actually had Henry Winkler jump a shark on a sidewalk and from that point on just went ridiculous and started making fun of themselves. That show actually got better after the shark was jumped.

Website | Twitter
billybobsky
BANNED

2007-04-25, 22:26

re jdcfsu's post

This doesn't surprise me though... Think about it, none of the people kidnapped seemed particularly in a rush to get home; they were likely given an ultimatum and told that in order to protect the island, a jet identical to flight 815 was crashed and the world thinks that there were no survivors. The real world group behind the others is obviously protecting the existence and nature of the island from outside spying eyes...
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-04-25, 22:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
re jdcfsu's post

This doesn't surprise me though... Think about it, none of the people kidnapped seemed particularly in a rush to get home; they were likely given an ultimatum and told that in order to protect the island, a jet identical to flight 815 was crashed and the world thinks that there were no survivors. The real world group behind the others is obviously protecting the existence and nature of the island from outside spying eyes...
That's a good point. They do have a lot of influence and power off the island somehow. That or Desmond's time travel/visions changed the course of history. Who knows.

Website | Twitter
rasmits
rams it

2007-04-25, 22:41

When J.J. Abrams jumps sharks, he does it in a big, big way. It was almost startling how quickly Alias started to suck.

Lost is a show I will never understand.

You had me at asl
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-04-25, 23:54

Yeah, Alias went from my Must Watch list to my Is That Still On? *SO* fast...
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-04-26, 00:17

lost is a show with beautiful people in a beautiful location doing ugly and baffling things...what's not to like

g
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-04-26, 03:20

Lost fans, take note please:

They will never explain what the hell is going on. Because as soon as they do, their opportunity to make another series (and scads more money) is blown.
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2007-04-26, 05:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post
Lost is a show I will never understand.
Tell me about it. I'm sure I'll understand the eventual conclusion as and when one arrives, but I won't understand JUST WHY PEOPLE CARE. I had quite a telling conversation on IM with my best friend a few nights ago.

Code:
Joe: Been downloading/watching lost again. Spike: wtf? why? everyone gave up on that didn't they? Joe: In terms of efficiency of time spent it seems like a wasted investment for me to give up on it now, I've spent so long watching it.
People aren't watching because it's a great show with character development or a good story, they are watching because they want the writers to tie things up really, really, really neatly. And that just isn't humanly possible.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-04-26, 05:43

I always think the "Jumping the shark" moment comes when the show becomes primarily self-referential. ie: When the show is about itself, rather than about it's "subject". See: The X-files, or Buffy, or Alias...
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-04-26, 05:52

I still watch it. So there.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-04-26, 06:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeh View Post
People aren't watching because it's a great show with character development or a good story, they are watching because they want the writers to tie things up really, really, really neatly. And that just isn't humanly possible.
We have a winner!
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2007-04-26, 06:54

The Office on NBC is dangerously close, IMO. It's one of my favourite shows, but they need to resolve Jim and Pam once and for all. I loved Conan: "Yeah I can easily see us squeezing out another 2 to 3 seasons of 'will they won't they' sexual tension that ultimately goes nowhere."
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2007-04-26, 06:55

I made it half way through the second season.

I've decided to wait for it to finish and if the DVD sets are few and reasonably priced then I'll finish watching.