Send a message via AIM to Louie Send a message via MSN to Louie  
2006-01-11, 09:09

ok to keep it simple (yes or no)

is the intel core duo 64bit?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-01-11, 09:15

Lock.

This question should be in one of the other duo threads. Furthermore if you go to Intel's web site and do 5 minutes worth of reading you could answer your own question.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Louie
I hate content

2006-01-11, 09:33

what socket is that?
looks like 479 to me
64-bit? im guessing prolly not
cedega for intel macs? i REALLY hope so
anyone else wana add something?

spell checking?!?
halo1982

2006-01-11, 21:08

Not 64 bit, it's 32 bit.
Also, its socket 479, but they've moved a pin around making it incompatible with the old Socket 479.
Louie
I hate content

2006-01-11, 21:30

ah, yes...well

ill just though this out here while where at it, do you think rev b will be 2.0GHz. thats what i really want to see

edit: what about cedega? anyone?

spell checking?!?
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2006-01-11, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie
ah, yes...well

ill just though this out here while where at it, do you think rev b will be 2.0GHz. thats what i really want to see

edit: what about cedega? anyone?
What about Cedega? Why would you use it if you can put Windows on it (assuming it's dual bootable)?
Louie
I hate content

2006-01-12, 08:16

beacuse your assuming that windows will work

to get allitle side tracked, i do acculy use windows/linux (*gasp*) beacuse i have a love for hardware and the world of apple cant satisfy those needs...yet

spell checking?!?
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-01-12, 08:21

Quote:
beacuse your assuming that windows will work

to get allitle side tracked, i do acculy use windows/linux (*gasp*) beacuse i have a love for hardware and the world of apple cant satisfy those needs...yet
Current versions of Windows won't work (not without some serious modification, anyway) because the Intel Macs dont' use BIOS. Vista, however, should work.
lamarzocco

2006-01-12, 14:18

Quote:
ok to keep it simple (yes or no)

is the intel core duo 64bit?
nope, 32 bit, you'll have to wait for Merom. Merom is Core Duo's successor and should be available around september 06. Merom will be 64 bit and should be in place just in time for MS Vista..
Louie
I hate content

2006-01-12, 15:34

so...whos buying the 32-bit ones???
and, when is the MBP gona be 2GHz???
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-01-12, 15:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarzocco
nope, 32 bit, you'll have to wait for Merom. Merom is Core Duo's successor and should be available around september 06. Merom will be 64 bit and should be in place just in time for MS Vista..
Well that gives us a timeframe for the PowerMac replacements...
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-01-12, 16:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kickaha
Well that gives us a timeframe for the PowerMac replacements...
The next gen pro line of desktops (someone on this board called them the MacMac's, got a laugh outta that) will be probably using Conroe, which is the high powered desktop version of Merom. Meroms gonna go in all the other Mac's, cept the Mac mini, which they might just leave Yonah in for the time being. Once the release the Yonah Mac mini, that is. It's funny, given how big a deal their making about the Core Duo, given that it will be obsolete in about 8 months. I'm waitin for Merom MacBook's, then I'll replace my trusty PB G4.

As long as their not running on Pentium 4s, I'm happy. What a colossal faliure those chips were. "Scalable to 10 GHz" is what they said... right, as long as your bringing in glacial ice water to cool it.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Wraven

2006-01-12, 17:05

Nice rundown BlueMan,
Quickie note - just because the Mac Book Pro is not 64-bit, that doesn't mean it's a sub-par offering (I know you're not saying that - just don't want people to get the wrong impression).

Hell, it's the fastest notebook processor currently available (besides the DTRs which have full-fledged desktop processors and 15 minute battery lives).

The reason I just plunked down $3K for an MBP, AppleCare, and a Brenthaven Pro backpack is because my craptacular IBM StinkPad (1.8GHz Pentium M - not bad) ate it last week ("it" being the wood floor in my office - bye bye StinkPad ), and I was literally counting down the days to the keynote since then because I have not had any decent computer to work from since. My Mac mini, while a great machine, simply can't cut it for some of the work I do on a day-to-day basis, and I work all over the house and in my backyard. My Mac mini has no AE so it is pretty much tethered to my office. So I needed a new notebook now, and I wanted a Mac notebook, and I wanted the best one available, so I bought it now (holding to our addage here at AppleNova - if you need it now, buy it now, if you don't, then wait).

And when it arrives for all of us who ordered it, it will still be the fastest (Mac and maybe non-Mac) notebook available. Pretty cool, and well-priced IMO.

Cheers,
Wraven