User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Apple introduces Boot Camp (Boot Windows XP on Mac)!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple introduces Boot Camp (Boot Windows XP on Mac)!
Page 2 of 14 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-04-05, 08:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmexico
Anyone have a theory as to how a windows virus would effect the mac operating system on the same machine?
In general, it wouldn't affect it at all. The only possibility is that your data might be at risk while running Windows IF you've got your Mac's partition mounted in Windows. This won't happen by accident because XP won't natively read an HFS+ formatted drive. You'd have to install something like MacDrive from mediafour in order for it to be mounted and at risk.

So, if you don't do anything like that, you won't be putting your data at risk. Probably. I suppose something could get in and mess with the Windows boot sector and potentially affect it but that's HIGHLY unlikely.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-04-05, 08:56

I suspect there will be new viruses that use the explicit vulnerabilities of windows to get into osx...
mooty

2006-04-05, 08:57

Quote:
Anyone have a theory as to how a windows virus would effect the mac operating system on the same machine?
Depends on the virus obviously... A virus that deletes stuff in the windows directory isnt going to affect OS X. However, I am not sure of the implications of someone creating a virus that is brought in via Windows, but actually affects the OS X filesystem.. in fact, I am not even sure that is possible...

The techies will confirm...
WrestleEwe

Send a message via Skype™ to WrestleEwe 
2006-04-05, 09:00

Quote:
If it fscks up the partition table, the EFI, or the boot loader, a Windows Virus can of course destroy your OSX install. But IIRC Windows XP does not have read(or write) support for HFS+ so a virus in Windows at least cannot write to your Mac OS partition.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-04-05, 09:02

Cool.

What about those drums thumping that an official support for dual booting/virulaization would discourage developers from actually developing natively for OS X?
Alexia

Send a message via AIM to Alexia  
2006-04-05, 09:03

I think I was just given the perfect reason to buy an iMac, not having to hack around to have Windows dual boot.

Sweeeeeeeeeeet! Someone hold me, please? I'm so happy! I'm configuring an iMac right now!
WrestleEwe

2006-04-05, 09:03

I see that BootCamp requires the new firmware, also released today.

Do you guys think that Apple has gone the Quick and Dirty way of installing BIOS support in EFI (as per original Intel spec)?
mooty

2006-04-05, 09:04

It all comes down to common sense. If you had a PC with Windows, you wouldn't leave it vulnerable to attacks, so having one on a mac should be the same thinking.. A good virus software and some common sense can go far with Windows
WrestleEwe

2006-04-05, 09:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
What about those drums thumping that an official support for dual booting/virulaization would discourage developers from actually developing natively for OS X?
That was about the ability to run Windows programs at native speed WHILE running OS X.
Partial
Stallion

2006-04-05, 09:06

why are you guys so concerned about viruses? the virus problem with windows is because joe everybody is a jackass and has no idea what they're doing. You're mac users, act like it. I have had my pc on atleast 99% for of the time for the past 5 years, and have not once gotten a virus. I just updated Adaware for the first time in 37 days. I am scanning as we speak. The result of a full system scan? 0 pieces of malware. If you're not a dink you won't have a problem.

General rules of thumb - firefox, thunderbird, gaim, ares, foobar 2000, etc for your everyday computer usage. These keep you malware and virus free.

Don't be a nub, it's not like you get viruses just by logging into windows. If you're a semi-intelligent human being who can follow instructions you'll be fine.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-04-05, 09:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple
EFI and BIOS
Macs use an ultra-modern industry standard technology called EFI to handle booting. Sadly, Windows XP, and even the upcoming Vista, are stuck in the 1980s with old-fashioned BIOS. But with Boot Camp, the Mac can operate smoothly in both centuries.

They'll boot Windows. But they won't like it...

But, seriously, holy Fscking hell. That's brilliant. Now I need a new good reason not to buy a Intel Mini.
BFG

2006-04-05, 09:09

heheh, reading this thread i have come to a clear conclusion:

Windows running on macs is like marmite!

No im not mad, you either love it or you hate it, and the only thing that seems to get the same strong reactions is marmite (actually do you guys even have marmite in the US?)

Anway, this is awsome - for those of you that don't understand why etc etc well don't worry yourselves, you obviously don't need it don't want it so don't do anything. for everyone else im so pleased apple are doing what was being rumored... providing drivers to run windows on mac, and in true apple style

Mr Chuckles the Nipple Monkey
2.66Mac Pro 1900XT and lots of goodies
mooty

2006-04-05, 09:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38
Don't be a nub, it's not like you get viruses just by logging into windows. If you're a semi-intelligent human being who can follow instructions you'll be fine.
Actually, I am pretty sure there are virus's out there that can get into Windows just by you connecting to the net without a firewall in place... they sniff out random IP addresses and find systems that are unprotected... something like that!

But as you say, be sensible, and you'll be fine! Open attachments in pr0n email, and you get what you deserve!
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-04-05, 09:11

The announcement of BootCamp makes me extremely happy. I am now not limited to buying a windows based pc just because I will have to use Microsoft Access every once in a while because of Comm school. This means i will definetly purchase an intel iMac as soon as Apple starts their summer savings deal!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-04-05, 09:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrestleEwe
That was about the ability to run Windows programs at native speed WHILE running OS X.
and that's going to stop developers? Dual booting allow Windows to run at native speed, just not alongside. Seems to me just enough disincentive for developers to stick with their Windows code, unless I'm missing something.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-04-05, 09:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooty
i want an intel mac so i can play my pc games. thats all i want windows for!
I think that is what a lot of people will use it for..

The problem is no-one will port games to Macs anymore, not that Adobe and the like will stop supporting Apps.

It is the death knell for the Apple games industry.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
robert1014

2006-04-05, 09:19

Normally, I would be indifferent, as there were no Windows-only apps I cared about enough to want to use...until Microsoft bought Creature House's WONDERFUL vector/pixel drawing-painting app EXPRESSION, which they're presently developing...but as a WINDOWS-ONLY application.

I had actually considered whether to buy an inexpensive PC simply to buy and use MS Expression, but this obviates THAT necessity! (MS Expression is in beta only now, but hopefully will be officially released by the time Vista arrives. For artists out there, I urge you all to try this overlooked but brilliant software.)

Whoopee!!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-04-05, 09:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
I think that is what a lot of people will use it for..

The problem is no-one will port games to Macs anymore, not that Adobe and the like will stop supporting Apps.

It's not like the mac game side of things was all that great anyway. Really, why would you play a mac version of a game if there is a PC version of it? Games that are Mac only, of course, will be unaffected so I'm not sure that it really matters.
mooty

2006-04-05, 09:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
Thats interesting.... Why would Adobe etc bother anymore for macs though? What's in it for them? Surely something like bootcamp would put off most app ports ?
WrestleEwe

2006-04-05, 09:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
and that's going to stop developers? Dual booting allow Windows to run at native speed, just not alongside. Seems to me just enough disincentive for developers to stick with their Windows code, unless I'm missing something.
I think the fact that you'll have to reboot your computer to run that windows app will be enough disincentive for consumers to buy the app, thus forcing developers to create OSX programs.

Would you really be content to reboot, and thus not be able to use for instance your Mail and Calendar program (and all your other apps for that matter), just so you can edit that AutoCAD (or whatever) document?

EDIT: I just read the above comment, and I do agree that, since games are so immersive in nature, people will be willing to reboot for that. This could indeed very well be the end of Mac gaming.
BFG

2006-04-05, 09:32

Quote:
It's not like the mac game side of things was all that great anyway. Really, why would you play a mac version of a game if there is a PC version of it? Games that are Mac only, of course, will be unaffected so I'm not sure that it really matters.
Well don't most of you guys use macs because of the OS? Um and who said adobe won't bother... jeeze you must be nuts if you only bought a mac becuase of its cosmetic looks or hardware... the OS is the most inportant thing!! If a game is ported to OSX and runs as well as it does on windows (ie i guess we need DirectX sorted out) then why the hell would i want to boot windows up?

Other than games and the odd rare app, if you can allready do it just as well or better on OSX why on earth would you want to boot windows to do it instead? nuts.

Mr Chuckles the Nipple Monkey
2.66Mac Pro 1900XT and lots of goodies
JK47

2006-04-05, 09:33

Now the pros can move to an Intel Mac - if they have a XP license and a Windows version of Photoshop.
mooty

2006-04-05, 09:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFG
Other than games and the odd rare app, if you can allready do it just as well or better on OSX why on earth would you want to boot windows to do it instead? nuts.
We wouldnt, but hardly anyone ports games to mac. If they did, i wouldnt give two shits about this news...
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2006-04-05, 09:35

Teeeeeeeeerrrring!

(yeah that's dutch)

And isn't this a fantastic name for this program?
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-04-05, 09:40

Quote:
It could erase your entire HDD, Mac OS X partitions included? Any number of things could happen, but who cares?
sunrain
Veteran Member

2006-04-05, 09:41

Intentional or not, it's an awfully interesting way to 'celebrate' the 30th anniversary....with a Windows feature.

ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-04-05, 09:43

Do you hear that distant thunder? That's the devil, and he's having a cold. I think Apple will need to stop making hell freeze over quite that often, or they will get into trouble ...
HezMah19
Formerly "jmahe19"

Send a message via AIM to HezMah19  
2006-04-05, 09:47

Dear God...
Well, there's something to do tomorrow, my school has a volume license for XP and 8 brand new iMac Core Duos and a MBP on the way...
Wow, just...wow

jm.
neumac

2006-04-05, 09:50

My gut reaction is that this is a big gamble on Apple's part. It may greatly reduce the pressure on developers to create Mac software. As people have noted, why would Adobe spend the resources to develop universal binary versions of its apps; users can just boot in Windows. As good as Mac OS X has become, without third-party software it is of limited utility. Apple may be banking on its own software suite to carry the day, but I think that there is a great deal of uncertainty about which way this will go in the long run.
chartpacs

2006-04-05, 09:50

I don't use Framemaker, but a lot of people have been lamenting Adobe's decision to stop developing the Mac version. Maybe this announcement will offer some hope.

As for me, I would prefer to have Windows run in a separate window in Mac OS X, to check websites in Windows browsers. It would be counterproductive to keep rebooting.