Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

iMac OS question

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iMac OS question
osuchris

2006-06-20, 08:18

Hi all,

I am a PC user that is getting ready to jump to the Mac world. I am going to buy an iMac (Intel) but I am a little unfamiliar w/ how Apple handles OS upgrades. From what I am reading the newest upgrade to OS X (Leopard??) is coming soon. Generally how soon is soon? If it is in final beta testing would one expect it to be out in the next month or so? Does Apple do any sort of deals for someone who buys a mac w/ Tiger on it only to have a new version come out a short time later? Lastly is it worth postponing my purchase until Leopard is released? I appreciate you feedback.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-06-20, 08:39

Hi osuchris.

Welcome to AppleNova

OS upgrades are handled though an automatic update that checks for new updates every week, or whatever you set it to do. The update process isn't much to talk about, it just downloads and installs without requiring much attention from the user. Sometimes it needs to reboot but that's pretty much the biggest trouble I've ever had with updates. However, I do make a full back-up with an external HD and a program called SuperDuper! before any significant update. Just to be on the safe side.

Leopard is most likely due in Q1 2007, but we don't know for sure. Apple will probably make some sort of statement at their World Wide Developer Conference later this summer.

If you need your new Mac now I don't think you should wait more than a half year, just to start with Leopard. Upgrade prices aren't that big, and the productivity boost of getting a Mac over a PC is more than enough to justify a purchase without Leopard. Tiger really isn't that bad.
neiltc13

2006-06-20, 08:54

A number of reputable websites seem to be confused that Leopard will be out at the WWDC because Apple said they'd "preview" it there. Release will still be several months off, likely in 2007 as Mugge has said.
GladToBeHere

2006-06-20, 10:40

It'll cost $129, if the prices is as previous versions. Leopard will noy be downloaded, however. You'd have to buy it separately when it arrives, unless of course, you wait a buy your new Mac with it pre-installed.

And even though I think he's joking, Tiger isn't bad at all. It makes XP seem silly in a lot of ways.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-06-20, 13:36

Heh. Just realised that my previous post could give one the impression that the "big cat" releases are download-able.

Stupid me!

It's just the smaller updates as GladToBeHere says.

osuchris

2006-06-20, 13:47

Thanks for the information. I was afraid that Leopard would be coming out in a matter of weeks not months and I didn't want to buy the iMac and have the OS be a version off a month later. I am looking forward to getting my iMac this week and getting familiar w/ the OS and the hardware.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-06-20, 13:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge
Leopard is most likely due in Q1 2007, but we don't know for sure. Apple will probably make some sort of statement at their World Wide Developer Conference later this summer.
I'll expand on this briefly.

Registered developers always get preliminary, unfinished copies of major OS releases to work with so they can test their software and start implementing new features and to file bug reports with Apple. With Mac OS X, they have always had several months to do this before the final release. Developers have yet to see anything official about Mac OS X 10.5 and aren't expecting to see a developer version until WWDC in August. Yes, Apple has announced that developers will see 10.5 at WWDC ("including preview coverage of Mac OS X Leopard"). That puts an actual release date at the very end of 2006 at the earliest or more likely around January 2007 near the MacWorld conference.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-06-20, 14:26

Do it OSUdude!! I don't think you'll ever look back.

I didn't.