Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

mini USB 2.0 to Firewire 400 cable?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
mini USB 2.0 to Firewire 400 cable?
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2007-04-11, 03:25

Anyone know where I can purchase such a cable? I couldn't find it in any on-line store (the ones I checked so far in Europe), so I am not sure if such a cable exists. Please let me know if you could find one, preferably in Europe. Thanks

MacBook with Super Glue...seriously though
Jerman

2007-04-11, 03:35

No such cable exists. They are so different, I do not think such an interface is possible. Out of curiosity, what exactly are you trying to accomplish?
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2007-04-11, 03:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerman
Out of curiosity, what exactly are you trying to accomplish?
Well I got this Trekstor Datastation Pocket HDD as a gift. Problem is that it has a USB 2.0 Y-connection cable, which I have to plug both in it to work properly (mentioned in the manual, in order to ensure enough electricity is receiving to the HDD). I have a MBP, where the USB ports are faaaar apart from each other so I can't plug both. So, I was actually wondering having a mini USB 2.0 to firewire 400 cable might overcome this problem. Was my thought right?

digitalprimate

2007-04-11, 04:16

How about using:
A USB-hub where there are numerous ports (closely together) so you can plug in both USB-plugs.
Or getting an extension cable with a female usb on one side and a male usb plug on the other.
Or, just plug in the one cable, since it actually gives enough power to the pocket drive for most applications (except if you would want to capture video directly from a camcorder to that drive).
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2007-04-11, 04:39

First two options, well no thanks. I am actually doing the last one, and was wondering if such a (mini USB 2.0 to Firewire 400) cable existed it would be easier. Since the answer is no, I will continue using it with one cable. Thanks for the replies.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-04-11, 06:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman009 View Post
Problem is that it has a USB 2.0 Y-connection cable, which I have to plug both in it to work properly
Yeouch! That technique (using an additional USB port for one and the same device in order to supply sufficient power), while sadly rather common with low-cost drives these days, is non-standard and bound to cause havoc. As in, kernel panics.

My advice: if possible, return the gift and replace it with a proper enclosure, preferably with combo USB / FireWire ports. You could save yourself a lot of trouble.
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2007-04-11, 06:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
replace it with a proper enclosure, preferably with combo USB / FireWire ports. You could save yourself a lot of trouble.
Since I can't return the gift (don't have the reciept, and can't ask for it), would it be possible (more like wise) to just take the HDD out and replace it with a proper enclosure? if you check the gallery, there is one USB 2.0 mini port. Can't I just then get a USB mini 2.0 to regular USB 2.0 cable and plug it in or this enclosure specifically made to power up with 2-Y connectors?

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-04-11, 07:17

Quote:
Since I can't return the gift (don't have the reciept, and can't ask for it), would it be possible (more like wise) to just take the HDD out and replace it with a proper enclosure? if you check the gallery, there is one USB 2.0 mini port. Can't I just then get a USB mini 2.0 to regular USB 2.0 cable and plug it in or this enclosure specifically made to power up with 2-Y connectors?
Swapping out the drive into a better enclosure shouldn't be a problem. I'd bet it's just a standard 2.5" drive in the enclosure. Get an enclosure made for 2.5" drives from newegg or something and swap it out.

I have no idea what you're talking about with your "mini USB to regular USB" question.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2007-04-11, 08:04

If I buy another enclosure with USB 2.0, what is the difference to the one that I already have? Because all the enclosures I have checked either have USB 2.0 and external power port or just USB 2.0 and 2-Y connector.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-04-11, 09:50

Quote:
If I buy another enclosure with USB 2.0, what is the difference to the one that I already have? Because all the enclosures I have checked either have USB 2.0 and external power port or just USB 2.0 and 2-Y connector.
Without adding a power plug you're going to have a Y-USB cable. Some might give you a pass-through, but the HDD itself must draw more power than a single USB port can give. (500mA I think.)

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2007-04-11, 10:05

Darn, I always thought that 2.5" HDDs can be used without additional power. Thanks for the reply though
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2007-04-11, 10:07

I would suggest getting something like this.

it has firewire 400 and usb 2. May be a little more expensive that what you can find at newegg, but it does have a dual interface.
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2007-04-11, 10:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kretara View Post
I would suggest getting something like this.

it has firewire 400 and usb 2. May be a little more expensive that what you can find at newegg, but it does have a dual interface.
The problem is not finding a dual interface case, but having to plug-in either external power supply or additional USB connection. Yeah I think I will go with a dual-interface case anyways as I prefer firewire connection than USB 2.0

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-04-11, 10:28

You won't need another power source with FW either. It's your best option.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2007-04-11, 14:06

I had a drive with a Y cable and hated it so I started using a normal cable. It worked. Just try it with a normal cable to see if your drive works too. If not, an error will be displayed or the drive won't mount.

But I never had a problem with power since the switch.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2007-04-11, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby View Post
I had a drive with a Y cable and hated it so I started using a normal cable. It worked. Just try it with a normal cable to see if your drive works too. If not, an error will be displayed or the drive won't mount.

But I never had a problem with power since the switch.
yeah at the moment I am using it with one cable, and it woks fine, just don't want to screw-up my computer as chucker mentioned
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-04-11, 16:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
As in, kernel panics.
I can vouch for that.
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2007-04-11, 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
As in, kernal panics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
I can vouch for that.
Well I don't use it often, so hopefully I won't get a kernal panic
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-04-11, 16:47

It would kernel panic if I woke my Mini with the drive attached on occasion. The times it didn't, finder would crash.