User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Mini DisplayPort to HDMI

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mini DisplayPort to HDMI
Justin

2009-02-24, 15:21

I have a new unibody macbook and was wondering if anyone knows anything about this. I have videos on my laptop and would be cool to take it to a friends house and plug it right into the TV and play from the laptop...oh and control it using the iTunes remote for the iPhone

So I wanted to know if there are any cables out yet, if so has anyone tried this, what cable they used, and where to buy it.

Thanks!

Last edited by Justin : 2009-02-24 at 15:35.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2009-02-24, 15:26

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

ETA: 15th March.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-02-24, 15:27

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Not available yet, but you can have it notify you when it does become available.

Keep in mind, that is just an adapter. You'll have to get a cable as well, and Monoprice is a great place for cables.

EDIT: Beaten!
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2009-02-24, 15:28

!Bam!

I have my eye on one for the exact same thing. I'll need a HDMI TV, mind.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-02-24, 15:33

I have a cable with DVI on one end and HDMI on the other. Granted, this isn't carrying sound - but I have a sound system that accepts toslink from the laptop. A runaround but if time's an issue it might work for you.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Justin

2009-02-24, 15:35

Wow, you guys are fast! I just started googling around more and found that same link and was going to update my own post, guess I should have just waited 5 mins and refreshed this page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Keep in mind, that is just an adapter. You'll have to get a cable as well, and Monoprice is a great place for cables
I buy all my cables from mono! I even got my slim wall mount for my LCD from there! Great quality and prices that put retail shops to shame!

Oh, does anyone know when using the mDP if you can shut the lid of the macbook without putting it to sleep?

Last edited by Justin : 2009-02-24 at 15:49.
artesc

2009-02-24, 22:15

There is no way to disable the sleep mode that the laptop goes into when you close the lid...at least, not from apple.

Enter InsomniaX!

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/30315

artesc all the way!
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-02-25, 00:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Oh, does anyone know when using the mDP if you can shut the lid of the macbook without putting it to sleep?
No, but you should be able to wake it from sleep with an external keyboard or mouse and just use your external display. Clamshell mode, IIRC. There was a thread about it.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-03-22, 15:29

I didn't know the best place to post this. I didn't really want to start a new thread, and this is about miniDP.

Does miniDP carry sound? Is there anyway we would know this without a miniDP to HDMI adapter? I can't think of anything that might use a miniDP with speakers. And I can't find any information about this on Apple's site. Saw a blurb about it on wikipedia but there's no citation, so I can't take that for fact.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-03-22, 15:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Does miniDP carry sound? Is there anyway we would know this without a miniDP to HDMI adapter? I can't think of anything that might use a miniDP with speakers. And I can't find any information about this on Apple's site.
Unclear.
  • It does have the same number of pins as regular-sized DP.
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_DisplayPort claims:
    Quote:
    Current Mini DisplayPort adaptors do not support audio (although the port itself does)[citation needed].
  • The LCD Cinema Display appears to pass audio through USB, not through mDP, suggesting the port may not support it.
  • displayport.org is still a freaking useless site.
Justin

2009-03-24, 09:02

3 days plus shipping left (hopefully) to find out!

Last edited by Justin : 2009-03-24 at 13:26.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2009-03-24, 11:23

The only thing worse than needing an adapter for your obscure Apple video port is not being able to get an adapter at all.

I'd luurve to buy one of those 24" LED displays, but it looks like it won't happen before I get around to replacing my current MBP.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-03-24, 11:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
The only thing worse than needing an adapter for your obscure Apple video port is not being able to get an adapter at all.

I'd luurve to buy one of those 24" LED displays, but it looks like it won't happen before I get around to replacing my current MBP.

That's not a port problem. The LED display simply uses DisplayPort's signaling, rather than channeling DVI through. You'd have the same issue with any other display that uses DisplayPort internally.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2009-03-25, 02:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
That's not a port problem. The LED display simply uses DisplayPort's signaling, rather than channeling DVI through. You'd have the same issue with any other display that uses DisplayPort internally.
So you can't make a DVI to MiniDP converter? Oh well, I'll just have to wait.

Justin

2009-03-30, 20:01

Got this ordered today, should have it in a few days!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-03-30, 21:02

Let me know how it is! BTW, from Gizmodo's review, the MacBook and MacBook Pro's implementation of mini-DP does not support audio, so you might want to add a mini Toslink to your order if you still can.

Oh, and:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engadget: "Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapters now available for under $20"
Got a Mini DisplayPort equipped laptop or video card and need to connect it to something... um, not Mini DisplayPort? If you've got a crisp Andrew Jackson, then Monoprice has an adapter for you...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engadget commenter
Where do you guys keep getting these people names for various amounts of money?! Is there a list somewhere that I don't know about?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Justin

2009-04-02, 14:52

No sound yet, but the adapter does support sound. Probably just need a firmware update from Apple.

So far it's pretty good. Only trouble I'm having is making the window open fullscreen on the device it's on. Right now I drag to the TV and then command F and it slide back to the macbook and goes full.

I can trick it into going full on the TV by going to mirror mode, going FS, and then switching back to non mirror.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-04-02, 15:33

Have you tried making the external monitor your primary one? You should be able to do that by dragging the menubar (not the actual one, just the one in the Displays pref pane) to the other monitor.

Another option is to use VLC, which will fullscreen on whichever screen it's on. I think you can also use the "Present Movie" option to play it on either screen in QuickTime, but I'm not sure.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2009-04-02, 15:53

Quote:
Another option is to use VLC, which will fullscreen on whichever screen it's on. I think you can also use the "Present Movie" option to play it on either screen in QuickTime, but I'm not sure.
This is what I used to use in college when I had my Powerbook hooked up to my tv. That way I could sit at my desk and do work and mess around and have some tv shows or movies or whatever I had playing in VLC going.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Justin

2009-04-02, 16:51

Quote:
Have you tried making the external monitor your primary one? You should be able to do that by dragging the menubar (not the actual one, just the one in the Displays pref pane) to the other monitor.

Thanks for the tips. In the preferences > full screen, you can select which monitor you want!

Here's the quick review I did for my blog:
http://whenwillapple.com/blog/2009/0...-hdmi-adapter/

Last edited by Justin : 2009-04-02 at 17:09.