AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Joining MPEG 2 files with AC3

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Joining MPEG 2 files with AC3
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2004-11-13, 03:46

I have a recording on my hard drive of a TV program I captured with my EyeTV HDTV tuner. 3/4 of the way through the show, the TV station stopped broadcasting any signal and the recording stopped. I manually resumed recording when it came back, but now I have separate 2 files for one show. The problem is, I need to combine these two files into one in order to compress them. (HDTV takes up 5GB for 40 minutes) The problem is not so much the video, but the audio. I can export the audio and video to separate files and join the video using ffmpeg, but the audio is in AC3 format and everything I try can't join it. (ffmpeg can not join files with AC3)

I have tried mpegtxwrap, ffmpeg, MissingMpegTools, MpegStreamclip, D-Vision, and *gasp* Quicktime Pro.

The closest I came was in Quicktime, (I can cut & paste the video and it looks good) but I can't save it to any HDTV format that ffmpeg can read. Also, if I export just the audio, it winds up about a minute longer than the video.

I am having a heck of a time trying to figure this one out, so if any fresh minds out there come up with anything, I'll try it.

Thanks;
-Ebby

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET