Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

HDMI vs. Component cables?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
HDMI vs. Component cables?
Wrao
Yarp

2008-01-04, 20:12

Would there be any conceivable reason for using component cables over HDMI? It seems to me as though, as soon as we swapped our input to HDMI, the signal has (for lack of a better word) stuttered and lagged every so slightly more than it was with the component cables. Does that makes sense? or am I imagining things?

I really don't understand all this HD stuff very well, I am amazed at how many complications have arisen (ranging from slight to moderate to annoying).
Ryan
Veteran Member

2008-01-04, 20:20

How long is your HDMI cable? Shortening the run might help with stuttering. If all else fails, there should be a master thread on the topic over at AVSForum.com (my standard advice when it comes to AV issues ).
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2008-01-04, 20:27

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5108580-5.html is the clearest table of cable connection features I've seen.

As long as your HDMI cable isn't too long, it's the best you'll get (digital), although Component is the best analog you can get if you're old skool.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
Wrao
Yarp

2008-01-04, 20:32

It is a particularly short cable, maybe 4 feet.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2008-01-04, 20:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
It is a particularly short cable, maybe 4 feet.
Well, that's certainly short enough.

*shrug*

Like I mentioned earlier, take a look at AVS.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-01-04, 21:04

HDMI has been a bit of a train wreck with loads of problems and incompatibilities. If the TV and the player don't use the same version of HDMI, that may be a problem. It may be they just don't like each other, for whatever reason.

Converted 07/2005.
Wrao
Yarp

2008-01-04, 22:28

So, would there be an easy way to find that out? the HDMI cable we are using actually came off of a really cheap DVD player, so maybe it is just a cheap cable in general.
Partial
Stallion

2008-01-04, 23:39

Quote:
So, would there be an easy way to find that out? the HDMI cable we are using actually came off of a really cheap DVD player, so maybe it is just a cheap cable in general.
Shouldn't make a difference in a digital connection. I bet its the version compatibility or something like that. You're right, its very confusing.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-01-05, 00:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38 View Post
Shouldn't make a difference in a digital connection.
Not really true, especially with the problems he is having... it could very well be a cheap or poor cable.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2008-01-05, 00:25

What's wrong with component cables? I've never really seen a good reason to jump to the clusterfuck that is HDMI 1.1/1.3

Is it noticeably better when it works?
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-01-05, 01:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend View Post
What's wrong with component cables? I've never really seen a good reason to jump to the clusterfuck that is HDMI 1.1/1.3

Is it noticeably better when it works?
http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messa...79/122868.html
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-08-04, 17:58

I'm about to get an AppleTV tonight and realized that I'm gonna need cables to hook it up. Which is going to be the best for me to use with the AppleTV and with a PS3? I have one component and one HDMI plus PC and composite (Spec Sheet).

I was thinking PS3 on HDMI and AppleTV on Component. Would this be my best option?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2008-08-04, 18:01

Quote:

My HDMI cables from monoprice were like $6 or something, and they work fine. Cost is not likely to be the issue.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-08-04, 18:17

At this point in time, no. Everything is headed towards HDMI so if you're going the HDTV / Blu-ray route, etc go with that.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-08-04, 21:08

I ended up getting HDMI for now because it's certainly the best for now with the AppleTV. The only question will be which one has the HDMI after I get the PS3. I'll likely add the unboxing images for giggles later.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-08-04, 21:17

turtle, I've got the same situation. PS3 and AppleTV but only one HDMI on my t.v. I went with an HDMI switcher from monoprice (I think they run like $30 now). Works like a charm. If you're running audio through the same HDMI input, you don't even have to switch anything else. It all goes through the HDMI switcher.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2008-08-04, 21:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Not really true, especially with the problems he is having... it could very well be a cheap or poor cable.
The time it takes a digital signal to traverse even 6 or 10 meters of cable is insignificant in terms of what is humanly perceivable. According to some quick calculations, you can cover the length of a 10m cable in 33ns at the speed of light (which is how fast the electric field travels through a cable). The entire purpose of digital connections is that they are more resilient to noise, interference, and signal degredation, which would be the only effects of shoddy cabling.

I find it HIGHLY unlikely that a shoddy digital cable is causing such problems. It's probably something else.

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-08-05, 07:01

I've used the same video source and swapped between component & HDMI to see which gave the better picture. In my case, I saw no difference in video quality.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2008-08-05, 09:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOfGed View Post
The entire purpose of digital connections is that they are more resilient to noise, interference, and signal degredation, which would be the only effects of shoddy cabling.

I find it HIGHLY unlikely that a shoddy digital cable is causing such problems. It's probably something else.
Eh, if the cable is super shoddy, then digital can fail spectacularly.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-08-05, 12:17

BTW, this was an almost 7 month bump....

It just fit my need better than starting a new thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
turtle, I've got the same situation. PS3 and AppleTV but only one HDMI on my t.v. I went with an HDMI switcher from monoprice (I think they run like $30 now). Works like a charm. If you're running audio through the same HDMI input, you don't even have to switch anything else. It all goes through the HDMI switcher.
I have to admit, I don't want to have to get up to flip the switch to make the change. I'm hoping for something I can do with remotes. Does that switcher have a remote? I have a great 14 year old who is today's equivalent to the antenna adjuster, but she won't always be here.

For the PS3, I'm really only getting it for Blu-Ray and Folding@Home along with the other goodies it can do with the web and such. I'm not a gamer at all and would likely only have a handful of games for it. I'm looking at the $400 version since I don't care about PS2 games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
I've used the same video source and swapped between component & HDMI to see which gave the better picture. In my case, I saw no difference in video quality.
This is part of what I'm wondering about the quality. I'm using a 32" with 1080i. Will I actually know the difference? While I was at the Navy Exchange I watched a really cool demo disk for Blu-Ray that split the screen and you could really tell the difference… on a 60" screen.

Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2008-08-05, 12:45

FWIW I got an HDMI cable from Monoprice and it was like $5 I think. I got it in blue for the PS3. It works perfectly. I haven't done any direct comparisons with component vs. hdmi, but hdmi works really well for me. Blu-Ray movies that are filmed in HD or remastered for HD look just spectacular.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2008-08-05, 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post

I have to admit, I don't want to have to get up to flip the switch to make the change. I'm hoping for something I can do with remotes. Does that switcher have a remote? I have a great 14 year old who is today's equivalent to the antenna adjuster, but she won't always be here.
I don't know about the $30 one referred to here, but they do make HDMI switchers that work with pragrammable remotes.

Personally, I just got a receiver that has HDMI switching built in (4 in, 1 out). But I needed a new receiver anyway.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-08-06, 00:01

Here's my setup right now.

Because I'm in an apartment still space is an issue. I had the Mini setup and have been using it with the TV for a little bit now. Problem is the Mini was to replace my G4 Mini that's got issues. (New Mini is by the fish tank hidden above the DVD burner.) As you can see, the extra keyboard and mouse really detract. Not like the other computers and DVDs don't, but I need the Mini to now actually do what it was intended. (The DVDs actually cover the 2 UPS and some of the networking gear.)

So the tv is going to be moved to where the Mini now is and the extra keyboard and mouse are going away with the Mini. The tv is a great way to simplify. I can't move the PC laying down due to apartment wiring because it's my main server/gateway. The vertical tower is my Vista Ultimate system used only for storage and Media Center.

So most of this stuff has to stay and I don't have the space to install a real sound system here either. This rules out a receiver, otherwise I'd be right on it.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-08-10, 12:11

Quote:
Sorry, just getting back to this thread. Yes, the switcher has a remote. I've got it programmed on my universal remote, too. IMO, the best way to go rather than having to switch inputs on the t.v.

edit: this is the one I've got. When I upgrade my receiver, I'll be sure to get one with HDMI switching, but until that point, it works just fine.