"I am Legend" Movie Thread--taking my twin boys tomorrow for their Birthday

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"I am Legend" Movie Thread--taking my twin boys tomorrow for their Birthday
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2007-12-13, 23:50

Tomorrow my twin boys are fifteen. (Yes, they are bigger than me and already a handful). So I am taken them and 6 of their closest friends to the 4:30 pm showing.

We saw the movie trailer a month ago and I said to them--"Wow, that looks a lot like the Omega Man Movie with Charlton Heston." Sure enough, did some research and realized the original book was "I am Legend" and this is the fourth adaption. In fact, Vincent Price did one of the adaptions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Omega_Man

Anyways, the movie is set in Manhattan, and since I commute each day to NYC, I thought the movie would be fun.

Did any one catch a sneak preview?

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
¡Damned!

2007-12-14, 00:04

Will Smith is my movie kryptonite, so no.

I will, however, be at the Xeve showing of AvP2. SO fun.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-12-14, 00:22

Smith was really good in The Pursuit of Happyness, and according to a review in the NY Times, I am Legend is also pretty good (and very much centered around him) - except for the explosions and stuff towards the end.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-12-14, 00:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
Smith was really good in The Pursuit of Happyness
Agreed. He can be a marvellous actor.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2007-12-14, 00:58

Eric's friends are dying to go see it, so I'm probably going to wind up tagging along. It doesn't look to be a terrible movie to me- the premise sounds interesting, for one- so it's not like I'm going to be going kicking and screaming either. It should be a fun movie to see.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Partial
Stallion

2007-12-14, 01:06

10 bucks says at some point in the movie there is an intense scene with him running. Will Smith seems to have an intense chase scene in every movie
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-12-14, 01:11

Quote:
Smith was really good in The Pursuit of Happyness
Think of this movie as "Pursuit of Happyness II."

He's come back to NY after having no luck in SF, he's still pursuing happiness only everyone else is dead and his son turned into a German Shepherd.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-12-14, 01:17

I'm interested in this flick only because of "The Dark Knight" connections...the trailer is attached to it at regular theaters, apparently, and the six-minute IMAX-formatted TDK prologue is attached to it at various IMAX theaters across the nation...Christopher Nolan filmed certain segments of the movie in high-def IMAX format, and a six-minute "opening scene" of next July's "The Dark Knight" - a Joker orchestrated bank robbery - is supposed to be played with IMAX showings of "I Am Legend". But the standard trailer is slated for everywhere else...

So, in other words, report back here on "The Dark Knight" trailer and how it looks (Batman, Joker, etc.).

I couldn't give two flaming flapjacks about Will Smith...I'm all about the bat.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-12-14, 10:56

Looks kind of interesting; I never saw the original. Will Smith can do a good job when he is directed the right way. Same with Robin Williams. If the director lets either get out of hand / slip out of character and into their stereotypical characters, it's bad news.

Example of Smith being directed well: Pursuit of Happiness, Enemy of the State

Example of Smith being directed poorly: Independence Day, Wild Wild West

Example of Smith being directed to be himself but no ham-acting: iRobot

My bet is this movie falls into the first category. If there aren't many people around and it's a serious subject, he has to act, not be a smart-ass constantly.

...into the light of a dark black night.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-12-14, 11:05

I like Will Smith as an actor, plus he's a Philly boy, gotta support the local talent.

I think I'm going to go and see this tonight. I'm gonna look around and see if it's in IMAX anywhere around here.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-12-14, 11:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Example of Smith being directed well: Pursuit of Happiness, Enemy of the State

Example of Smith being directed poorly: Independence Day, Wild Wild West

Example of Smith being directed to be himself but no ham-acting: iRobot
Right on the money.

I haven't seen Ali, so I can't comment on that, but I'm told it would fall into the first category.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-12-14, 11:27

Age does wonders for Smith. I don't constantly think of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air anymore when I see him. He looks a lot more grown-up and serious now, which makes him come across much better for roles that are not some dorky clown.

Jim Carrey is another example of an underrated comic actor. I can't stand his over-the-top craziness in most of his other movies, but he was phenomenal in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and I also liked him in The Truman Show.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-12-14, 11:34

re: Jim Carrey, I just gotta chime in with "Man on the Moon" as well. That's all.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-12-14, 11:38

I like both Carrey and Smith, but the most remarkable movie with a comic who transcended his previous exhibitions was "Reign Over Me" with Adam Sandler. It's the first movie where I felt he had acting ability as well as comic ability.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2007-12-14, 11:48

I got 8 tickets to 7 PM movie tonight with 7 adolescent boys. I'll post my thoughts later tonight.

BTW--the movie is pretty much sold out every where.

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
Fooboy

2007-12-14, 11:53

I am legend looks so awesome.

I have an emergency preperadness streak to me, so I dig societal breakdown movies even though I live an insulated suburban life.

I liked Children of Men as well.
Fooboy

2007-12-14, 11:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post

He's come back to NY after having no luck in SF, he's still pursuing happiness only everyone else is dead and his son turned into a German Shepherd.
That is hilarous. + Rep points inbound, fire in the hole!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-12-14, 12:11

The thing about Jim Carey IMO is that he suffers from the same problem Robin Williams does. There are two possible bad outcomes: let the hyperactive comic side of them out in a serious or semi-serious roll; or allow them to overdo the manic stuff. Seems like both of these guys have two gears if not directed properly: rapid-fire comedic mode and slit wrist mode. The movies that are great are the ones where they're not allowed to be either.

Good Will Hunting, you see many sides of Williams but he never loses his character / place. Somewhat true of Dead Poet's Society also. OTOH, in Good Morning Viet Nam is was allowed to be both the hyper clown and the manic guy, but somehow it worked. With Eternal Sunshine, I felt like Carey was trying a little too hard to seem vulnerable/depressed/etc, as Williams has done in some of his movies.

Not saying it was bad, just... a little off. Carey though could be a good actor. They just need to find him that perfect role. They don't come along very often. Williams' was in Good Will Hunting, bar none IMO.

Fooboy

2007-12-14, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post

Man... I keep laughing thinking of this.

Can you imagine a re-do of the bathroom scene? Will Smith sitting on the bathroom floor - foot propped against the door, stroking the head of his German Shepard ... fighting back tears as zombies beat on the door.
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2007-12-14, 12:50

Yeah, will smith is great, so far I have loved every movie that he has been in. I am seeing it at imax, there is a 10 min dark knight preview. Then alven, and then p.s. i love you. oy vey
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-12-14, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooboy View Post
Man... I keep laughing thinking of this.

Can you imagine a re-do of the bathroom scene? Will Smith sitting on the bathroom floor - foot propped against the door, stroking the head of his German Shepard ... fighting back tears as zombies beat on the door.
Just wait for the DVD version of I am Legend. I'm sure there's an alternate ending.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-12-14, 13:05

Wait... this is a zombie movie? Or more like that classic Twilight Zone where the guy ends up being the last person on earth, breaking his glasses (and thus can't read anymore), etc... only without the glasses part?

Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2007-12-14, 13:05

I look forward to reviews, I'd like to see this movie too. I'll admit to being a Will Smith fan too, I think he has some serious ability as an actor... just doesn't use it in every movie. I agree with Moogs too.
chucker

2007-12-14, 13:16

Quote:
Age does wonders for Smith. I don't constantly think of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air anymore when I see him. He looks a lot more grown-up and serious now, which makes him come across much better for roles that are not some dorky clown.
I think that's true too. His recent movies tend to be better than 90s' stuff.
zsummers
Avast!

2007-12-14, 14:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38 View Post
10 bucks says at some point in the movie there is an intense scene with him running. Will Smith seems to have an intense chase scene in every movie

I enjoy those scenes though--even the many in Pursuit of Happyness. In fact, I think Will Smith might somehow have become my official "box-office draw." I'll probably try to go see this movie in the theaters, even though I wait for most everything else. I know my wife will like anything he's in (even though she doesn't do horror), and I know there's a good chance I'll enjoy it too. We leave the risky movies for Netflix--that way she can turn them off or I can make fun of them out-loud.

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-12-14, 14:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooboy View Post
I liked Children of Men as well.
Children of Men was incredible - a good story, great acting, and some of the best cinematography in the last ten years. It all just fit together beautifully. What an awesome movie.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-12-14, 18:13

All right just saw the trailers. This movie is different than what I thought but it looks very cool. I am taking my wife. Pray for me because it's my suggestion, and if the dog dies [don't tell me, I don't want to know], I am going to be in for a long, chilly weekend.

ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-12-14, 18:26

Dogs never die in Hollywood movies.
¡Damned!

2007-12-14, 18:36

SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2007-12-14, 19:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post
I like both Carrey and Smith, but the most remarkable movie with a comic who transcended his previous exhibitions was "Reign Over Me" with Adam Sandler. It's the first movie where I felt he had acting ability as well as comic ability.
Did you not see Punch Drunk Love & Spanglish?