User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Anyone have experience with ZFS and/or TrueNAS or FreeNAS? (Or a Synology NAS?)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anyone have experience with ZFS and/or TrueNAS or FreeNAS? (Or a Synology NAS?)
Page 5 of 6 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  Next Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-03-20, 15:36

Cool. Does the DMP SE do PoE? My older DMP does not so everything goes into the switch. If you connect the cameras through the DMP SE and the NVR via 10G to it on one port with the switch on the other 10G port that would be a good configuration. I would do that but it isn't an option without a bunch of injectors. I'm also just using the DMP's NVR rather than an additional appliance.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-03-20, 18:04

The SE does do PoE on all 8 ports.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-03-21, 07:52

Well, if I ever need to upgrade or replace my hardware that would be nice.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2023-03-21, 13:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
The SE does do PoE on all 8 ports.
I find this relevant to my interests, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Some time this year, upgrading the house from router + NAS + WiFi to a proper rack system of router + NAS + PoE (16 endpoints - combo of security cameras, and APs) + UPS + whatever else strikes my fancy.

Moving from inside a cabinet at one end of the house to the top of a central linen closet. (Not only is my wife ok with this, she's the one who suggested it. I was going to mount it in the garage.) Only concern is heat. Can punch vent into hallway, or into bathroom that is about to be renovated.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-03-21, 14:37

The 15U rack I got can be wall mounted and has dual fans on the top of the unit. I'm keeping mine on casters because it's just easier.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-04-16, 07:42

Got my Unifi DMSE, 24 Switch PoE Pro. and NVR Pro fired up and adopted yesterday at the new home. Going to go back today and get the Smart Power adopted. Didn't have a patch cable long enough. Only have one U6 Long Range hooked up right now just to have some Wi-Fi in the basement. We have furniture being delivered Friday and are moving next Monday, the 24th. I'm skeptical everything will be done in time, but we don't really have a choice because the people that bought our house have to be out of their house. We're ok with having a few things left. It is what it is.

Some appliances are installed and will be finished this week. Wood floors are done. Tile and LVP is all done. Carpet in the 2 guest rooms goes in Monday. Needing some electrical finished up, switches changed to dimmers. Ethernet runs having their ends put on. Couple lights hung. Painting to be finished. Yada yada yada.

It's been a process. Builder has been great, but it's been a lot to deal with.

@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-04-16, 15:26

Nice. I'm thinking about getting the Smart Power but just have a hard time justifying it right now.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2023-04-16, 22:47

Really like that cabinet. Could use a couple not just for networking, but A/V stuff too.

I really liked the Dream Machine, but the price gave me pause. Oof, just couldn't dig deep enough in the wallet right now. Ended up picking up a ASUS-AX89X for $216. Still hit 2gbps on speed tests, but started running into other bottlenecks. Happy for now.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-04-23, 06:36

Slowly getting everything set up. I have all my Unify APs installed, 5 In-Wall-6's, and 3 Long Range-6's. No cameras set up yet. Will probably take a bit before I get to those. Installed 3 TVs and Sonos sound bars and whatnot around the house. Moving in tomorrow. Gonna be a hectic couple of days.

Last edited by Yontsey : 2023-04-23 at 15:06.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-04-24, 07:21

That is going to be awesome to finally get to move in! Long day, but at least it sounds like your infrastructure will be solid.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-04-25, 15:00

More like long week! We’re at the 11th hour.
jannythomas

2023-05-01, 02:39

Is there any tool to recover data from hard drive on mac?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-05-01, 05:44

Having some issues with my Unifi set up. Thought it was the cables or the end terminations but doesn't appear to be so.

Had everything wired through my 24 Port Switch Pro PoE and I had 4 access points that are hardwired, showing up as wifi mesh. I moved them from the switch to the Dream Machine-SE ports and they show up as wired. 3 of those APs need PoE+ and 1 doesn't but all 4 only appear in those ports, and there's only 2 of them. When you move them back to the switch, they go back to mesh.

I also have a G4 Bullet camera plugged into the switch that is getting power via PoE but is not connected and didn't show up to be adopted into the system. I have 4 other cameras that adopted fine. The doorbell I couldn't get to appear in the system either, but I was able to just connect that via wifi, so whatever.

Any ideas?

@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-05-01, 09:19

First is troubleshoot each item individually. Test everything at the rack with a short "factory built cable" that should be a known good. So work on getting one connected at a time. Once one is working then move on to the next. Trying to do all at once will complicate it more than needed.

Personally I assume the cabling is the problem. It is so easy to cross over a wire when terminating. Testing with a tester is really a must too when building your own. I accidentally fried my original tester so I bought this one from Wal-mart. It does more than I need it to, but the key reason I got it was to verify my pinouts on the terminations were right and not reversed.

Once you know the cabling is right and you've gotten the devices adopted into the system with the short cables at the rack you should be good to install where you want them in the house. Basically you have such weirdness going on it is likely cabling. Isolate that out of the equation by connecting devices straight to the switch/DMP and verify adoption and function. Then troubleshoot the cable connection points and terminations. Those keystones in the plate at your rack could be bad, etc. So many places that gremlins can seek into.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2023-05-01, 09:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannythomas View Post
Is there any tool to recover data from hard drive on mac?
Diskwarrior is my usual go-to, although to be fair I haven't needed it for quite a while so I don't know how nice it plays with the newer versions of MacOS.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-05-01, 09:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
First is troubleshoot each item individually. Test everything at the rack with a short "factory built cable" that should be a known good. So work on getting one connected at a time. Once one is working then move on to the next. Trying to do all at once will complicate it more than needed.

Personally I assume the cabling is the problem. It is so easy to cross over a wire when terminating. Testing with a tester is really a must too when building your own. I accidentally fried my original tester so I bought this one from Wal-mart. It does more than I need it to, but the key reason I got it was to verify my pinouts on the terminations were right and not reversed.

Once you know the cabling is right and you've gotten the devices adopted into the system with the short cables at the rack you should be good to install where you want them in the house. Basically you have such weirdness going on it is likely cabling. Isolate that out of the equation by connecting devices straight to the switch/DMP and verify adoption and function. Then troubleshoot the cable connection points and terminations. Those keystones in the plate at your rack could be bad, etc. So many places that gremlins can seek into.
Right there are a lot of things going on. Same exact keystones and cables were used, but just switching from a port in the switch to a port in the UDM-SE made them show up from wired to mesh. All devices are already adopted into the system. It's really weird. Same exact problem occurs in any port in the switch. I tried multiple patch cables. I bought a Klein tester and the cables all passed as well.

Edit: Also, what did you use to get your cameras to show up in Homekit? Did it require a Raspberry Pi?

@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-05-01, 09:47

So it seems like the switch is the problem then. Did you do any "custom" configurations when adopting it or the other devices?

So I'm clear:
  • All devices are adopted already
  • They all show normally when plugged into the switch
  • When plugging them into the PoE ports on the UDM-SE they go to mesh instead of individual
Is that right? If so it could be that the UDM-SE sets a designation when plugged into there. I just want to be sure I'm understanding what you're seeing.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-05-01, 09:56

Quote:
So it seems like the switch is the problem then. Did you do any "custom" configurations when adopting it or the other devices?

So I'm clear:
  • All devices are adopted already
  • They all show normally when plugged into the switch
  • When plugging them into the PoE ports on the UDM-SE they go to mesh instead of individual
Is that right? If so it could be that the UDM-SE sets a designation when plugged into there. I just want to be sure I'm understanding what you're seeing.
Kinda. 4 of the 5 show normal when plugged into the Switch, but that 5th one doesn't. For the In-Wall 6.

For the Long Range 6, none of the 3 are showing up in the Switch, but show up in the UDM-SE. They did show up though when ran through a Switch > Flex > LR6.

I did do some custom settings. I followed the YouTube videos on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beni...ynLmEB6z7BAgpE - I did those when setting up a network, guest network, and IoT network.

@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-05-01, 10:37

I assume all the devices are running up-to-date firmware?

Given the wiring is tested out I would start the painful road of forgetting and readopting devices. Start with the 24 port switch. You can leave the access points running from the UDM-SE. The fact that the LR6 shows up right with the Flex in the middle is really odd.

I would also do it with a factory cable from the UDM-SE directly. This way you know the cabling isn't an issue. It minimizes failure points while troubleshooting it.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-05-02, 10:15

So I feel like an idiot but I had some time around the house this AM so I went back around and was checking the connections and I noticed every one of the termination ends were chipped and mangled. Luckily, one of the guys from the builder was here doing some work so I was able to show him and he sent a message to the GC. Hopefully that fixes all the issues.

I decided to check because I noticed everything that should be connected GbE was only connected FE. I feel like an idiot for troubleshooting for the last week trying to figure this shit out.

@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-05-02, 10:17

So cabling?

It is like I've seen this before or something.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-05-02, 10:36

Quote:
So cabling?

It is like I've seen this before or something.
This is what happens when you have an electrician do IT runs.....so frustrating. This is the third time well have them come out to fix these.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-05-02, 10:55

Dude, that really is frustrating.

Do you do your own? You really should learn to do them yourself if you don't. It will help down the line when you make changes and such. Start small by making your own patch cables.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-05-03, 05:31

I might actually. I just hate carelessness in a job.

It's the owners son that did these. The GC called the owner and let him know. Hopefully they send someone else out.

@yontsey
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-05-03, 08:57

Quote:
Dude, that really is frustrating.

Do you do your own? You really should learn to do them yourself if you don't. It will help down the line when you make changes and such. Start small by making your own patch cables.
what did you use to get your cameras to show up in Homekit? Did it require a Raspberry Pi?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-05-03, 09:05

I use Homebridge that is running on a Pi, though it can run on any machine you have "always-on" in your network. I've run mine in a VM in the past, though I'm back to a Pi that is PoE thanks to a HAT.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-05-03, 09:58

Never messed with a Pi. Easy to set up? I have an old Mac Mini sitting in a box I could just set up in the mechanical room too.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-05-03, 10:04

The mini would work fine. This is the guide Homebridge put out for this actually.

You will want to be sure you configure the Mac to power on on power restore though. There are a few guides out there but this one seems to have the Terminal command to simplify it.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-05-03, 10:13

Excellent. Thank you.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-05-03, 14:09

No problem. Since you're gonna run a mini for that you might want to put Plex Server on the mini too. Map the NAS drive and have Plex run the library off of it.

See how I circled this back to the NAS for the thread.