Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Retina iPad Mini

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Retina iPad Mini
Quagmire
meh

2013-11-12, 00:42

Might as well start a thread for the retina iPad Mini since it doesn't have one yet. Signs pointing towards November 12( today for us east coasters) for it launching.

Anyone going to get one? I was originally going to get the iPad Mini for my mom when it gained the retina display before that plan changed with me getting the Air and she my old iPad 3.

With it having the same specs pretty much( outside screen size) as the Air, it's going to be impressive. Especially since it is a pixel dense display with it having the same res as the Air. Though the rumors of LCD burn in would scare me buying one right now.

giggity
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2013-11-12, 00:54

I'm considering one to replace my iPad 3 - but its going to be a hard sell, to be honest.

I'm not really worried about LCD burn in (I hadn't even heard of it actually), Apple has been very good in replacing my hardware if there is anything wrong.

I seem to recall a similar issue with rMBPs, aren't those being replaced as they are brought in for repairs?

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Quagmire
meh

2013-11-12, 01:11

The burn in is the rumored cause of the rumored mini shortage.
gsxrboy

2013-11-12, 02:34

I'll be ordering one as soon as the buy button is smashable.
Partial
Stallion

2013-11-12, 09:21

Ordered one for my wife. I used to have Mini for work but I recently switched jobs so I no longer have one. Tempted to buy one for myself, but can't justify it right now.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2013-11-12, 11:49

I'm really tempted to buy this, but I recently bought a Nexus 7 with 32GB, for something like $200 less and it just seems like the iPad Mini is not enough of an upgrade to justify the cost. To be honest, I'm not sure it's an upgrade. Period. As it is I have an iPad Retina sitting around collecting dust since I got the Nexus 7.
Quagmire
meh

2013-11-12, 13:42

The iPad Mini uses the 5s's A7 clocked at 1.3 Ghz. Scored 2512 on Geekbench 3's multi-core test. While lower than the Air's 2856 score, it's still 5x faster than the original Mini with its legacy A5 CPU.

So is 100 Mhz and 1.8" bigger screen worth $100 to you guys?

Also, appears only the Northeast Apple Stores are getting the love with stock of WiFi only models. The rest of the country doesn't appear to be getting any stock.

giggity
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2013-11-12, 14:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
The iPad Mini uses the 5s's A7 clocked at 1.3 Ghz. Scored 2512 on Geekbench 3's multi-core test. While lower than the Air's 2856 score, it's still 5x faster than the original Mini with its legacy A5 CPU.

So is 100 Mhz and 1.8" bigger screen worth $100 to you guys?

1.8" bigger than what? The Nexus 7 is 7" and the iPad Mini is 7.8", rigth?
Quagmire
meh

2013-11-12, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
1.8" bigger than what? The Nexus 7 is 7" and the iPad Mini is 7.8", rigth?
The Air.

That's part of the reason I changed my plan and went with the Air. For me the $100 difference wasn't a great value for me to get the retina iPad Mini for my mom. I understand the smaller form factor is a huge deal for people and the size of the iPad Air is still a bit too big. But, for me I figured I would just upgrade from my iPad 3 and give it to my mom since there is only a $100 difference. If the iPad Mini was still priced at $329, it would be a different story.

giggity
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2013-11-12, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
The Air.

That's part of the reason I changed my plan and went with the Air. For me the $100 difference wasn't a great value for me to get the retina iPad Mini for my mom. I understand the smaller form factor is a huge deal for people and the size of the iPad Air is still a bit too big. But, for me I figured I would just upgrade from my iPad 3 and give it to my mom since there is only a $100 difference. If the iPad Mini was still priced at $329, it would be a different story.
I'm such an Apple whore. I just ordered the iPad Mini Retina despite my earlier protestation.

Now I need to find buyers for my Nexus 7 and my iPad Retina.
Partial
Stallion

2013-11-12, 16:51

Where are all of the reviews for this? Seems weird to me that they're not out yet.
Quagmire
meh

2013-11-12, 16:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
Where are all of the reviews for this? Seems weird to me that they're not out yet.
Probably due to the quiet release, Apple didn't give the media advance units.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-11-12, 19:45

I didn't see it advertised at the event that a 128GB Mini would be available. It is available though! Did I just miss that in the original announcement?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
gsxrboy

2013-11-12, 19:59

Started cycle home keeping an eye on the time, (as it looked like 4pm local was store return time), stopped, grabbed phone, loaded store app, purchased, continued cycle home!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-11-12, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I didn't see it advertised at the event that a 128GB Mini would be available. It is available though! Did I just miss that in the original announcement?
I think it got a really quick mention, but I'm not sure. Yeah, I thought that was great...it was one of those things I was hoping they'd do prior to the event two weeks ago. Actually, I was hoping they'd make everything 32/64/128, but this is an acceptable second.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2013-11-15, 17:56

Guess what came today?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-11-15, 19:44

So I found out that you can't walk into the Norfolk Apple Store and buy a Retina mini. You have to order it online for in-store pickup. Sure you can order it in the store on one of the computers, but they assured me you couldn't just buy it. I thought this was odd, but didn't really matter since you could buy online and pick up in the store.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2013-11-16, 01:12

Okay, wow - these reported image retention issues are quite serious looking. Although, I guess it should be pointed out that the conditions to achieve this level of retention seem rather artificial - to me.

I have also read that the retina iPad Mini has a smaller color gamut than the iPad Air - although I doubt I'd notice that...

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Eugene
careful with axes

2013-11-16, 01:46

Doesn't matter if it's artificial...no modern LCD panel should ever suffer from image retention like that. And if you think about it, what's the most likely place for this to crop up...the Apple Store where the iPad minis are almost always sitting there on the home screen.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2013-11-16, 05:51

Article suggests that it's an IGZO problem, and that some displays seem fine while others don't - do all the displays come from one source? Also suggests a slightly smaller color gamut on the mini. I thought Apple was working pretty well to get the same out of box calibration on all their retina displays and iMacs.

Eugene
careful with axes

2013-11-16, 06:23

minis = LG or Samsung
Airs = LG