AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Managing client-side mods

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Managing client-side mods
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-22, 19:31

If you're no longer using Feed The Beast or some other prepackaged mod pack, you may find yourself missing out on some of the handy client-side mods that those packs supplied. I few mods I like to keep installed when playing vanilla include OptiFine, Rei's Minimap, and InventoryTweaks.

As I promised in the in-game chat, here's a very quick tutorial on easily getting these client mods running with a "vanilla" Minecraft installation. I do not promise that these instructions will work for everyone, all mods, or all versions. Your mileage my vary and you're on your own if this doesn't work for you.

Step 1: Acquire mods
Find and download the mods you want to use. Make note whether or not they are Forge mods. Read the installation instructions. Download any mod dependencies if necessary.

Step 2: Deal with Forge
If any of your mods require Forge, download a recent Forge installer. Run the installer jar, quit it, and restart Minecraft. You should have a new Forge release available if you edit your profile in the Minecraft launcher. Select the Forge version and start Minecraft. You may see Minecraft downloading stuff the first time. This is normal. Once Minecraft is running, quit Minecraft.

Step 3: Install Forge plugins
If any of your mods use Forge, put them in your ~/library/application support/minecraft/mods folder. InventoryTweaks and Rei's Minimap should both go there if you use them.

Step 4: Deal with non-Forge plugins
If any of your mods do not use Forge, you should use Magic Launcher to manage them to keep things easy. If you don't use something like Magic Launcher, you're going to have to manually extract and rebuild jar files. Good luck with that if it's your cup of tea; I'll pass! So, put your non-Forge plugins somewhere (preferably *not* in the "mods" folder that Forge uses). Open Magic Launcher, click Setup, and click Add in the middle "Mods" section. Find and add your non-Forge mods.

Step 5: Deal with a mixed Forge *and* non-Forge environment
If you have a mix of Forge and non-Forge mods, do all of the previous steps, but amend Step 4 slightly. When you hit Setup, choose the Forge environment from the menu at the top. Once everything is set up, it should look something (but probably not exactly) like this:

Yes, it's OK that ReiMinimap has the redtext message in the status field.

Step 6: Deal with incompatibilities

They're bound to happen, but it's up to you to resolve them. For example, OptiFine is generally angry with Forge and requires you to set "-Dfml.ignorePatchDiscrepancies=true" as a JVM parameter. Always read the installation instructions that come with mods; people tend to have already figured out and documented these issues.

Dunzo.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-07-22, 21:48

Does this work with the thingy we're running now?

My guess this note is for people running the Feed the Beast version on their own machines, privately.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-22, 22:00

This works on our current server. I've been on this setup for the last week, and InvaderJak and gerlocian have recently set up something similar on their own.

This basically makes some of the client-side-only mods from FTB available with our current setup.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-07-22, 22:25

Oh well then it would be neat to have a "what's your favorite mod" discussion - I'm such an infrequent gamer I'd never go looking for things without recommendations.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-07-23, 00:49

This is a list of mods for 1.6.2, for anybody else who's as dumb as I am about this.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2013-07-23, 16:20

rarely now do you have to modify the minecraft.jar file -- most compatible mods build on forge or equivalent systems, even some of the more game changing mods (which does include optifine)...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-07-23, 23:10

Okay, I know that it's easy for you guys, but I'm having problems getting any of the installer jars to work. Could you provide a little more hand-holding for the installation of the Forge thingy? I'm still plugging away but finding radically different variations in the process by various 13 year old boys with heavy accents. Is it part of help videos that the presenter is ALWAYS a minor from Latvia and a quiet talker to boot? Sheesh.

I thought that I nearly had the right course of action with this page.... LINKY

But no dice.

Captain Drew on Twitter

Last edited by drewprops : 2013-07-23 at 23:35.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-24, 07:51

I'll put something together for you later tonight, cap'n.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-07-24, 23:08

Dellphi said that you're using a different launcher than the one that came with the vanilla installation... maybe that's my problem?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-24, 23:43

Yeah, see Step 4 and the link to Magic Launcher.

I didn't get a chance to put together more detailed instructions tonight. I'll make a video tomorrow night showing the step-by-step process.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-25, 22:00

Youtube to the rescue!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duUjtS-EDXM

Here's the tutorial video I promised, Drew. Sorry for the delay! This should get you at least through steps 1, 2, and 3 above.

Please excuse the occasional pops on the audio. I don't have a fancy microphone screen or anything like the professionals do.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-07-26, 01:46

OMG Brad sounds like a nerd.

Edit: a really professional nerd. No "erms" or "uhhhs". Good work.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2013-07-26, 22:27

Brad's voice is not what I expected. O_o
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-26, 23:16

The illusion is shattered.

Off-topic (click to toggle):
Though I am quite curious how you expected me to sound.

I'll be making another video tomorrow showing how to get Magic Launcher working appropriately with Forge and non-Forge mods.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-07-26, 23:40

Please make sure to mention in the next video if it should come BEFORE or after the first video

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-27, 16:32

As promised, here's part two!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knEkH7DaK4U

This should get you through steps 4 and 5 from the first post.

I considered faking an accent for this one, but I gave up when I realized it could only make things worse.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2013-07-28, 01:06

I'd almost imagined your voice as more like Nick from Grimm or something like that. Just not what I expected - not meant in a bad way!

There's a part of me that wonders about doing some sort of Team Speak for the server (shatter ALL the illusions!), but I know not all of us would have mics and be able to do something like that.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
SpecMode
Wait what

2013-07-28, 01:40

Yeah, I had suggested that a while back. The reception to the idea was, by and large...less then enthusiastic. Still, I'd be willing to give it a shot at some point - for the amusement value, if nothing else.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-07-28, 08:49

Dellphi and I have played Minecraft while talking on the phone and it's a lot of fun.

The Ventrillo server thing is apparently pretty common to other gamers.

The advantage of Ventrillo over Skype (I'm told) is that in Skype one person has to be the linchpin of the conversation.
If they "hang up" the whole conversation is taken offline.

Ventrillo acts as a meeting room that anybody can enter and leave (I think?)

With 2 people it's a lot of fun, with 5 it would probably be bedlam - but I've never played multi-player games with voice communication before. I know people play it on their gaming consoles on those military adventure first person shooter games.

Captain Drew on Twitter
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-28, 13:16

So... have these instructions actually been useful to anyone?

I was chatting with turtle in-game, and even though he followed my steps, it seems that Optifine was still having serious performance problems for him.

One thing you may want to try if you're also having issues with Optifine is experimenting with the different editions of Optifine. The developer releases standard, ultimate, light, and sometimes more versions. It's really unclear which is supposed to be the best for any given environment. So, experimentation is almost mandatory.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2013-07-28, 14:06

Instructions worked fine for me.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-08-07, 17:41

WHAT other mods are you people using?

What do you recommend that I give a whirl?

Brad, I've used the first instructions and they worked great.

The trick was knowing to select the asterisk - how was I supposed to know to do that previously?? (to no one in particular)

I haven't tried the optifine part yet. While I do like some of the stuff it does I don't like the way it does water for some reason. Still, I may try it out for its ability to give me sniper mode.

Captain Drew on Twitter
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2013-08-07, 18:19

Yeah, I can't get Optifine to work at all. It says it's working in the launcher, but once the game boots, it's not there. I can live without it (I get about 25fps without, and more like 40 when it used to work).
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-08-07, 18:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
The trick was knowing to select the asterisk - how was I supposed to know to do that previously?? (to no one in particular)
Pretty sure I said "asterisk" in my narration of the Forge video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I haven't tried the optifine part yet. While I do like some of the stuff it does I don't like the way it does water for some reason.
Like everything else OptiFine modifies, you can turn off the customization and have it use "default" water settings.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-08-07, 20:08

Oh now, I was saying that your video SHOWED that to me!!! Thank you for that little detail, it made ALL the difference in the world!

I really love the flying mod!!! Woo hoo!!!

Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2013-08-08, 16:43

Just loaded the REI and Sort Loot mods, but now Magic Launcher is giving me shit.

Code:
*** MagicMinecraftLauncher 1.1.7 *** LCP: /Users/Hydrus/Library/Application Support/minecraft/thirdpartymods/OptiFine_1.6.2_HD_U_B4.zip;/Users/Hydrus/Library/Application Support/minecraft/versions/1.6.2-Forge9.10.0.804/1.6.2-Forge9.10.0.804.jar;/Users/Hydrus/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/net/minecraftforge/minecraftforge/9.10.0.804/minecraftforge-9.10.0.804.jar;/Users/Hydrus/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/net/minecraft/launchwrapper/1.3/launchwrapper-1.3.jar;/Users/Hydrus/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/org/ow2/asm/asm-all/4.1/asm-all-4.1.jar;/Users/Hydrus/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/net/sf/jopt-simple/jopt-simple/4.5/jopt-simple-4.5.jar;/Users/Hydrus/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/lzma/lzma/0.0.1/lzma-0.0.1.jar;/Users/Hydrus/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/com/paulscode/codecjorbis/20101023/codecjorbis-20101023.jar;/Users/Hydrus/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/com/paulscode/codecwav/20101023/codecwav-20101023.jar;/Users/Hydrus/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/com/paulscode/libraryjavasound/20101123/libraryjavasound-20101123.jar;/Users/Hydrus/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/com/paulscode/librarylwjglopenal/20100824/librarylwjglopenal-20100824.jar;/Users/Hydrus/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/com/paulscode/soundsystem/20120107/soundsystem-20120107.jar;/Users/Hydrus/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/org/lwjgl/lwjgl/lwjgl/2.9.0/lwjgl-2.9.0.jar;/Users/Hydrus/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/org/lwjgl/lwjgl/lwjgl_util/2.9.0/lwjgl_util-2.9.0.jar;/Users/Hydrus/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/argo/argo/2.25_fixed/argo-2.25_fixed.jar;/Users/Hydrus/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/org/bouncycastle/bcprov-jdk15on/1.47/bcprov-jdk15on-1.47.jar;/Users/Hydrus/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/com/google/guava/guava/14.0/guava-14.0.jar;/Users/Hydrus/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/org/apache/commons/commons-lang3/3.1/commons-lang3-3.1.jar;/Users/Hydrus/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/commons-io/commons-io/2.4/commons-io-2.4.jar;/Users/Hydrus/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/net/java/jinput/jinput/2.0.5/jinput-2.0.5.jar;/Users/Hydrus/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/net/java/jutils/jutils/1.0.0/jutils-1.0.0.jar;/Users/Hydrus/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/com/google/code/gson/gson/2.2.2/gson-2.2.2.jar;/Users/Hydrus/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/org/lwjgl/lwjgl/lwjgl/2.9.0/lwjgl-2.9.0.jar;/Users/Hydrus/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/org/lwjgl/lwjgl/lwjgl_util/2.9.0/lwjgl_util-2.9.0.jar;/Users/Hydrus/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/org/lwjgl/lwjgl/lwjgl-platform/2.9.0/lwjgl-platform-2.9.0-natives-osx.jar;/Users/Hydrus/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/org/lwjgl/lwjgl/lwjgl/2.9.1-nightly-20130708-debug3/lwjgl-2.9.1-nightly-20130708-debug3.jar;/Users/Hydrus/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/org/lwjgl/lwjgl/lwjgl_util/2.9.1-nightly-20130708-debug3/lwjgl_util-2.9.1-nightly-20130708-debug3.jar;/Users/Hydrus/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/org/lwjgl/lwjgl/lwjgl-platform/2.9.1-nightly-20130708-debug3/lwjgl-platform-2.9.1-nightly-20130708-debug3-natives-osx.jar;/Users/Hydrus/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/net/java/jinput/jinput-platform/2.0.5/jinput-platform-2.0.5-natives-osx.jar ShowLog: true MainClass: net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch Restoring disabled mods: mods Disable inactive mods: mods Restoring disabled mods: coremods Disable inactive mods: coremods Aug 8, 2013 5:31:02 PM net.minecraft.launchwrapper.LogWrapper log INFO: Using tweak class name cpw.mods.fml.common.launcher.FMLTweaker 2013-08-08 17:31:02 [INFO] [ForgeModLoader] Forge Mod Loader version 6.2.35.804 for Minecraft 1.6.2 loading 2013-08-08 17:31:02 [INFO] [ForgeModLoader] Java is Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM, version 1.6.0_51, running on Mac OS X:x86_64:10.7.5, installed at /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home 2013-08-08 17:31:02 [WARNING] [ForgeModLoader] The coremod invtweaks.forge.asm.FMLPlugin does not have a MCVersion annotation, it may cause issues with this version of Minecraft 2013-08-08 17:31:02 [INFO] [STDOUT] Loaded 39 rules from AccessTransformer config file fml_at.cfg 2013-08-08 17:31:02 [INFO] [STDOUT] Loaded 107 rules from AccessTransformer config file forge_at.cfg 2013-08-08 17:31:05 [INFO] [ForgeModLoader] Found valid fingerprint for Minecraft Forge. Certificate fingerprint e3c3d50c7c986df74c645c0ac54639741c90a557 2013-08-08 17:31:05 [INFO] [ForgeModLoader] Found valid fingerprint for Minecraft. Certificate fingerprint cd99959656f753dc28d863b46769f7f8fbaefcfc 2013-08-08 17:31:05 [INFO] [ForgeModLoader] Launching wrapped minecraft 2013-08-08 17:31:08 [INFO] [Minecraft-Client] Setting user: greychristian 2013-08-08 17:31:08 [INFO] [Minecraft-Client] (Session ID is -8798524218542302517) 2013-08-08 17:31:09 [SEVERE] [ForgeModLoader] There is a binary discrepency between the expected input class net.minecraft.client.settings.GameSettings (aui) and the actual class. Checksum on disk is 18272e3f, in patch 316717c8. Things are probably about to go very wrong. Did you put something into the jar file? 2013-08-08 17:31:09 [SEVERE] [ForgeModLoader] The game is going to exit, because this is a critical error, and it is very improbable that the modded game will work, please obtain clean jar files. 2013-08-08 17:31:09 [INFO] [STDOUT] Restoring disabled mods: mods 2013-08-08 17:31:09 [INFO] [STDOUT] Restoring disabled mods: coremods

The vanilla MC launcher works fine with both the new mods installed, but Magic Launcher has seen fit to pull a fit. Any suggestions?

(I didn't put squat into the .jar file like it's accusing. For one I wouldn't have the first clue how to do that.)

[edit]
Quote:
For example, OptiFine is generally angry with Forge and requires you to set "-Dfml.ignorePatchDiscrepancies=true" as a JVM parameter.
How does one do this? I think this may be the problem.

[edit2]: Oh shits. After some searching I'm realizing this is far above my pay grade... no way am I digging into this shit. Vanilla it is!

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2013-08-08 at 17:34.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-10-04, 20:46

Found it Drew!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-10-04, 20:46

bump ^^ on account of the new 1.6.4 update

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-10-04, 21:38

This forge: http://files.minecraftforge.net/mine...9.11.1.916.jar

This Inventory Tweaks: http://build.technicpack.net/job/Inv...2-1.56-b77.jar

Mini Map worked fine for me.

I did have to wipe my whole "minecraft" folder though. Mine still had Tekkit, FTB and beta stuff from MC in it though. It was my original MC folder.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2013-10-08, 18:18

Hey Brad, I went to install Rei's Minimap with MagicLauncher. I'm getting everything to appear similar to your setup with it, but when I go to actually play, there's nothing there. Not sure if I'm just missing something along the way? Or is there an issue with it not being updated 1.6.4?

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards