Residential Solar Panels
Page 5 of 5 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5]  Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-01-24, 22:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
It wasn't for the bot I can assure you.

This sounds like something that would be said 5 hours into the AppleNova Bar Crawl!

Maybe it's our new tagline!!!

Linus van Pelt

2024-02-10, 06:59

It's fascinating to hear about your off-grid experiment, and it sheds light on how interconnected and sensitive our home power systems can be. The issue with the UPS not accepting power due to frequency shifting is an eye-opener. It highlights the complexity of ensuring compatibility between different power sources and our home devices. If you are interested in delving deeper into power solutions and how to navigate them, leds.to offers insights and guides that could be very helpful. You should check out their resources; they could provide valuable information to understand or enhance their off-grid or backup power setups.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-02-15, 09:28

I'll check them out in a bit and see if there is anything I can glean off of them. I've replaced all my lights in the house with LED long ago. They are cheaper LEDs and some buzz when dimmed and such, but at least they are low power consumption.

I discovered something interesting with my power company and their Critical Peak pricing days. Any energy consumed is NOT covered by when I send back during that period. I got my statement for last month and looking over it I paid $.20 for critical peak power consumption. Thing is, I consumed ~0.7kWh but I sent ~19.9kWh during critical peak. I should have been net positive during critical peak but no, they still charged me for the minuscule amount I pulled during critical peak. Needless to say this is really annoying.

The worst part is this is government regulated. There is nothing I can do about it. The power company is going to follow the letter of the law and rob me of every dime they are entitled to. It just really highlights how the power companies are really killing any incentive to go with alternative energy sources. It is pushing my family to actually go off grid.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-02-29, 21:36

Fun fact, Tesla didn’t program their Gateway to comprehend that there might be a Leap Year. Today was an interesting day for my power. Normally February is a “Winter Peak” month. This means peak pricing from 0600 to 0900 and again from 1800 to 2100. “Non-Winter Peak” starts March 1st. This morning the Gateway did not use my batteries to power the home during the morning peak.

So at about 0800 I noticed and turned off the grid connection. I assumed it would pick up peak at 1800 for the evening peak since it happens no matter what “season” it is. So I set my batteries to dump to the grid during the evening peak period. At 1820 I noticed we were still pulling from the grid and not sending anything. So I took us off grid again and let it just go through the normal paces but having consumed more than 10kWh from the grid during peak pricing.

It is kinda funny really. Tesla clearly didn’t think that there would be a 29th of February, ever. I don’t mind really, just sort of. Plus, leading up to today I’ve sent my morning solar to the grid so I likely still have a surplus for this billing period. The way it is programmed is based on month, not day. So I assume every power company does their billing seasons so they change on the first of the month. Apparently, Tesla programmed the end of February specially as the 28th instead of =! March.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.