MC: 1.16 - Nether Update!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: 1.16 - Nether Update!
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2020-08-20, 20:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
If anybody wants to see some cool landscapes Before we wipe you can head out to my small outpost (west I think) at -1400, 740 and then turn south and keep going until you hit the ocean (-1340, 1110).

Really cool if you come into the bay by boat.
I looked all over ENE for your house... I got turned around in this world for the longest time. Still do tbh.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-08-21, 08:11

Hard to believe Nether was built up in 2014! Like, we have been going a very long time with this world. That is just Nether!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-08-21, 10:43

Yep. Long time indeed. But the Nether Hub has been fantastic for moving about in the world without so much … moving about?

A new Nether with a fresh, new hub design will be awesome! My design is the best ever! It's modeled on the existing thing, but with fresh materials, less rings (sort of), more color (dark, but beautiful), and it provides a better view.

I have very little time right now, but if T gives me Creative for a moment or two, I can mock it up for viewing, and lay out the initial design specs which are very easy to copy once begun.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
¡Damned!

2020-08-21, 11:48

Since we're wiping and starting the rings from scratch, I wonder if we want to start at (0,0)? Right now the space needle is 'center', and it teleports us to (31,72,27) for the center of our nether hub. Maybe we treat the space needle as just another portal? I don't know if it would make it any easier to start at (0,0), just throwing that out there.

I wouldn't mind less rings on the pathway either if it makes it a bit quicker to build. We're at base 10 now, so maybe go to 16 or even 20? do we stick to 72 blocks high? Probably need to scope out the spawn terrain to make that call.

There was some talk a bit ago about making the hub more of a bastion remnant style thing, like 30-40-ish blocks square... I still very much like that idea. I was playing around with nether portal towers with 1/8 scale versions of overworld features atop, all made out of blackstone variants. Looked pretty awesome. I'm definitely doing that where terrain permits.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-08-21, 15:59

My new design is base 20, with 2 rings at 20-block intervals, separated by one block and sharing a single hanger from the ceiling. I have built a ton of it in our home server and it looks amazing. The design also has a hanging hub for each outer portal that mimic the central hub. However, I do remember something about a central bastion that we never got around to. If it is made from blackstone type stuff with lavender stained glass bits it would fit in very nicely to my design.

Like I said, once we're up and running I'll lay it out. If no likey it can be modified, but you won't want to.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
¡Damned!

2020-08-21, 21:20

Can't wait to see it. So what do y'all think of starting at (0,0) as a center point for new nether? I kinda want to simplify the maths down there, because maybe I might want to do some diagonals. We'll see. We can build a new, fancy underground hub wherever (0,0) is in the overworld. Maybe Brad can even put in one of his transporter-station-things to zap us over to the TARDIS or Post Office or somewhere more populous. If not there are rail lines everywhere.

The bastion-style hub I'm not married to, but I do like the general idea of it. Solid, sunk into the lava or landscape, protective. Also like the idea of smaller towers at the outer portal junctions. I'm sure as we build and experiment we'll figure out something that's good for everyone.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-08-21, 23:12

Yes with the 0,0. I am down with that. It will make the Nether Hub coord business a lot easier to manage.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-08-22, 09:21

I can't wait to see where 0,0 is actually located!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-08-22, 10:55

It is done!

I have not entered Nether at all yet so you guys and do what you want/need in there. I'm leery of giving creative on the server as a whole so I'd rather meet you guys on and give creative. There will be a new backup in a few hours but I'd rather lean toward being cautious with this.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-08-22, 12:24

Pick a time. I can pop in today for about 30 seconds for my "upgrade", then maybe tonight I can drop in and get started with a quick mockup.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-08-22, 12:26

I just logged in now. I'm playing Xbox but have my computer logged into the MC server.
¡Damned!

2020-08-22, 16:18

Nice! I’ll be able to get on tonight for a little bit - if I don’t run into you I may just leave my little guy logged in so you can zap him with superpowers. Thanks for making it happen T!

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2020-08-22, 18:19

Just popped in for a bit and got my upgrade from T (Thanks! ), entered the nether, and found that we're spawning in a crimson forest! Fun! I just put a few temporary blocks down at (0,0) before I had to leave. I'm thinking we lower the path just a titch to 64, and instead of doing rings at 100 and 200 I suggest we go 100 and 250, because I may, depending on time and energy, do a ring out at 500 to get the full array of biomes accessible. Hopefully.

250 will get us just to the edges of out current overworld chunks, and 500 is just right inside the trim zone in case we eventually want to prune the Nether again for whatever reason. I may also just throw up my hands after 250 because, if I recall, the old pathways were a sheer fuckton of work.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-08-22, 23:19

Hell, Jess and I are out to 500 (inner ring) and 1000 (outer ring) in our Nether grid. We have large biomes enabled, and that gets us out 2 full biomes (they seem to be about 4000-ish square, roughly.

Anyway, I tossed in the Hub and the first 2 rings in each direction. I also carved a bit into one of the pathways so you can see how big the tunnels need to be. It's a taste of work, but I think it looks amazing. Very mechanical, and it uses all the new blackstone stuff, so it fits into the Nether nicely. And the ring/chain interface has some "motion" to it with the little surprise I used. The dark/transparent look contrasts nicely with the hellish Nether tones, and there is some color at the hub intersection and eventually at the outer intersections (which will be identical to the main hub in design).

Have a look, let me know what you think.

¡Damned!

2020-08-23, 14:50

Looks nice Ken! I like that it's uninterrupted glass as well - that should make it a bit easier to construct.

The only bummer that I've found with Creative Mode is that there's one speed only for mining. No demon picks allowed apparently. That's going to make the tunnels a lot more time consuming, but maybe we save those for last when Creative is turned off.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2020-08-23, 22:16

New upgrade? New nether? Neat! I may have to log in some time this week for a peek. No idea when that might be, but I'll try to find a spot sometime in there.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-08-23, 22:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
The only bummer that I've found with Creative Mode is that there's one speed only for mining. No demon picks allowed apparently.
Yes, Creative is redonculously slow at deconstructing things. On our server at home I switch back and forth between Creative and Survival to construct the thing. Otherwise, 1000 blocks in a 7x7 tunnel would take an age or three to complete.

Also, I tossed in an intersection so you can see the design.

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-08-23 at 23:24.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-08-25, 09:30

I went into Nether using the needle portal and found myself outside of the tunnels. Just figured I'd mention it so you all knew why there was a random portal out there.

I'm looking the design of the portal. The "+" shaped portal as opposed to the square ones too. Seems a better design for running through without having to run around when just passing by.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2020-08-28, 21:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I went into Nether using the needle portal and found myself outside of the tunnels. Just figured I'd mention it so you all knew why there was a random portal out there.
There's rough paths now to home portals for most people. Still a handful to go.

Last edited by 709 : 2020-08-29 at 08:28.
¡Damned!

2020-09-01, 05:43

Hey T, when you get a chance to log on, would you mind turning Creative off for me? It's tunnel time and I'd rather be in danger for a bit than keep soft-punching these dang holes. Ta.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-01, 09:58

Done!
¡Damned!

2020-09-01, 10:08

Thanks!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-01, 10:50

Did Grey just pull a George Washington?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2020-09-07, 17:48

I took a look around earlier, and it felt good to be home again.

That's some snazzy work with the new nether network, you guys. Good work! As usual, I got myself thoroughly lost in the nether for a good while and panicked briefly before I found a corner and carefully worked my way back to the central area.

I was surprised to see that Minecraft still served me my custom texture pack with the server. I would have expected that to have broken because it's using an older technically incompatible format. I was thinking about taking a couple cycles on my end to fix a few issues and maybe add a couple more similar-looking alternatives for the new wood colors. I think the rest of the new stuff looks pretty good by default. I sure am glad Notch isn't in charge of all the art assets any more!

Are you guys still playing with the server-side texture pack enabled? If not, I might just make some tweaks for myself and let the published version quietly retire. If you are, though, I'll be happy to shove it back up on the internets.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2020-09-07, 19:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Are you guys still playing with the server-side texture pack enabled?
LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE without your glowstone and glass textures, Brad. Seriously.

The only thing that I noticed in 1.16 is that the new netherbrick blocks (cracked and chiseled) are darker than the blocks that make up the fortresses – you must've brightened those up at one point in the past. I agree that the newer default stuff is nice enough. Otherwise your texture pack has worked pretty great with each update.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-07, 22:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE without your glowstone and glass textures, Brad. Seriously.
I second that.

Also, is that texture pack downloadable somewhere? The kid and I are suffering with default glass on our home server.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-08, 13:10

Brad, the texture/resource pack is the same one you've had. I had to update the hash in the config which wasn't a problem, just had to figure out that it was even needed now.

If we want to make it publicly available we can do that through the MC server itself though I do not have port 80 going to it. Currently it is hosted on this forum server. I can make a link to it via my reverse proxy though. As of now, the naming is specific to the template name/version number. It is possible to have it symlinked through a generic filename though. That is really in Brad's hands though.

¡Damned!

2020-09-10, 12:51

Sooooo.... is it possible to get just flight turned on for a bit and not full-on Creative Mode? Tunneling is done and flight would be super helpful for finishing up the hangers and filling in the rest of the glass.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-10, 12:56

I'm not sure on that one? If you know it is you can tell me the command and I'll be happy to enable it for you. I'll try to get it looked up but dealing with some other things at the moment that need my attention.

¡Damned!

2020-09-10, 13:12

Hmm. Doesn't look like it's possible without a mod. Ah well, could you turn on Creative Mode for me then (no rush at all )? Thanks!