AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Photoshop CS3 Beta Coming Friday!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Photoshop CS3 Beta Coming Friday!
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2006-12-12, 21:22

According to AI (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2301) Photoshop CS3 BETA will be released for download on Friday. People who own a CS2 serial will be able to download the BETA and participate in the test. The full version will be released in March. The BETA is a Universal Binary!!!!! This is sweet, sweet news!

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
HezMah19
Formerly "jmahe19"

Send a message via AIM to HezMah19  
2006-12-13, 16:56

Sweet Will be nice to have a full speed Photoshop on my MBP!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-13, 17:36

This would be really cool. I'm still running CS. I thought about upgrading to CS2, but I have been able to use the computer lab for things I wasn't able to do at home. Of which there was nothing. I am looking forward to CS3 though!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-12-14, 21:34

Yeah, I'm still on CS. Therefore, I can't get the beta.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2006-12-14, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
Yeah, I'm still on CS. Therefore, I can't get the beta.
I read Ars' review of the beta today and it said people will be able to download the beta without a serial, it will only function for two days though. The review also said that while the beta is great and has a lot of nice features and is really speedy on Intel Macs, it's also very buggy still and shouldn't be counted on for day-to-day use. It'll still be a great release none-the-less.

Official download spot once it's posted tomorrow: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/photoshopcs3/

Website | Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-14, 21:38

C|Net did a write up about the release of the beta to.

I'm planning to buy CS3 right after it comes out. It should only be about $400 for students if they keep the same pricing plan. Maybe even an early adopter discount.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-12-14, 21:39

[snip]

Last edited by Moogs : 2006-12-14 at 21:58.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-12-14, 21:51

I realize it has a ways to go, but I'm very curious to hear how it screams on these Intel Core Duo Macs. You guys post some juicy, tantalizing stuff: numbers, estimates, Dock bounces, blur tests, etc.

Barring any unbelievably good deals (or an update that's just too good to ignore), I'm pretty much going to run this PowerBook G4 into the ground, well into spring 2007 and just go bonkers one weekend in April/May and get the latest Mac available and CS3. This beta - and hearing about it - will get me revved up and looking forward to that.

I was hoping they'd release the entire suite (Illustrator and InDesign as well), but Photoshop is the 800 pound gorilla, so it makes sense to give it the spotlight.

Imagine all the Mac sales that are going to occur in 2007...all this pent-up graphic artist lust is going to finally have an outlet. I know so many people who were holding off buying new Macs for this very reason (waiting for the Universal Adobe stuff). When it finally arrives, stand back! Apple won't be able to build towers, iMacs and MacBooks fast enough.

Apple's going to have an amazing 2007, just on Adobe-spurred Mac sales alone!
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2006-12-14, 21:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I'm pretty much going to run this PowerBook G4 into the ground, well into spring 2007 and just go bonkers one weekend in April/May and get the latest Mac available and CS3.
PS, I might have bad news for you then... One of the beta reviews I read today said you needed at least a 1GHZ G5 with 512MB ram to run the CS3 beta. Hopefully it still runs on your PowerBook.

Website | Twitter
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-12-14, 21:57

Paul: I have no bounces or other "Snappeh" benchmarks however the launch speed has been roughly cut in half on my machine, brush cursor incrementing is way faster (pretty much on par with Windows now), and in general it feels quick all-around. There are some slow spots but hopefully those will be history when you get your packaged version.

Should the mods can the other thread and I'll post in here? I just put a screenshot up over there but either way is OK by me.

...into the light of a dark black night.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2006-12-14, 21:59

Wait, so you already have the beta? How'd you manage that?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-12-14, 22:01

Screenshot of the new interface. Some highlights: you can now collapse palettes into large or small icons, group them in any combination you want (columns of icons, mixed icons and palettes, whatever); you can remove palettes from a group without dragging it out and closing it; you can hide everything off screen and use mouse-hover to temporarily bring it them back; toolbar single and double column, and you can stack stuff to either side of it (nothing below); no stacking under options bar or above dock...
Attached Images
File Type: png CS3INT.PNG (480.5 KB, 53 views)

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-12-14, 22:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
PS, I might have bad news for you then... One of the beta reviews I read today said you needed at least a 1GHZ G5 with 512MB ram to run the CS3 beta. Hopefully it still runs on your PowerBook.
Yeah, I'm not really holding out much hope for using this beta here at home (1.25GHz PowerBook G4 and 512MB RAM ). But I do have a 2GHz iMac G5 w/ 1GB RAM at work, so that's where I'll monkey with it some, as I can).

I figure they've got a lot more work to do, and it'll only get faster (as Moogs states). By the time I'm ready to lay my money down for it, it'll be a properly debugged, lean and mean piece of work...and there will probably be another round of Mac updates in the first quarter of '07 (everything well into the 2GHz range, and nothing with less than 1GB RAM stock).

In my excitement/curiosity over the speed and performance issues (running natively on Intel), I've not even considered the new features. I wonder what the big, "marquee" features will be this time around...there are always quite a few with each major release (v7.0 > CS > CS2...)
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-12-14, 22:03

Quote:
Wait, so you already have the beta? How'd you manage that?
Rumor has it I might be a non-public-type-beta-tester-dude, but this is unconfirmed. We're allowed to comment on anything that's being release to the public tomorrow, but that's it. Fire away...

Frisco

2006-12-14, 22:11

Quote:
People who own a CS2 serial will be able to download the BETA and participate in the test.
Does that include serials that were "discovered" online"
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-14, 22:21

Unlikely.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-12-14, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
C|Net did a write up about the release of the beta to.

I'm planning to buy CS3 right after it comes out. It should only be about $400 for students if they keep the same pricing plan. Maybe even an early adopter discount.
Damn. That's expensive. A lot of schools offer CS2 for $199
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-14, 22:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Damn. That's expensive. A lot of schools offer CS2 for $199
That would be nice...maybe I need to find another school bookstore!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-12-14, 22:32

Given what Photoshop can do, it's not expensive at all IMO. FWIW I don't think pricing has been determined so anything you read take with a grain of salt.

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2006-12-14, 22:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Given what Photoshop can do, it's not expensive at all IMO. FWIW I don't think pricing has been determined so anything you read take with a grain of salt.
I would hope that pricing is in line with prior CS versions. But yeah, I don't expect any pricing info until much closer to the release in March.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-12-14, 22:40

Correct. And remember, it was Q2 2007, not March that is the publicly announced date (from earlier this year).

Anyway, if you guys want to see screens of a particular feature or what-not, let me know. Some cool stuff including new adjustment layers, non-destructive filtering, big ACR improvements, and a bunch more. I wish you could attach videos but alas I think the bandwidth Gods don't allow this. Nice work, BRAD!

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2006-12-14, 22:47

Quote:
Correct. And remember, it was Q2 2007, not March that is the publicly announced date (from earlier this year)
Yeah, you're right on the Q2. I guess I'm assuming a March release date so that it's ready to be shown off at Photoshop World April 4th.

Website | Twitter
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-12-14, 22:54

Possible. However they could hold a Photoshop World based on the beta, since functionally it will be the same program. Also remember Photoshop World is often less about new features of Photoshop than it is about basic retouching techniques, digital workflow, cross-application functionality, etc. Photoshop World might be more aptly named "Digital Photo Workflow World with lots of Photoshop tips".

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-12-14, 23:19

Man, I can't believe how much info is already out there. I recommend you guys watch the MacCentral / Macworld John Nack interview and quick demos after. This is a really cool program and I can vouch first hand the Auto-Align/Blend combo works very well in most instances and a tripod is not required at all. Just a steady hand and enough overlap from your scenery that PS can decide what to throw away when stitching and blending.

ACR 4 kicks butt too. It makes the creation of compelling BW photographs from color originals much more intuitive and granular than say using the Channel Mixer with Green channel bias. You can boost and reduce each primary and secondary color a wide amount so if you've got one little spot on the picture with a punchy color that you want to translate to an inky black, you can do that without screwing with the neighboring tones. It's awesome.

halo1982

2006-12-14, 23:43

Download it now!

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitle...bs%5Fphotoshop
684MBs...eep!
*goes to make a sandwich*
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-14, 23:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo1982 View Post
Download it now!

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitle...bs%5Fphotoshop
684MBs...eep!
*goes to make a sandwich*
Downloading now! I'm supposed to be studying for my math final tomorrow! Not that I have CS2, but I can play for two days right?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-12-15, 00:58

*chucks a 2x4 at turtle* Put that filthy thief-ware down and go brush your teeth and get ready for bed!

Another good link to give you guys some ideas.

http://www.macworld.com/2006/12/firs...pcs3/index.php

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-15, 01:06

Quote:
*chucks a 2x4 at turtle* Put that filthy thief-ware down and go brush your teeth and get ready for bed!

Another good link to give you guys some ideas.

http://www.macworld.com/2006/12/firs...pcs3/index.php
Oh, don't misunderstand, this is worth paying for and I will when it's released. I only have CS now though. Someone said we could play with this for 2 days without the beta serial number so I figured I'd try it while I could. I have no false codes to "try" with.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-12-15, 05:03

I wish they had a public beta of Illustrator CS3....sigh
JLL

2006-12-15, 05:20

Hmm, just like Acrobat 8 and Reader 8 the folders are very Vista like - how much time would it take to make Mac like icons, Adobe? You did it with the previous version.

Furthermore I hate that Adobe installers place apps all around my system.

- No matter where you go, there you are.