User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Apple introduces Boot Camp (Boot Windows XP on Mac)!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple introduces Boot Camp (Boot Windows XP on Mac)!
Page 14 of 14 First Previous 10 11 12 13 [14]  Thread Tools
tacvbo83

2006-04-10, 20:04

Just noticed 2 things after BootCamp removal.

1) The sound that would go away when either PhotoBooth was turned on or when my MBP was plugged in to a power source now just goes away with opening PhotoBooth. I guess Apple will have a fix for this in the future, hopefully.

2) A loud fan-like noise came up all of a sudden going down minute by minute until I could just hear it alittle. This was the same noise that made me take off XP in the first place. Probably I just freaked out and it is normal for that loud fan to come on since the MBP does get hot. Does anyone else get this? If it is normal, I shall try BootCamp again since I have not heard any bad things about it. EDIT: well I guess it is normal because the loud noise is gone for noe

Last edited by tacvbo83 : 2006-04-10 at 20:25.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-04-10, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacvbo83
2) A loud fan-like noise came up all of a sudden going down minute by minute until I could just hear it alittle. This was the same noise that made me take off XP in the first place. Probably I just freaked out and it is normal for that loud fan to come on since the MBP does get hot. Does anyone else get this? If it is normal, I shall try BootCamp again since I have not heard any bad things about it. EDIT: well I guess it is normal because the loud noise is gone for noe
This may not be relevant, but when XP boots on my laptop, Compaq; not Apple, the fans go to their highest speed until booting is complete. This happens well after the BIOS screen, once booting is underway. Perhaps this is a default thing for Windows. I really don't know.
clintonintern

2006-04-11, 14:02

Now that Boot Camp is in the wild and successfully put through its paces, I was curious to know what everyone would install on their XP partition and why. For me, I'm going with Microsoft Office and Photoshop cause I need it for work.

Anyone else?

Yanked cause people think its spam...we can just enumerate.

1) office
2) photoshop
3) hl2

Last edited by clintonintern : 2006-04-11 at 14:33.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-04-11, 14:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintonintern
Now that Boot Camp is in the wild and successfully put through its paces, I was curious to know what everyone would install on their XP partition and why. For me, I'm going with Microsoft Office and Photoshop cause I need it for work.

Anyone else?

Poll on Blab List
This sounds like spam.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2006-04-11, 14:44

Both Office and Photoshop work fine in OSX!

Half-Life 2, Already installed - runs very nice and looks great at 1680x1050 Possibly Visual Studio 2005. To make it perfectly clear, only stuff I can't run under OSX.

Oh, and for now - I have already removed Boot Camp and returned to just OSX. Why? Because I have top of the line (almost) PC gear sat here. When it next comes time to replace it, I won't. I'll just dig out Boot Camp.

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-04-11, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Both Office and Photoshop work fine in OSX!
And as Steve Jobs has shown us so many times, Photoshop is much, much faster on the Mac.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2006-04-11, 17:51

Especially when ran in Rosetta.
tacvbo83

2006-04-11, 18:42

Weirdest thing happened right now when starting up my MBP. It stayed on the gray screen more than usual to then flashing an Apple(like normal), then a box with a "?", and then back to normal with the Apple started. I might be wrong I after taking out BootCamp I have been noticing several issues here and there like this one.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-04-11, 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacvbo83
Weirdest thing happened right now when starting up my MBP. It stayed on the gray screen more than usual to then flashing an Apple(like normal), then a box with a "?", and then back to normal with the Apple started. I might be wrong I after taking out BootCamp I have been noticing several issues here and there like this one.
Go into System Preferences (on the Apple menu). Then click the Startup Disk preference pane (in the System row). Manually select the OS X option then click Restart.

I ran into this when I was switching between Jaguar on an external disk and Tiger on the internal disk. It tried to find the external disk and couldn't (hence the ? icon), then found the internal Tiger install and booted that. Once I used the Startup Disk pane to point to Tiger and restarted, all the ? icons at startup went away.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-04-11, 19:32

I told you, tacvbo83, that you shouldn't have tried this. Sorry. It had to be said.
tacvbo83

2006-04-11, 20:45

thanks bassplayinMacFiend, works fine now

tori...it is not like I am a begginner with computers, i did everything to the letter and just tried to install norton